Am I spoiled by my previous MMO?

Mixxathon

I just wanted to write something about what to resonably expect when subbing to an MMO, seeing that there are alot of people who seems to think that coming additions to this game "should have been included from start".

My gaming history spans from EQ and EQ2 to WoW and LOTRO with a few more in between. With EQ there were downloadable content, quest really, that you had to pay for and all major additions to the game came in the form of a full paid expansion. WoW follows the same arch more or less, with major additions being full blown expansions.

LOTRO on the other hand were a totaly different beast, with tons of free content being added each month, and I am talking huge parts of continent and several hundreds of quests, and of course there were also paid expansions, like Mines Of Moria that gave a huge addon, more classes and hundreds of quests, raids and dungeons, as well as totally new gamesystems, f.x. items that levelled with you, and minigames.

I came to SWTOR directly from 5 on and off years of LOTRO, used to how things worked with that game, expecting that the industry had followed what had to be, in my mind, the best way of catering for their paying customers. That is; monthly addons wich actually gave me more that I had paid for when I bought the game, giving me a feeling of having made a great buy when paying my monthly downpayment. It would not really matter if I did not immediately use the addons, but it would feel like the gameworld was actually expanding by knowing that the stuff was out there for me to explore. In 5 months, I have paid roughly the same amount in subs as what I paid for the game in the store so in terms of value, I should be able to expect at least a seriously expanded universe by now - at least if I apply the model LOTRO used at the time of it's release.

Patch 1.2 gave me something that I would count as added value - but that is about it really. I do not count new operations, or even flashpoints or warzones as, frankly, I feel that such things are too simple to be counted. Those things are too...small, too limited and over too quickly, and the game should be absolutely crammed with that kind of stuff anyway. What I count as content is actual explorable places, something that gives me something new to do, something to amaze me, something that actually feels like I have gotten more than I paid for. This has not happened in SWTOR.

What I get is...bugfixes and tweeks and changes. It feels like I am paying for having the honor of Betatesting SWTOR, something I have always done for free with other games (and sometimes actually have gotten paid in the form of free months or free game at the time of release). I do not like this feeling, not one bit!

I want SWTOR to be a perfect game, I want it to succeed, to be viable years from now. I love Star Wars, I have fun with the game - but it has already started to age badly. I reroll from server to server as they empty, and after having levelled 30+ characters, the content starts to feel really small, too repetitive. I swear I could recite whole questlines from memory :) I would like to have choices while I level, not having to go from Korriban to Dromund K. to Balmorra, Nar Shaddaa, Tatooine, Alderaan, Quesh, Hoth, and so on in the exact same order with the exact same quests over and over. I would like to feel that every character I have is different from the others. Just take the thing that happens when you first land on Coruscant with your Jedi Guardian and goes through customs and that cutscene comes were something deep and characterbuilding is said between you and your companion - you know the one I mean. And you know it because even if you did not play a Jedi, you would go through the exact same thing, just with different dialouge - and that goes for Imperial side too. How hard would it be to expand that with a weekly patch? Not that hard I suspect, given that BW uses the HERO engine wich takes pride in facilitating on-the-fly changes to the gameworld so it should not even be needing a patch - just a little creativity and care for the fanbase, paying customers and The Game as a whole. Bioware have always delivered for me in the past, and I expect, nay Demand! that they continue to do so as long as I feed them with dollars.

OK, sorry for the longwinded text, but I needed to vent a little. You might think that I am one of those who threatens to unsub as soon as I do not get what I want, but I and quite the opposite. I will stay here for a few years, because I have patience, and truth be told it is not that much money even if I pay for both my sons, my own and my boyfriends accounts - but I want things done right - and the first thing for BW to do right now, while working out those bugs, is to give us a feeling that we got this game really cheap and that we would gladly pay double for what we got.

Oh, and LOTRO went F2P and still pumps out new content on a regular basis..... just saying...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This world is flooded with mmos.... You cannot expect eah and every game to be the same... And because of this player expectations for new games are unrealistically sky high...

