How many servers could they condense this to?

HKDeath

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since they have layering tech they should just condense it all to 1 server, that way they do it once and its done with. Also solves all the issues of cross server queues and mail and GTN, and solves the issue of faction balance.

Interesting idea.

-That unique server, would it be a pvp, pve, rp-pvp or a rp-pve server?

-Would it be an english, french or german server?

-How many players would you let in each layer?

-How would you solve the problem with character names, guild names and legacies?

-How would you solve the problem with players actually having multiple characters (more than 8) on multiple servers?

-How would you solve the problem of players, friends or guildmates wanting to be in the same layer all the time even if they'd be on different planets/instances (so, possibly different layers)?

-Would you let all the 1.3M players using the same general & trade chats on the fleets?

-What do you do with players who actually prefer less populated servers (yes, those players do exist) and would be forced to play in extremely populated layers?

IMO 1 server with multiple instances. That would solve alot of issues.

Or BW needs to start doing some good calculations and come up with a good number that leaves all servers with a heavy to very heavy population. Something like 6k people per server, somewhat even populations per side. No limit on character slots if it causes an issue with merges/transfers.

Time is slipping away from them, more and more people leave every day and new MMOs are coming out that are more appealing.

Haha, I laugh at these low numbers of servers that they think BW will condense to, are you guys crazy? That would make this game look like a complete failure to the eyes outside of this game, BW is not the type of company that'll do the right thing, they'll probably condense down by something like 15-20% or to 100 US servers, maybe they will take a risk and go 90, but never a drastic change and we will all be disappointed once again.

Haha, I laugh at these low numbers of servers that they think BW will condense to, are you guys crazy? That would make this game look like a complete failure to the eyes outside of this game, BW is not the type of company that'll do the right thing, they'll probably condense down by something like 15-20% or to 100 US servers, maybe they will take a risk and go 90, but never a drastic change and we will all be disappointed once again.

I'm not sure how to break this to you...

US- 15

EU-5

Asia-3

15 sounds about right for US. sure you have the people that log on at dif times but in order to keep a populated server at all times then you should have 10-15. and i wouldnt mind a 5-15 min queue as long as there was ppl to play with.

They definitely need to lower the server number. I remember reading somewhere that the hero engine can support up to a 100 000 players.. Obviously BW wouldn't go that high. But the fact that we have less than 200 servers with sub base of around 1.3 million is sad. Especially since BW could theoretically fit every single sub on 20 servers (time zones aside).

All we need is around 50 servers and that would be more than enough to accommodate all players

i hate how people use th number of people on the fleet as a reference for how well the server is doing.. those people on the fleet are either waiting for pvp, or a group for a flashpoint.. or they are just wasting time on the fleet for whatever reason..it is not indicitive of the health of a server...there are pleanty of people still playing on each planet as there is on the fleet ... it is sorta a half assed way to determine how well the server is doing....why would i base my opinion on people standing around and not on people actually playing on the planets ?

I would'nt say plenty are playing on other planets. I was on the other day...prime time. ..42 in Fleet....went to Belsavis and there was 7 there. Jumped on my Sith Sorcerer on Hoth there was a whopping 3 there...:p I would say what the numbers are on the Fleet are a good indication of the pop of the server.

Obviously Eve online architecture is special but when they give number they divide registered users from concurrent users.

While I think US should be 14 servers I do want to make a couple of points:

The fiasco that was the freeze frame of Ilum

Remember stuff in lagged hard in Fleet they said they fixed it but maybe those fixes were also assisted by population decline

In short maybe game engine issues (they can't merge to the extent they should because it would uncover performance issues). Maybe they know something we don't know.

But, if that is not the case 12-14 US servers

Obviously Eve online architecture is special but when they give number they divide registered users from concurrent users.

While I think US should be 14 servers I do want to make a couple of points:

The fiasco that was the freeze frame of Ilum

Remember stuff in lagged hard in Fleet they said they fixed it but maybe those fixes were also assisted by population decline

In short maybe game engine issues (they can't merge to the extent they should because it would uncover performance issues). Maybe they know something we don't know.

But, if that is not the case 12-14 US servers

This is a suspicion I have. The game should be able to have 500-1000 characters on screen without lagging horribly. But indications are that the game can only handle about 20 characters on the screen...

Servers should have 100,000 people on them. Zones on these servers should regularly see large quantities of people gathered. It should be able to handle this without sharding.

All indication I see is the game is not capable of the above and probably won't ever be capable of it.

I started off thinking about 25 American but then you do the math.

I've logged on servers and seen literally less than 10 people on Imperial side.

So 10 servers worth of 10 Imperials would get you 100 people, that wouldn't match the Fatman population. So it would take more than 10 servers combined, probably like 15, just to make 1 more Fatman.

So I said 12 for the US but in all honesty looking at the math I was being very generous. They could probably reduce it to 8.

Edit- there I edited the OP to be more realistic.

Now imagine someone has more than 8 characters on 2 servers you want merged. This is more than you can have on one server, also they can have separate legacies. There can be many people in the same situation also the ones currently not subscribed. How do you want to solve such problems during server merge?

I've seen some suggestions that North American servers could be consolidated to as low as 20 servers or less. I can almost guarantee you that if they did this people would be furious about queue times on their servers. Especially during the opening weeks of content patches and likely the first few months of an expansion. Edited by Varteras

How many servers do you think they could conceivably condense TOR down to right now to make more "Fatman" type populated servers?

Let's do it by

US

Europe

Asia-Pacific

Here's the current number of servers for each category:

US 123

Europe 25

Asia-Pacific 3

My guesses are

US = 8

Europe = 4

Asia-Pacific = 3

Mh lol am i missing something here? I am pretty sure EU has much more then 25 servers.

Mh lol am i missing something here? I am pretty sure EU has much more then 25 servers.

You're right it's 45 not 25 let me fix that.

It still doesn't change my 4 server guess. Those 45 according to TORStatus look less populated than the US servers and have an even sharper dropoff trend.

Edited by HKDeath

Maybe I messed up but I just counted 91. Still, that anyone came up with 25 or 45 is beyond me. That seems like a significant counting error.

I missed the flag icons for Germany and France.

My best guess is merging them to 1/4, so around 30 US and 25 u would be a start.

Maybe lower, since ilum is no longer popular that zone won't be there to make a large chunk of the population play powerpoint.tor