Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

[Guide] Reverse Engineering

Slaign

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope that the chance of successfully reverse engineering an item is not truly random. I hate random. Random can provide a success on your next try or literally never. And that's just not fun for a game.

What I would rather see (and I doubt it actually works this way) is an element of randomness tied into a guaranteed reward for effort. For example, if I attempt to reverse engineer an item there is (pulling number out of the air) a 10% chance that I learn how to create a better version of that item. Let's say I don't beat the odds and fail. However, I "learn" something in the process, and the next time I reverse engineer the item I now have a 15% chance of being successful. If I fail again, I still get closer to figuring it out and my next attempt has a 20% chance of success.

This bonus continues to stack until eventually (if I'm unlucky enough to go that far) I have a 100% chance of a successful RE. That's a guarantee to the crafter: your efforts are paying off and you will eventually figure out how to reverse engineer this item within a reasonable number of attempts. Or you may get lucky and figure it out sooner. And that's a whole lot more appealing than rolling the dice every single try and attempting to beat the same percentage chance over and over.

Just wanted to drop in and acknowledge this thread as a great source of information and feedback.

We're actively monitoring it for your posts and comments.

As I mentioned before, we are working on improving and extending crafting and reverse engineering and your comments in threads like this one are very useful to us.

-- Georg

Well, I would love some feedback regarding the post I am regarding crafting in general, and more specifically Synthweaving and the balance/RE/overall utility issues.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=213245

RE: Missing Redoubt Tier 2:

At one point in this thread, someone said they crafted a "Serenity". The thread needs a screenshot of Serenity gear if anybody has it.

Also, someone said they crafted a Jedi Initiate's Robe with an aug slot. Again, screenies worth a thousand words.

Does anyone else feel like they get better chances to RE a schematic on the first attempt after loading the game?

Cake is a lie; there is only pie.

Just wanted to drop in and acknowledge this thread as a great source of information and feedback.

As I mentioned before, we are working on improving and extending crafting and reverse engineering and your comments in threads like this one are very useful to us.

-- Georg

The only things I would like to see changed or improved at the moment are :

-No more "you already learned this schematic" when REing to tier2... This is waaaaaay too frustrating.

-Some sort of RE XP that would take a very long time to go up and give very minor bonus chance to find superior schematics

-Moddable equipment should appear orange in crafting window

-Tier1 schematics should appear in crafting window as "child" of base schematic

-Tier2 schematics should appear in crafting window as "child" of tier1 schematic

-Resources nodes of a much lower level than current gathering level should be give a slightly bigger amount of resources

-No BoP schematics... (crafters don't become crafters to make the best stuff for themselves)

And of course, correct the current bug that inverts stat comparison when comparing schematics in crafting window to equipped items.

EDIT : I forgot about the most annoying thing about crafting... MAKE MISSIONS REWARDS GO TO PENDING INSTEAD OF CLOSING EVERY OPENED WINDOWS !!!!

Edited by SalvorHardin

Slaign - Fantastic post, Thanks a lot, and to all the contributors too! It has helped me a lot in understanding RE and how it works.. Probably saved me a proverbial butt-ton of credits trying for a combination off the incorrect T1 ;)

And to Georg - Thanks for the post, it is heartening to see you taking such an active role in the forums and providing feedback!

Wanted to report that I just logged into the game for the first time today, and on my first RE attempt, got an upgraded schematic (GRN->BLU [Red Mortal Crystal]).

I swear this happens to me often. Am I on glue?

Cake is a lie; there is only pie.

Ok I think I got something here.

I crafted the green Carbon Fiber Belt and reverse engineered it and got the blue redoubt carbon fiber belt.

Then I reverse engineered the blue Redoubt Carbon Fiber Belt and got the purple Veracity Carbon Fiber Belt [superior].

I have critically crafted the purple Veracity Carbon Fiber Belt [superior] and recieved a purple Veracity Carbon Fiber Belt [Mastercraft]. This has an augment slot.

Should I continue to reverse engineer the purple Veracity Carbon Fiber Belt [superior] ?? Is there any solid confirmation that anything can be gained from it?