Zomg ur game doesnt have this... Graaaaw you dont gave that.... Im a noob and unsubbing because you are not catering to me because i am more important to everyone else waah waaaah waaaah.

You get the picture.

What I want is a Star Wars RPG I can play cooperatively with my wife - no multiple other players - just my wife, perhaps over our home network.

I can't be alone in this. Does nobody else want something like that?

Also came from LOTRO to SWTOR after many other MMOs too and the once getting over the difference in community I have to say that the game is a very different beast too. Turbine value there player base and make no hesitation in making sweeping changes or adding new content. I feel that SWTOR devs are still unsure of themselves and keep trying to cover all bases. Hopefully they get a bit more confident and start making some positive, sweeping changes soon.

It helps if you think about the state of an MMO in the first year as more of a privilege to being able to play while they polish it off, instead of a fully built game where new content can be served at a fast pace. The amount of content put in place is immense and yet there is still only so much time in a day. Because of this, the first year gets all the growing pains from how the fully functioning game settles towards stability. With all the uncertainty with what will happen, the designers must constantly jump around towards what needs to most focus first. Once this is done, then new content will take precedence and can be more accurately released on a timely basis.

Many of us are fully satisfied with having the ability to play this game now as opposed to 6 months down the road and this is what allows the game to breath through the early stages. Others tend to disagree (while lacking the insight that they can continue waiting till the game is finished being built) so mass complaints will always arise from this. Brighter days will always be ahead and content will speed up as time goes on.

Let's assume you are spoiled by having played other games: What's the problem? Gaming has become a highly competitive industry where new entries into the foray are expected to put up or shut up; new games will either deliver an experience that meets or exceeds players' expectations, or they won't. The games that don't will ultimately fizzle out and join the plethora of similar games on shelves, collecting dust.

It's not your fault that there are tons of games on the market. It's not your fault that many games fail to meet expectations when they're inevitably--and rightfully--compared to their competitors. It's not your fault that developers consistently deliver safe games that rehash and reuse outdated mechanics and features as opposed to new and innovative experiences.

Yeah. You're spoiled, but that's good for us and bad for developers. Maybe they'll get the picture and develop a game that expands on what the rest of the pack is doing. I found that game for myself, but it isn't SWTOR.

Edited by Dezzi

I was spoiled by the great combat system in Champions Online and it made SWTOR very boring but then, after I unsubed from this and went back to CO, I missed the voices so I quit that one too hehe! No MMO currently deserves a monthly fee. Anyone that played SWG was also spoiled by the freedom and possibilities compared to this but that would require a topic on its own. Edited by Dreossk

Yes, allot of people have never played an mmo from the start, they have never experienced the growing pains of a new mmo, patches, balance passes, changes in player population, there is no mmo on the market today that had everything they have now, they all lacked something at launch, and grew to where they are now.

I think the market is flooded with to many mmo's these days, and they are almost all the same, sword and board fantasy games modeled after wow which was modeled after eq..

I miss some features my previous game had, and I know at some point Tor will have a feature like that, but I think the dev's are so far behind even getting core elements out, in a time when even more popular games are getting released, plus because of all the games out there players are just very transient these day, jumping from game to game, when wow released you only had a couple of choices today, there are hundreds if you take into account, mmo/rpg's mmo/rts mmo/fps. browser based games, I would bet if wow launched today ir would suffer like all new games do, they just came along at the right time.. I think the days of the standard sub based mmo's are dying out, I think the gw2 model will become more popular buy the box play for free and have a game built around MT's, sad but true /sigh

What I want is a Star Wars RPG I can play cooperatively with my wife - no multiple other players - just my wife, perhaps over our home network.

I can't believe you, for real...

I will say from an RPer perspective; LoTRo spoils the ever living #*&$ out of its players.

Just the feature of being able to play your own music; on an instrument of your choice was mind blowing.

And being able to get rich on raising a pipeweed farm was an oddly more entertaining then it should have been. Ah, roleplayers will buy anything if advertised right.

