FREE Character Transfers are Coming!

ktkenshinx

Man, some people really lack logical reasoning skills.

In case it isn't clear to you:

1) This thread is about discussing timeline for implentation of free server transfer.

2) Posters state that "we have to wait another few months" or "sometime in the summer" is too little too late.

3) I respond by pointing out that "another few months" or "sometime in the summer" is NOT what was stated.

4) You make the logical leap to respond with a statement that Bioware doesn't meet its planned timeline.

See the disconnect between 3 and 4, and 4 and 1?

:eek: Alright, don't get too butthurt over my opinion.

I hope your get your server transfers and everything works out for you. I for one will be moving on to D3 and saving my 17 bucks a month.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel its very tardy of them not to implement free server transfers on release or at least back in early or mid february since subs and server pop declines started ocuuring during that month, TERA will offer this service readily available at launch while SWTOR with all its budget and pushing six months since launch date has yet to offer this service.

Has there been any mention of whether or not we will be able to move all our characters for free? It would be pretty crappy of them to introduce a character xfer instead of a legacy xfer.

Also, the free "move off low pop" scares me...meaning all us medium pop people will be screwed...

I'd gladly pay 1 fee if i'm on medium but pay to move all my level 50's would be crap.

He implies that, essentially, in order to ensure you get to go to whatever higher populated server you wish to go to, the possibility exists you'll actually have to PAY for it. Yeah, like I'm going to ask my poor suffering remaining guildmates to PAY to go to an active server. Right, that's going to work real well...

Pretty huge assumptions there on your part. That ignore a lot of what was said.

If you are on a very low pop server it sounded pretty strait up that you would get free transfers.

How about because they can't fix it now. They're incapable of doing so.

Well, what you are asking is not possible. It leaves you with two options: wait patiently, or cancel your subscription. Best make your choice.

If you think there is no possible way for bioware to migrate character information from one server to another then you are just not very well informed on how these things work.

At this rate GW2 really will be the nail in the coffin. These low pop servers will be totally empty once it releases.

Just so some of you "bioware cant fix it unsub or wait" bsers understand the problem. Yesterday I was at fleet with my friend we were the only 2 people at fleet, this needed fixing a month ago not in 2 months time.

Edited by RTCBrad

Knowing their publisher they'll probably only merge very low population servers and charge money for transfers to actual high population servers. So a server like mine will have 40 people on fleet at prime time instead of 20 and will not have anything close to 200 like high populated servers have.

What should have happened 2 months ago for free will happen about 4 months late and they'll probably charge for it.

If you think there is no possible way for bioware to migrate character information from one server to another then you are just not very well informed on how these things work.

At this rate GW2 really will be the nail in the coffin. These low pop servers will be totally empty once it releases.

Just so some of you "bioware cant fix it unsub or wait" bsers understand the problem. Yesterday I was at fleet with my friend we were the only 2 people at fleet, this needed fixing a month ago not in 2 months time.

Agree. Until bioware will fix server migration half of the players im sure will move to GW. At my guild ppl already told me month ago but im surprised even more ppl said going to play D3. That just happen after patch 1.2 many didnt like some changes...

Guys read carefuly those news

Exclusive: I’ve confirmed from multiple sources within Electronic Arts that the company is planning to layoff 500-1,000 people as soon as this week. As of March 31 public numbers, that represents between 5%-11% of total company employees. The layoffs were originally set for last Monday (4/9), but they were pushed back and we’ve confirmed they’re coming very soon.

After a brief resurgence, EA has had a rough year with Star Wars not matching lofty internal expectations, an expensive Popcap acquisition, a CFO departure, and being recently named the worst company in America.

While it looked like a possible banner year, over stretching on several fronts led to a disappointing fiscal year. Estimates put Battlefield 3 sales around 13MM units, the company ‘chased’ the launch dumping an estimated $30MM into incremental marketing after the game launched according to one source within EA. The same thing was done for Star Wars to extend its run and try to improve sales. Star Wars sell through is estimated to now be around 3MM units, but the subscriptions which are needed for an MMO to payoff are already declining.

It’s also another big blow to EA CEO John Riccitiello who this month marked his fifth year since returning to EA. I was working at EA and sat in the all-hands meeting to mark his return in 2007. While the quality of EA games has most definitely improved, the costs to produce these games and Riccitiello’s acquisition warpath have hurt.

Not to mention a stock price that has moved from $61 to where it sits now at $16, it’s safe to say that Riccitiello’s time is once again running out. On top of all this, Zynga has gutted EA’s management listing 5 of the top 11 executives as former EA senior managers including the COO, CMO, CCO (Creative), CPO (People), and the EVP of Corp Dev. Glassdoor.com puts his internal CEO rating at 53%, no where some Silicon Valley companies like Google (92%) or Yelp (89%) while closer to other CEOs in his category (Marc Pincus 54%, Bobby Kotick 36%).

