If Bio/EA used microtransactions, what do you want/not want to see?

Maxil

(branched off from the conference call thread here)

Looking at the top earners for EA, and their stated interest during the conference call in moving towards cash shops in all their games, it's obvious they are banking hard on the microtransaction route. The last couple NHL and Madden games were built around that team building mode where you have to buy player packs which expire unless you buy more packs to keep them going, and if FIFA hasn't yet I'm sure it will be the focus of it this year. BF3 went microtransactions in that you could buy weapon and vehicle unlocks, basically cutting out the need to 'grind' at all. Unfamiliar with need for speed, but anyone who touched the sims 3 knows about the store as it's in your face any time you want to launch the game and the upcoming simcity will likely have a similar structure.

Which left me thinking when I went to bed last night, again what kind of microtransactions might come into swtor. Mounts really jumped into mind first, but after that (and perhaps vanity oranges, but we already have social) I drew somewhat of a blank. Maybe crafting ingredients? 99c for 10 lvl6 artifact mats? Legacy unlocks for real cash instead of credits? Maybe you can buy "rested bonus" to increase leveling rate?

IF Microtransactions are brought into The Old Republic, what do you want to see in the store?

What do you not want to see in the store?

Edited by Maxil

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF Microtransactions are brought into The Old Republic, what do you want to see in the store?

What do you not want to see in the store?

If they implement microtransactions then the only things I'd like to see in it is purely cosmetic things that still would be possible to acquire ingame, anything else and they'd better offer an exit door for free.

Mostly crafting schematics, materials, credits, mods, stuff that gives you more experience per kill, and stuff that increases a specific stat by 1 for $2.00 US, so if you want to raise, say, endurance by 50 it'd set you back $100 though content would and should still be balanced around non-microtransaction stats.

F2P usually means you have to pay for the following...

1) Access to all premium content (No sub? Limited access to PvE and PvP content)

2) Priority server access

3) More character slots

4) Shared bank slots

5) Cosmetic items (new appearance options, speeders, pets, companion cosmetics)

6) Premium crafting recipes (schematics)

7) Unlimited credits (No sub? Your total wealth is capped)

Just a guess based on the LOTRO F2P model, which, when it was introduced, effectively saved the game and has increased overall subscriptions. The same model has also proved successful for DDO.

Won't do it. I'll un-sub immediately.

Typical response from someone who doesn't understand what F2P actually means.

Edited by Blistrich

Great opportunity to get rid of the overused bind on pickup raid or die model. Forget microtransactions. Create a currency exchange for player to player transactions, make the game a treasure hunting game ala Diablo, and watch the money come rolling in. Not to mention a huge spike in subs.

Hopefully any microtransactions will be to buy convenience and things that are fun, not for power gains.

Bigger backpacks. More bank vault space. More character slots. Faster travel. Maybe a different personal ship design. Hmm...how about solo/smaller group versions of operations or even flashpoints? Maybe additional companions or personality changes for companions. Cosmetic items like speeders and gear.

Ideally they wouldn't have MT and instead would release new pay-for content packs on a much more frequent basis instead.

F2P usually means you have to pay for the following...

1) Access to all premium content (No sub? Limited access to PvE and PvP content)

2) Priority server access

3) More character slots

4) Shared bank slots

5) Cosmetic items (new appearance options, speeders, pets, companion cosmetics)

6) Premium crafting recipes (schematics)

7) Unlimited credits (No sub? Your total wealth is capped)

Just a guess based on the LOTRO F2P model, which, when it was introduced, effectively saved the game and has increased overall subscriptions. The same model has also proved successful for DDO.

Typical response from someone who doesn't understand what F2P actually means.

actually, the LOTRO model is not the 'typical' f2p model. most f2p models include gear, potions that are far superiour to what you find in-game, mounts/pets that do stuff the in-games don't and so on

I much prefer the subscription model.

Why?

Seriously, explain. Is it because a sub game feels more "successful"?

I challenge anyone here to show me how the LOTRO F2P model is either "play to win" or failed to improve the game.

actually, the LOTRO model is not the 'typical' f2p model. most f2p models include gear, potions that are far superiour to what you find in-game, mounts/pets that do stuff the in-games don't and so on

And it uses microtransactions in an excellent way.

Not all F2P or microtransaction models are identical. Some are fantastic. Some suck.

This game has neither kind yet.

Edited by Blistrich

Why?

Seriously, explain. Is it because a sub game feels more "successful"?

I challenge anyone here to show me how the LOTRO F2P model is either "play to win" or failed to improve the game.

how exactly .did. it improve the game if I may ask? most player still have a subscription anyway.

Edited by amnie

how exactly .did. it improve the game if I may ask? most player still have a subscription anyway.

It brought in the option for players to experience the game without a sub, and then to choose their level of monetary involvement, which prompted more F2P players to subscribe to specific features.

Edited by Blistrich

The OP doesn't even mention F2P ...

I honestly haven't given it much thought, and would initially think they would try a cash shop stage before ditching the sub model completely, but I wouldn't put it past EA as F2P is also an interest to them.

I'll back this up.

LotRO is one of the few games out there that IMO did it right. But LotRO isn't really a true F2P game either, you can still sign up for a $15/month sub and not have to buy a single thing from the turbine shop. Plus you get free points each month to buy the stuff you do want, like items for the appearance tab, quick travel stuff, or even buy a mount as early as lvl 5 I think.

There's little question that going the hybrid F2P/Sub model that LotRO did, has done a lot of good for the game, and they've produced more content since then they did in the year or so prior to that.

There's little question that going the hybrid F2P/Sub model that LotRO did, has done a lot of good for the game, and they've produced more content since then they did in the year or so prior to that.

Bingo. Increased interest. Increased microtransaction involvement. Increased content delivery.

Hybrid microtransations, when done right, are a powerful tool.

Mostly crafting schematics, materials, credits, mods, stuff that gives you more experience per kill, and stuff that increases a specific stat by 1 for $2.00 US, so if you want to raise, say, endurance by 50 it'd set you back $100 though content would and should still be balanced around non-microtransaction stats.

Will immediately quit the game if any of these "wants" are ever added to the game via MTs.

Will also immediately quit the game the moment it goes F2P. /shrug

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.