Can Bioware Rescue This Game?

Karabal

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Diablo 3 killed my server, I cant even imagine what another MMO is gonna do.

some people will leave.. some will come back...not a big deal the population will either sort itself out with the transfers or it will not.. if it doesnt then the game will be a niche market game, and will be played by a dedicated group of people.. alot like swg near its end.. but i am pretty sure ea wont close the game down for years yet.

I think the game will survive but perhaps fill a niche market. The two big things BioWare needs to do sooner rather than later if merge serves and introduce a LFG tool. I think this would alleviate some of the angst.

A couple of things that would make me happy is introduce more sandboxy things in the game. As the game stands right now, once you reach 50, there isn't much to do other than grind dailies, PvP or so HM FPs/raid. Rerolling and exploring the other class stories is an option but going through the same content multiple times becomes mind numbling. Perhaps if there were alternate leveling paths, it wouldn't be so painful. I do love the class stories but I just can't bring myself to level yet another character and see the same old content a third, forth, fifth time. Give me some hobby systems. Give me player housing. Give me another crafting profession to make said items for my house. So much potential there.

I'm not sure about GW2. I played it a bit and really liked what I saw. Also, don't forget about TSW which launches this month. I've been playing it and have to stay that I'm intrigued and preordered. It can also flounder being a Funcom game but it also may be a sleeper hit too. It is hard to say how new games will fare.

Excellent post. I agree with almost all of that. Apart from the bit at the end about TSW. I thought it looked fresh and interesting too but Its backed by EA, and if EA cant put the effort into an IP like SWTOR then that does not bode well for TSW.:(

GW2 is absolutely going to hammer a big nail into TORs coffin.

Not only is there no monthly fee, but there's as much content, and it's presented in a far more interesting way.

And, dare I remind anyone, GW2 isn't based on grinding for the best gear; a fatal mistake TOR made by copying WoW.

I hope you and your credit card have fun over there. I'm sure it'll be the bestest game ever.

Hello everyone!

We just wanted to remind you all that threads on these forums should focus primarily on Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, not other games, and it appears that this particular conversation may be veering off in that direction. We will leave the thread open for now, but please do remember to keep the conversation on-topic for these forums.

Edited by Averran

Hello everyone!

We just wanted to remind you all that threads on these forums should focus primarily on Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, not other games, and it appears that this particular conversation may be veering off in that direction. We will leave the thread open for now, but please do remember to keep the conversation on-topic for these forums.

Yep I didn't really post the thread to discuss other games. But more to find out if the community thought the game can/will be rescued.

Yep I didn't really post the thread to discuss other games. But more to find out if the community thought the game can/will be rescued.

And there is only like ten can SWTOR be saved threads floating around now...and none of them were posted as flame bait threads I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Hello everyone!

If you have 3 girl friends and you are trying to settle for one...you would compare them to each other. Just saying. :rolleyes:

Will you say the game is fine when they go under a million subs? Under 500k Subs? When will it not be fine for you?

Actually the game will be in much better shape when all the folks who are disappointed just move on. If that leaves us with 500K subscribers who like the game and are willing to be patient, then yes the game will be better off.

And there is only like ten can SWTOR be saved threads floating around now...and none of them were posted as flame bait threads I'm sure. :rolleyes:

There are 2 threads that slightly resemble but are not quite the same as the question I asked. Don't insinuate that I'm posting a thread with malicious intent. Post a constructive comment instead of 'trying' to be smart.

Edited by Karabal

Actually the game will be in much better shape when all the folks who are disappointed just move on. If that leaves us with 500K subscribers who like the game and are willing to be patient, then yes the game will be better off.

Not really. Money is the driving force behind any MMO's success for future success with added content and expansions...etc. I hate to break it to you....but making money is the primary focus for any gaming company. BioWare is no different. They are not making this game just to be nice to the players. :p What they need to do is take into account all the complaints about the game and then compare those against thier own internal tracking data to see what direction they should be headed in.

BioWare can rescue the game. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. Rescuing the game now means they need to dish out both content and features, and fast. The community NEEDS transfers and merges, LFG tools, and pvp *and* world pvp, and we need more content to play. We also need all of this fast, as the population is slowly getting smaller and smaller, and the fact that a lot of good games are launching soon, especially GW2.

Unfortunately, BW has proven so far that they lack a long term plan for the game, and are horrendously slow in updates.

Not really. Money is the driving force behind any MMO's success for future success with added content and expansions...etc. I hate to break it to you....but making money is the primary focus for any gaming company. BioWare is no different. They are not making this game just to be nice to the players. :p What they need to do is take into account all the complaints about the game and then compare those against thier own internal tracking data to see what direction they should be headed in.

There are hundreds of MMOs that still get updates and make money with less than 500K subs. No, we really will be better off when all the whiners are gone.

GW1 didn't kill any games, GW2 isn't going to, either.

I am hoping it will draw off the noisy obnoxious PVPers, though. Who will play IT for three months, bellyaching loudly, and then go to some other game.

*claps*

Here, here. Oh, and people are also going to kill Diablo four or five times and then want something else to do.

*claps*

Here, here. Oh, and people are also going to kill Diablo four or five times and then want something else to do.