Just pick a server with a real low population, can't be hard from what I hear. you two can be the only ones questing together.

Let's assume you are spoiled by having played other games: What's the problem? Gaming has become a highly competitive industry where new entries into the foray are expected to put up or shut up; new games will either deliver an experience that meets or exceeds players' expectations, or they won't. The games that don't will ultimately fizzle out and join the plethora of similar games on shelves, collecting dust.

It's not your fault that there are tons of games on the market. It's not your fault that many games fail to meet expectations when they're inevitably--and rightfully--compared to their competitors. It's not your fault that developers consistently deliver safe games that rehash and reuse outdated mechanics and features as opposed to new and innovative experiences.

Yeah. You're spoiled, but that's good for us and bad for developers. Maybe they'll get the picture and develop a game that expands on what the rest of the pack is doing. I found that game for myself, but it isn't SWTOR.

"Spoiled" might be not quite the right term though it's fairly close to me. Jaded with a touch of rose colored glasses is better, especially when you jump to a fresh, new game from one that's had years of seasoning. For whatever reason, many players as time goes by tend to forget the bumps in the road that most/all MMOs have in their beginning and rally around what was good.

To me, while it's a fair comparison to consider what game A that's been out for 3, 5, or 7+ years to game B that just came out, I think it's an unfair criticism to belittle the new game for all that it lacks when what it's being compared to had as little, or even less, when it launched.

Regardless of what it is that's perceived as lacking, it all takes time to design, code and test. We could have easily been just hearing whispers that beta would be commencing this Fall rather than playing a decently stable (note, I did not say "perfectly" stable) game for the past five months.

But people come from other games where they take for granted certain features and then complain they're not in the new game yet.

"WoW had dual specs, how could we not have them here?" - Didn't get added until first patch post Wrath of Lich King expac (3.1) ... April'09 or 4.5yrs after launch

"SWG had space flight not on rails. How come we don't here?" - Didn't get added until the JTL expac was released ... 16 months after initial launch

"WoW had cross-realm dungeon finder. Where's our cross-realm LFG?" - you may have been using it for two years in WoW before coming to TOR so it felt as comfortable as an old hat ... and you waited for 5 years for Blizzard to add it (patch 3.3)

"WoW's auction house worked so much better with superior functionality. How could BW screw it up so bad?" - Blizzard didn't even include linked auction houses (something we've had since launch) until patch 1.9 in Jan'06 ... or more than 1 year after launch.

Those are just a few of the comment laments I've seen on the forums since TOR's launch. Would it have been better, even great, if those things were addressed prior to launch? Absolutely. No argument here. However, if you think you'd be playing the game now instead of still waiting for it to come out so it could include those things and the many more that people give them grief about, you'd be luck to have been playing it by this Christmas.

TOR isn't perfect by any means. Then again, no MMO is. People either find the game they get fun, or they don't. If they find it fun then they tend to be a little more forgiving of its faults and have some patience with the developers until proven not worthy of that patience. Some folks are at or past that point already. However, some came in with expectations so high it wouldn't have mattered what BW served up, those people still would have been gone after 30, 60 or 90 days.

I think you are viewing lotro with rose colored glasses. Granted I did not stay long after they went f2p. Still the game had only a few raiding areas with extremely basic difficulty elements, traveling was a pain, grinding a must and I do not remember monthly updates. I was a full paying customer for about two years. I liked the story and instanced quests but aside from that, there is nothing that stands out. It is an ok mmo. There is nothing there I would recommend bringing it here. Well maybe one thing, I would bring the community, one of the best community I ever seen in any mmo. :D

I know I was spoiled by STAR WARS GALAXIES,

Here are10 things i took for granted:

1) multiple cities on planets with mulitple spaceports with the ability to travel by foot in any direction.

2) Day/night cycles, I was really surprised that they were not included and how much i would miss them.

3) PvP. I thought Restuss was LoL at times, but the open world GCW with the ability to control planets was far more entertaining then warping to planets and areas that dont exist outside of that warzone.

