Is Trooper story really THAT boring? If so should i be Smuggler or Councilar?

XCantaloupeX

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty lame , I expected more to be honest . Trooper story is probably lame for most , because they're expecting a 'Military Story' , sadly , you won't see much of a 'Military Story' . Act 1 is average , but Act 2 / 3 doesn't make any sense (Don't wanna Spoil anything ....) from a 'Military PoV' , lol .

Cons story is pretty 'ok' actually , after seeing plenty of 'hate' in 90% of the Threads , I thought I'll try it out and I can tell you this , it's really good . Got it's ups and downs , but overall it's an interesting Story , good plot , good Companions , average 'Bad Guys' ..

Smuggler has plenty of Humor/Flirts/Romance and what not more . Act 1 is pretty awesome , Act 2 is 'ok' , but again , it doesn't appeal to me , because a Smuggler doesn't do such things .... Act 3 , is really good , actually one of the Best Acts in SWTOR (specially on the Rep side) . Oh , and Smuggler has THE BEST LINES IN SWTOR !

If you're mainly looking for a good story , then go Smuggler .

P.S Playing the JK Story is a must , for every 'Star Wars' lover .

Edited by ahzecklawd

Personally, I liked the Trooper story. I felt the Act I plot was far too short, and Act II dragged a bit, but Act III wasn't that bad. Had I been in charge, I would have kept Act I's premise through the entire class story, while maintaining a lot of what happened in Acts II and III; would've made for a much more gratifying ending, I think.

Consular story was surprisingly solid all around. Felt very much the "Jedi" story of the game, far more than the Knight's - that story is pure Star Wars and traditional hero tale, but doesn't really mesh with the "peaceful protector" nature of the Order. The Consular, of what class stories I've played so far, also has some of the more interesting, galaxy-altering choices to make through the story and does seem to do far more for the Republic's war effort than the other three combined.

Smuggler, to me, was kind of a let down. The dialogue is good, with great one-liners and a whole lot of snark, but I failed to feel "connected" to the Republic. Couple of interesting plot twists, though, in Act III, but not really enough to redeem it in my eyes.

I've played a Trooper till Taris, and found the story to be surprisingly engaging with the shades of gray and tough choices. You have to fight for what you believe in. I am playing a Commando, and the big cannon is half the fun. But BH animations are more fun (Death from the Above, WOOT!)

Consular is my favorite story, but I am a female, so the spectacular male cast (Best in the Game!!!) is 90% of it, with 9% is that it is what I normally play (priest-warrior) in every game. Her voice is a let-down though, and I hear a male is even worse (but didn't try). Healing spec is booooring though. You do very little but heal if you play with a companion + 2-3 spells in between. (Well, I do, and I am no Guru). Balanced is neither here nor there. Animations on Telekin are waaaay better on the Inquisitor. So, if I play a male, I would play a Shadow, but chances are, I will stick with a female (since the male romance is just ewwwww)

Smuggler is my favorite class. I play Dirty Fighting and totally enjoy throwing my Gunslinger in the thick of things and kicking and whipping with the back of the blaster, and then unloading a clip into their ugly faces :) The animations are yay-awesome. Cast is good (if Tuno was a Nautolan, it would have beat the Con). A female smuggler has a great voice, and one decent out-of party romance (haven' seen anything as fun on other characters!) The male Smuggler sounds like my tops favorite companion so... YUM, copied his appearance, and now I can have a whole story about him!!! The story is fun, you end up falling into all kinds of crazy situations, and looking sheepish, and the music is great.

All and all, if you haven't played as a Smuggler, Smuggler!!! Then again, there is a calmer charm in a trooper, but not so much style and panache.

Edited by DomiSotto

While Trooper is not my favourite story I liked chapter 1 the most and compared to the other classes I think the Trooper class has more quests where you have to make hard decisions. Maybe others don't think so but if you try to play good or light side you will find that those decisions does not always fit to your orders that you get or does not feel always as good even if you get light side points. So I think there are some interesting class quests where I had to really take my time to think about it, but for me chapter 2 and 3 wasn't as much fun as chapter 1 and my char didn't feel in the end heroic or special compared to other classes.

