so in hindsight? (Hero Engine)

Thannate

I've heard alot of talk, most of it very defensively protecting it, that the Hero Engine was a bad choice etc. etc.,

http://www.heroengine.com/2012/04/heroengine-highlight-reel/

Looking back, if I would have seen this video before my pre-order I don't think I would have purchased the game and would have quite probably skipped SWTOR altogether - not to say I didn't have some fun & enjoy several aspects of the game, but do you think it was bad an idea as I do to use this "Hero Engine"?

I mean really, "Everything you need to make an online game" !? 300 million and you 'buy' an engine?... ... THAT engine!?

I don't mean for this to come off as rude or condescending, but ugh I wish I had seen this a year ago :(.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I will look at the engine more carefully when I look at MMO's from here on in. If an MMO has the hero engine I doubt I'd play it after seeing first hand what it cannot handle. Single player games might be ok, or games that don't have more than a handful of folks on screen at one time but never again with an MMO.

Apparently Elder Scrolls Online will be using the Hero Engine.

^^ Won't be paying that one if that's the case. If it could handle 100 people on screen together and perform then yeah, but after seeing this they can jam it unless it's optimized to all Hell.

Apparently Elder Scrolls Online will be using the Hero Engine.

I don't think that the problem is the engine in SWTOR, or at least the whole problem. BioWare bought the engine when it was not ready, and they lost touch with the guys who made the engine too soon (before that engine got optimized, and didn't got the optimization themselves later right).

SWTOR has so many problems, and most of them are not related to the engine at all, many issues would still be there regardless of the engine (like the world that just feel not alive, all the loading screens, and many other decisions BioWare had made).

So, I guess ESO might do better even though they use the same engine.

I've heard alot of talk, most of it very defensively protecting it, that the Hero Engine was a bad choice etc. etc.,

Looking back, if I would have seen this video before my pre-order I don't think I would have purchased the game and would have quite probably skipped SWTOR altogether - not to say I didn't have some fun & enjoy several aspects of the game, but do you think it was bad an idea as I do to use this "Hero Engine"?

I mean really, "Everything you need to make an online game" !? 300 million and you 'buy' an engine?... ... THAT engine!?

I don't mean for this to come off as rude or condescending, but ugh I wish I had seen this a year ago :(.

...they didn't spend 300 million. it has been officially released that the budget was closer to 100million.

i agree though, Hero Engine is probably the most pathetic engine i've seen used in a commercial release like this.

Edited by AnimalMotherr

...they didn't spend 300 million. it has been officially released that the budget was closer to 100million.

i agree though, Hero Engine is probably the most pathetic engine i've seen used in a commercial release like this.

Well, Oblivion and Skyrim are not EXACTLY releases like TOR, but in my opinion, Gamebryo is the single, most sh*tty engine ever used in a AAA-title. But HeroEngine gets a silver medal.

Edited by cs_Kimmo

Hi fellow customers.

My name is James Ohlen.

It's not our Game Engine, it's working as intended.

It must be your low-end computers.

Oh, you have an i5 2500K @ 4.3 GHz and a GTX 680?

Well......ITS LOW END FOR OUR GAME!

Deal with it.

James: Hey Steve, we just finished recording all the dialogues! Turns out they gave us enough budget after all

Steve: Did you buy an engine?

James: huh? I thought that we only need dialogues

Steve: uhhhh...nevermind, here's $50, go to walmart and see if you can find one

James: Hey Steve, we just finished recording all the dialogues! Turns out they gave us enough budget after all

Steve: Did you buy an engine?

James: huh? I thought that we only need dialogues

Steve: uhhhh...nevermind, here's $50, go to walmart and see if you can find one

It was on sale for $7.99!!!!

I guess you and all the others talking about Hero engine are specialized in software programming and IT..........

I'm not, in fact I do not talk about technical things. I just criticize the aspects I do not like, but not the engine, cause Im not a software wiz. You are?

You don't have to be a scientist to know the difference if your computer is at fault or if it's actually the game itself running so poorly.

Exactly.

Edited by Samvan

You don't have to be a scientist to know the difference if your computer is at fault or the game is running so poorly.

Exactly.

I never had problem with the game running poorly, so maybe it's for this reason that to me problems are of other matters.

I never had problem with the game running poorly, so maybe it's for this reason that to me problems are of other matters.

I've had this discussion so many times Ninja and I'm gonna keep asking those who question the fact that the game is not supposed to be performing this bad;

Why is every other game working as intended, giving the exact performance you expect from your computer, except SWTOR which gives you so much less performance than expected.

Please answer this question with a good answer and maybe you'll surely understand.

Oh yeah, I'm not the only one with the problem, check "Horrid FPS" thread. It's dead though, people unsubbed/gave up because Bioware denied the facts and ignored all the questions instead of communicating.

Bioware should of stuck with the engine they've done some of their best work with; Unreal 3. The choice to use the Hero engine really doomed this game's longevity. They chose to build their house on a foundation of flimsy cardboard. Edited by Merex

DC Online uses Unreal Engine I believe.

Hero Engine is actually very interesting if you are a developer. It actually isn't bad at all. I'd use the engine myself, if I had a project I wanted to designed for MMO play.

Edited by hattertea

DC Online uses Unreal Engine I believe.

Hero Engine is actually very interesting if you are a developer. It actually isn't bad at all. I'd use the engine myself, if I had a project I wanted to designed for MMO play.

Well if it does I'm back in the hero is a ****** engine camp. Elder Scrolls Online I weep for you...

Actually the engine Hero and the Music are the problems for this game. The engine could not handle the music files.

There is an article from 2009 on DarthHater which states this across the line.

At that point BioWare had already Star Wars: The Old Republic nearly finished as launched in past December.

Changing the engine was not possible without an extra to two three years in launching. SWTOR actually launched about a year to 6 months later then as initially planned in 2004-6 cause of this.

I have no real information for this but based on the videos I saw on the website and Youtube and the game as released most stuff 75-90% was already done in 2009/10.

BioWare took a bold step to redesign the engine from the scratch and apparently the Hero engine of The Old Republic is less to this the more time passes.

btw I never have FPS drops in War Zone, since January. Ilum (now stopped) and fleet 100+ yes, but this has also been greatly improved since 1.2. Although I did have a bad fortnight from 1.2.0a till the last fix of past Thursday i.e. 1.2.3a

Only bug I have atm is music vanishing after 2 - 3 hours of play and the humming noise coming in. Although even this has been improved. I hope they fix this.

Edited by limenutpen

I don't see why the hate towards HERO engines.. All gaming engines have their pros and cons depending on the play style you enjoy.. I"m satisfied with TOR and the engine they choose.. My issue is the game play TOR went with.. (linear themepark ride)..