4) Chat bubbles and emotes.

5) The ability to sit down in chairs. I know this is coming soon, but lets hurry this up

6) Space Flight and loading buddys on my ship. My ships interior was awesome, complete with music and a bar.

7) Player housing, i did not even know how many games dont have this.

8) The ability to create and combine stats to customize my character to my liking rather than just "best loot".

9) COSTUMES. I loved these. I collected them ALL.. I could be a Gungan, a Rancor, a Hutt..Almost any NPC i could be. It was so awesome. I even had one to be a mynock.

10) Species options, I went from Mon Cals, Sullustans, Ithorians, Wookies to Chiss, Sith, Cyborgs and Miraluka

(i do like the options we have, i just miss the ones we dont)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think SWTOR is bad and I suppose this style of gaming is the future of MMOs. I would like to spend more time on Korriban but instead i just hang in fleet waiting to go to another warzone. Its fun, I just wish they had combined a little more of the other Star wars game with this one. But wishing does nothing.

Edited by kirorx

"Spoiled" might be not quite the right term though it's fairly close to me. Jaded with a touch of rose colored glasses is better, especially when you jump to a fresh, new game from one that's had years of seasoning. For whatever reason, many players as time goes by tend to forget the bumps in the road that most/all MMOs have in their beginning and rally around what was good.

To me, while it's a fair comparison to consider what game A that's been out for 3, 5, or 7+ years to game B that just came out, I think it's an unfair criticism to belittle the new game for all that it lacks when what it's being compared to had as little, or even less, when it launched.

Regardless of what it is that's perceived as lacking, it all takes time to design, code and test. We could have easily been just hearing whispers that beta would be commencing this Fall rather than playing a decently stable (note, I did not say "perfectly" stable) game for the past five months.

But people come from other games where they take for granted certain features and then complain they're not in the new game yet.

"WoW had dual specs, how could we not have them here?" - Didn't get added until first patch post Wrath of Lich King expac (3.1) ... April'09 or 4.5yrs after launch

"SWG had space flight not on rails. How come we don't here?" - Didn't get added until the JTL expac was released ... 16 months after initial launch

"WoW had cross-realm dungeon finder. Where's our cross-realm LFG?" - you may have been using it for two years in WoW before coming to TOR so it felt as comfortable as an old hat ... and you waited for 5 years for Blizzard to add it (patch 3.3)

"WoW's auction house worked so much better with superior functionality. How could BW screw it up so bad?" - Blizzard didn't even include linked auction houses (something we've had since launch) until patch 1.9 in Jan'06 ... or more than 1 year after launch.

Those are just a few of the comment laments I've seen on the forums since TOR's launch. Would it have been better, even great, if those things were addressed prior to launch? Absolutely. No argument here. However, if you think you'd be playing the game now instead of still waiting for it to come out so it could include those things and the many more that people give them grief about, you'd be luck to have been playing it by this Christmas.

TOR isn't perfect by any means. Then again, no MMO is. People either find the game they get fun, or they don't. If they find it fun then they tend to be a little more forgiving of its faults and have some patience with the developers until proven not worthy of that patience. Some folks are at or past that point already. However, some came in with expectations so high it wouldn't have mattered what BW served up, those people still would have been gone after 30, 60 or 90 days.

Sorry, I don't buy it. I don't think it is spoiled to have certain expectations. All of those things you listed were new and novel at the time they were created, but not today. Those games contributed to the design evolution of MMOs. Good for them. They had a far more untested designs and far less competitive market back then. As for new MMOs, we expect them to use what came before as a groundwork and then add their own new twist to the genre. We expect more out of the gate from a new entry to the market, and we should- there is far more competition for our time and dollars. If they want our money they need to be at least as good as what's already on the market at that price point. If those other guys are doing all those things better then why switch?

