Game verdict overwehelming?

aureliastarr

So, I've played for the last couple of days and enjoyed myself thoroughly. Seems like a fairly well crafted game. I have some reservations.... the game so far seems very linear for an MMO.... almost like a single player game with other people running around. There is a lot of features that I've come to expect from an MMO which have been developed over time as an answer to some of the annoying nuances of MMO type games. Others in the industry have already forged this road and developed these technologies... things like advanced LFG features, UI customization, etc. These things are absent in SWTOR. But otherwise, I think it's a pretty solid game and could see myself really investing my time and energy into it.

However... I came onto the forums and I have never seen as negative a response for an MMO release. Yes, I know, MMO forums are notoriously filled with preteen angst filled hormone balls acting out because no one can look them in the face and realize they're just some whiney kid that shouldn't be taken seriously. I mean the response is ASTOUNDINGLY negative. People seem to hate the hell out of this game. If that's true, then it won't last long.

Is this the case? Should I not invest my time in this game, because in 6 months it will be defunct? What is the general consensus on whether I should waste my time with this game?

tl;dnr: I like the game, but the community response appears to be overwhelmingly negative. Should I invest my time in it, or will it be gone a year from now?

Keep in mind that forum users are the minority of a games playerbase. All the people that are loving and enjoying it aren't exiting the game to post on the forums. ;)

If you are having fun, keep having fun and don't worry about what the vocal minority thinks IMO.

If you are having fun, keep having fun and don't worry about what the vocal minority thinks IMO.

Basically this.

If you're enjoying the game, continue to do so for as long as you like. Doesn't really matter if you invest time in it even if it only lasts a year, or a month, or five years as long as you had fun.

OP I would not worry about all the negative responses on the forums. For every negative post I see their are probably 3 to 4 out of 5 responses that bash the hater or say they love the game.

All Bioware needs to make a profit is something like 500K subscribers. For all the big budget MMOS launched in the past few years like AOC, WAR, AION, etc these games are still going even though they suck in a lot peoples opinions.

SWTOR also came out a the right time. WOW cata has been out for a year. Rift is 9 months out and a lot of people were looking for a new game. Guild Wars 2 just started closed beta and is still months away.

This game had 950K to 2 Mil preorders which is way more than any MMO ever released in North America. SWTOR will be around for a long time.

So, I've played for the last couple of days and enjoyed myself thoroughly. Seems like a fairly well crafted game. I have some reservations.... the game so far seems very linear for an MMO.... almost like a single player game with other people running around. There is a lot of features that I've come to expect from an MMO which have been developed over time as an answer to some of the annoying nuances of MMO type games. Others in the industry have already forged this road and developed these technologies... things like advanced LFG features, UI customization, etc. These things are absent in SWTOR. But otherwise, I think it's a pretty solid game and could see myself really investing my time and energy into it.

However... I came onto the forums and I have never seen as negative a response for an MMO release. Yes, I know, MMO forums are notoriously filled with preteen angst filled hormone balls acting out because no one can look them in the face and realize they're just some whiney kid that shouldn't be taken seriously. I mean the response is ASTOUNDINGLY negative. People seem to hate the hell out of this game. If that's true, then it won't last long.

Is this the case? Should I not invest my time in this game, because in 6 months it will be defunct? What is the general consensus on whether I should waste my time with this game?

tl;dnr: I like the game, but the community response appears to be overwhelmingly negative. Should I invest my time in it, or will it be gone a year from now?

Yes, 90% of the 70+ US servers are full because people don't like the game. Unfortunately, the SWTOR forums have become a hang out for emotionally immature adults who have no conception of the difference between a game and a life partner.

To compare the complaints on these forums with the incredible quality of the game itself gives anyone with half a brain in their head a clear picture of who and who isn't acting like a complete idiot. The quality of this game is so high in my opinion that you truly have to be a stereotypical hot pocket eating, living in your mom's basement zombie to complain the way some of these people do given the obvious extreme effort and care that have been lavished on this game.

I actually find it kind of sickening, I had hoped this particular form of retardation would be absent from these forums, but given the developmentally disabled overreaction a certain percentage of Star Wars "Fans" had towards the prequels, I should have expected as much.

I think for some people it's time to grow up and stop expecting a video game to deliver your deepest inner fantasies, and to have enough consideration for others to stop degrading the quality of the forums every time you log in and the game doesn't have a fresh diaper and a sippy cup ready for your gratification.

I agree that everyone who likes the game is not really coming to the forums. I really like the game so far and this is my first time really reading the forums as I wake up this morning.

Some of the better features like LFG will come in due time.

