The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Best and Worst Things About Being a Powertech

TheOpf

I saw this on the Vanguard Forums and thought we definitely need it here. No one loves the Powertech more than fellow Powertech players. So I will start us off, and you guys just chime in.

Best

Grapple - Hands down my favorite skill in the game. Everyone hates being grappled and it just looks so much cooler than force grip. It's the king of huttball and stopping caps. I love to scream "GET OVER HERE!" or "WHO'S YOUR DADDY!" I wish they allowed Macro's.

We have two viable dps trees that play completely different from each other. No other class has such diversity in play style as our three trees. Plus I think we have more Hybrids than any other class.

DFA = Sweetest looking AoE in the game

WE GOT A FREAKING FLAMETHROWER!! Poor Vanguards shooting electricity or mercs bending over and farting at people. We get a flamethrower.

The sound effect of Retractable Blade.

There are so few PT's out there I feel special.

We don't have to wear a skirt.

Mako and Blizz - Do I really need to say more?

WORST

Escape: No ability to escape or get away from anyone. Every fight is a fight to the death. I really hate when I get jumped at 40 percent health and there is nothing I can do but try to do as much damage before I die.

Lack of CC - We have Carbonize and Electro Dart. We have no root ability, though PFT is about as close as you can get to one. It is quite frustrating fighting a geared Operative/Smuggler with their CD's up.

Horrible PvP Looks: Seriously we have some of the ugliest armor out there. Though Sorcs do look pretty horrible. The New War Hero isn't bad, but the sunny day top hat is dog ugly.

When they realize you aren't a tank in a WZ, and you get gang jumped by the Marauders and Jugs who don't want you to touch their healers.

Edited by TheOpf

so few powertechs? my server is crawling with them (Belgoth's Beacon)

plus, look at the post count for PTs over Mercs, 17k posts in the PT forum and 14k posts in the Merc forum, it means PTs are more popular.

the thread count reflects this too.

Edited by Ricktur

plus, look at the post count for PTs over Mercs, 17k posts in the PT forum and 14k posts in the Merc forum, it means PTs are more popular.

Actually there are a lot more Mercs than PTs. They may not be as active these day because they are no longer a FOTM.

I played on 2 different servers, and in WZ it is rare to see 2 PTs on the same team. Actually I think there are more Vanguards than there are PTs.

im going off of numbers, and simply put, the PT is by far the most talked about on these forums. im not making the numbers up, go see for yourself. more talk about a class, the more popular they are. i was surprised too but its the truth man.

and its different from server to server, on my server as i stated above, PTs are far more common.

I dont see the coloration of forum posts/threads and number of players of a certain AC. It just means we're more active than others on our forum. We have almost as much posts as Inquisitors, yet I know for a fact that for every BH there are 5 Inq. in the game. And now with Marauders/Sent being FOTM, there are hordes of them.

I was the 1st PT on my server to hit 50. It was a VERY long time before I ever saw another one in a warzone. Even now, there aren't that many top end PT PvPers. I do see more and more being leveled up, but Mercs are by far more popular, at least where I come from.

My favorite things?

1. We have a pull AND a leap, which is something no other tank class has.

2. Best mitigation in the game.

3. Some very cool animations: Grapple, Carbonize, Flamethrower.

Worst?

1. Only 1 defensive ability, and it's not that great.

2. Vent Heat needs to have a much lower CD.

3. Would like to have a root or a longer stun.

I was the 1st PT on my server to hit 50. It was a VERY long time before I ever saw another one in a warzone. Even now, there aren't that many top end PT PvPers. I do see more and more being leveled up, but Mercs are by far more popular, at least where I come from.

Same here, lots of Mercs but very few PTs, at the moment anyway.

Favs?

1. Flamethrower, don't use it on my PT but very cool. Also love making ppl jump when my Sage starts burning mobs down.

2. DFA, love the animation.

3. Blizz. Hands down the most awesome companion in the game, especially after the Social II Dance with companion ability. Watching Blizz boogie rocks.

4. My absolute favorite: Shoruyken!

I love my PT with a passion. Look forward to playing it every day.

