SWTOR On GTX 680 "video inside"

BizzzIMO

Also to all the people that don't understand, if you run fraps it wont show the correct FPS.

Doesn't matter, I still get too low fps for a GTX 680. IN WARZONES....yeah there's Bioware's problem.

It's the most powerful graphic card out there. Does what it does in every game.

BUT THEN WE HAVE SWTOR.

GTX 680 equal as a GTX 460 or a GTX 570M laptop card.

Pure

Bioware

Quality

Edited by Samvan

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On my 570 I get around 55fps in WZ.

Questing I am getting around 88-111FPS.

In game max setting is only 2xAA

With those settings.

[Renderer]

AntiAliasingLevel = 4

AtlasQuality = 0

Buckets = 3

D3DFullScreen = true

DynamicLightsLimit = 4

GraphicsDeviceId = 4230

Height = 1080

MeshLODQuality = 1

NativeHeight = 1080

NativeWidth = 1920

PerformanceLevelChanged = false

RefreshRate = 120

TextureAnisotropy = 16

Width = 1920

WindowX = 0

WindowY = 0

doShadows = true

doBlobShadows = true

EnableBloom = true

AllowDepthOfField = true

TextureQuality = 0

ShaderSet = 9

PlantDensity = 80

VerticalSyncState = true

FarClipScale = 1.

[Game]

MoviesFolder = ..\..\Movies

SwtorRegKey = SOFTWARE\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

Edited by RicoFrost

That would suck indeed, the game still needs some tweaks. I mean come on guys don't anyone of you remember wow with BG's. People getting crazy bad FPS but they fixed it, the same will happen. 1.2 has made the game run much smoother already.

Doesn't matter, I still get too low fps for a GTX 680. IN WARZONES....yeah there's Bioware's problem.

It's the most powerful graphic card out there. Does what it does in every game.

BUT THEN WE HAVE SWTOR.

GTX 680 equal as a GTX 460 or a GTX 570M laptop card.

Pure

Bioware

Quality

When in WZs, your CPU will be under much more load due to the calculations of scripts, abilities, physics etc. Your CPU under Dx9 shaders will not scale as well as the GPU and that's why you will never get a straight performance curve.

So while you when standing still in the world will see a good performance boost with say the 680 compared to a 470, you will see a much lower % gain when there's lots of people around because the CPU plays a big part.

Also, if you have a 120hz screen you can see a difference running more than 60fps as compared to the regular 60hz.

*edit I previously had a 5970 (dual GPU) and upgraded to a 680 (single GPU), performing a lot of tests on this. Also, it's clear that dual GPUs just doesn't work in SWTOR. In synthetic tests I got about a 25% increase in FPS and score but in SWTOR I got more or less 100% increase.

Edited by CrimsonFire

That would suck indeed, the game still needs some tweaks. I mean come on guys don't anyone of you remember wow with BG's. People getting crazy bad FPS but they fixed it, the same will happen. 1.2 has made the game run much smoother already.

But there are a few points some people like you don't understand

• Bioware complained to their own customers. Claiming its the customer's low-end computers causing this issue.
  • While dismissing and hiding their own problems, they also say that it's only 5% of the customer base having this issue.
  • If you read behind Bioware's own lines, they tell you; "Our game is working properly and as intended, go upgrade your computer if you want to play our Directx9 game."

Now why would I be complaining if Bioware instead could have just said "Yes, our engine needs more developing and it will be customized in the future. For now, please bear with us."

No, they did not. Instead of realizing their own problems they pointed their fingers toward us, the customers.

Stupid, stupid move. It's unforgiveable and unexcuseable.

Pff, like I'd sit here and write posts about my graphic card if Bioware openly acknlowedged their own issue.

Hah! That will never happen.

When in WZs, your CPU will be under much more load due to the calculations of scripts, abilities, physics etc. Your CPU under Dx9 shaders will not scale as well as the GPU and that's why you will never get a straight performance curve.

So while you when standing still in the world will see a good performance boost with say the 680 compared to a 470, you will see a much lower % gain when there's lots of people around because the CPU plays a big part.

Also, if you have a 120hz screen you can see a difference running more than 60fps as compared to the regular 60hz.

*edit I previously had a 5970 (dual GPU) and upgraded to a 680 (single GPU), performing a lot of tests on this. Also, it's clear that dual GPUs just doesn't work in SWTOR. In synthetic tests I got about a 25% increase in FPS and score but in SWTOR I got more or less 100% increase.

Just bumping due to page switch to highlight the problem/solution.

