Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

I really don't understand why this feature was overlooked. I usually defend this game but BW does deserve all the criticisms in the world for it's oversights. I will take a different approach to these forums until basic features like these are added to the game; trolls do your thing.

Btw also put right click in guild tab to wisper someone.

This game missing sooooo many simple things. Things without them may people think about quiting this game.

Oh, I have a huge laundry list about their lacking UI ... but this thread is only about chat bubbles.

Edited by Frigidman

Greetings, Bioware developers working on Star Wars: The Old Republic!

We really, really need a client-side option to enable chat bubbles for /say and possibly /yell and /emote chat to appear above character's heads and display the text that they type into those chat channels.

Socializing, roleplaying and even multiplayer combat, both PVE and PVP with other players is incredibly tedious without them.

Many people prefer to have their eyes on the action, which means they miss the chat around them when they focus on the action. Some choose to focus on the chat and miss the action entirely - forget to heal their mates, etc..

That's why we need an option to turn on chat bubbles (speech bubbles). Make it an optional toggle on/off option so every user can decide for themselves if they want chat bubbles to show on their client or not.

There are some visually impaired people that would thank you for chat bubbles as well.

Also, if there are indeed performance issues with the speech bubbles still (reportedly, that's why Bioware removed them during beta), a toggle option will give the users a chance to either sacrifice performance for playability and turn the chat bubbles on or turn them off and gain some performance.

Everybody wins! So please, developers, I beg you dearly to add chat bubbles already, they are an essential part of MMOs for many players. Thank you very much!

PS.: While at it, please add some speaking animations when saying something in chat to complement chat bubbles as well (there is a nice animation bount to the /talk emote already, perhaps you wish to use that one).

/signed

+5 rating

Dear god yes. How many of these threads do we need before we get some kind of response from the devs?

It may sound strange, but I do want to communicate with other players. I do want to pick up on the fact that the guy standing one meter in front of me is talking to me. I do want to be able to not have to choose between paying attention to the action during a flashpoint and paying attention to the stupidly placed chat window a good foot away from the center of the screen.

And may I say; it seems to me that a lot of the nay-sayers are under the impression that chat bubbles means actual solid bubbles and nothing else. You know what? It's a general term for a mechanic that provides the player with a visual cue to the communication that goes on, placed directly over the head of the avatar doing the communication. it can be round, it can be a box, it can be transparent or it could just be semi-transparent text. it doesn't matter, as long as it's there, letting us know that:

1. Someone said something.

2. THIS someone said something.

Nor would chat bubbles remove the text from the chat window. As in every single MMO that includes this mechanic (read; most of them, except SWTOR) the text is displayed in the chat window AND in the "bubbles", so everyone can still scroll up to read what they missed, but doing so is no longer the ONLY way to follow along in a conversation.

Just add it already.

Edited by JohnnyPanzer

This is something I think nearly every RPer out there wants. I really do enjoy this game, but I am amazed this has not yet been implimented.

Well, this, and the ability to sit down in a chair outside of a handfull on ships.

This is pretty much a standard feature of ANY modern MMORPG. I probably won't continue playing past my free month if chat bubbles or at least overhead text has been implemented. It is a crucial feature for my style of play and pretty much necessary for any kind of social interaction between players. I can't understand how an MMORPG that is supposed to be the most modern doesn't have anything like that in the game at launch already.

Which MMOs are you talking about? I only gave WoW the briefest of looks, so I don't know if they have these things there. There are many MMOs without chat bubbles. Of all the other MMOs I've played since 1999 I don't ever remember having any part of my gaming experience diminished because of a lack of chat bubbles. I think CoH had chat bubbles, but I don't recall. If they did I toggled them off because bubbles must be just about the least needed thing in a game.

Do you use chat bubbles in Hello Kitty Online? Is that where you are coming from?

Which MMOs are you talking about? I only gave WoW the briefest of looks, so I don't know if they have these things there. There are many MMOs without chat bubbles. Of all the other MMOs I've played since 1999 I don't ever remember having any part of my gaming experience diminished because of a lack of chat bubbles. I think CoH had chat bubbles, but I don't recall. If they did I toggled them off because bubbles must be just about the least needed thing in a game.

Do you use chat bubbles in Hello Kitty Online? Is that where you are coming from?

And which MMOs are YOU talking about? Every large mainstream MMO I have played since such-n-such irrelevant date, has had chat bubbles in some form or fashion.

So, yeah... everyone can ride their high horse too!

WoW didn't launch with chat bubbles. I'm sure SWTOR will get them eventually. Why they didn't launch.. I don't know. I'm sure they will be their. It's a nice signal to know when some one is talking nearby. I often have troubles realizing my chat screen when someone is /saying something to me.

Well the little dig about Hello Kitty Online was nice so I'll shoot back with you've probably never had a need for chat bubbles since one on one cyber in /p chat is generally pretty straightforward to follow. :rolleyes:

However, those of us who actually roleplay at events attended by more than 2 people often rely on the visual cue provided by chat bubbles to SEE when the person in front of us is speaking vs. the 30 people not currently in our camera view but who are still in say range. They're especially useful since unlike in real life, the avatars don't animate while speaking, nor can we rely on directional aural cues to hear from what direction speech is originating; they also can add a level of immersion since it's generally impossible IRL to be aware of the specific content of every conversation in a 40 foot area which is what is essentially happening when reading the chat box.

I've had to leave the 2 RP events I've attended thus far early because there's no way to deal with the excessive chat scroll.

This needs addressed, stat, and yes, it can be a toggle so if YOU don't like chat bubbles, you can choose to not see them.

And which MMOs are YOU talking about? Every large mainstream MMO I have played since such-n-such irrelevant date, has had chat bubbles in some form or fashion.

So, yeah... everyone can ride their high horse too!

Allowing for a chat bubble toggle allows everyone a win-win situation.