When you get a tier 2 prefix, aka Veracity, that is the highest tier craft you can get. When you gain an augment slot (which can happen on ANY tier craft) that means your companion essentially got a "crit" on the craft.

Someone back aways posted about a spreadsheet for there craft, i did start one myself for Armormech to try and have a quick easy way to tell what i have in T1 and T2s but man its a pain even then keeping track of it.

I really would like a more organized way of telling what to need to get. A simple indented tree would make it worlds easier to find and look at it quickly. ex..

Fortified Assualt Belt

Fortified Assualt Boots

....Critical Fortified Assualt Boots

........Leadership F.A.B

........Supremency F.A.B

....Overkill F.A.B.

Fortified Assualt Gauntlets

with a quick look i could tell i need 1 more T1 in boots, 3 more T2 under critical and havent done anything in belts or gauntlets. I have a heck of a time combing that brick of a list for what im working on with making that excel sheet i started, or a postit on my screen saying what im working on. Besides the how to organize button of waist, legs, premium helps but not much... Anyone else have a better way? :(

Great guide though has helped to understand this system better.

Thanks to the devs for responding to.

edit.. the example above is off the top of my head as im on my phone at work and couldnt remember if those where under critical or not, but used it in the example

Edited by Necodreus

-- Georg

How about Cybertechs and having no tank mods? I gave my Shadow a respec to tank, since my server is always looking for them, and I can't even reconfigure my custom gear to tank items. I'm at 380+ Cybertech too, can't see any to be learned from the trainer in the remaining levels either.

Haven't heard of anyone REing a commondation/pvp tank mod and getting a schematic either.

There are dps/heal mods but nothing craftable for tanks, how was this missed and do you plan on fixing this? No wonder there are no tanks around if they're restricted on gear.

Edited by Saber_Avalon

Well i don't know about anyone else, but cybertec is almost worthless.

i spent a crapload of money on RE'ing blues to make purple rank 50 plates and mods only to discover you can simply buy even better rank 52 ones with 8 commendations on ilum.

Edited by PittyH

i spent a crapload of money on RE'ing blues to make purple rank 50 plates and mods only to discover you can simply buy even better rank 52 ones with 8 commendations on ilum.

Earpieces, grenades, ship parts, good for gearing up alts. It has it's uses yet.

Edited by Saber_Avalon

Simple question to any armstech. I am 400 armstech and have a schem from the trainer for a crit surge gun. So I figure thus would be good and I start working towards the purple critical version. So finally I get the purple schem that I want after a ton of tries and the stats are terrible compared to my champion blaster.

Is anyone seeing stats on crafted items, non moddable, that are comparable in quality from what you can get from missions or PvP vendors? I realize they wouldn't have expertise but honestly my champion gun is better than any other crafted guns for raiding..?

I'll try and post pics later but it's sickening how much better the champion is than my crafted ones... :(

5 million credits now and counting to learn one recipe and still waiting. Don't know how you guys are wanting T2 lists creating in your recipe book I've only ever managed to create 3 level 49-50 T2 recipes all on different items andi got them within 20 RE. I've spent every credit working on my crafting. Surely its taking you 1000's of attempts to get all T2 in a certain item or you are just extremely lucky. There isn't many T2 light armor force wearing crafters on chuunder server with only about 5 T2 recipies learned that I've seen in the whole of light armor crafters.even to do 1000's of RE there just isn't a way to secure the artifact mats you need to craft them in our server, it just seems strange people are rocking all 5 from one item.

I have also noticed that when you loot a Token for Rakata gear the healing gear is called force mystics with dps using stalker,and force masters and another item called survivors but you can't craft a rakata belt or bracers force mystics you can only craft survivors,force masters and stalkers, which are the other prefixes from the vendor. Has this just been over looked? Also there are no force mystics implants only the other prefixes again when I checked the vendor out.

-- Georg

If you want to improve and extend crafting for Cybertechs, how about making it so we can craft all the same types of mods as can currently be bought off commendation vendors from max level dailies.