But there are a few points some people like you don't understand

• Bioware complained to their own customers. Claiming its the customer's low-end computers causing this issue.
  • While dismissing and hiding their own problems, they also say that it's only 5% of the customer base having this issue.
  • If you read behind Bioware's own lines, they tell you; "Our game is working properly and as intended, go upgrade your computer if you want to play our Directx9 game."

Now why would I be complaining if Bioware instead could have just said "Yes, our engine needs more developing and it will be customized in the future. For now, please bear with us."

No, they did not. Instead of realizing their own problems they pointed their fingers toward us, the customers.

Stupid, stupid move. It's unforgiveable and unexcuseable.

Pff, like I'd sit here and write posts about my graphic card if Bioware openly acknlowedged their own issue.

Hah! That will never happen.

Oh but I do understand, there are so many variables to computers that they simply cannot have just about every variable computer systems to test.

Some people with higher end systems had no problems some did, some of the people with highend systems didn't have Directx 9c install. Some people may not have every cleaned out their system, never updated drivers, never defraged and so on.

They are not dismissing and hiding their own problems they are trying to find it and correct it. Stop and really think about this, do you really believe that they don't care people are having problem? its in their best interest to keep you happy, keep you play to keep you paying. They are trying everything they can to try and make it run better for people its just simply doesn't happen as quickly as people want it to. Patch 1.2 did improve a lot so its clear they are stepping in the right direction.

Just because you had a top end card or system 4-5yrs ago doesn't mean it will cut it with today's games.

When playing BF3 I see a massive difference between my wife computer that's running GTX 560 to my computer that's running GTX 570. Lowend vs highend there can be a massive difference.

Also developers have to think about designing their to take advantage of the hardware that will be out at the time the game is release.

Edited by RicoFrost

People do realize that 50-60 framerate is quite fine right? Actually its better than getting 100 frames per second. Not much reason for a videocard to work harder than it should.

Your monitor's refresh rate is probably at 60 frames per second and the human eye will not notice any stuttering motion at this rate most the time. Really anything less than 30 is when things start to go bad, at least when there is a lot a movement.

Then why are Blu-Rays at 24fps? Movies like Avatar 3D are still at 24fps and they have lotsa action and look flawless. Why does someone need 120 fps?

They are not dismissing and hiding their own problems they are trying to find it and correct it. Stop and really think about this, do you really believe that they don't care people are having problem?

Then again, please explain to me why people, who have tried all Bioware's "fixurfps-guide" and have a GTX 570 or 580 for that matter, still have issues? I redirect you to the "Horrid FPS" thread. Tons of posts claimin they've tried everything and still don't get the decent amount of fps their system is supposed to offer. Everywhere else is fine, just not in SWTOR.

While the Game Director publicly announced that it's not Bioware's fault people got low-end computers and can't run their game.

As far as I know, a GTX 570 is not low-end.

Once you clarify why Bioware waved away the issues with calling the people with high rig computers, low-end users when it's not true, then I'll stop criticising this company.

Clearly Bioware have no idea what they're up against.

So much for you James Low-End Ohlen.

Edited by Samvan

Then why are Blu-Rays at 24fps? Movies like Avatar 3D are still at 24fps and they have lotsa action and look flawless. Why does someone need 120 fps?

This is due to the natural motion blur and blend with cameras that games don't have. Lots of console games uses artificial motion blur to fool the eye thinking it's smooth when it really isn't. Also, a movie you don't interact with and you usually sit farther from the screen and it all accounts for. Lastly it's locked 24 while gaming will (even slightly with Vsync) jump up and down some.

Looking at for example The Hobbit (60fps) we might be looking at a higher standard in the next few years even in cinema.

Then again, please explain to me why people, who have tried all Bioware's "fixurfps-guide" and have a GTX 570 or 580 for that matter, still have issues? I redirect you to the "Horrid FPS" thread. Tons of posts claimin they've tried everything and still don't get the decent amount of fps their system is supposed to offer. Everywhere else is fine, just not in SWTOR.

While the Game Director publicly announced that it's not Bioware's fault people got low-end computers and can't run their game.

As far as I know, a GTX 570 is not low-end.

Once you clarify why Bioware waved away the issues with calling the people with high rig computers, low-end users when it's not true, then I'll stop criticising this company.

Clearly Bioware have no idea what they're up against.

So much for you James Low-End Ohlen.

Without looking at the system I cannot answer that, I have a GTX 570 and am not getting the horrid FPS issue, there have been many people saying the same thing. Once again the variables come in to play it just cannot be answered without knowing all the variables.