I think my only worry right now is the leveling experience is to linear. It is gonna suck when you want to play another char and you have to do all the same quests again besides your class quest. Would like to see them add more worlds so you can choose a different route to level your next toon.

Well all this talk about SWTOR I need to go play now.

Seems like a fairly well crafted game. I have some reservations.... the game so far seems very linear for an MMO.... almost like a single player game with other people running around.

Add in criticism of the inflexible UI and you have my views exactly.

The game won't be gone in a year, but it won't be running anything like the present number of servers either. Depending on the viability of the endgame, it will join the ranks of the circa 100,000 players club.

It simply isn't different enough.

Yes, 90% of the 70+ US servers are full because people don't like the game.

Actually, they're full because it's early access, the game hasn't even launched yet, and people haven't had to enter their credit card details.

Report back in 6 months time. Then we'll have a better idea of whether people like the game or not.

Edited by Seffrid

Yes, 90% of the 70+ US servers are full because people don't like the game. Unfortunately, the SWTOR forums have become a hang out for emotionally immature adults who have no conception of the difference between a game and a life partner.

To compare the complaints on these forums with the incredible quality of the game itself gives anyone with half a brain in their head a clear picture of who and who isn't acting like a complete idiot. The quality of this game is so high in my opinion that you truly have to be a stereotypical hot pocket eating, living in your mom's basement zombie to complain the way some of these people do given the obvious extreme effort and care that have been lavished on this game.

I actually find it kind of sickening, I had hoped this particular form of retardation would be absent from these forums, but given the developmentally disabled overreaction a certain percentage of Star Wars "Fans" had towards the prequels, I should have expected as much.

I think for some people it's time to grow up and stop expecting a video game to deliver your deepest inner fantasies, and to have enough consideration for others to stop degrading the quality of the forums every time you log in and the game doesn't have a fresh diaper and a sippy cup ready for your gratification.

This man speaks the truth.

The game won't be gone in a year, but it won't be running anything like the present number of servers either. Depending on the viability of the endgame, it will join the ranks of the circa 100,000 players club.

No...

What does it have to do to be different in your eyes? I'm curious at what you were expecting...

Edited by Crash-X

The problem here is

In a year you will more than likely be wrong yet you will be no where around for folks to say I told you so.

It's easy to make predictions, but at the end of the day you are just doom saying because you can.

Ignore the froums, too many contradictions.

You got a group of trolls making fun of the game calling it a WoW clone.

yet these same people are asking bioware to add features that WoW has.

Forum are terrible

Lol pretty much. You also have another group who expected a different game completely and instead of judging whats in the game they think of everything the game could have had and not enjoy whats actually in the game.

To be fair, a lot of the negativity so far has been around server queues. It will moderate in time, although Bioware should have seen this coming long ago. Not much of the negativity has been related to game play. When I have actually been able to log in (once out of Beta so far!) it was fairly fun aside from some issues like what you mentioned.

Tldnr; Once queues drop off, the game will probably be worth it

Keep in mind that forum users are the minority of a games playerbase. All the people that are loving and enjoying it aren't exiting the game to post on the forums. ;)

Exactly, imagine a million people on the forums posting at all! The most vocal are always the minority. When I enjoy something I don't feel an overwhelming urge to tell everybody about it.

I think my only worry right now is the leveling experience is to linear. It is gonna suck when you want to play another char and you have to do all the same quests again besides your class quest. Would like to see them add more worlds so you can choose a different route to level your next toon.

This. 150% agree. I want to see a lot of the class stories, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to wade through the same side stuff over and over again for it.

I'm enjoying this game very much and so are some of the other people I know that are BIG followers of WOW.

If you want to see a negative forum, look at the RIFT forum. A lot of negative posts, some by me. I played RIFT for 3 weeks and was totally disappointed and bored.

I would keep playing because it's the best new game to come along in a long time, my opinion of course, but I've played them all and this is by far one of the best out of the gate and sales prove that. Some places ran out of the collector's edition which was priced at $150!!!

Besides the queue times that they said will come down, I think the game is great. It is beautifully crafted with lots of amazing detail. Rarely do you find a crack or section they didn't meticulously craft to look great. I love the falling debris from Taris on the skyscrapers, and the eerie black birds.

No...

What does it have to do to be different in your eyes? I'm curious at what you were expecting...

I was expecting exactly what is is, a reasonably polished extended single player RPG (call it a linear themepark MMO in which most people solo if you prefer) strong on voiceovers and storyline but bringing nothing new to the MMORPG genre.

To be fair, I wasn't expecting such an inflexible UI. I was expecting it to be polished and I'm not disappointed in that respect.

Edited by Seffrid