Best

1) Grapple! Grappling people into the flames, acid and especially the jet streams in Hut ball is worth rolling this class alone. Grapple+electodart = Gotcha' *****

2)The ability to really be a game changing member of a team. A Powertech with a decent healer can cause a lot of havoc and literally change the outcome of a game. You dont need an escape if you dont die!

3)Players reactions when they see a Powertech running towards them. You can see the perpetual fear on their little pixilated faces.

Theres soo soo many more. But ill let you guys fill in the rest.

Worst

1)Your the gorilla in the room, theres no sneaking about. A Powertech stands out like a boil on your girlfriends ***

2)Lack of CC. Would be great to just have 1 more universal snare or root for all specs.

3)Heat management for Pyro, but thats all in the learning curve. Its totally manageable, just need to keep a constant eye on it

Edited by FaceShindu

All-time worst:

Tionese/Columni/Rakata helmets

*** do i get a rain gutter all over my head?!

looks kinda like aliens from alien vs predaor. Maybe Im off on the reference but the head thing does look familiar somewhow. Its actually alot better design tha some of the stuff for other classes. war hero gear looks pretty good. the bug looking bm helmet looked like garbage ( *** were you thinking bioware) but the reskinned elim version doesnt look too bad. Its alot better than war hero inquisator chest which looks like king neptune, all you are missing is a trident.

looks kinda like aliens from alien vs predaor. Maybe Im off on the reference but the head thing does look familiar somewhow. Its actually alot better design tha some of the stuff for other classes. war hero gear looks pretty good. the bug looking bm helmet looked like garbage ( *** were you thinking bioware) but the reskinned elim version doesnt look too bad. Its alot better than war hero inquisator chest which looks like king neptune, all you are missing is a trident.

The aliens from independence day.

Whatevs tho, never had helm showing and now i have my rakata armor/mods in an augmented malgus-style facemask.

All-time worst:

Tionese/Columni/Rakata helmets

*** do i get a rain gutter all over my head?!

I hated them so much, I said screw it, cost myself the set bonus, pulled the mods, and set them into the sweet looking Taris Gold and Red Gear.

I hate, detest, the BM gear head, and wish the set bonus would transfer if I could pull the mods.

If you look at the numbers released a few months ago. mercs/Commandos are about 60-70 percent of the total Bounty Hunter/Trooper thread. If you take a look back one of the main reasons we have more posts now is due to the fact that dardack, agooz, myself, and exphyrl are forum madmen. I think all together we have quadrupled the amount of previous posts on this forum. Agooz has 3-4 threads he keeps going, I have 2-3, Dardack has 2, Exphyrl drops some random knowledge. Not to mention Mapex and a few others.

When I first got here most of the posts were of little value and had to do with gear, shield tech, how much AP stank, and videos of people playing. The four of us with Mapex started Theorycrafting, and we jumped into serious discussions in the 3 days as a AP which went 20 plus pages. In the end, when you add serious discussions and open minded dialogue where value of content is prized, you will add a lot of posts.

In my opinion outside of myself there are no real tools in the BH forums. Also there are currently no good forum websites or threads outside of these forums and taugrim.com.

On that note, Agooz or Mapex need to get on the writing of a Pyro Guide. We also need a dedicated Shield Tech Guide.

Best

Jet Charge

Killer Rail Shot

We just look awesome with our attacks

Worst

Can't JC or Grapple friendlies

End game Helmets and Chestpieces (Yeah I hate them all and I cry every day that I can only yank the mods off one of them until the day I get campaign gear)

No threat dump

Best

Jet Charge and Grapple in Hutball

Awesome burst as Pyro

'Meh' defensive cooldown compared with other classes.

Worst

The opponents often gang up on me

I don't get healed/guarded enough

Very low mobility in a Pyro spec

In my opinion the best best for powertech and vanguards is the fact that we aren't melee restricted. Yeah, we may not be able to stand back and nuke but there are significant tools for both control and threat/defense that we execute from well out of melee reach, so you don't have to skitter around to deal with a spread out pack of enemies. Grappling and jet charging are accessories to this overall class strength. Once you get into the warzone dynamics its so obvious how strong the class type is with this advantage.