If you going to saying its the engine because it runs crap on your system, then I can say well it runs well on my system so its not the engine its your system.... I'm just simply saying that not everyone is having the same problem so it can't "just" be the engine. I'm not saying the game runs flawless and that it doesn't need tweaks because every game could use more tweaks or that people are making it up the bad FPS. If anyone had the same system then it would be simple and easy but they don't.

A fresh re-install of windows and the latest drivers is always a good place to start if you have tried the fixes and nothing seems to work.

Edited by RicoFrost

GTX 680 is a new card with a new architecture. These kinds of performance surprises often happen until after a couple of updated driver releases.

Also it is the first Gen of the 600 cards it well be the one with the most bugs.

Is there something wrong with your eyes or are you just mentally handicapped?

Actually the human eye can only perceive up to 80FPS or a frequency of 80Hz and that is for people with excellent eyesight. The reason most CRTs used to refresh at 50-60Hz was because that was deemed adequate for the human eye and most electrical supply was rated at that.

Furthermore all the human eye needs for a full motion image is 24FPS. Frame rates above 60FPS are lost to most human beings. So there is no tangible (considering the limits of the human eye) difference between 50-60FPS and 5000FPS-6000FPS except the technical prowess of the machine rendering the image.

Your eyes will not be able to discern the difference. If you can, you need submit yourself for tests, you might be the next step in human evolution =)

Also it is the first Gen of the 600 cards it well be the one with the most bugs.

This could be true if I had problems in all other old, mid-old/new and new games.

However, this problem is only in SWTOR.

So no, GTX 680 works properly as it should be. SWTOR is not.

Well people forgetting that MMO's are more CPU/Ram than GPU's

Swtor client uses 4GB Ram for example.

My AMD Six Core 1090 ST with 8GB Ram and my 5770 gives me 140fps maximum,without Vertical sync.

i have only disabled bloom/shadows.

The only time i had problems was when i was using fraps on annihilation droid Hard mode 16man,while he was doing the heavy AoE and we were stacked.

Overall the game runs smoothly whatever GFX you have when you have powerfull CPU/RAM.

Edited by Nerithiel

Well people forgetting that MMO's are more CPU/Ram than GPU's

Swtor client uses 4GB Ram for example.

My AMD Six Core 1090 ST with 8GB Ram and my 5770 gives me 140fps maximum,without Vertical sync.

i have only disabled bloom/shadows.

The only time i had problems was when i was using fraps on annihilation droid Hard mode 16man,while he was doing the heavy AoE and we were stacked.

Overall the game runs smoothly whatever GFX you have when you have powerfull CPU/RAM.

My issue is warzones, warzones and that bloody open world PVP which is so broken. So unless you're gonna give me PROOF of your fps and a GPU-ID picture, don't come telling me what you have.

Provide facts like I did instead of saying things.

And you can't have 140 fps. 111 fps is max mate.

Ouch, just ouch and another fail from Bioware. I will soon upgrade my AMD cpu (2.8ghz) to i5 2500k and I am truly afraid that it won't do much of a difference because this game is just a complete enigma on my computer. I wouldn't even consider upgrading my cpu due to the simple fact that every other game runs perfectly fine, including DX: HR on directx 11, for example. Even the loading times are just catastrophic in this game, with SSD 3 I have to wait forever to load Corellia to get to the daily terminal, other planets take just as long to load as well. My GPU is gtx 560 Ti and when using GPU-Z I see that the my card has ONLY 20-30% usage in WZs and my CPU up to 70%. So, yeah, SWTOR is definitely more CPU-intensive ... that's cool and all, but the OP has a frikkin' I5 2500K and he gets 20-30 in WZs. I am truly afraid SWTOR will still run like crap after I upgrade my CPU.

I'm running the game on LOW at 20 fps in 8 man and 9-10 fps in 16 man which is simply unacceptable (buy hey, I've been playing like that ever since), especially because I'm in a progress raiding guild, healing with 10 fps is masochism par excellence). So, I don't know, some machines, some computers are just cursed, I guess, that's my only scientific explanation for this game's performance. So many people getting so many different results it's just baffling, you can't even form a pattern from this anymore.

Like the wise guy above me said.

Start using your brains people. Every other game is working perfectly with my system including the new GTX 680 but SWTOR is not.

How can you then blame me?

How can you then blame my computer?

How can you then blame NVIDIA's new "architecture"?

Use your common senses.

You need to face the facts that only SWTOR faces these problems. None other game gives me as poor performance as SWTOR does.

Face the facts, SWTOR is ruined and Bioware are waving away their issues.