Guys read carefuly those news

Exclusive: I’ve confirmed from multiple sources within Electronic Arts that the company is planning to layoff 500-1,000 people as soon as this week. As of March 31 public numbers, that represents between 5%-11% of total company employees. The layoffs were originally set for last Monday (4/9), but they were pushed back and we’ve confirmed they’re coming very soon.

After a brief resurgence, EA has had a rough year with Star Wars not matching lofty internal expectations, an expensive Popcap acquisition, a CFO departure, and being recently named the worst company in America.

While it looked like a possible banner year, over stretching on several fronts led to a disappointing fiscal year. Estimates put Battlefield 3 sales around 13MM units, the company ‘chased’ the launch dumping an estimated $30MM into incremental marketing after the game launched according to one source within EA. The same thing was done for Star Wars to extend its run and try to improve sales. Star Wars sell through is estimated to now be around 3MM units, but the subscriptions which are needed for an MMO to payoff are already declining.

It’s also another big blow to EA CEO John Riccitiello who this month marked his fifth year since returning to EA. I was working at EA and sat in the all-hands meeting to mark his return in 2007. While the quality of EA games has most definitely improved, the costs to produce these games and Riccitiello’s acquisition warpath have hurt.

Not to mention a stock price that has moved from $61 to where it sits now at $16, it’s safe to say that Riccitiello’s time is once again running out. On top of all this, Zynga has gutted EA’s management listing 5 of the top 11 executives as former EA senior managers including the COO, CMO, CCO (Creative), CPO (People), and the EVP of Corp Dev. Glassdoor.com puts his internal CEO rating at 53%, no where some Silicon Valley companies like Google (92%) or Yelp (89%) while closer to other CEOs in his category (Marc Pincus 54%, Bobby Kotick 36%).

awesome fear mongering...but i can read too...

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/16/ea-denies-report-of-incoming-mass-layoffs/

Update: EA corporate communications sent the following statement to Joystiq: "EA is growing and looking to hire hundreds of people for our digital, console, mobile and social games. Like all game companies, we make occasional adjustments to resize teams as projects are completed and new priorities are established. Overall, we expect that headcount will be up at the end of this year."

sure sounds like they plan on laying people off dude....

thats how you get more employees right???

awesome fear mongering...but i can read too...

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/16/ea-denies-report-of-incoming-mass-layoffs/

Update: EA corporate communications sent the following statement to Joystiq: "EA is growing and looking to hire hundreds of people for our digital, console, mobile and social games. Like all game companies, we make occasional adjustments to resize teams as projects are completed and new priorities are established. Overall, we expect that headcount will be up at the end of this year."

sure sounds like they plan on laying people off dude....

thats how you get more employees right???

I don't trust media unless I find proof.

Give us proof.

I don't trust media unless I find proof.

Give us proof.

thats a link from an article.. thats about all the proof you are going to get on the internet sadly.. I dont work for bioware.. wish i did. want to.. but thats about it.. sources say layoffs.. others say they are seasonal drop offs..

they are planning on rehiring by the end of the year.

if you think about it..t hey dont need th same level of development staff after a game has been released on constant staffing, it costs them a fortune it would be easier to let them go and freelance them in when needed, and ea bioware has completed a few major game titles this last year which could due to have some people cut from the payroll..

its logical if you take the hate for bioware and ea out of the equation

From the 4/27/2012 Q&A:

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-april-27th-2012

And again...

Big news for the SWTOR community, especially those on low population (and super high population) servers. I am personally very pleased that BW is making this first wave of transfers free; good costumer service move on their part.

No exact ETA on the date of these transfers, but I imagine that "Early summer" means sometime in June.

If there is any ppl playing who needs one, my guess is they r mostly gone like myself. Too little too late.

At this rate GW2 really will be the nail in the coffin.

I'm sorry did I miss the Release Date announcement for GW2? For all you know it will not even be released this year.

And I will bet that transfers will be here long before GW2 gets here.

If there is any ppl playing who needs one, my guess is they r mostly gone like myself. Too little too late.

But you are not gone, you are still here posting!

I can't wait till May 1st, and May 15th. When a bunch of the "quitters" leave these boards to go wreak havoc on the TERA, and Diablo 3 boards.

I can't wait till May 1st, and May 15th. When a bunch of the "quitters" leave these boards to go wreak havoc on the TERA, and Diablo 3 boards.

Bunch? Im guessing that would be tens of thousands of players maybe even much more, especialy for D3.

The funny part is that the dumbledore's think the free transfers will save the light servers...

Then the fun starts! Its a "fixed" server they are going to offer you, not one of your choosing (unless you pay (paying for their mistake, I may add! (Now the dumbledore cryout of "It was you that picked the server! Yeah, but it was them that added to many & wreaked the game!))).

THEN, we get stage 2 of the fun... Transferring characters with the same name to the same server with that name taken, history shows that you (the moving person) will loose your name and have to re-choose OR they will add server tags like DAoC had and you end up with a <TLS> (The Light Saber - was only an example btw! Honest!) tagged to you like a gimp.

Have fun! :cool: