How many servers could they condense this to?

HKDeath

How many servers do you think they could conceivably condense TOR down to right now to make more "Fatman" type populated servers?

Let's do it by

US

Europe

Asia-Pacific

Here's the current number of servers for each category:

US 123

Europe 91

Asia-Pacific 3

My guesses are

4 server types (wow Asia only gets 3 of them) so we'll go 3 a piece

US = 12

Europe = 12

Asia-Pacific = 3

Edited by HKDeath

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many servers do you think they could conceivably condense TOR down to right now?

Let's do it by

US

Europe

Asia-Pacific

US 123

Europe 25

Asia-Pacific 3

My guesses are

US = 12

Europe = 4

Asia-Pacific = 1

25-50 american

5 eu and leave asia alone.. they dont seem to have issues atm

25-50 american

5 eu and leave asia alone.. they dont seem to have issues atm

I started off thinking about 25 American but then you do the math.

I've logged on servers and seen literally less than 10 people on Imperial side.

So 10 servers worth of 10 Imperials would get you 100 people, that wouldn't match the Fatman population. So it would take more than 10 servers combined, probably like 15, just to make 1 more Fatman.

So I said 12 for the US but in all honesty looking at the math I was being very generous. They could probably reduce it to 8.

Edit- there I edited the OP to be more realistic.

Edited by HKDeath

I started off thinking about 25 American but then you do the math.

I've logged on servers and seen literally less than 10 people on Imperial side.

So 10 servers worth of 10 Imperials would get you 100 people, that wouldn't match the Fatman population. So it would take more than 10 servers combined, probably like 15, just to make 1 more Fatman.

So I said 12 for the US but in all honesty looking at the math I was being very generous. They could probably reduce it to 8.

Edit- there I edited the OP to be more realistic.

remember though.. that is people currently logged in..they need to leave room for all of the characters that are currently created to be able to log in in a reasonable time. ( lower load in queue times) in order to keep subscriptions they need a healthy balance of people playing and people able to play.. if there are just enough servers to handle the people playing the game at any given time there will be people waiting for hours to get to play..and that sucks, and people will leave.. if you have to many servers it seems dead..

its a rough balancing act which people go to school to learn how to best achieve the balance...

thats why i suggested 25.. its like a 5th of the current server number, but not so few that people wont ever get to play.. they might get away with 15-20 but i woudltn go less than 15

Asias three servers have been standard to very heavy every time I've looked at them... if anything Asia could do with another server.

North America I think could do with 20.

I'd like to see 500-1000 people on fleet during peak times. and never any less than 200 on fleet at any time.

Asias three servers have been standard to very heavy every time I've looked at them... if anything Asia could do with another server.

North America I think could do with 20.

I'd like to see 500-1000 people on fleet during peak times. and never any less than 200 on fleet at any time.

i hate how people use th number of people on the fleet as a reference for how well the server is doing.. those people on the fleet are either waiting for pvp, or a group for a flashpoint.. or they are just wasting time on the fleet for whatever reason..it is not indicitive of the health of a server...there are pleanty of people still playing on each planet as there is on the fleet ... it is sorta a half assed way to determine how well the server is doing....why would i base my opinion on people standing around and not on people actually playing on the planets ?

i hate how people use th number of people on the fleet as a reference for how well the server is doing.. those people on the fleet are either waiting for pvp, or a group for a flashpoint.. or they are just wasting time on the fleet for whatever reason..it is not indicitive of the health of a server...there are pleanty of people still playing on each planet as there is on the fleet ... it is sorta a half assed way to determine how well the server is doing....why would i base my opinion on people standing around and not on people actually playing on the planets ?

I hate how people don't realize you can be on the fleet and see exactly how many people are logged in on your side total just by using the search. If it's below 50 you'll see all of them and where they are.

There are servers with literally less than 10 people per side total.

Go look for yourself. All these posts about dead servers don't just come from nowhere.

Edited by HKDeath

I hate how people don't realize you can be on the fleet and see exactly how many people are logged in on your side total just by using the search. If it's below 50 you'll see all 50 and where they are.

There are servers with literally less than 10 people per side total.

Go look for yourself. All these posts about dead servers don't just come from nowhere.

you may be an exception, but the average person does not know they can get a total number of people playing on their faction side at any given time.. and they ARE basing their numbers on the number of people on the fleet.. i know because i have asked them if they ever consider the planets as in regards to number of players on..and my answer more than once has been that no one plays on the planets anymore they just sit on the fleet and do nothing ( which of course is a ******** answer..but still) so ya i know you can get a total number,,but not everyone does...

and i have never seen a server with only 10 people on at any given time.

It is the hub of the game. You go through there quite often even if only for a short time. At 50 (I'm guessing as I don't have any lvl 50 characters) there really isn't anywhere else to be. It's the one place that everyone goes through on a regular basis and so is a good indication of server population.

