[Guide] Reverse Engineering

Slaign

Shouldn't the formula be exponentially easier at higher levels?

It doesn't make sense for high level crafters harder to get higher schematics through RE, since their crafting level is higher; i.e. higher crafting levels = more proficient = Chance getting higher schematics should be easier!

It's just logic, isn't it?

E.g. In real life, you gained more experienced as you work longer on the job, and things become easier for you since you're more proficient at it?

WHERE'S THE DEV....! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I dunno, one could also say that as you get higher in skill you tread further and further into unknown territory, making it harder to figure out new and better ways to proceed.

Speaking realistically, though, it's all a matter of mechanics. No matter how we'd expect it to work, it could work in a completely opposite manner. In fact, with it all being formulas and math, it could be some math quirk making it work differently than even the devs expected (hence a bug).

Some people believe that the higher your skill is above the thing you are RE'ing, the easier it is to discover schematics. That would mean that as it gets more difficult to level up, it would get more difficult to find schematics. It would also mean that once capped at 400, the top tier items are going to be very hard to reverse engineer.

But I'm not sure I believe that, either. I created a new character recently and decided I wanted to make an epic gun as soon as I got to the imperial fleet. It was the first thing I did after learning crafting. I made 2 green guns, and immediately got the Tier 1 prefix I was looking for, then 3 blue guns later, got the tier 2 prefix I wanted. Granted I was very lucky to get the prefixes I wanted, but still it shows that starting at 1 skill in Armstech I was able to get an Artifact schematic within 5 crafts.

So that leads me to wonder, when people say they have inordinate problems with finding schematics, how is it that I'm so lucky and they are so unlucky? The difference in reports is so staggering, that I feel like there has to be a bug. But there doesn't appear to be any common thread. It's not just one profession, or one item, or type of item. It's people from all sorts of professions having problems with all sorts of items, some of which I personally have experience earning.

So is it a bug that somehow only affects certain individuals? And if so, how is it that these people are unlucky enough to have contracted such a bug?

Very perplexing.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*raises hand* I managed to get a few orange schems last night and was surprised when I crit an augment slot on one. :D I squeed so loud I scared my hubby!

So it is possible but it was the fourth or fifth crafting of the item when it crit. Whether it happens again, I dunno.

Awesome! Can you tell me the name of the item, which profession it was for, and whether it earned a bracketed tag like [Advanced] or something?

Thanks!

I dunno, one could also say that as you get higher in skill you tread further and further into unknown territory, making it harder to figure out new and better ways to proceed.

Speaking realistically, though, it's all a matter of mechanics. No matter how we'd expect it to work, it could work in a completely opposite manner. In fact, with it all being formulas and math, it could be some math quirk making it work differently than even the devs expected (hence a bug).

Some people believe that the higher your skill is above the thing you are RE'ing, the easier it is to discover schematics. That would mean that as it gets more difficult to level up, it would get more difficult to find schematics. It would also mean that once capped at 400, the top tier items are going to be very hard to reverse engineer.

But I'm not sure I believe that, either. I created a new character recently and decided I wanted to make an epic gun as soon as I got to the imperial fleet. It was the first thing I did after learning crafting. I made 2 green guns, and immediately got the Tier 1 prefix I was looking for, then 3 blue guns later, got the tier 2 prefix I wanted. Granted I was very lucky to get the prefixes I wanted, but still it shows that starting at 1 skill in Armstech I was able to get an Artifact schematic within 5 crafts.

So that leads me to wonder, when people say they have inordinate problems with finding schematics, how is it that I'm so lucky and they are so unlucky? The difference in reports is so staggering, that I feel like there has to be a bug. But there doesn't appear to be any common thread. It's not just one profession, or one item, or type of item. It's people from all sorts of professions having problems with all sorts of items, some of which I personally have experience earning.

So is it a bug that somehow only affects certain individuals? And if so, how is it that these people are unlucky enough to have contracted such a bug?

Very perplexing.

Lol... maybe that's true in a different perspective.

But **** me, I even have difficulty advancing my schematics for my Crystals and Enchantments. I do get the advanced hilts... but it seems that I'm stuck with low levels green crystal and enchantment for the while. I hope I'm not bugged. :(

Lol... maybe that's true in a different perspective.

But **** me, I even have difficulty advancing my schematics for my Crystals and Enchantments. I do get the advanced hilts... but it seems that I'm stuck with low levels green crystal and enchantment for the while. I hope I'm not bugged. :(

Yea, see, my first character's skill was Artifice, and I had no trouble finding crystal and mod upgrades. If anything hilts were harder because they required more materials.

I just wanted to point out that you are supposed to be able to reverse engineer Artifact Level schematics into Legendary level schematics. At least, it was this way in a beta in October, and what I was told by someone who should know these things earlier this month before beta ended.

The reason I don't think we've seen it yet is because materials for artifact level items are hard to come by and the chance for getting a reverse engineer from it is very statistically low.