No MMO is perfect, very true. However most people have a standard of quality that a game, like any product, must meet. Unfortunately, myself and others like me have decided that SWTOR does not meet that standard in its current form. At least not at its price of $15/month. I'll keep tabs on new additions to the game. If they can bring things up to speed, I'd be happy to give it another go.

Sergiopitanga has just beaten me to one of these but anyhow; I suggest you do 2 things (specifically referencing Lotro)

1. Remove your rose-tinted spectacles

2. Go here and see how many bug-fixes / tweaks you can find in the first few months entries. (I don't think you'll find those monthly content additions you remember btw).

I too am an ex-Lotro player and subscriber, from pre-release until October last year, when the focus on the store (a legacy of WB's takeover of Turbine) became too much for me to bear. I miss a feature or two that Lotro has for sure - the cosmetic tab being the primary one (customisable UI used to hold that position until 1.2).

But you have to realise that SWTOR has been in development for a long time, and many of the features we take for granted in MMOs were not part of the landscape when the ground plan for this game was laid out. That being said, Bioware have had plenty of opportunity to see MMOs developing while they created the game - and that is why things like the customisable UI have been added. These things are not knocked-up over a weekend, they take months to develop and integrate into a game, and I am confident that similar features which are now considered standard MMO fare will continue to be delivered over the next few months.

Of course if development appears to have stagnated in a couple of months time, then I shall be questioning whether I want SWTOR to be the recipient of my monthly MMO sub fee. But for the time being I am happy with what I am seeing.

P.S. I think that anyone who expects a new to market MMO to incorporate all the current FotM features in current MMOs - plus a twist - is setting themselves up for a lifetime of disappointment.

Edited by Galafray

There was a time when I was pushing heavily for a Star Wars version of Neverwinter Nights. If you haven't played Neverwinter Nights... That game allowed people to create their own adventures that they could invite others to join. Some people (Like myself) created our own persistent worlds (Almost like a mini-MMO). I still think a game like that would be popular. There is still a pretty good size community devoted to Neverwinter Nights.

I do think that you and your wife could have a lot of fun in this game. My wife played WoW with me for quite a while and that has even less content geared towards a two player group. If you could find a good guild that you and your wife can fit into, you might just have a great time.

myself and others like me have decided that SWTOR does not meet that standard in its current form. At least not at its price of $15/month. I'll keep tabs on new additions to the game.

I hear this a lot. Tell me what $15 can buy you for entertainment. It can't buy my wife and I tickets to a two hour movie. It can't even buy the snacks for the same move (Actually, the snacks usually cost me more than the tickets now days). If you are into espresso, it will probably buy you about three of those. That's like three days worth of coffee. I spend about $15 dollars for one cheap dinner to fix at home.

Or... I can spend $15 and get an entire month of unlimited game play in an MMO. When I used to raid heavily, I would get in easily 50+ hours a week in entertainment. Now days it's more like 12 hours a week because my family and work keep me pretty busy. That's 48-400 hours a month. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Sergiopitanga has just beaten me to one of these but anyhow; I suggest you do 2 things (specifically referencing Lotro)

1. Remove your rose-tinted spectacles

2. Go here and see how many bug-fixes / tweaks you can find in the first few months entries. (I don't think you'll find those monthly content additions you remember btw).

I too am an ex-Lotro player and subscriber, from pre-release until October last year, when the focus on the store (a legacy of WB's takeover of Turbine) became too much for me to bear. I miss a feature or two that Lotro has for sure - the cosmetic tab being the primary one (customisable UI used to hold that position until 1.2).

But you have to realise that SWTOR has been in development for a long time, and many of the features we take for granted in MMOs were not part of the landscape when the ground plan for this game was laid out. That being said, Bioware have had plenty of opportunity to see MMOs developing while they created the game - and that is why things like the customisable UI have been added. These things are not knocked-up over a weekend, they take months to develop and integrate into a game, and I am confident that similar features which are now considered standard MMO fare will continue to be delivered over the next few months.

Of course if development appears to have stagnated in a couple of months time, then I shall be questioning whether I want SWTOR to be the recipient of my monthly MMO sub fee. But for the time being I am happy with what I am seeing.