Every game has a town or something where everyone gathers to chat, sell stuff, craft stuff.... so on and so forth. That town is a good indication of the health of that server. For SWTOR fleet is that town.

It is the hub of the game. You go through there quite often even if only for a short time. At 50 (I'm guessing as I don't have any lvl 50 characters) there really isn't anywhere else to be. It's the one place that everyone goes through on a regular basis and so is a good indication of server population.

Every game has a town or something where everyone gathers to chat, sell stuff, craft stuff.... so on and so forth. That town is a good indication of the health of that server. For SWTOR fleet is that town.

my 50 is rarely on the fleet... ilum, my ship, helping guild mates. is what my 50 does.. rarely am i on the fleet unless i decide to try and pvp from it. ( i normally pvp from wherever i am..) so not everyone uses the fleet as a meeting ground..and its a good indication of the people on the fleet sure, but what about people leveling.. like the other poster said the only way to determine that is to look it up... and most people who complain dont.

They should just change everything to one server and make different instances if things gets to crowded this way it always stays nice populated just with more or less instances guilds should just automaticaly log to the majority of the guild instance. simple but if ya want to play with others ya just travel to the one you want to.

Interesting.

Could you give us more details about your statistical methods? When did you count the populations? How many times did you count? On how many servers did you do it? Which equations did you use? In other words, how did you end up with 8, 4 and 3?

They should just change everything to one server and make different instances if things gets to crowded this way it always stays nice populated just with more or less instances guilds should just automaticaly log to the majority of the guild instance. simple but if ya want to play with others ya just travel to the one you want to.

the guard wars way of doing things is horrible.. and doesnt work well for a game where you dont have instanced worlds and uninstanced cities and towns... it just doesnt work for every mmo.. hell i am still not convinced it worked all that well for guild wars

I think they should merge all the RP-PvP servers into two,

merge the PvP servers into 10,

merge the pve servers into 10,

merge the rp-pve servers into two,

24 servers seems about right for healthy online populations. It might get crowded on expansion patch days, or big event days; but its better then what we have now.

my 50 is rarely on the fleet... ilum, my ship, helping guild mates. is what my 50 does.. rarely am i on the fleet unless i decide to try and pvp from it. ( i normally pvp from wherever i am..) so not everyone uses the fleet as a meeting ground..and its a good indication of the people on the fleet sure, but what about people leveling.. like the other poster said the only way to determine that is to look it up... and most people who complain dont.

I have 16 characters. The highest is 36. All I'm doing is by definition leveling. After each planet I'm on fleet spending my commendations. The longest time I spend on fleet is when I'm leveling my crafting. Spent a good 2 hours going 1-100 on my crafting. Fleet has a convenient GTN and vendors. So while you are leveling you stop by the fleet quite often. It's a good representative sample of the people on the server.

Basically a healthy server will have more people on the fleet at any given time then an unhealthy server.

It is a fine balancing act. I've never had a queue that I had to wait for and I wouldn't want to wait more than 5 minutes to be able to log on - not even if they were paying me 1000 credits a minute for wait time.

Having a consistent queue is far more likely to cause me to unsubscribe than an empty server. I doubt if I am alone in this attitude.

It is a fine balancing act. I've never had a queue that I had to wait for and I wouldn't want to wait more than 5 minutes to be able to log on - not even if they were paying me 1000 credits a minute for wait time.

Having a consistent queue is far more likely to cause me to unsubscribe than an empty server. I doubt if I am alone in this attitude.

I don't know about that.

I've seen probably thousands of posts about how people are quitting due to dead servers.

I don't think I've ever seen a post saying someone quit because they had to wait 5 minutes to get into a server with a healthy population.

How many servers do you think they could conceivably condense TOR down to right now to make more "Fatman" type populated servers?

Let's do it by

US

Europe

Asia-Pacific

US 123

Europe 25

Asia-Pacific 3

My guesses are

US = 8

Europe = 4

Asia-Pacific = 3

Er....... that's a bit low for EU servers

There are currently:

45 English EU servers

30 German EU servers

16 French EU servers

91 TOTAL EU servers.

Like 7 US and 5 EU would be plenty at this point.

That might even be overkill within the next few months. People are dropping like flies and it's in a domino effect. I monitor my servers pop daily and it just keeps going lower, and lower, and lower.

Since they have layering tech they should just condense it all to 1 server, that way they do it once and its done with. Also solves all the issues of cross server queues and mail and GTN, and solves the issue of faction balance.

Let's do it by

US

Europe

Asia-Pacific

US 123

Europe 25

Asia-Pacific 3

My guesses are

US = 8

Europe = 4

Asia-Pacific = 3

a million subs on 15 servers total?

From all the math i have seen on that other thread,and i know they may be sligthly off i have no dount that 15 servers would be about right for America,maybe 20,i think or hopes that's the way it goes. Edited by Sathid