Prior to TORs release, did you ever think SWG would outlast it?

blur

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure you have really understood the question I've posed.

I don't think YOU understand the question you posted...

The question is obsolete, SWG and SWTOR could never co-exist, it's not even in the hypothetical.

It doesn't matter how many people subscribe to the game. What matters is that the servers have enough people on them that people feel like it's an MMO and can find groups quickly. What matters is that the people who are subscribing, are logging in and having fun.

7 million people play Zynga Texas Holdem Poker each day. :)

Not everyone liked SWG, to be expected. For those of us that do though, I'm betting this video will pretty much sum it up without words.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK6Zv1U2qhw

It's more a matter of which came kept you coming back. I couldn't wait to play SWG when i got home from work, if there was nothing to do, id get the city sorted out, or move some houses around, add some decos to the guild city... among many many other things to keep you occupied.

Reverse engineering CRAPPED on swtor RE

If people are going to demand one from me, then they should provide their own before even making demands.

Otherwise.....

Here you go. WoW West is US/EU. WoW East is China.

P.S. - This site is well-respected as being accurate, since it has proven to be so time and time again.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Simple question.

Because, from where most realists are sitting, TORs not going to last as long as SWG did.

It's a pretty mind-blowing concept, frankly. Especially considering how horrible most people think SWG was.

Hmmm. A novel approach you have, OP. A QQ thinly disguised as a comparison. Bravo! Well done! /end sarcasm with golf-clap

Now, where are you statistics? How many is "most"? Who are "most people"? Who are your "realists"? Just because you don't like it, doesn't automatically shove you into the majority. LOL

Throw it up again I want to read your post. This is a really lazy Sunday for me.

Long post...can't even begin to remember what all I said...but I do remember I talked a bit about about the SWGEmu & that's probably why it was stealth erased, dammit.

Simple question.

Because, from where most realists are sitting, TORs not going to last as long as SWG did.

It's a pretty mind-blowing concept, frankly. Especially considering how horrible most people think SWG was.

hmmm well seeing as SWG died when they did the CU and NGE and during its peak time it maybe only had 750k subs and then quickly dropped down to less then10k where as SWTOR had at its peak so far 1.7 million subs I would say SWTOR is more then likely going to out live SWG with out a problem.

Can you tell me who these "realist" are?

Simple question.

It won't touch SWG's eight year duration. I mentioned this on our guild FB site before TOR's December release date, and I'll stand by my statement.

Honestly though, I hope it does. Saw Star Wars as a kid back in '77 and still thoroughly enjoy anything having to do with Star Wars.

I don't think YOU understand the question you posted...

The question is obsolete, SWG and SWTOR could never co-exist, it's not even in the hypothetical.

Sure they could--and except for a very shrewd group in one key company and a _____ (the word I'd use isn't nice lol) exec of another key company (who later left), it's likely both games would be co-existing right now. Somedays I wish my NDA's weren't there.

The games are quite different and cater to different audiences. In fact, they likely would have complimented each other by bringing subs from one to the other. LA would be getting more cash now, however it's likely EA might have forfeited some.

I'm one of those who intended to play both. TOR would/will never get more than one sub from me, but my multiple subs for SWG would all still be active in addition to that one TOR sub.

hmmm well seeing as SWG died when they did the CU and NGE and during its peak time it maybe only had 750k subs and then quickly dropped down to less then10k where as SWTOR had at its peak so far 1.7 million subs I would say SWTOR is more then likely going to out live SWG with out a problem.

Can you tell me who these "realist" are?

Even near the end it was higher than 10k lol. Not sure where that number came from. Estimates were somewhere around 40-50k and steady for the games final two years, though some estimates put it as low as 25k.

You may be interested to know how f2p are counting the number of account. Well, they just count the number of account. Not active or anything. For example the chinese bot who grind and sell gold, he have like 10-20account. Or this guy who tried the game for 5minutes, he also have an account.

10m account on f2p is the less they can do, and it doesn't mean it successful.

I already know that, but the same could be said here. How many accounts are actually active here? Instead of those who are just waiting for their subs to end? The same argument stands for WoW as well. BSG online is a shockingly boring game but when ever I've logged on the server is full and you constantly see other players.

Hahahaaha!!!!!1111111

really? BSG? really?! sure it probably has more than 9 million now. i'm probably part of that number as well because i registered. who even knows how far back i registered and played it for less than a hour never touched it again.

just so you know maple story has almost double the subs that WOW has i think they're sitting at some 20 million perhaps more.

We should all go play Maple Story AMIRIGHT?!

You entirely missed the point. BSGonline is rubbish yes. But the company still counted all those who registered. The way things work here is they count the number of subs that may or may not be playing. They count in the subs that have been given a free 30 days as well. That doesn't make up an accurate count of who is logging in and playing.

