The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech Tank or Go Assasain?

Joeblows

Decieded to keep playing the game so i like to get a tank also... My main is Mercenary and been playing with the idea to have a powertech also...

But having finished the bountyhunter story line and the changes from 1.2 im thinking about going asasain tank.

My main focus is raid and then 2nd PVP but should work in both.

so my question is if you had the chance would u go assasain or powertech and why.

Also when we talk pvp and ur specced as powertech tank can u keep alive long enough vs meele until u get help? (say if u get caught 1 vs 1).

to me it looks like assasain has the most "tools" when we talk pvp.

Pros cons of powertech in its current state would be nice (trying to find as much info as i can before decieding)

/Joeblows

Edited by Joeblows

Assassins tanks in dps gear are currently overpowered in pvp and will no doubt be getting nerf hammered soon, probably much harder than other classes since they escaped nerf last time.

As far as which to choose, if you're going to go FOTM go assassin. If you're a real player, pick the one you'll enjoy playing more once you hit 50 regardless of how its nerfed/buffed.

I absolutely love my PT for tanking. Very easy to use - got a few advantages (and naturally some disadvantages). However it depends how much you care about story, how you plan to lvl etc. Cause if I wanted to make a healer, I wouldn't choose Merc just cause I'd have to go through the BH story again - which although good, I'd rather do a different one.

If you want to Tank/dps in PvE, both are viable, but I prefer PT for ****** and coolness factor. If you want to "Tank" in PvP, then definitely assassin. If you want to DPS in PvP, the definitely PT :)

I think powertech's are a more versatile and less over-played class. We have a lot more ranged tricks of the trade.

I was really torn between the choice though right before the live early access and the decision was down to the wire. You get to have stealth and your own CC on the assassin so you have a little more ease hitting flashpoint stuff.

Great info guys... being a mercenary im not as fast to do story again but even with the 1.2 patch i still like my bountyhunter and being a non force user... If i was a new player i would for sure take powertech... hmmm tough choice (rather not get hit by nerfs when i finally hit 50 on tank hehe)

go assasin

stealth, resolve, immune for dmg, vanish < 60 sec vs 12 sec 25% shield 2 min cd

stealth isn't all that great for tanking. IMO the biggest advantages would be the self heals and force speed

in the end, gotta play both to decide which you enjoy more.

I have a battlemaster sin but so far I'm having more fun on my powertech

• 4 weeks later...
For the OP, I would just say assassin for no other reason than seeing a new story. PvE wise, PT tanks are beasts. They take the least spike damage and tons of cool animation. DPS PTs in PvP are the 800lb gorillas. But like others said, if you want to tank in PvP, then go assassin. Even if they get nerfed, which I am no too sure they will, I'd still give them the upperhand. If anything, I would like to see PT tanks be as effective in PvP as assassins. Edited by Agooz

If you want to play a tank in pvp, go PT.

If you want to play dps with insane (some call OP) burst, go PT.

The tanksin (only real viable spec for assassin imo) is only good played as a dps char with heals in PVP ... and in reality you are probably better off going marauder anni spec ... better dps with more consistent heals.

I would choose a class based on what you want to play not what the current strengths are in the game. The nurf bat is something that swings wildly round the universe and this months FOTM will be next months trash build.

I dropped my assassin because the slowness of play got boring for me. Powertech i found suited me alot better.

I've found that Assassins are better PvP tanks and are generally harder to kill while PT's are better PvE tanks because we focus on shielding so we take steady amounts of low damage. Most healers I've talked to prefer the steady low damage than the spiky damage Assassins receive. PT's are also pretty good at both single target and AoE tanking while AoE tanking is a strength of the Assassin but they're weaker for single target. Also, having ranged abilities as a tank is really, really nice.

I've found that Assassins are better PvP tanks and are generally harder to kill while PT's are better PvE tanks because we focus on shielding so we take steady amounts of low damage. Most healers I've talked to prefer the steady low damage than the spiky damage Assassins receive. PT's are also pretty good at both single target and AoE tanking while AoE tanking is a strength of the Assassin but they're weaker for single target. Also, having ranged abilities as a tank is really, really nice.

Sins are a bit squishier in pve but they also shield a LOT of damage. The problem is that it's tied to a move with charges and a cooldown. Not much of an issue for most boss fights though. Assassins have some awesome cooldowns to help out. Force shroud is the most underrated tanking move in the game I think. Used at the right times it becomes amazing.

Still, for both pve and pvp you should choose the class you WANT to play. All 3(6) can tank perfectly fine in PvE. I've cleared all of the content as my guild's main tank, an assassin and have never had anyone claim I was too squishy, The spike damage, which you are overestimating, is negated in ways because of assassins higher HP pools, more dodging and self healing.

In pvp tankassins are considered OP right now (mostly because they post big damage numbers that people don't put in context) and are considered the best tanks for pvp through a combination of utility and damage. BUT shield techs are still useful. They are VERY hard to kill if they are actually tanks (tank spec/gear) and are amazing for defending objectives and being secondary ball carriers. But then so are assassins. Pyrotech, if you decide to do some dps, is probably the most terrifying thing to see coming for you if you know the player is geared and a decent player.

I love both classes, but I've settled on assassin for my tank. My friend loves her PT tank though.

Edited by Mordeguy