If It Wasn't Star Wars, Would You PvP?

Cempa

For me it's not "If It Wasn't Star Wars, Would You PvP?" but rather "if it wasn't Star Wars, would I be playing it at all".

This game is lacking in many ways, and is too much of the same old that other more established games have done. If Bioware gets out of the mindset of endgame = raid or pvp, and gives us much more interesting things to do, basically make it a real universe to play around in instead of a few planets for leveling and a fleet to just sit around on then it could go far.

As far as the "new game": I played it a little but was busy all weekend so I couldn't really give it an honest try, but from what I did play I was somewhat disappointed. I know it's still beta, but there were things that really bothered me.

For instance: I was playing a thief with sword/dagger or dagger/ dagger combo. The first problem was the actual movement. Running, changing directions, attacking, all the controls felt a bit sluggish, like going from playing Street Fighter 2 to Tekken. I like the simplified ability lists, but many of the abilities felt lackluster or unimportant, and dodging against players is hard because the animation don't really project what's going on very well. You basically choose to just dodge what may be a weak ability or take the hit from what may be a strong ability. And all the pvp battlegrounds I played had some mist effect that was really annoying.

I still have hope for both games, but it really seems like 1 just isn't trying that hard to be new or different and the other doesn't have the backing to go as "all out" as they want to.

Edit: about world pvp in SW; they should add a planet with 5 or six control points that grant bonuses to every character on the server, wherever they are. You could have a factory that if your faction holds it then all players do 10% more damage to mobs, or food processing facility that grants an ooc healing bonus similar to the food you can get from cantinas. Make each one matter and players will strive to hold on to them. The only real problem comes from the lack of faction balance on most servers.

Edited by Dcayd

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's not "If It Wasn't Star Wars, Would You PvP?" but rather "if it wasn't Star Wars, would I be playing it at all".

This game is lacking in many ways, and is too much of the same old that other more established games have done. If Bioware gets out of the mindset of endgame = raid or pvp, and gives us much more interesting things to do, basically make it a real universe to play around in instead of a few planets for leveling and a fleet to just sit around on then it could go far.

As far as the "new game": I played it a little but was busy all weekend so I couldn't really give it an honest try, but from what I did play I was somewhat disappointed. I know it's still beta, but there were things that really bothered me.

For instance: I was playing a thief with sword/dagger or dagger/ dagger combo. The first problem was the actual movement. Running, changing directions, attacking, all the controls felt a bit sluggish, like going from playing Street Fighter 2 to Tekken. I like the simplified ability lists, but many of the abilities felt lackluster or unimportant, and dodging against players is hard because the animation don't really project what's going on very well. You basically choose to just dodge what may be a weak ability or take the hit from what may be a strong ability. And all the pvp battlegrounds I played had some mist effect that was really annoying.

I still have hope for both games, but it really seems like 1 just isn't trying that hard to be new or different and the other doesn't have the backing to go as "all out" as they want to.

Edit: about world pvp in SW; they should add a planet with 5 or six control points that grant bonuses to every character on the server, wherever they are. You could have a factory that if your faction holds it then all players do 10% more damage to mobs, or food processing facility that grants an ooc healing bonus similar to the food you can get from cantinas. Make each one matter and players will strive to hold on to them. The only real problem comes from the lack of faction balance on most servers.

Are you the only other person that isn't employed by ArenaNet in this thread? LOL

I hate to say this, especially with a group of PvPers, but this game is not a PvP game. SWTOR is a cooperative game, not a competitive one. Flashpoints and Operations are an absolute blast. Exciting stories and a good Star Wars skinned WoW PVE content. Not perfect, but it is good. PvP on the other hand is absolutely disgraceful. Because it's PvP Bioware cannot really implement what they do best, story, thus they lack any form of expertise in that area whatsoever. It's sad yes, but this is a game for leveling a raiding, not a galactic war game.

RoFL this is funny because when this game was in beta everyone said the samething they were unsubbing there previous MMO to play this game because it was so great. I personally Love this game because you can use sabers and blaster. Another game I loved just because it wasn't a wow or warhammer or aion or gw was Matrix Onine. Also loved City of heroes. I'm tired of the same type of MMO coming out and let's be real they are all really the same only the game mechanics are different. I love this game because it is different then all others right now.

I probably wouldn't even have touched the game if it wasn't star wars.

I wanted some kind of new kotor or any playable star wars game (aka not force unleashed/lego star wars), and I'm satisfied. I wasn't looking for the next big MMO.

I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat.

Edited by lpsmash

I was playing RIFT to get my skill level back up MMO wise before I came here. I was having a blast... just seriously no more elves and wizards and medival horse bunk... can't take that stuff anymore.

MASS EFFECT MMORPG!!

That would be so great.

Me and my friends came to this game as we were following it from its original announcement.

We were familiar with Bioware from the Baldur's Gate days and were looking forward to this title because of how good both KOTORs were.

We came to this game ONLY because it is a Star Wars based game and because it has deep storylines and lore that any other MMO lacks. This is one of the reasons why I have so many alts- to experience all the different class story lines.

That being said, we are not raiders any longer and enjoy casual PvE and PvP with our little bunch of 3-4 peeps. We are aware that the end game is lacking and that is probably the reason for the high number of alts by all of us. There really seems no rush to 50 (where we intended to do all of our PvP initially) since it seems that the best PvP happens now at 10-49 which is not very appealing.

I have 60 days left on my sub so hopefully there will be meaningful changes by then when I will most likely have 2 or 3 50s. I think if there is no improvement by then, I may just let my sub run out.

As far as the 'other' MMO everyone is speaking of, I have heard good things but wasn't aware of a open beta they had which I would have loved to try out for myself.

For me and my friends we made a pleasant discovery regarding a older Star Wars MMO that is no longer live. We found a emulator of this game that is being developed and have been spending much time there. The best part is it's FREE and I know there are many here that played that game long ago or even until its death last December,

High paced combat is something to hide behind when the game decides that 1-2-3 BOOM player dead is a good thing. Its what WoW has and 1.2 is a step in that direction. As long as that new game maintains TTK it has now, PvP will be more tactical and less gear dependent.

If I was to name one thing I absolutely and categorically hated it would be that PvP gear is so poorly optimized, we need to grind the same set 2 or 3 times just to get the proper Enhancements and Mods! Edited by Cempa

SWToR PvP is extremely successful. The % of the playerbase that PvP is way higher than WoW or EQ or any other similar MMO.

EQ never really had meaningful pvp in the 11 years I played it, other than a couple low population special rules servers. They didn't have a clue how to keep 20,000 hp players set up to kill 1,000,000 hp mobs from one-shotting each other. End game abilities and resists made EQ pvp a non-starter. Unfortunately pvp was not the only thing Sony was clueless about.

this. ive already made my decision, the only way they are going to keep me playing this game is a revert to pvp the way it was before 1.2 ( longer TTK) and massive efforts in world pvp. AND MAKE MY ARSENAL MERC ACTUALLY USABLE IN PVP AGAIN!

i know its not going to happen. they screwed everything that has to do with pvp up COMPLETELY.

so my moneys going to the other game you guys are talking about. ill be canceling my swtor account on the last day of my free time.

LOL Arsenal Merc was never usuable in PvP.