Except GW1 and GW2 are two fundamentally different games linked in name alone. Comparing them shows you have no idea about either one.

Except GW1 and GW2 are two fundamentally different games linked in name alone. Comparing them shows you have no idea about either one.

gw 1 and gw2 were supposed to be linked through a heriditary link between characters.. which is why your gw 1 characters were supposed to influence your gw2 characters assuming you had gw 1.

unless they changed that in production then gw 1 and gw 2 were linked in more than just name

I always find it funny when people will compare an existing game with one that has not even come out yet.... Like GW2 is going to be the savior of the MMO industry.... As far as we know GW2 could bomb also.... People love to hype up MMO's and then when it doesn't live up to their unreasonable expectations they try and go out of their way to bad mouth the game anyway they can....

Then my favorite " If this doesn't get changed in such and such time I'm not re-subscribing " like thats going to have any impact on how fast Bioware gets things done....

The only good thing about GW2 is that all the Trolls on these forums will migrate over their and start QQ'ing about every aspect of that game....

I always find it funny when people will compare an existing game with one that has not even come out yet.... Like GW2 is going to be the savior of the MMO industry.... As far as we know GW2 could bomb also.... People love to hype up MMO's and then when it doesn't live up to their unreasonable expectations they try and go out of their way to bad mouth the game anyway they can....

Then my favorite " If this doesn't get changed in such and such time I'm not re-subscribing " like thats going to have any impact on how fast Bioware gets things done....

The only good thing about GW2 is that all the Trolls on these forums will migrate over their and start QQ'ing about every aspect of that game....

the over hype is exactly why swtor is where it is now.. people expected to much, not because bw over hyped it..but because people did.. and it didnt meet up to their expectations and now they are trying to destroy the game.

gw 1 and gw2 were supposed to be linked through a heriditary link between characters.. which is why your gw 1 characters were supposed to influence your gw2 characters assuming you had gw 1.

unless they changed that in production then gw 1 and gw 2 were linked in more than just name

He's talking about the mechanics of the game, not the ability to transfer your titles from one game to the other....

GW2 is a completely different in design then GW1 in both mechanics and game philosophy..... There trying to make GW2 more of a traditional MMO, which could backfire on them....

He's talking about the mechanics of the game, not the ability to transfer your titles from one game to the other....

GW2 is a completely different in design then GW1 in both mechanics and game philosophy..... There trying to make GW2 more of a traditional MMO, which could backfire on them....

i understand they are different games mechanics wise.. but i doubt gw 2 will be as awesome as people say it could be.. the problem is over hyping.. from the reviews ive seen gw2 isnt all that good sadly.

I'm obviously talking about gameplay. Other than setting, the two have vastly different ideals and structure that comparing them is pointless. GW1 is basically a cooperative RPG. It is basically an online rpg that you can choose to play with your friends. The entire game was instanced except for towns where you can meet friends and form parties with. As such, it wasn't in competition with any mmo. You could buy it and play it whenever you wanted to, as a single player campaign or as a cooperative one.

GW2 is a completely different beast. It's a full on MMO with everything you'd expect from one. As such, it will go into competition with other mmo's. Will it necessarily kill off any other game? I donno. I can easily see as many people leaving WoW for it as there would be choosing to play it in addition to WoW.

TL:DR, The two are completely different, and comparing them would be like comparing SWTOR with Jedi Academy.

Everyone knows this game is in trouble. EA knows, BioWare Knows, The media knows, We the subscribers know. Even the fanboys know. Everyone knows the game was launched unfinished and unrefined. We can thank EA for that, they have a history of demanding deadlines that cant be met. The result of EA's poor business ethos of quantity over quality.

Anyway before I start going off the rails lets get back to topic.

Do you the community think that BioWare can rescue this game? Or do you think there's nothing worth rescuing?

Will the launch of Guild Wars 2 be the final nail in the coffin for SWTOR? What will it take for you to re-subscribe if you have already cancelled?

Please answer for yourself not what you think everyone else is thinking.

Personally I think BioWare can pull this back if something definitive happens in the next 2 weeks. I genuinely believe this game still has the potential to outshine everything else out there including the upcoming Guild Wars.

The one and only thing that will get me to re-sub is server transfers/merges. If that doesn't happen before GW2 then I will probably never re-sub I only have time to invest in 1 MMO and that is usually the one that currently has my attention.

I do not think SWToR needs rescuing. The only problem was the huge number of people who came to SWToR from other games expecting something different. The EA's advertising did not help in this matter. They only presented the best sides of the game and were very careful about hiding the weaknesses. It did help a lot the initial sales, but it caused the drops of population in the following months. And that created many problem that EA nor BW never prepared for - half empty servers preventing people from grouping up. Even now, BW admitted that the automatic server transfer is not yet ready and they will use manual transfers/copies for testing servers for 1.3.

Could SWToR use more polishing? Of course it could. Could some of the game features be better? Absolutely, yes. Are there still some unrepaired bugs in the game? Yes, there are. But in general, the game is exactly what I expected it to be. I like the game and I am going to continue subscribing. In my opinion, the 1.3 patch will solve most of the major problems.