I would bet my creds that its going to be a paid expansion

Gersidi

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/06/e3-2012-expanding-the-old-republic

"[...] no charge beyond the subscription fee."

:confused: <-- Confused

A raised level cap, new skills for all classes, another Operation and an entirely new questing planet are all on the way for The Old Republic fans along with many more features, and they’ll all be added in through content patches for no charge beyond the subscription fee.

Read it. Its classic BW talk. The way it is worded it you can say that the many more features will be added in content patckes for free and that the cap,ops,skills and planet will not be free.

Now if it said after the comma, and everything will be added through content patches for no charge beyond the subscription fee, then you can say none of it will be in a paid expansion.

Edited by Emeda

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey who knows.. they gave away alot of free content in 1.2 i wouldtn be surprised if it was free. considering they didnt mention anything about expansion just new content

A few MMo's I have been involved in have increased lvl cap, and none did it in an expansion..........always in some way to increase the scope for content etc.

A raised level cap, new skills for all classes, another Operation and an entirely new questing planet are all on the way for The Old Republic fans along with many more features, and they’ll all be added in through content patches for no charge beyond the subscription fee.

Read it. Its classic BW talk. The way it is worded it you can say that the many more features will be added in content patckes for free and that the cap,ops,skills and planet will not be free.

Except BW did not write the article.

Maybe they just forgot to say in an upcomming expansion.

Have you even seen any MMO raise the level cap without being in an expansion?

Let me preface by saying I don't believe it will be the case here. But yes, actually, Everquest 2 just recently raised their level cap by 2 without an expansion. Of course, the most recent expansion had next to nothing worth noting in it, so...

And apparently that model didn't pan out for them because the teased next expansion for the game will be a content expansion. Information on how further level cap increases in that game will be handled isn't available, to the best of my knowledge.

Except BW did not write the article.

So we have no proof if he understood it correctly. How about a quote from someone at BW/EA that said it.

Also this would be a perfect time for a yellow to come in and say it will not be a paid expansion and it will all be free. Then they could close the thread and everyone can go back to playing the game instead.

Why dont they? Who knows. :rak_02:

Edited by Emeda

The tweets by Stephen Reid are interesting... I wonder why the community managers here on the forums havent seen it fit to clarify this thread and others like it, that talk about the expansion pack. Maybe things changed after Reid was fired?

Because TOR has poor community communications procedures. For example it is very common to see blue posts on WoW forums, within the player's threads, but the posts by the moderators or game leaders is rare on these forums. Excluding the posts made by them when they close a thread. :p

Edited by Valkirus

TOR does not do expansions, it does free updates. We were told this before launch are told after launch.

The top MMO's all do some "free updates". They also do some expansions you have to pay for. TOR will not be a exception. Sure..it will be a while ( maybe year or more ) before they do a expansion.

Its fully possible that its free IMO. Does the doc give the results of the survey? Regardless is the plan was an expansion why would EA pass up the opportunity to start hyping it up at E3? Doesn't really make any sense to me. Specially considering its planned for this year (6 months left). Not that I think EA is above this kind of bs, but given the circumstances, I doubt it. It's way too cash shop-ish to me ... I may even quit from it. Its way too few in features to be "sold" at all. Specially when you consider some of these have to be part of another patch! I doubt they expect us to do EC for the test of the year. No ... if EA pulls this crap, I'm out.

And mmo's raise level cap all the time, TERA for one, off the top of my head did it before it was released here.

Edited by MasterKayote

Id happily pay for an expansion for this game.. just one with adequate additions or expansions to pay for.. the Announcements in E3 alone IMO are not enough for this unless it was a very small fee.

But something like complete open space and / or a whole class chapter (although they may have to go down one chapter per faction to reduce 8 separate stories). It would be cool / good if they can incorporate these into existing planets too so that it mixes it up a bit and the planets are just just level 24-28 for example

Its difficult enough for the game to warrant my £10 a month, let alone making me fork out more cash upfront after i had already wasted it on Collectors Edition, and got **** all in return.

Im bored of this game, but followed it from the start and invested alot of time in it. i dont like the direction its heading it but willing to give it a chance, perhaps until GW2 or Elder Scrolls. But if they make me pay for an expansion which will give me nothing i enjoy on that list, yeah.... they can go **** themselves.

There is no way i will pay for this after the clusterfrak of mistakes bio has made. Poor management and communication, horrible bugs ect, dead servers ect and my fave tab targeting. Their arrogance has cost the community dearly.

Now if all issues are fixed, pvp is great,pve is hopping, things arent game breaking, pop is good.

Maybe just maybe i might but i highly doubt i would pay for anything if i am still here.

They need to mend fences and repair what they have done first, shore up what is left and move forward.

It is going to take me a while to get over the fact i left my server (friends) just so i could have access to content and pvp.

Ugh. More of the same will not solve what ails this game. As a paying subscriber, I am even more disturbed thinking that game development resources are being directed to a cash grab DLC/Expansion instead of providing the content and fixes this game needs YESTERDAY.

All the new stuff announced today? Seems plausible to be free content updates... that is until you consider the level cap increase. No MMO I can think of raises level cap without it being part of an expansion.

Look at this EA marketing survey leaked a couple weeks ago. It contains "packages" that can be purchase that include different content options. Every "package", includes three things announced today: level cap increase, new planet Makeb, and playable Cathar.

