The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[POLL] Extra Character Slots per Server?

TolaSrrup

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to have more character slots per server. How about ten? Ten is nice, I really like ten.

I could live with ten for a while. But I really think that you should have at least 16 slots as long as the legacy is restricted to one server. If I create an new character on another server, I would love to have an option, which allows me to decide, if i want to start a new legacy or synchronize with an existing legacy of mine. Best soltuion for me would be - as I said - a slots-per-account-system, because I could still play with my guild and freinds.

Edited by Clipperson

I also would like to see more character slots. 16 would be nice because it would allow for playing each AC. It would also allow for someone to see the contrast of playing light side vs dark side for each class. I enjoy the story and while I realize things are not dramatically altered, there is a different feel when playing light side vs dark side.

I could probably come up with more reasons (like new species being added to the game) but those are my main reasons.

I think we should get a free char slot every time we reach level 50 with a toon. But capping at 16 slots.

I like this idea. I think its a reasonable way to unlock character slots.

i would definitely like more character slots, especially once Cathar is released (trying to decide if I want to keep playing my sage, or stop because i want a Cathar and she'd be the only one that would fit for reroll, at the moment). its not just about playing different advance classes, its also about playing different genders light side, or dark side, which romance you pursue (or don't). and leveling parallel legacies on 2 different servers was a bit... much for me, personally.

If they really want us to experience every story on one server, then they need to make enough slots for each story on one server. Simple as.

Well... they do. Barely. Unless you're counting different romances as separate stories in their own right.

If they really want us to experience every story on one server, then they need to make enough slots for each story on one server. Simple as.

well ... they do. Some of us just like to go through the story multiple time with different outcomes (ls/ds).

Since my thread was shut down, here's my thoughts reposted:

Up until now, I'd been playing all my bad guys on one server, all my good guys on another. While I haven't played them all up all the way yet, I've got a pretty good handful of characters that are hovering around the 20-30 mark with some more waiting in the wings as soon as play the others out and some as high as 40 and 50.

(And by Good Guys and Bad Guys, I mean Republic and Sith. I have 8 characters each server, two of each archetype – one playing as sweetness and light and the other as mean and nasty.)

So suddenly I’ve got 16 characters - both my servers - being consolidated into one.

Assuming that the information of being able to buy more slots is correct (which it very well may not be, but for the sake of argument, let’s pretend it is), I'm going to be mighty pissed if that's the case. I'm in this situation by no fault of my own. I'm even willing to scramble to come up with new, good names that I like despite playing this since day one. But now I'm going to either have to pay some real world money or give up a bunch of characters that I put some significant work into?

That, my friends, is a load of crap.

Also, I wonder how long the transfers will be open for? If the additional slots are coming, I’ll be willing to sit on my hands and bide my time with my <8 characters, but I'd hate for the transfers be shut down on me. (Or worse for them to go “You can transfer your other characters into the 9-16 character slots you just paid for. . . provided that you pay us for transferring them for you!”)

Edited by El_Kabong

I would gladly pay for extra slots. BioWare really messed up here. This is where copying from industry standards was a mistake. They could make a KILLING allowing extra slots per server. A KILLING.

I definitely could benefit from more slots. The immediate issue for me is all my transfers point to the same destination server and I have more than 8 toons across servers which I do play regularly for various reasons (i.e. my main toons I regularly use, some toons that I use to play with friends who don't play regularly so they don't out level them, toons I use to try out different story options, etc.). So I don't really want to delete any of them.

The other reason I could benefit from more slots is taking advantage of the legacy unlocks. The thing that never added up for me in the beginning was that they had 8 slots and 9 races. And then when they announced the legacy unlocking races, it had a 2-fold problem for me. You had to unlock 9 races with only 8 slots to use and once you unlock a race to use you need another slot if you want to make use of that feature. So in that sense I always thought that logically, cross-server legacy would be coming down the pipeline soon.

I definitely think that more slots are needed but I also think that cross-server legacy would eliminate some reasons for needing more slots as well. I know they already mentioned that it is an infrastructure issue for that so at least it's good to know it's in the works.

I wouldn't mind more slots per server, but as you can see I have two accounts :D. Thus, I don't really need more, but it would be nice to have most of my characters on one account.

Actually, what I want is a way to link my two accounts. Thus, both accounts share same legacy and legacy bonuses.

Edited by _Babydoll_

Oh please please more slots!!! I unlocked some species, and have 2 chiss and 2 miraluka, 2 purebloods, a cyborg, and a ratataki......I still want a Twilek, a mirilan, not to mention a Cathar when they are release. 16 slots should be standard!

This would be awesome, I agree with all the points in the OP, and would like to add the following concern: my lowest level character of my 8 is level 17, that means if any of my friends who don't currently play the game join, I won't be able to play with them untill they are well past black talon range, and also out of free trial range.

Hands down, the best part of the game is the story. Being able to check out the other advanced classes, or even rolling both a light and dark side character of the same class would be a huge plus.

Legacy also feels a little gimp with only 8 characters, being able to add say 16 would provide a much more robust tree

Also, I can't imagine it would be too hard to add this, just gotta add a scroll bar on the character list and in the leagacy window pre-added to tree. I'd suggest maybe adding 2 character slots with 1.3/1.4 and another 2 with the expansion to allow for use of the new races/classes, then another 2 midway through the expansion type of thing, to effectively keep adding some leveling content for players, without requiring them to delete their current cahracters to explore other aspects of the game.

A final note, you can only play 1 at a time, so adding more slots shouldn't negatively impact server population and would actually help keep leveling zones lively and spacing out character slot additons should help with that too

I would appreciate 2 more character slots. 10 character slots is kind of the industry norm at this point - yet we only have eight. BOOOOOOOO.

Heck, you could even go crazy and split the server in two - allow eight toons of EACH faction for a total of 16 chars per server. That'd be nice, perhaps a bit much though.

But at least give us 10.

Many more slots or paid transfer ability to a different mega server would help.

Both Krayt Dragon and Shadow Hand were merged into the same destination server and of course I built my Empire/Republic characters around those servers. I generally keep them separate so I have the ability to expand with alts and future exp/etc. I can't transfer that 2nd server over or I'll have no space left.

17 slots to me would be the ideal.

16 slots to create one character of every AC, while still leaving one open so that after i got 16 characters to max level, I would still be able to play around with lower level content again and again, trying new stuff out.

You could even use the 17th slot to develop a replacement while keeping the original around. You might want to have a Cathar as one of your characters, for example, so when they are introduced you could begin levelling one up to replace whatever you currently have, whether you try anything differently or not.

Now I do not think that I would ever want that many, but that would be enough, I think, for most players.

I am sure that some people would want 48+, so that they could create one character that specialized in a different skill tree for each AC for every class.

Still, if they add additional character slots at a 'reasonable' price then I have no reason to believe that they would not absolutely fly off the virtual shelves.

I think that 8 is a fair number, but I also think that many people would like to see a few more.

Especially with HK (and whatever else may come in the future) requiring characters on both sides of the war.

I could definitely use more slots. I've got two servers I played on, and they're both being merged to Harbinger, thus overflowing me. Even two more would help, but I'll take all I can get. Heck, City of Heroes used to allow you to pay 5 or 10 bucks for a batch of new slots, and I'd be willing to do that here. I'd prefer not to, but I would. With the amount we're encouraged to play up our Legacies it seems like we should be given the resources to keep our characters on one server.