Server population is dropping...

Miffy

It will be overrun with whiney, self-entitled, narcissistic PvPers. Doesn't matter if the game is the pinnacle of MMO gaming. It's playerbase is guaranteed to be a cesspool.

I'll pass, thanks.

And this place is different?

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Rift's once-per-week free transfer limit your servers? (Don't tell me the game sucks; we're comparing features to your statement.)

Will GW2's free server transfer limit servers?

SWTOR is implementing features LATER and making them MORE RESTRICTIVE than its competition. I'm not talking WoW here; I'm talking about the new kids on the block. If nublet companies can do it, then a company that (at one time?) held one of the top 2 most respected positions in the game industry sure ought to be able to.

That's a really, really bad way to win and retain customers.

Rift and GW2 (presently, anyway) do not have the situation that Bioware finds themselves in, a couple super-servers where everyone wants to go.

If Rift had this issue, their transfers in the beginning would be targetted as well. All I see when people are complaining that they can't transfer anywhere for free, all they want is to transfer to The Fatman and increase the burden on that server. Bioware is not going to allow this, no matter how much people cry for it, not for free.

If you want to move to the super-servers, I think it is in Bioware's best interest to charge for it. That way, you would have to really want to move there, and it would make all of those peoples complaints about queue times there moot because, hey, they paid to move there.

Again, WoW, the most successfull MMO to date, does things just the way that Bioware is doing it. Why is that okay, but when Bioware does it, it is wrong?

No one has answered that for me yet.

These forums are fairly bad, yes, but that doesn't translate into the game much, from what I've seen. If you want to see what things are like in games that are all about the PvP, spend a little time with CoD and LoL.

These are the same people that will be drawn to GW2.

Again, WoW, the most successfull MMO to date, does things just the way that Bioware is doing it. Why is that okay, but when Bioware does it, it is wrong?

it's easy , because wow is wow with a massive playerbase because it has been established for years now , blizz is doing things way different as they did when they started.

Basicly they can becasue they are the most successfull MMO to date and as such can affort to do things their way , no starting mmo should try to mirror themself to wow , they need to work harder and offer more to get their playerbase established.

Edited by Bubalous

It IS different. The lack of a public combat log and the "exact" recipe of attributes being unknown has led to an extremely friendly in game community. My guild is awesome. Way better than my WoW guild. We never, ever ***** about "low dps" and blame one or two people. If we all fail, we just get up and try again. Best gaming experience I have had in a long time.

WoW (and other games) can keep their self absorded, lifeless, basement warriors. I don't want them here.

3 heavy, 45 light, rest normal.... ok now? is that enough for you?

ofc americans again think that they are alone in this world...

i am talking a out EUROPEAN SERVERS... check now this moment... majority of servers are LIGHT...

3 Heavy, 42 Standard, 46 Light - almost 50/50 at this point, I expect more Standard and Heavy as the night (for you) goes on.

But yes, despite the fact that population shifts on an MMO server just like it shifts between cities in a country, the game must be dying. I know the United States must be dying because according to the last census, many people moved out of my area, so the country must be dying.

Originally Posted by Nazaraxx

I played the beta GW2. Wipes the floor with SWTOR. No grinding and no endless dailies to get a pair of gloves. Rerolling character after character to unlock skills? You must be really bored to play that! Oh and btw way I aint paying a monthly sub Ha ha ha ha ha 'pause for breath' Ha ha ha ha ha

This ^^ Exactly how I felt 10 mins into GW2 when I jumped into WvW pvp at lvl 3.

And what's the end game in GW2? - oh yeah, we don't know yet, but most likely same as GW1 - none except endless title and gear grind.

BJ

Edited by BJWyler

And what's the end game in GW2? - oh yeah, we don't know yet, but most likely same as GW1 - none except endless title and gear grind.

BJ

And if there is none, then I'll still have had my money's worth as I did with SWTOR , difference being I won't need to unsub.

I've noticed a significant population drop the past week, I would estimate it to be around 30 % during prime time. Prime time is however not the thing I'm the most worried about, the real problem is off-prime time. During those hours we've now reached a point where the population is so low that even those who had their mind set on playing the game for a while will sign out again when they realize that their chances to get a group together basically are zero. So one problem is creating another and a downward spiral.

Yes this is a sad problem. Either we get a server merge, or BioWare pulls some amazing Marketing stunt to bring people to the game, or improve the game to the point word of mouth brings players back. (reduce load times ;) )

Myself.. I am having no problems on my server. Populations are thin and players are scarce and I am exceedingly happy about it. But then again. I also don't like people in general and MMO players in specific so my server's seemingly lower population suits me just fine, even if there are usually 40 odd people (too many) in the republic fleet station at any one time.

I find there are fewer people on the various planets and man let me tell ya, I sure enjoy not having to hear all the drek in general and all the whines about "you stole my harvest node". Makes me very happy.

So if you don't like low server populations, go roll a toon up on a server with a larger population and leave us loners to our [empty] servers so we can be happy.