I just wanted to point out that you are supposed to be able to reverse engineer Artifact Level schematics into Legendary level schematics. At least, it was this way in a beta in October, and what I was told by someone who should know these things earlier this month before beta ended.

The reason I don't think we've seen it yet is because materials for artifact level items are hard to come by and the chance for getting a reverse engineer from it is very statistically low.

Perhaps, and I appreciate the information, but I can't put it into the guide until we see confirmation on a live server.

Honestly, while I try to just trust contributors on their word as much as possible, that's such a big thing that could cost people so much money, I'd really want to see a screenshot of a Legendary schematic in someone's crafting menu to confirm it before I tell people that it's possible.

I hope you don't take offense, I'm not trying to call you a liar or anything of the sort. I just need to be sure before I tell people to go RE their purples.

I am trying to get schematics for implants for biochem but chance to get them seems lower than for stims, medpacks and adernals. Anyway so far I got 3 blues and 2 of them are from the same green item so there are different prefixes. I got 2 prefixes so far:

Critical gives +critical rating

Redoubt gives +defense rating

Edited by Berjiz

I am trying to get schematics for implants for biochem but chance to get them seems lower than for stims, medpacks and adernals. Anyway so far I got 3 blues and 2 of them are from the same green item so there are different prefixes. I got 2 prefixes so far:

Critical gives +critical rating

Redoubt gives +defense rating

So implants follow the same prefix system as other equippable gear. Alright, will make a note of it. Thanks.

On another note, I made a post on the community forum asking about getting this thread stickied. They moved the thread to General Discussion. So a mod saw my request, moved the request thread, and didn't sticky this thread.

I don't know what the deal is here, if they aren't going to sticky this thing I wish they'd just post and say so, maybe give a reason why.

So much work has gone into this thread and it's already helped so many people. All a mod has to do is pop by and give it a sticky and it could help so many more. It's really frustrating.

Edited by Slaign

Perhaps, and I appreciate the information, but I can't put it into the guide until we see confirmation on a live server.

Honestly, while I try to just trust contributors on their word as much as possible, that's such a big thing that could cost people so much money, I'd really want to see a screenshot of a Legendary schematic in someone's crafting menu to confirm it before I tell people that it's possible.

I hope you don't take offense, I'm not trying to call you a liar or anything of the sort. I just need to be sure before I tell people to go RE their purples.

Oh no worries at all! I just wanted to point out that it is supposed to be possible, and hopefully encourage folks to try.

I am working on it myself, but likely won't have funds to waste for a while. I gotta come across about 40 wind crystals before I think I can really test it properly.

Oh no worries at all! I just wanted to point out that it is supposed to be possible, and hopefully encourage folks to try.

I am working on it myself, but likely won't have funds to waste for a while. I gotta come across about 40 wind crystals before I think I can really test it properly.

Awesome, let me know how it turns out.

As a heads up, so far, I've found it to be cheaper and more efficient to use slicing to make money and just buy the materials you need. On my server, the GTN is packed with low price materials, and especially for epic materials, it seems to me the cost of buying them is better than the cost in time and credits to run a bunch of missions to find them.

YAY Sticky!!!!!! Thank you, anonymous forum angel!! lol

Seriously guys, this makes me so happy, it means so much, I made this to help people and this simple little thing makes that so much easier, thank you!

Edited by Slaign

I'm still having a lot of trouble with Reverse Engineering. I can RE everything I make just fine but other than that nothing seems to be "RE'able" other than the odd gear (and if I get another item of the same type, with the same stats, etc I can't RE it like I did the previous one...). Anybody manage to find a pattern in this?

I'm not sure if you have found this out or not, but I successfully RE'd an item from a schem that was not from the trainer.

I bought the Armormech schem: TT-14A Interceptor Helmet 418 armor +23 aim +41 endurance +8 absorption rating.

I made a few and RE'd until I got Redoubt TT-14A Interceptor Helmet 447 armor +23 aim +41 endurance +8 absorption rating +18 defense rating.

I'm not sure if you have found this out or not, but I successfully RE'd an item from a schem that was not from the trainer.

I bought the Armormech schem: TT-14A Interceptor Helmet 418 armor +23 aim +41 endurance +8 absorption rating.

I made a few and RE'd until I got Redoubt TT-14A Interceptor Helmet 447 armor +23 aim +41 endurance +8 absorption rating +18 defense rating.

Thank you, I'll add it to the guide.

Forgive me if this has been said before (didnt feel like reading 18 pages of replies yet), but you can fix the RE button disappearing and the item linkage going bugged by "reloading the UI". You can do this by pressing Ctrl + U to make the UI disappear and then again to make it reappear (cause a slight lag, no worries).

Again, if this was said before, my apologies. It's just that this came to mind as I read the part about the button bugging out. ^^

Edited by Y-Yorle