SWTOR On GTX 680 "video inside"

BizzzIMO

Would playing the game on the highest settings destroy my card? Like I said, I have a GTX 460 but I'm afraid it will overheat.

Download MSI afterburner and raise the fan ramp speed. But to me i see no differance between mid settings and high so why bother.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would playing the game on the highest settings destroy my card? Like I said, I have a GTX 460 but I'm afraid it will overheat.

Destroy and destroy. My GTX 570M thats equal with ur GTX 460 (?) had the same options and it wasn't "destroyed".

Sure it generated more heat and less fps but....as long as your GPU doesn't go up to 90-100*C it should be fine.

Edited by Samvan

None of those fancy graphics cards will do a thing if the bottleneck in your system is your processor or ram.

People arguing over the difference between 50 and 100 frames per second are funny, particularly since after 30 fps it becomes a psychological issue and not a visual one.

I also find it funny when people bash the coding and the engine. I've been playing this game on 3 different systems. A 3 year old laptop, a top of the line PC I built just a couple months ago, and on a media box I built with a GT240 card, a couple years ago. I don't think this would be possible if the coding and engine were as horrible as some would have us believe.

a quad core 2.4 ghz processor, stock clocked, isnt going to bottleneck on the most powerful card out right now. the only time the graphics cards get bottlenecked is in a crossfire/sli setup or running at a resolution higher than 1080p.

this has been proven numerous times in gpu reviews on sites like toms hardware. you should check it out sometime.

Wow, you guys seem to know your stuff. I already dropped the refresh rate from 75 to 60, so now I may drop the resolution down from my highest settings, download that thing Blowmedown advised and crank up the fan. I'll check it out and see what happens.

By the way, what buttons do you hit to get the FPS in the lower lefthand corner?

Yes, I'm computer illiterate, lol.

wow, you guys seem to know your stuff. I already dropped the refresh rate from 75 to 60, so now i may drop the resolution down from my highest settings, download that thing blowmedown advised and crank up the fan. I'll check it out and see what happens.

By the way, what buttons do you hit to get the fps in the lower lefthand corner?

Yes, i'm computer illiterate, lol.

ctrl + shift + f

Wow, you guys seem to know your stuff. I already dropped the refresh rate from 75 to 60, so now I may drop the resolution down from my highest settings, download that thing Blowmedown advised and crank up the fan. I'll check it out and see what happens.

By the way, what buttons do you hit to get the FPS in the lower lefthand corner?

cntrl shift F

you can download HWmonitor and monitor the temperatures of everything in your rig, see fan speeds, voltages. its a handy thing to have.

If you're not seeing the FPS you expect based on your system's hardware, you should:

1. Quit the game.

2. Stop caring about FPS over 30.

3. Patiently wait for optimization patches.

What you should not do:

1. Incessantly whine on the forums.

I hoped this guide helped.

3. Patiently wait for optimization patches..

You know, instead of being a smart-*** you could have just said that.

And your choice of words "whining". I'm calling it criticism.

But hey, I don't blame you if your brain narrows every post on a forum down to "whiny".

Please make this constructive as it can get.

Thank you.

Edited by Samvan

You know, instead of being a smart-*** you could have just said that.

And your choice of words "whining". I'm calling it criticism.

But hey, I don't blame you if your brain narrows every post on a forum down to "whiny".

Please make this constructive as it can get.

Thank you.

One post in a single thread is criticism. Thirteen posts is whining.

It's called discussion, that's what forums are for.

Please, if you have facts or theories to contribute please go ahead.

If not, stop trolling.

Man if you are waiting to pull the trigger on a gtx 680, dont wait thi card is sick!!

Check this out to see what swtor looks like and how it runs on the gtx 680..

The framerate is still rather really bad, considering the GPU.

Took two screenshots of my gameplay in Voidstar.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29187962/Pictures/jpgs/gg%20%282%29.png

and

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29187962/Pictures/jpgs/gg2.png

Can someone who's a bit more technological explain to my why my graphic card is at 50% GPU load and very low clock and memory speed whilst playing SWTOR?

Yes, this happens only at SWTOR.

This is getting ridiculous. STOP WAVING AWAY YOUR PROBLEMS BIOWARE.