Numbers are meaningless, especially when the active player base isn't counted in (those logging in for more than 3 minutes, ignoring alts etc).

Edit:

The only reason I don't see this game lasting 8+ years is because of the engine issues and when it comes to finally optimising the beast that is hero there may be excessive downtime causing more subs to bleed. Ignoring the community here that to be honest are more likely to destroy this game further from their wanting of making things easier and changing the decision making process and companion deaths.

Because Bioware pander to people wanting things to be easy and not have any implications to your story later down the line the game is already vastly different to what it was in the earlier stage.

Edited by sambeta

Simple question.

Yes, because it isn't sandbox, has no meaningful open-world pvp (and space combat for that matter), and based off a trinity system. Now you can argue that WoW has made it the mile, but TOR offered us NOTING new. Yes, capitol "NOTHING," but that's what you get when you invest over 500 million the wrong way. I'm sure this ship will sink in the same amount of time it takes WARHAMMER to do the same but.. it is what it is, just another "Titanic (flop) themepark POS"

Edited by slapslapslap

Nope. if something BIG does not happen soon then this game will be a ghost town by the end of the year.

I dont care what other people think but imo SWG was 50 x better than this. 8 years for SWG and this game WILL struggle to make 1 year.

I agree, I think that the community is split into nice people who go on the forums (like Dulfy), unsubbed ragers that dominate the forums (like the writers of those cliche SWTOR-is-horrible posts that pop up every day), and everyone else who is smart enough not to go on the forums at all.

This right hur.

Alot of ppl will disagree about this but IMO SWG was the best MMO game ever made... Don't think it ever will be a game like that. Of course it had it's bad sides but with the right treatment I think that game could have gone real far. SWG wasn't a flop, this game is. They let us player start playing before it was far far away from done... they didn't had any backup plans. If A goes wrong what do we do? Building a game takes long time ofc but they realised the game way too early.... I mean.... so many servers? How on earth did they expect to have some many servers? And even if they thought it could work with so many servers, why didn't they make a plan B - already had character transfer ready. The game had alot more that should have been dealt with before realise... eg why didn't they had leagcy ready at start? "Coming soon" was there for ages...

My thoughts are; ppl are saying SWG was crap, well sorry about this but what's this game then? It's sad to say it but come on... crafting system here - nearly pointless. World pvp - There's no open world pvp. Questing - well nice stories but i'm not a RPer and couldn't care less. The mobs are just standing doing nothing and the plants feels real dead. After finishing a quest you'll never ever go back to that place/mob.... A game with locked maps where you have to run on different paths to get to A - B... But don't get me wrong, I enjoy many parts of the game but it's alot things that's not going to keep me here for ages... SWG had that part that could keep people for loong time.

SWG was a fun game. It was not perfect by any means and it developed a great deal of hate after the NGE,

but many people stayed because SWG provided simple interactivity with other players, the game was not based soley on obtaining new gear.

The worlds were easy to move around in, /say was always default so even to new players it was easy to communicate. They had an appearance tab which was awesome and player owned stores were great places to shop.

SWTOR is just too much of a pain to stay interested in for too long IMO. The loading times and travel times to get to just lonely MOB filled areas just to kill some stuff so you can raise 300K just to remove mods so you can look half way decent is just plain not fun.

SWG did not have alot to do all the time, but it was doen with other people and if you got bored you could always decorate your house or your ship.

SWTOR has stuff to do but nobdy wants to do it and if your on a dead server, well I can only fly around fleet so many times.

Nope. if something BIG does not happen soon then this game will be a ghost town by the end of the year.

I dont care what other people think but imo SWG was 50 x better than this. 8 years for SWG and this game WILL struggle to make 1 year.

It's a ghost town now tbh..

SWG there was always someone, even on dead servers. Here there is no-one on lively servers... if you can call them that.

Edited by Aedey

Gonna say no. When it comes down to it, SWG appealed to an extremely small percentage of gamers in relation to TOR, and on top of that it wasn't a very well made game. TOR's quality of production is much, much higher than SWG's ever was and that alone would have eventually lead to LA just pulling the plug, or making it go completely F2P with a cash shop. As it stands, SWG whether you liked it or not, was not a good investment no matter how you cut it, the game was pretty much broken beyond saving from launch, all the way to when the switch was flicked, it would have had to been rebuilt from the ground up with a whole new engine to bring it even close to the quality you see in TOR.

Prior to TOR's release, I had vowed to spend the next several years of my life playing it. And here I am, not even 6 months into the game contemplating whether or not it's worth my money anymore.

I don't think anyone anticipated the rate of failure this game would endure.