Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

I hope they add this too. On various occassions I've used /say and people just dont see it. Chat bubbles help so much, please add them.

Only if people turn them on. I for one would never enable them. I'm not against them for those who want them, but neither would I prioritize them very highly.

No thank you. TOR not having chat bubbles has been one of better parts of this game. Just learn how to read a normal chat box.
What an ignorant response. All this thread is about is giving people that want to use chat bubbles or even need them to be able to enjoy the game an option to turn on chat bubbles. It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant and selfish some people can be. Edited by Glzmo

OMG YES TIHS IS THE MOAST IMPROTANT THING EVAR!!!!!!

:rak_03:

What an ignorant response. All this thread is about is giving people that want to use chat bubbles or even need them to be able to enjoy the game an option to turn on chat bubbles. It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant and selfish some people can be.

Aren't you just as, or more, selfish in wanting to distract developers to a project that 95% of the user base will probably turn off?

Didn't they try chat bubbles in beta and found that it ground the FPS to less than zero?

So everybody who disagrees with you is ignorant?

Edited by Subatia

From a roleplayer's perspective, you'd think being able to keep up with what other players are saying is pretty damn important. They tried chat bubbles in the Beta and it ground fps to a halt because hey, the game wasn't finished (thereby it being a BETA) and due to EA's demands the game was released prematurely and still suffered some heavy performance issues. Speechbubbles were most likely not implemented right and were put on hold to fit the deadline, just like many other things.

An option to turn off chat bubbles at will would please both those who prefers the game without them, and roleplayers (you know, the people who actually buy the MMORPG for the 'RPG' part).

The suggestions on the front page are good, valid suggestions that benefit everybody while keeping in mind those that don't want chatbubbles in their game. To pop on the thread just to say that we should adapt when the options presented are good, most likely means that they haven't read the whole thread and that's kinda ignorant.

Aren't you just as, or more, selfish in wanting to distract developers to a project that 95% of the user base will probably turn off?

Didn't they try chat bubbles in beta and found that it ground the FPS to less than zero?

Except that they've largely addressed the issue that was the actual cause of the FPS hit.

It also wouldn't be developer time spent on this as last I knew, they had actual coders to work on, you know, coding the game.

No thank you. TOR not having chat bubbles has been one of better parts of this game. Just learn how to read a normal chat box.

This post can't be sincere. I HATES CHAT BUBBLES ! lol gimme a break. Turn them off then.

From what I've seen, 95% of the user base will use them... So, yeah.... Don't know where you get your numbers, but mine are just from those around me :).

Source for that statistic?

Sorry, this is a big pet peeve of mine with people who post on forums. You assume that because you don't like it, that must be the majority opinion. And not just a small majority, either.

I just don't think so. Chat bubbles have obvious benefits to roleplayers and non-roleplayers alike. Communicating with other players in this game has been, in my experience, just cumbersome without them. If it came down to a choice between this and a group finder, I wouldn't choose bubbles. But just the same, this is important. Way more important than legacy, I think. We're talking about something that affects the very culture of the community.

The problem is that something like chat bubbles can't be milked (the way legacy was) for PR purposes as an exciting and inventive new feature coming in a future patch, because most people who have played any other modern MMORPG would just assume chat bubbles were a launch feature--they're a staple to the genre these days.

Edited by thewatcheruatu

Bioware just posted a Weekly Q&A Archive with "all Q&A questions ever asked". Mysteriously, however, the question(s) and answers about chat bubbles have vanished.

Heck, the February 17 Q&A in which the question was featured has even been ignored in the Community News: Q&A Page...

Am I the only one worried that they are sweeping chat bubbles under the rug and are pretending they never said anything about them because they aren't planning to implement them anymore or am I just a little paranoid? ;)

Perhaps they just didn't add it to the archive because they haven't really answered the question with a firm ETA yet? Let the

speculation run rampant! :)

Edited by Glzmo

As long as there is a way to turn them off.. I have no issue..

But I honestly fail to see what the issue is with chat bubbles?? Is it really so hard read chat in the chat box??

You do know you can move your chat box in your UI.. Why not just move it to the middle of the screen so it is over everyone's head and then call it a chat bubble..

Seriously!! This is such a wasted feature.. Nobody needs this and there is absolutely no reason for it.. Just move your chat box for pete sakes..

Do we really need to make Star Wars look like a comic strip??

Like I said. As long as there is an option to turn it off, I guess it is ok.. Just seems like a waste to me.. Add something just so most people can disable it..

Edited by MajikMyst

But I honestly fail to see what the issue is with chat bubbles?? Is it really so hard read chat in the chat box??
Yes, it is. Especially at large social gatherings and RP events.

You do know you can move your chat box in your UI.. Why not just move it to the middle of the screen so it is over everyone's head and then call it a chat bubble..
You still don't see which character on the screen is saying what. Besides, the chatbox in the middle of the screen hinders gameplay. Chat bubbles don't.

Seriously!! This is such a wasted feature.. Nobody needs this and there is absolutely no reason for it.. Just move your chat box for pete sakes..
There are plenty of people who need this. Just read this thread and the many other chat bubbles threads that pop up regularly. There is a reason why this is one of the largest constructive threads on these forums, you know. ;)

Do we really need to make Star Wars look like a comic strip??
Actually, there are quite good Star Wars Comics out there... (Knights of) The Old Republic is even based on certain Star Wars comics! ;)

That said, the chat bubbles don't need to look like in comics. They could be transparent, blue "holo bubbles" with white text as well...

Like I said. As long as there is an option to turn it off, I guess it is ok..
We haven't asked for anything else and the developers already confirmed that it will be a toggle once it's implemented.

Just seems like a waste to me.. Add something just so most people can disable it..
There are many more people that would like to use chat bubbles that you probably think. ;) Edited by Stubacca

Bioware just posted a Weekly Q&A Archive with "all Q&A questions ever asked". Mysteriously, however, the question(s) and answers about chat bubbles have vanished.

Heck, the February 17 Q&A in which the question was featured has even been ignored in the Community News: Q&A Page...

Am I the only one worried that they are sweeping chat bubbles under the rug and are pretending they never said anything about them because they aren't planning to implement them anymore or am I just a little paranoid? ;)

Perhaps they just didn't add it to the archive because they haven't really answered the question with a firm ETA yet? Let the

speculation run rampant! :)

its not some grand conspiracy. erickson has posted a couple times as to why we dont currently have chat bubbles, which is why they dont continue to answer that question. as to when we will get them, its probably going to be when they have the time/ability to figure out how to fix the issues they were causing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.