APAC character transfer: working with 'name placeholder' characters

StephenReid

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have a ticket in with regards to renaming issues. I had clicked on my Sage to rename first. And although the picture of the Sage showed it renamed my Scoundrel instead.

Im glad to have my original names but its really frustrating that they are the wrong way around.

I have now just tried to log in. I have a response by customer service. They have made it so i can rename my characters. BUT obviously both names are now taken....***!!

Now i cant use either name. But im prompted to change both.

Yea I wasn't real happy last night when my legacy name was already been used. I guess I should have created it with a toon I that had already unlocked it on the server but was waiting for the transfers. Now I am stuck with a legacy name I didn't really want.

I have had the same legacy/surname in every MMO and other game since EQ1 :(

It won't be the same

/sad panda

Despite of what everyone said here, the customer support helped me out in renaming my characters (the one I wrongly renamed).

They were helpful and did the job right.

Just give them 24 hours to respond, you'll be good (and make a clear instruction what you want to do to make their jobs easier).

PS: I'm using the Customer Support form on the website, not the in-game ticket

Unfortunately there's nothing further I can do. There will always be a risk upon deleting a character name on your destination server that it might be legitimately used by someone else.

In your case, knowing your character's name (which is shared by a well-known Expanded Universe character who has been in comics, a current TV show and even the Star Wars movies) the chances of someone looking to use that name for their character is relatively high. Given that you have already seen this name is being used by another player, I hope you can understand they had the same instinct as you in naming their character, and allow them to enjoy the game.

If you had a better transfer system that allowed us to actually keep the names that we reserved on the servers I would not have lost my main characters name. I have used her name since Star Wars Galaxies and Wow launched and have used her name in many games and MMO's over the years, having liked her name from the Star Wars Dark horse comics back in 2003.

Yes I can understand that in a "Star Wars" game the name woud be popular...I was even worried at launch that I would not be able to use it as it was a Star Wars name.

I will list a few things I have done (which of course you will ignore) to re-emphisise how hard I tried to keep her name.

1. The second early access went live I created her and alts on a few servers to make sure I had her name.

2. The second the Aussie servers went live I created her on all 3 servers in anticipation of your promised upcoming server transfer. (The servers acctually came onlive 20min early...am sure if you check she was created within minutes of them going live)

3. When the server transfer webpage was not working you asked us aussies to post our current server and the characters we wished to transfer...I posted them thinking I was helping you guys out. (Now my character names are there for all to see)

4. We are told we can only keep placeholder name characters if there are "Free slots" on our destination server...so the most you could realisticaly keep was 4 with your system. (I have 8 that I wanted transferred yeah I have been actively playing your game...so no use to me)

5. To be able to transfer at all I HAD to delete my placeholders or not transfer...what choice did I have?

As I said I understand you would be placed in a hard position if what has happened to me occurs as you know what ever you do you will upset a player. As you can see from what I have posted I was diligent in trying to keep her name..this is my main character we are talking about as well...since yesterday I feel like my dog has died.

I hope the new version of my toon keeps playing and subscribing for I believe I am done at this point...

I have grown very attached to my character something I would have thought you would understand with a game that has a legacy system which embraces a family name...my main is not the same with a different name...I don't fell like playing her anymore. The character who has my name on my server is only level 12 can only be 4 days old how attached can they be when my character is over 4 months old.

Additionally my 8th toon that was not transferred is still onThe Harbinger, I did what customer service asked and replied to their request over 36 hours ago and I have heard nothing since.

To be honest I am feeling pretty down about this whole experience...some will say it's only a name get over it...but it was important to me...she just does not feel the same anymore.

I have been a staunch supporter of this game since launch and through all the ups and downs, the many bugs several of which affect a couple of my characters with no help from Customer Support (on getting replies back from those protocol droids one has to ask do they even read what we write)

Thanks for replying to my concerns only wish there was something you could do as I fear you have lost a customer, one who did want to support your game for a long time, but I want "my" characters you know theone I created in early access...she doesnt "feel" like my character with a different name..

Edited by DarthBrundleFLY
spelling

So I just made a ticket through the website support form regarding the silly name change system which screwed me over after reading in this thread that other people have had success doing it this way over in-game tickets and while the response was very quick (which is good!) I was told they won't be able to rename my characters.

Now what, Stephen?

After reading the clarifications from Bioware on the devtracker, when I received my "transfer complete" email, I logged into the server and wrote down the autogenerated names in order from top to bottom on the screen, and next to them I wrote what names they should be. Then I deleted my placeholder characters, clicked on the top character in the list (which was the first autogenerated name) and hit play.

This is where it went wrong.

A rename dialog appeared with the first autogenerated name (the one that matched the top character in the list), so I entered the matching "correct" name, from the list I had made first.. and it renamed the second character on the list instead. Then it brought up a rename dialog again, with the same autogenerated name as the first dialog (the one for the first character in the list) and so I entered the name that should have been my second characters.

If other people are striking the same issue, then that could explain a lot.

I'm ok with how my names turned out, so I don't need it changed... but it's definitely something to look into for the devs.

So I just made a ticket through the website support form regarding the silly name change system which screwed me over after reading in this thread that other people have had success doing it this way over in-game tickets and while the response was very quick (which is good!) I was told they won't be able to rename my characters.

Now what, Stephen?

you rlucky my ticket has been in for nearly 24 hours and 0 response. iv also been posting in a thread on the servers... and am having to waaaaait after being told by online CSR NOT to play my characters till it was sorted.. so transfered and unable to play.. YAY

Customer Support helped me and reset my characters name when it was incorrectly named.

proof: http://imgur.com/VhWgo

although i had to quit and relog into the game to get the name change, but thats no biggie.

i got transferred, got 30 days free, got a sniper buff and got my name changed, thanks very much Bioware. :)

Edited by BjmOneSevenOhTwo

I had that same spot of bother with renaming characters that many people have had (getting two characters' names mixed up).

I thought the interface for renaming made this mistake way too easy, but the customer service I received made up for it. I ticketed the problem and went off to play an alt, not expecting the issue to be resolved terribly soon (if at all) but got a live agent chat in an hour or so telling me the names were now changeable.

Unfortunately this particular solution didn't help because each character had the other's name, so when I went to change one to her original name, of course the name was already in use, so I re-ticketed.

The names were swapped back at some point after I logged for the night.

I'm really impressed by the service.