Server population is dropping...

Miffy

I'm just trying to imagine general chat in a community that big. Or trying to find enough cow butts or whatever quest item you need with so many other people after the same cow butts.

I think the Fatman population is just right. Queues pop nicely. Flashpoints/heroics are usually easy to get. With LFG tool it will be perfect. Feels massive but not overwhelming. Of course this is totally subjective and YMMV

EVE didn't loose 50% of potential customers that have bought their game either. And those dips were just that, dips.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just trying to imagine general chat in a community that big. Or trying to find enough cow butts or whatever quest item you need with so many other people after the same cow butts.

I think the Fatman population is just right. Queues pop nicely. Flashpoints/heroics are usually easy to get. With LFG tool it will be perfect. Feels massive but not overwhelming. Of course this is totally subjective and YMMV

Chat is one thing, but as for the "cow butts" some other games have different instances or channels you can join. So if there are 40 people in your area going after said cow butts, you can drop down into channel 2 or 3 and have 10 or so people going after those butts.

Chat is one thing, but as for the "cow butts" some other games have different instances or channels you can join. So if there are 40 people in your area going after said cow butts, you can drop down into channel 2 or 3 and have 10 or so people going after those butts.

I wish High School had that feature. There were way too many of us going after the same butts.

Eve has hit 40K+, World of Tanks hit 75K not to long ago, all on a single server.

But it's not a single server, it's 1 cluster (lots of servers linked together). When you travel to a different system your moving across servers, which is why the game world is not seamless. Eve can only hold a few 100 people on 1 server before it lags to death.

Edited by NasherUK

since my thread's been locked. I'm moving it here:

According to http://www.torstatus.net/ the population's been pretty steady since February (after initial decline) up to mid May. But look at the graph there! Both US and EU servers went to zero in about last 2 weeks! What a massive drop.

US and EU graphs (highlighted)

i know it's not representation of subscriptions, but it's kinda alarming at this point. Not many people are logging in to the game.

what do you think? Diablo 3?

if this is trend for upcomming weeks then SWTOR is dead in a few months. At this point server population status is almost irrelevant. 99% are light all the time.

Edited by Drom

This morning 3 standard pops

PvP Fatman (east coast) people are at work

PvE Jedi Covenant (east coast) people are at work

PvE Drooga's Pleasure Barge (west coast)people are at work

Everything else is light.

Hmmm, could possibly be that people are at work

Hmmm, could possibly be that people are at work

Or it could be that the server pops are drastically low, across the boards, because folks have stopped playing. Really I was just posting server pops as info...did not have an ulterior motive there.

Edited by Evironrage

They are like that at night in the US too. Do you not look? Only 10 or less are standard or above in the US during primetime.

Ya, I look at almost 200 servers with the population spread too thin across them, what of it? You mean if they brought everyone together like they are planning you will still spread doom across the board?

since my thread's been locked. I'm moving it here:

if this is trend for upcomming weeks then SWTOR is dead in a few months. At this point server population status is almost irrelevant. 99% are light all the time.

Oh damn I had a great reply to your thread all typed out but by the time I hit send it had (quite rightly) already been locked and you had been told to post in an existing thread.

Ya, I look at almost 200 servers with the population spread too thin across them, what of it? You mean if they brought everyone together like they are planning you will still spread doom across the board?

Other guy - "Server statuses show all servers except for these few are light."

You - "Because its during the day"

Me - "It doesn't matter what time of the day it is, they are always like that or close to it"

You - "Because the population is spread too thin!"

/boggle

Hmm, 5 months after the date of the original post in this thread, still no transfers or any information reguarding them other than "soon".

Looks like the creator of this thread foresaw what BioWare could not.

Edited by Abominant

I am not sure many folks would continue to spread the "Doom and Gloom" providing the mergers happened soon. However, the truth is unless the mergers happen by early July you can expect more unsubbing and inactivity.

The weather is getting nice around most of the country and invariably less folks are going to be sitting in front of the comps. Add that to playing by yourself, which many folks are doing, in an MMO space and it is a high quality recipe to kill a game's community.

Edited by Evironrage

Hmm, 5 months after the date of the original post in this thread, still no transfers or any information reguarding them other than "soon".

Looks like the creator of this thread foresaw what BioWare could not.

And that my friend is the crux of the problem.

:cool:

Well I've got 16 days left on my subscription.

I logged in the other day, having not played for 3 weeks, and there seems to be about 300 people on my server on republic from my count, and thats on Lord Calypho which used to be quite busy.

I shan't be renewing till Torstatus is showing all current servers are running at 2.0, thery're all about 1.0 at minute population wise.

I cant see it unless they close 50-75% of the servers, nevermind the odd promotional transfer.

Part of 1.3, out on test server in few weeks. That's pretty specific. There is another posting that explains why specific dates are not provided (check the dev tracker); pretty standard for the industry.