The performance issue isn't with limitations on the card itself, but with data access and engine performance of SWTOR. SWTOR rarely puts 100% load on a decent gaming card, because it bottlenecks at the engine and how the data is pulled....not the card.

One of the reasons for this is......

When NEW data comes into the field of view of the player the game needs to access that data. While it access this new data, located on your system, a halt command is issued to the rendering engine. This means the game actually stops rendering new frames, this is why you get 0 FPS the moment your inventory or other menu is opened. It is why you get a stutter if you spam your bag open and closed. On top of this issue we have the issue of how the data is actually accessed itself, it is done very poorly and very slowly. Because of how long data access takes the issue with frame rate is exacerbated.

I will further add that this game has a cap on frames of 111, anyone that says they are getting more is lying.

Edited by PostalTwinkie

if we keep talking about it, its in biowares best interest to fix the problem otherwise lurkers that come here checking out the forums thinking about subscribing will see our discussions of the crap performance and will not subscribe.

if we dont talk about it, why would bioware fix it?

Took two screenshots of my gameplay in Voidstar.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29187962/Pictures/jpgs/gg%20%282%29.png

and

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29187962/Pictures/jpgs/gg2.png

Can someone who's a bit more technological explain to my why my graphic card is at 50% GPU load and very low clock and memory speed whilst playing SWTOR?

Yes, this happens only at SWTOR.

This is getting ridiculous. STOP WAVING AWAY YOUR PROBLEMS BIOWARE.

I think you are having the same problem I did where the card isnt upscaling like it should. Are you using beta drivers? If so try reverting to the old 300.10 drivers. If you are using 300.10 drivers do a full clean install..

That fps isnt right for a 680 I get 90-125 fps in warzones on my 680 and the clock is around 1084, your clock is in the 800s somethings wrong there..

if we keep talking about it, its in biowares best interest to fix the problem otherwise lurkers that come here checking out the forums thinking about subscribing will see our discussions of the crap performance and will not subscribe.

if we dont talk about it, why would bioware fix it?

Because they already know that it's a priority and said they have a team specifically intent on fixing it?

Yeah Bioware, sup with that? 50 fps with GTX 680 in your directx9 game?

Good one.

Make your own game, since you are so talented.

And DX versions doesn't make itself all the difference, but how it's utilized, what effects, etc, etc....

Not to mention how complex scenes are.

From your post I can tell you cannot even write 'Hello world!' in C.

This again.

I want to see these screenshots of people running faster than 111.4 FPS since that's THE CAP. :D

I have 2 GTX 580s in SLI and they scream in any game at full/maximum settings, yes that means 111.4 FPS MAX in SWTOR.

Screenshots for all you 111.4+ FPS people. cough them up. where are they?

P.S. The game looks the EXACT same on any of the GTX 400+ series all the way up to the 680. Difference is capable FPS due to bandwidth. No real reason to upgrade unless you're not running SLI, which you should be. One video card is so 2005.

Edited by VoXPCS

Make your own game, since you are so talented.

And DX versions doesn't make itself all the difference, but how it's utilized, what effects, etc, etc....

Not to mention how complex scenes are.

From your post I can tell you cannot even write 'Hello world!' in C.

Hi sir.

I bought a car from you but it isn't working properly.

"WELL GO BUILD YOUR OWN CAR IF YOU ARE SO TALENTED".

Do you see how stupid you sound mate? Just leave it.

This again.

I want to see these screenshots of people running faster than 111.4 FPS since that's THE CAP. :D

I have 2 GTX 580s in SLI and they scream in any game at full/maximum settings, yes that means 111.4 FPS MAX in SWTOR.

Screenshots for all you 111.4+ FPS people. cough them up. where are they?

P.S. The game looks the EXACT same on any of the GTX 400+ series all the way up to the 680. Difference is capable FPS due to bandwidth. No real reason to upgrade unless you're not running SLI, which you should be. One video card is so 2005.

Ya was about to say lol I cap out at 111 FPS with GTX 470's in SLI, glad someone else has the power and can prove it. 125 FPS... wth...

You won't notice a difference between 50 FPS and 120 FPS. But whatever.

I have to stop your right there, I was one of those people that thought there is no difference between 60fps and 120fps, you wont notice it.. BOY WAS I WRONG. You do notice a difference.

Also to all the people that don't understand, if you run fraps it wont show the correct FPS.

Edited by RicoFrost