Oh and BTW.. I don't really care what you think about what I posted. I am simply voicing my own opinion about server populations and the fact that I personally ENJOY being on a lower pop server. If that bothers you, do yourself a favor and keep it to yourself because frankly. I don't care what you think of my likes and dislikes.

~S

*edit* After reading what I wrote a few times, I realize that it comes off as a bit strong, let me explain something... I suffer from agoraphobia and severe social anxiety, so lower pop servers suit me fine because even in a game, lots of people cause me issues. It's not anything I can really do much about. ~S

Edited by Saitada

My server of Anchorhead is steadily dropping. It is usually at standard around 5pm edt, it is now 11:03pm and it is sitting at light with no more than 40 people on fleet. 4 people at the blackhole area of corellia, Still cant find a group for ****. All I can say is if they don't do the transfers fast a lot of people are going to quit due to not being able to enjoy the content

Myself.. I am having no problems on my server. Populations are thin and players are scarce and I am exceedingly happy about it. But then again. I also don't like people in general and MMO players in specific so my server's seemingly lower population suits me just fine, even if there are usually 40 odd people (too many) in the republic fleet station at any one time.

I find there are fewer people on the various planets and man let me tell ya, I sure enjoy not having to hear all the drek in general and all the whines about "you stole my harvest node". Makes me very happy.

So if you don't like low server populations, go roll a toon up on a server with a larger population and leave us loners to our [empty] servers so we can be happy.

Oh and BTW.. I don't really care what you think about what I posted. I am simply voicing my own opinion about server populations and the fact that I personally ENJOY being on a lower pop server. If that bothers you, do yourself a favor and keep it to yourself because frankly. I don't care what you think of my likes and dislikes.

~S

*edit* After reading what I wrote a few times, I realize that it comes off as a bit strong, let me explain something... I suffer from agoraphobia and severe social anxiety, so lower pop servers suit me fine because even in a game, lots of people cause me issues. It's not anything I can really do much about. ~S

Sociopath like yourself should do us social people a favor and stick to single players games. And why are you socializing in this thread anyway? Shouldn't you be by yourself on an empty server somewhere?

Edited by Darkscape

All I can say is that after getting a char to 50, I decided to take a week break. Now I cannot seem to play longer than 10-20 minutes before losing interest in leveling alt, and I have no interest in doing anything with my level 50. I rather continue playing "Legends of Grimrock", or GW2 beta.

Same. I have a 50, but I'm not excited at the grind fest (pvp) or waiting around for some group (pve). I focused on alts, and now have 3 of them that I keep at 40s (pvp fun) and a bunch more in 30s. I had hope that there would be more content in future that would make it worth being level 50. However, now that the population is dropping (80% in starter worlds from beginning, about 10 people tops in any given world leveling), there's not much excitement leveling alts. I cannot even do the world heroics anymore as there's just not enough bodies there.

Sociopath like yourself should do us social people a favor and stick to single players games. And why are you socializing in this thread anyway? Shouldn't you be by yourself on an empty server somewhere?

Personally I'd take that person over this any day:

Until the sub runs out just to annoy fanboys like you.

I had a 750 queue on Freedon Nadd, now there is none, it speaks for its self.

Its Warhammer Online all over again, ironically they hired those same people to ruin this game, now thats just plain dumb.

I had a 750 queue on Freedon Nadd, now there is none, it speaks for its self.

Its Warhammer Online all over again, ironically they hired those same people to ruin this game, now thats just plain dumb.

There's no queues now? :(

Rift and GW2 (presently, anyway) do not have the situation that Bioware finds themselves in, a couple super-servers where everyone wants to go.

If Rift had this issue, their transfers in the beginning would be targetted as well. All I see when people are complaining that they can't transfer anywhere for free, all they want is to transfer to The Fatman and increase the burden on that server. Bioware is not going to allow this, no matter how much people cry for it, not for free.

If you want to move to the super-servers, I think it is in Bioware's best interest to charge for it. That way, you would have to really want to move there, and it would make all of those peoples complaints about queue times there moot because, hey, they paid to move there.

So, you think players should give EAware extra money to play the MMO portion of the "MMO"RPG they already bought the box for and subscribed to? Someone, quick, get this guy a job at EA!

It's one thing to be on a low pop server, and it's another thing entirely to be completely unable to enjoy certain aspects of a game because your server's average population is lower than a typical Counterstrike match.

The WoW comparison doesn't apply because even the "dead" servers in WoW typically have enough people to play the game's content. I play WoW on a low-pop, horde dominant server. Despite that, there still manage to be 3 alliance guilds that raid regularly. Horde has around 6 or so. Not to mention that WoW has cross-server battlegrounds, cross-server dungeons, and cross-server raiding. Your server's population in that game is no where near the limitation that it is here in TOR, where if Bill and Frank are offline that means Jim is playing by himself, because the three of them comprise the entire republic playerbase during off-peak hours.

How many screenshots are people posting of themselves being alone on their fleet? Go to the WoW boards and see how many screenshots are posted of people alone in Org or Stormwind. Good luck finding a single one.

Edited by Unruhe