It's bad enough that an entire crafting skill can be bypassed with daily rewards, but then to have those daily rewards include things we can't even offer? It's really rather insulting.

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not.

If I assign my ship droid to craft, and he says "I've improved upon your specifications, Master" .... THAT item, I will RE and it will drop a schematic. At least that's how it seems to work (so listen for that).

It might be the same with other companions....one says "the scorekeeper favored us"

I never gave it much heed until this a.m. and lo and behold...hint hint*

I've noticed that too.When my companion makes a positive compliment on a craft, I have a higher sucess rate in RE a new schematic.

I have a heck of a time combing that brick of a list for what im working on with making that excel sheet i started, or a postit on my screen saying what im working on. Besides the how to organize button of waist, legs, premium helps but not much... Anyone else have a better way? :(

Two pages back.

Oh, what the heck. I whipped this up for my own use, but someone else might find it interesting.

SW:TOR Deconstruction Worksheet

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, I did not read all of the pages in this thread. I'm 400 artifice and I'm wondering about these items, listed at Darthhaters

http://db.darthhater.com/items/modifications/color_crystal/

They show a lot of crystals with the tier 2 names in them. I realize that the Magenta ones are currently the only special crystals that are verifiable in game. I'm wondering if its possible to RE the yellow and orange recipes, since they start out as blue, into some of these schematics.

I also realize that these items may not be in game as of yet. I'm working on getting enough mats to try RE'ing some of them, but the corusca gems are hard to get.

Just look on the gtn the earpieces to be sold, most cybertech aren't force user, so there is a good chance of having huge market for willpower/strength earpieces (zith twwo types, one for tanks, one for dps/heal on each stats). Because the good one with dailies needs 120 dailies.

You just buy the one you need from other cybertechs, and make those for jedi and you'll become rich. Especially if you sell critical one, they sell for at least 50% more and sometimes 100% more as every bits count in end game.

It is the same for implants with biochem. Look on the GTN and find the one that are not for sale (usually strength one again, there is more willpower than for cybertech) and get the market.

There is much to do for crafter by going to customers less likely to have the profession (jedi usually are synthweaver or artifice). There are thing you cannot sell but are great for alts or self progression on the route to 50, and there are things that are sellable to new 50 while they trim their dailies or gear up for hard mode (and that is before craft evolutions that are sure to come)

I'm just curious, can tionese schematics (wich you get from HM FPs) be RE-ed for getting T1 and T2 of that object?

Each tioneese implant i craft needs a biometric alloy so i hope some of you guys have tried it. I've already crafted and RE-ed like 10 of them and still no T1.

The only things I would like to see changed or improved at the moment are :

-No more "you already learned this schematic" when REing to tier2... This is waaaaaay too frustrating.

-Some sort of RE XP that would take a very long time to go up and give very minor bonus chance to find superior schematics

-Moddable equipment should appear orange in crafting window

-Tier1 schematics should appear in crafting window as "child" of base schematic

-Tier2 schematics should appear in crafting window as "child" of tier1 schematic

-Resources nodes of a much lower level than current gathering level should be give a slightly bigger amount of resources

-No BoP schematics... (crafters don't become crafters to make the best stuff for themselves)

And of course, correct the current bug that inverts stat comparison when comparing schematics in crafting window to equipped items.

EDIT : I forgot about the most annoying thing about crafting... MAKE MISSIONS REWARDS GO TO PENDING INSTEAD OF CLOSING EVERY OPENED WINDOWS !!!!

I really agree with your 1st line item.

I have 400/400 Biochem, and have been trying to learn high lvl implant recipes.

I have been crafting "Critical" Nano-Optic Awareness Movitors(CNOAM) for RE.

I have learned Supremacy, Tempest, and Leadership T2 schematics.

Since learning those 3, I have REed over 70 CNOAMs and have not learned the other 2, however I have received the error "Schematic already known" about 15 times now.

This is ridiculous. I have submitted a bug report to SWTOR, but have not heard anything yet.

Does anyone know if this is a bug or not?