If It Wasn't Star Wars, Would You PvP?

Cempa

As I finished beta weekend for a new up and coming MMO that is also fantasy based I found myself asking the question: If this game -TOR- was not based in the Star Wars universe, would I play and enjoy its PvP?

TOR has gear based PvP which is like many MMO's and some people think it was modeled after the largest MMO in the world -subscription base. TOR graphics could be described as similar to WoW in many ways -too cartoon like tbh.

As I played beta this passed weekend PvP was not gear based because we all had the same gear. Every zone was end game, if you are level xx and walk into a starter area with level 5 mobs, the mobs scaled to your level and so did the loot. The PvP maps were fun, multi levels with buildings and corners and just enough room for ranged to play and not too big as to allow melee to also have fun.

At level 2 -5 minutes after starting the game- you could port to the PvP area were you are fitted with top level gear and you can change spec and gear around. You also have the ability to change colors of anything to anything!

Unlike TOR or WoW you will never get blown up in seconds, you will have time to recover and 1v1 can take an eternity so people rather play in groups. The really fun part is you can dodge abilities completely by simply double taping movement key in any direction, so you need to pay attention to who is casting what and when!

I find myself realizing that TOR is not far behind WoW when it comes to gear based, nurf this, buff that and 1,2,3 BOOM dead game play in PvP and realized that had it not been set in the Star Wars universe I would have left after 1.2.

What about you?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I wished PvP WAS more like Star Wars, than copied from one generic messy MMO(WoW). I really dont understand why Bioware have a fascination in 'death within 20 seconds'. When I come up against Smugglers, I get so annoyed because they simply have far too many stuns and a knock back better than a force user!

This left me wondering how many times I saw Han Solo running around in combat, stunning the enemy, knocking them back 20 metres etc - well he didnt.

Given the lack of any kind of open world pvp now, Warzones have become the only staple of pvp action. After playing the latest offering, Novare Coast - its clear Bioware just dont want any kind of war in this game. Hell, even Novare Coast isnt a real warzone - its a 'war simulation'.

For once, Bioware should stop trying to wrap everyone up in cotton wool and actually flex some creative muscle and give those who wish to pvp the ability to raid other planets, capture bunkers for faction buffs(like GW2 does with its World v World)

You make a great point, I wish PvP WAS more like Star Wars.

In my opinion any 1v1 should last a long time -about 2 minutes or even more.

Time to kill should feel long in group game play and healing/protection should not be powerful at all.

I don't want WoW or anything like WoW but love Star Wars. Sadly I feel 1.2 has moved PvP in TOR a step closer to PvP in WoW.

Edited by Cempa

I might just love that new game. Gear grinding is not fun. Having to grind gear in order to be on a level ground to have fun blows. Problem is all the current top MMO games WoW, SWTOR, RIFT require some grinding and as players we don't really have much choice.

Now that new game is not sub based, therefore it needs to be fun to sell a lot of copies, and it does not want you to do a lot of grinding since you are not going to pay them more going through all the time sinks. If anything you play casually they save bandwidth and electricity costs.

Now that new game is not sub based, therefore it needs to be fun to sell a lot of copies, and it does not want you to do a lot of grinding since you are not going to pay them more going through all the time sinks. If anything you play casually they save bandwidth and electricity costs.

That's a reason I have high hopes for that game. They will have to make the game appealing and fun, instead of adding time sinks.

I played this 'new' game over the beta weekend just gone and it was a lot of fun. Lots of teething problems though but thats beta for you! PvP isnt gear based at all(outside of World v World), but their structured pvp zone allows everyone to be max level and have full abilities.

I think people are waiting to hear from BW regarding the state of PvP balance looking forward.

CC needs toning down, too many stuns and snares and roots in the game.

PvP damage is a little on the high side.

The answer is no, if this game was not a Star Wars title I would have quit after finding out that there really is no Open World PvP....I like Warzones but there should be about 20 Warzone maps, not just 4

My Daoc guild beta tested that upcoming game this past weekend also, these two games are worlds apart when it comes to RvR/PvP and I cant see any serious or hell even casual PvP player choosing Swtor over that upcoming game

The only reason I am playing this game is the Star Wars license, the main reason I stopped playing some other games (like Rift, which came closer than previous releases to a well balanced mechanic and play) was that they had lackluster or uninspired/boring settings.

Bioware has milked the Star Wars license and it is the ONLY reason I continue to put up with a game that feels and plays like something from 2005. I have hopes that they are slowly moving in the right direction, but each new "big" update seems to have odd priority choices.

I agree with the OP. I really joined this game, as I do like Star Wars, and did play KOTOR some years ago, and liked those games too. If it were not Star Wars, I wouldn't be playing at all. Then again I was going to originally play 'WOW', but never bothered in the end. But nope, I play this because its supposed to be set in a Star Wars fantasy universe.

Yes, because it was Bioware. I've been a long standing Bioware fan, and was very much looking forward especially because it was Star Wars, alas nothing of the epic feel of Star Wars has passed onto the game. I think it's the worst effort to date of Biowares talents. I have enjoyed warzones but it's limited and satisfying to a small point only.

Warhammer had its faults but the RvR was great fun, as some of team surely worked on that how did it go so wrong.