P.S. I think that anyone who expects a new to market MMO to incorporate all the current FotM features in current MMOs - plus a twist - is setting themselves up for a lifetime of disappointment.

It's not like those features are brand new anymore. Some of them have been around a long time now. Many of them are convenience type feature but not all. For example, a working, well designed and executed auction house is a major component of most MMOs. There is no reason that shouldn't be a priority during development. Even if something major enters the market midway in development it can be implemented in many (not all) cases. Games aren't developed in a vacuum, the plan may change many times during the development period. That is part of why it takes so long. They have been working on this game for years now and had a large budget to go with it. The current product does not reflect that.

I hear this a lot. Tell me what $15 can buy you for entertainment. It can't buy my wife and I tickets to a two hour movie. It can't even buy the snacks for the same move (Actually, the snacks usually cost me more than the tickets now days). If you are into espresso, it will probably buy you about three of those. That's like three days worth of coffee. I spend about $15 dollars for one cheap dinner to fix at home.

Or... I can spend $15 and get an entire month of unlimited game play in an MMO. When I used to raid heavily, I would get in easily 50+ hours a week in entertainment. Now days it's more like 12 hours a week because my family and work keep me pretty busy. That's 48-400 hours a month. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

It's not about cost, it's about value.

It can certainly be argued that your $15 buys you more in WoW than it does here in SWTOR. Why? Quantity of content, quality of content and features, stable server populations, accessible convenience features, etc.

This says nothing of the fact that everyone values their money--and their hobbies--differently. Using my WoW example, I would much rather save my $15 than take it to WoW if it was my only choice.

Edited by Dezzi

As a member of the community, I see an mmo and my sub to it as an investment in a game I want to play. The game at launch was and is great. Is it perfect? Nope. But that's why I cough up the 15$/month. Hopefully that extra money goes into developing more content, pvp in space, more customizable ship interiors, dual spec through Legacy, additional and stable open world pvp, RvRvR pvp, more WZ/FP/Ops, social activities...

It's the same philosophy I had when SWG was still bug ridden and developing (until NGE), same goes for LotRO, and AoC. I know it's tough for people to swallow, but an mmo grows with it's community or dies by it's hand. If people leave expecting SWTOR to be as robust as LotRO or WoW or EvE within 12 months, then how are you suppose to live up to those standards? How will Tera, GW2, or TSW live up to those standards?

You don't have to be spoiled by other MMOs to feel disappointed.

Star Wars theme has so much possibilities and this game completely missed the boat.

I mean just look at the choices of playable species.

This world is flooded with mmos.... You cannot expect eah and every game to be the same... And because of this player expectations for new games are unrealistically sky high...

Zomg ur game doesnt have this... Graaaaw you dont gave that.... Im a noob and unsubbing because you are not catering to me because i am more important to everyone else waah waaaah waaaah.

You get the picture.

WoW has spoiled and killed this generation of MMO gamers and it will only get worse unless Devs find anoher way to publish their games without making a deal with the Devil.

The movie analogy is irrelevant. Different form of entertainment, different perceived value, different markets/price structure. However if I had two theaters to pick from that charged the same, I'd go to the one that was most convenient/ cleaner/ had better amenities.

That's really my point. I only have time for one MMO among many. So I need to choose what is going to A- be most fun, and B- the best value in terms of both time and money. $15 isn't a lot of money to a lot of people, but that doesn't mean I don't want the best I can get for that money. Money is tight for some so they may emphasize that aspect and F2P may appeal more. They are certainly more forgiving of the shortcomings of something free. In some cases the cost in time is more important. For working folks with limited time, they'd rather log in, hop into a group for a dungeon/FP or two and maybe they have to log for the night. Or they can spam LFG in fleet to an empty server for 45 minutes. Which do you feel they value more?

Maybe SWTOR isn't trying to appeal to that type of gamer. If so then fine, but there will be less subs. Somehow, I don't see EA going with that strategy however.