Jedi Knight story is really good and my favourite of the republic classes. This is a story where you can feel heroic and epic throughout the chapters (not only in the end) and it has some interesting twists and sad and funny moments. I know you already played the mirror class but the Jedi Knight story is really awesome and worth a try I think. Maybe select the other advanced class to have a different game play experience?

Concerning the smuggler story I again liked the first chapter most, despite having an annoying companion that others do love, so this is really personal taste. It is a very funny story but for me I have the feeling that the smuggler is the one that survives more through incredible luck and less knowledge or skills. And compared to other chars it feels more like being an idiot who is used by others but maybe this is only because I was playing light side.

I do like my consular (sage) but I was really disappointed with the companions you get as a consular. There was only one I really liked and one I despise and the others are ok but I am not so fond of them. Concerning the story I think the first and third chapter were the most interesting. I only played light side and from what I hear dark side does not really fit with the story as it has no real consequences. I think it depends on what someone likes - the second and third chapter is more abount diplomacy and the first more mystic.

Don't forget the other classes on the imp side - agent, bounty hunter and inquisitor are fun too. I have played all class storys and every story and character has something interesting.

Councilar- Probably gonna heal here too because being a shadow doesnt really seem to be my thing and it seems like fun healing.

- Once again how is story?

- does leveling as a councilar healer feel boring?

- How does it compare to Trooper story/gameplay and Smuggler story/gameplay

I've only played the consular, no trooper or smuggler yet, so I'll only discuss my take on the Consular class.

1.) I love the story. Act 1, depending on who you ask, is somewhere between weak and boring, or fast-paced, urgent, and great. I, personally, found it to be a combination of the two, in that you really felt like a padawan trying to do the right thing, but overall it WAS a bit weak. It picks up with Act 2, though. The storyline in Act 2 and 3 feels more like a classic Jedi. Not so much thrilling heroics, but more behind the scenes diplomacy and, when diplomacy fails, you bust out the lightsaber. Just like in the movies! If you want grandstanding and heroics of epic proportion, though, it's probably not the class for you.

The story also has tons of continuity errors. I've only played Dark side through act 1 and into act 2. The only advice I have on playing a dark side or even neutral Consular is don't. Just don't. Literally none of your dark side choices are actually properly acknowledged in the class story, and there are grievous oversights like certain NPCs you killed nonetheless being alive later on. Pure lightside can be equally ridiculous, at least with the planet missions and side missions, though the class story itself is quite good as a completely light side consular.

All in all, it feels unfinished, and lacks polish, but overall I did find it enjoyable enough to play 3 times.

2.) Leveling as a healer can be boring and tedious, yes. Your best companion is going to be Qyzen, maybe Tharan. My current sage is specced telekinetics, but thanks to the legacy field respec I can easily switch to heals for particularly tough fights or flashpoints. If you enjoy healing in general, you'll probably like sage healing. If you find healing boring, sage/sorcerer is probably the most boring of them all.

3.) I've only played the smuggler/agent class through their respective starting planets so my gameplay experience with them is extremely limited. From what I've seen so far, though, I prefer the consular mechanics--shadow OR sage--over smuggler's mechanics. I haven't leveled a trooper, but I do have a 55 bounty hunter, which obviously mirrors the trooper class in terms of mechanics. I've got to say I prefer my BH's gameplay mechanics over my sage, but I still find my sage enjoyable.

I've played a Smuggler while a friend of mine has played a Trooper alongside me for every single class story cut scene (except those on our ships) from level 1-45, and the Trooper story was consistently the better one on each planet.

I believe the Smuggler has the best ship reveal, but that's the only thing that really stands out. Case in point, Light and Dark Side choices. Smuggler Light Side is Han Solo coming back to help Luke destroy the Death Star. Smuggler Dark Side is just a faster version of Greedo, slimy. These are pretty cut and dry, and get boring. Trooper Light Side is a good soldier defying his superiors and colleagues while they squash rights and freedoms. Trooper Dark Side is a downright crusade against traitors. Much more dynamic than the smuggler.