Given this I agree with something that came up a while back--- grapple should be the Shield skill and jet charge should be standard issue powertech. This would fit the class design of the assassin who has a 2 second super-fast sprint and can spec through darkness to get a pull. One of the most significant worsts is the lack of speed or another way to get up close when you need to. The fact that we're hybrid melee ranged and really need to get into that range at times makes it unacceptable to have no tools besides for a single target brought to us.

[

Worst

These two actually made me laugh. In huts all when I run out there sometimes I get passed around like hot potato with kb's and that Marauder I killed. I finally solo killed a good Marauder on my server, and he was steaming. I spent the rest of the huttball, pulling him into fires and attempting to use my stuns only on him.

The other one is a constant source of frustration. In FPs and Ops, our tanks are always dropping Guard on the ranged and or the assassin. I want to scream dude stop guarding the guy who isn't pulling threat. The healing one is in pvp, and I talked with a healer about this. I think it's two fold they think you are a tank and wait too long or there are just too many people on you. Think about it. When you see a VGA or Pyro on someone, you either pull him off or target him first. Because he will die faster than the Marauder and do more damage than the jugg or assassin.

Kill order on ball carrier is always PT, Sorcerer, sniper or op, marauder, juggernaught, Mercenary, and sin. You always stun the Mara, interrupt the merc, and peel the assassin, but the pt, sorc, and sniper are killing machines if not stopped.

In my opinion the best best for powertech and vanguards is the fact that we aren't melee restricted. Yeah, we may not be able to stand back and nuke but there are significant tools for both control and threat/defense that we execute from well out of melee reach, so you don't have to skitter around to deal with a spread out pack of enemies. Grappling and jet charging are accessories to this overall class strength. Once you get into the warzone dynamics its so obvious how strong the class type is with this advantage.

Given this I agree with something that came up a while back--- grapple should be the Shield skill and jet charge should be standard issue powertech. This would fit the class design of the assassin who has a 2 second super-fast sprint and can spec through darkness to get a pull. One of the most significant worsts is the lack of speed or another way to get up close when you need to. The fact that we're hybrid melee ranged and really need to get into that range at times makes it unacceptable to have no tools besides for a single target brought to us.

I understand your point, but don't take me grapple. I prefer grapple in every WZ. I like pulling that healer or spec too me instead of having to jump into the fray.

Once we get chat bubbles I demand some kind of macro ability so that I yell "Get over here!" everytime I use my grapple. I may also have to use a Mortal Kombat soundboard over Vent so everyone can hear it too :p

I personally want to be able to macro my "Boom!" in general every time I set someone up to die by Thermal Detonator. There are few things more satisfying than planting TD, typing /s Boom!, then watching someone explode. It shouldn't be as fun as it is, but what can I say... simple pleasures.

I personally want to be able to macro my "Boom!" in general every time I set someone up to die by Thermal Detonator. There are few things more satisfying than planting TD, typing /s Boom!, then watching someone explode. It shouldn't be as fun as it is, but what can I say... simple pleasures.

I miss the "/e Pwned You" macro :(

Best

Jet Charge and Grapple in Hutball

Awesome burst as Pyro

'Meh' defensive cooldown compared with other classes.

Worst

this pretty much

Same here, lots of Mercs but very few PTs, at the moment anyway.

Favs?

1. Flamethrower, don't use it on my PT but very cool. Also love making ppl jump when my Sage starts burning mobs down.

2. DFA, love the animation.

3. Blizz. Hands down the most awesome companion in the game, especially after the Social II Dance with companion ability. Watching Blizz boogie rocks.

4. My absolute favorite: Shoruyken!

Personally love using legacy Force Storm from my sin. Yet have made people go slack jawed when I bust out my flamethrower and then force storm on my Marauder.

Loved DFA before the nerf but now its kinda meh.

My most favorite ability has to be Carbonize. Have made so many enemies in huttball by doing that to let our carrier score that it's not even funny.

Least favorite. Missile blast. Talk about a waste of an ability. Too much heat for too little bang.