I have begun to appreciate and play Mario Kart on the Wii again, I think that says it all.

I'll see you all in that other game.

I hate to say it but .. No I would not be playing if this was not star wars.

Quite simply this game has nothing new.. It has fallen into the same trap as rift. I have not moved off the IF in weeks.. Just waiting for wz to pop to grind gear for the next wz. It's near mind numbing. If I didn't have rl friends playing I wouldn't be playing.

It's not NASA science to realise pvp'ers want open world pvp... Warzones are 0.o.. The single worst new mmo feature ever.

As soon as the release date is announced for a certain other mmo I will be cancelling my swtor account.

To answer bluntly NO , I also played the other game this weekend and tbh the pvp is truly epic , Not to mention all the guild functionality , guild emblems on pvp armour , guild capes , dyes , etc

The customization and pvp and guild options are just epic :p

in the other game that is

This game has star wars linked to it so it will always have its supporters , i will pay out my sub untill launch of the other game

I don't pvp anymore, it's boring as hell now after 2 BM's and a host of other rank 30-50's. Even rated WZ's really don't interrest me as it's the same 4 maps again....zzzzz.

However, if this was not a Star Wars game, i wouldn't be playing anymore either. The lore is all that keeps me pveing.

Yes, because it was Bioware. I've been a long standing Bioware fan, and was very much looking forward especially because it was Star Wars, alas nothing of the epic feel of Star Wars has passed onto the game. I think it's the worst effort to date of Biowares talents. I have enjoyed warzones but it's limited and satisfying to a small point only.

Warhammer had its faults but the RvR was great fun, as some of team surely worked on that how did it go so wrong.

I have begun to appreciate and play Mario Kart on the Wii again, I think that says it all.

I'll see you all in that other game.

Bioware are just EA puppets now, even ME3 was hugely disappointing.

I agree with the OP. I really joined this game, as I do like Star Wars, and did play KOTOR some years ago, and liked those games too. If it were not Star Wars, I wouldn't be playing at all. Then again I was going to originally play 'WOW', but never bothered in the end. But nope, I play this because its supposed to be set in a Star Wars fantasy universe.

+1

I only bought this game as i loved bioware kotor and hoped they will do another great title in mmo genre. Story wise they did great job, pve overall alot needs improvement. But when it comes to pvp only time i really had fun is lvl 10-49 brackets after lvl 50 got tossed out there. I got 3 level 50's now and i can tell if this wasnt Star Wars i wouldnt even bother let alone pvp. I disliked rift pvp and i see same thing happening here, it will result less people want to do that in the end. Another big issue is one sided faction population in pvp especially and that hurts alot servers that i see people in republic side giving up. We all remember the ilum fiasco and rank/grear exploit. I call it that way bacause bioware released hotfix. Otherwise would have been usual weekly patch.

In a word no ,

this game has nothing i cant get for free in other titles ,

Orvr well id like to say nice try but it was not even that ,

My guild will be leaving and we were the last of 6 PVP guilds that started the game with us

Shoot, I was playing that other game all weekend too! I couldn't get enough! Sad to say I've experienced more glitches/bugs in this game than that other one in their FIRST beta! Also, I like how they force even teams, though I've been the highest scorer on the winning team, and then around 400 got forced to the losing team.

But that's whatever. Balance is more important than content anyway. The server vs. server was awesome as well! For a while we were the top dog, but then we got bumped up to the full server realm vs realm and got smoked. They have a lot they're still going to add, and being able to pvp non-stop 24 hours a day is what I LOVED. I wish there was enough on to get a PvP pop on my server. But there are hardly even 10 50's on, let alone having them queue. So getting WH gear is slow as heck having to grind the Tat PvP area for comms to convert.

I waited eagerly for this game to launch since it was first talked about.

1) It's Star Wars. Yes, I'm a huge fanboy.

2) It's BioWare. KOTOR I and II were awesome games, as were many others.

3) There were a lot of promises made about engaging and rewarding PvP.

Having played this game since day one of early access, it's the lore and environment that keep me playing. If this were any other setting, I would've dropped my sub the day 1.2 went live...possibly even sooner. It sucks when good small companies get bought out by large megacorps and lose their identity, which is what happened when EA bought BioWare. I think all their creativity got sucked out of them.

Even more important than that, the PvP development team just flat out needs to be FIRED. I for damn sure know that if I failed to do my job for several months, I'd be sent packing. That's what needs to happen here. They just aren't getting it done, and it seemingly gets worse with every patch.

I'm playing on borrowed time. After my freebie 31 days are up, there's really nothing keeping me in this game unless there are some massive improvements to PvP.

I only put up with this crap pvp game cause its Star Wars and i would hate to see it fail but i am almost to the point that i will just shelf my 50's and just run through the story crap and play it like a single player and do the fun PVP thing in that game that had a beta this weekend :)...

You can basically pick one of three types of PvP in today's gaming world. You can pick the gear based PvP where the best gear wins (SWTOR, WoW etc), or pick the games where everyone has the same level and skill but it comes down to tricks and the team with the newest or best gimicks win, or you can pick the twitch style shootem up PvP games. Comparing the three is pretty much pointless as there is really no comparison between the three, they are all just completely different styles.