I enjoy the Consular a lot, but I'm a huge Jedi story fan, so I'm biased.

• 1 month later...

Gotta say - I really liked the Trooper storyline.

You can play it as a lightside Dudley-do-Right Guardian of the Republic type thing, or you can be an edgy, unpredictable paramilitary ****** a la Rambo or the A team. There are certain members of you team who will of course appreciate one or the other either dialog option more.

I like it as much as Sith Sorceror. YMMV.

Gotta say - I really liked the Trooper storyline.

You can play it as a lightside Dudley-do-Right Guardian of the Republic type thing, or you can be an edgy, unpredictable paramilitary ****** a la Rambo or the A team. There are certain members of you team who will of course appreciate one or the other either dialog option more.

I like it as much as Sith Sorceror. YMMV.

did you just call the only tv show with less deadly fire arms than the gi joe cartoon edgy?

Well the problem with the trooper is that from all the classes it has been one of the least invested on.

Not many companion dialouge in class missions. Not much connection between class missions on planets and the questgiver is so boring. It has potential but....sigh.

I don't consider the smuggler story very good compared to the Jedi Knight or Sith Warrior.

But the smuggler has some of the best witty one liner dialog options in the game.

The fight against the chapter 1 Boss with a female smuggler is just epic.

Also, I love the "WHERE IS MY SHIP?!?" which you could repeat at most Story dialogs.

I enjoyed the Trooper story. A very heroic and patriotic feel that I really liked. Also the companions were quite interesting and made the journey that much more fun.

I'm still working on the Consular and the only thing I can complain about it is that it has this draggy feel through the whole thing. It didn't have this sense of urgency like a lot of the other stories honestly.

Haven't done Smuggler beyond Taris so I can't comment on that.

I dislike the Smuggler Story. You're the chump the entire time.

Consular has been amazing. I played a Shadow and have loved it.

Trooper, so far, is definitely in my top 4 stories. It shows what is going on inside the Republic itself, and then has you racing to save the Republic war effort.

Sith Warrior is my favorite, Agent is second, and Inquisitor was redeemed solely by the planet Corellia.

I am enjoying Trooper storyline so far...still, the non force user classes tend to take a back seat except for Imperial Agent which is undeniably the best written story arch in the entire game.

Consular for me was tough! I had to force myself through it HOWEVER, you do get one of the most intriguing and powerful companions in the entire game. Nadia Grell is by far the most effective saber staff carrying companion in the game. Her ability "Wild Energy" alone, a huge AOE knock back that insta-kills entire mobs, makes her quite formidable.

But I digress, everyone has their own experience. I just love playing the game regardless!

My favorite story quest lines are the Trooper (for "mostly" being like the real military), Jedi Consular as a Sage (the most true Jedi like), Sith Inquisitor as a female sorceress (another part of the Dark Side you do not see in the Sith Warrior quest line), and Sith Warrior (the most Dark Side like). I am not sure about the Imperial Agent since I am still in Chapter 1 but thus far, I expected more cloak and dagger and definitely designed more around the Operative than the Sniper. Others either started off great or bad, and ended either bad or good. Personally, I feel they should add in Advance Class Story quests because I felt really out of place playing my shadow in a class path built more around the Sage than the Shadow.

I geared up Nadia and she can really lay out the hurt while my Sage heals her.

Edited by Lorica

Out of the stories I've played so far this is my feeling.

1. Played up to voss on smuggler then rerolled. Love the 1 liners, and the fact you can have a girl at every port style and be a man whore. Which is hiarious. Gameplay, yeah glass cannon and not getting a healer till Hoth unless you use the silly ship droid is painful for a gunslinger. Really wish Risha could of been a healer. Chapter 2 was meh because you become a republic yes man, and in the backround build up your empire but you're an errand boy.