Under each package is written, "How much would you pay for this expansion?".

Here is a link to the surveys:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw6sp6dpJKRcaDdKTHFnQlp6Wjg/edit?pli=1

You can pass me all your credits now :)

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/06/06/e3-2012-expanding-the-old-republic

E3 2012: Expanding The Old Republic

BioWare outlines where its Star Wars MMO is headed next.

by Charles Onyett JUNE 6, 2012

Ugh. More of the same will not solve what ails this game. As a paying subscriber, I am even more disturbed thinking that game development resources are being directed to a cash grab DLC/Expansion instead of providing the content and fixes this game needs YESTERDAY.

Same here. My subscription cart is still rolling downhill, heading toward that big cancel boulder at the bottom . It needs some real useful game content updates/changes ( brakes ) to stop the downhill roll.

Edited by Valkirus

It's nice to get new content. but my hope is they are looking at some vary glaring issues with the game before adding more levels and another race.

Right now so many things that need to be looked at and fixed to appeal to new players and us who will stick it out.

You wont make this game a success by copying Wow wheels. BW needs to make the game more alive and virtual less static and more vibrant.

Much more that should be priority one.

Someone didnt get the memo were many troopers wanted to smah aric jorgans face or hide it. just not sure why cathar? maybe a dev was a big thundercat fan.

Bottom line is they need to start adding more roleplay features more virtual world off the rails. maybe even, dare I say sandbox features.

Peace

Future content fails to excite me when we are still awaiting fundamental content: healthy server populations, World PvP content, and Rated WZs.

Moreover, I believe that the new content will be sold for $$. That's the industry model, and EA/BW have been following the MMO herd, not innovating. And I can't pay justify paying for new content when I've been waiting six months for basic content.

Well, that looks promising, everyone should look at that link. No paid expansion (yet), Not yet but comming Soon (by the end of the year).and he even says the "secret" space project will be announced soon, and all indications point to it being 3d multiplayer.

He never said the new planet etc was not part of an expansion, and he would not say they would not do an expansion. There is some survey wwhatever (dont know if its real or not) but its funny that pops up at the about the same time they mention level caps increases,which in the came they copy,has always been from a paid expansion.

Why would the EA/BW people stop copying WoW now, when all they care about is getting as much money as possible from everyone.

He never said the new planet etc was not part of an expansion, and he would not say they would not do an expansion. There is some survey wwhatever (dont know if its real or not) but its funny that pops up at the about the same time they mention level caps increases,which in the came they copy,has always been from a paid expansion.

Why would the EA/BW people stop copying WoW now, when all they care about is getting as much money as possible from everyone.

Because this "game they copy" is about to release a pretty big expansion at around the same time? An expasion thats way ahead of anything they announed? Not saying its impossible but your kinda grasping at straws when you argue how an article didnt specifically go down the list of "free" upcoming features with only a random uncredited survey found on the internet to back it up. At MOST its being considered, and even that is a stretch at this point imo.

Edited by MasterKayote

Because this "game they copy" is about to release a pretty big expansion at around the same time? An expasion thats way ahead of anything they announed? Not saying its impossible but your kinda grasping at straws when you argue how an article didnt specifically go down the list of "free" upcoming features with only a random uncredited survey found on the internet to back it up. At MOST its being considered, and even that is a stretch at this point imo.

IF the survey would have popped up at some other time then maybe but it popped up about the same time as they announced a new planet etc. Look at the survey and see how many similarities there are to what they said they were adding and what it lists as they are adding. If it is a fake survey then someone had to be able to read minds to put it out right before it was anounced.

I could be wrong and it could be free but looking at the whole picture leads me to believe it wont be. The only thing that you have to think it will be free is them not saying its a paid expansion.

All the new stuff announced today? Seems plausible to be free content updates... that is until you consider the level cap increase. No MMO I can think of raises level cap without it being part of an expansion.Look at this EA marketing survey leaked a couple weeks ago. It contains "packages" that can be purchase that include different content options. Every "package", includes three things announced today: level cap increase, new planet Makeb, and playable Cathar.

Under each package is written, "How much would you pay for this expansion?".

Here is a link to the surveys:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw6sp6dpJKRcaDdKTHFnQlp6Wjg/edit?pli=1

OK, so DathHater asked if the new content had full companion content and DE said NO! If they want you to pay for an expansion they would give you the full experience you would expect....

This is content they've had mapped out that they are rushing to keep subs active (that's not meant to be a criticism and I'm still happy with the old content at the moment).

IF the survey would have popped up at some other time then maybe but it popped up about the same time as they announced a new planet etc. Look at the survey and see how many similarities there are to what they said they were adding and what it lists as they are adding. If it is a fake survey then someone had to be able to read minds to put it out right before it was anounced.

I could be wrong and it could be free but looking at the whole picture leads me to believe it wont be. The only thing that you have to think it will be free is them not saying its a paid expansion.

Funny.. how you mention the fact that it popped up at about the same time as proof that it actually is legit.. while you would think that it is actually more proof against it.

You see, it is easy to drag a game down by doing something like this as 'leaked' bad press once the info is out there. At about the same time actually is proof against prior knowledge. Because you know.. if this was a real survey, do you not think EA would have done this well before deciding what to present and how to present it on the biggest game show on the planet?

Yeah, exactly..