2. Trooper. Needed way more squad command time. Just a boring story and you don't feel most times like the Elite trooper command, just a clean up boy.

3. Imperial Agent. Probably the best story from start to finish. Choices you make at the beginning have reaching consequences later on. And you have very distinct outcomes.

4. Jedi Knight. So bland. A retread of basically Luke Skywalker or KOTOR. Become strong, face the biggest and baddest and defeat it. Boring as hell. Plus the characters were meh.

5. Sith Inquisitor. Good decent story. Rags to council feel was pretty good, but they could of done something than chasing force ghosts.

I like the trooper class, but the story was horrible. Plus Jorgan. Guy lead a SNIPER SQUAD and uses a cannon instead of a sniper rifle?! ***?!

Main is a Vanguard and I put him on the shelf for a while because the Trooper story is boring and idiotic, in almost equal parts. Apparently, Havoc Squad is the only competent group of soldiers in the entire Republic military. I play my Trooper as a snarky ******** who always does the 'light' thing in the end. The sheer idiocy at the top of the chain of command is mind boggling. Now, I know that not all COs are bursting with operational talent (I'm ex-Navy, I've seen some dumb COs) but Garza is...wow! if Norman Schwarzkopf was as stupid and clueless as she is, we would've wound up surrendering to the Iraqis at the end of the Gulf War. I'm content to let the people in the clean, starched and pressed uniforms play with their army men on the tabletop board while my crew actually gets **** done.

I don't like the Smuggler story (up to Chapter 2) because from the very beginning, you're a chump. You let someone steal your ship and then you chase him to get your ship back and then you let him hoodwink you again

(seriously? He stowed away on your ship without your knowledge? How stupid and lax are you?)

When you finally corner him, the fight is so anti-climactic, they could've just skipped it and had someone like Rogun kill him offscreen. I think I went through my rotation twice before I heard Corso ("That's right, I got you"). Now that we're getting housing, I think he should drop his head so I can mount it in my crib and spar with it when the mood strikes me.

My highest Consular is a Sage at 17 and the whole plague thing is ehhhh. From what I've read, it's a lot of talky talky and much less action than its mirror class. And there aren't any NPCs in it as cool as Zash (but that's the case with most class stories. Besides being the rare body type 4 NPC, Garza is DULL in comparison).

I have enjoyed the trooper story (its the only one I have played to completion at the moment), the good thing for me anyway is the fact that he is not a "chosen one" type character just an average Joe who trained as their very best, the actual storyline is broken down to the following (Not too many spoilers I hope)

Chapter 1. After your starting planet you are hunting down traitors (Courscant - Alderrann)

Chapter 2. Empire designs a new super-weapon, you only have a partially completed squad so you "pick-up" the remaining members of your squad (selected by Garza) and mount a full assault on the super-weapon - Got to be the best part of any mission seeing all your squad members in combat at the same time.

Chapter 3. War is brewing, so your job is to do a few behind the scenes jobs such as retrieve a imprisoned star-fighter squad, try your hand with a bit of diplomacy by trying to get the Voss onto the side of the republic of course these jobs are not as easy as they sound before finally mounting a full assault on the Empires main General.

In terms of companions for Trooper you have the following: -

1) Jorgan - A bit of a hardass at first who lets his emotions get the better of him, but I think he mellows over time (even with a male playthrough as you romance him as female)

2) Dorne - A bit ridged to begin with and very regulations based, she will agree with any light side choices you make but any selfish choices will loose points with her, her back story is fairly interesting and can romance her as male

3) Forex - A very loyal droid to the Republic, if a bit overzealous at times worth listening to just for a a laugh.

4) Yuun - A very stange member of your squad who is kind of a "tracker" and sees signs in the strangest of things, I suppose he could be annoying to some people.

5)Vik - My least favourite companion, who received dis-honourable discharge from the republic army but who is apparently the most qualified demolitions expert in the republic, he only plays by his rules which should suit my trooper but when given the option to hit him when we first met I took it. There is no way in my option that he should be a part of the top special forces squad in the republic.

Edited by Jedi_riches