Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

I'm still holding out hope that Chat Bubbles will be in the next patch. And if not, then the one after... And so on until they actually are here.

I just hope we don't have to wait a year... two years... 3 years in order to get them....

Now that GUI customization is out of the door, make sure to ask about chat bubbles in the Official Q&A threads again. Damion Schubert said in his previous Q&A response that they will have an ETA for chat bubbles after GUI customization is live - the time is now. So make sure to ask as many questions about chat bubbles and the ETA for them as possible to raise awareness of the developers!

Here is the next thread to post questions in:

It has been a killer for most RP - If its not your thing, fine, but chat bubbles help that interaction so much. How many things are they going to push to 1.3?

I love the game, but I changed to a month - month sub. They need to show some action on some of the big fails for me to stay.

Rift had bubbles, 6 man groups, big WZ, big open world pvp etc on launch. Plus a UI you could move. The game was not as good, so dont get me wrong, but it had it atleast. I would say those are :(base features TOR/BW/EA have not delivered on.

It has been a killer for most RP - If its not your thing, fine, but chat bubbles help that interaction so much. How many things are they going to push to 1.3?
You are right. The lack of chat bubbles has alienated a lot of roleplayers and socializers from the game already. Many have left - although many of them said they will give it another shot once chat bubbles are here. Having the developers talk only about PVP most of the time and not talking about RP features much if at all doesn't help either.

I really hope all the other things being delayed won't delay chat bubbles any further and we will see them in 1.3 at latest. They are so sorely needed.

Edited by Glzmo

I left the game back in February with the stipulation that I'd be back once there were chat bubbles. Well, I came back regardless, but still have no hope of getting my RP on without this feature. You simply cannot have a decent face-to-face conversation without them.

So in case anybody from Bioware reads this: Will chat bubbles be in 1.3?

If not, why not? What's the current target ETA for them? It can't be so hard to give us an ETA, they give ETA on all kinds of other things after all. And they said at the guild summit they fixed the performance problem with chat bubbles. So what's the holdup? Roleplayers and social players are leaving the game every day because there still are no chat bubbles! Why alienate this important and usually loyal group of players by not even giving them the bare minimum tools to enjoy their playstyle?!

Just wanted to bump this yet again. Swtor has been my first mmorpg. I recently tried another mmo that had chat bubbles. It was pretty cool. Probably my favorite feature of that game, as compared to swotor.

I would really like to see these implemented, as I am in an RP guild on an RP server.

Fingers crossed over here.

Edited by Rjwrock
misspell

The developers have just posted a UI Feedback Request, where they ask which UI features we want next.

Since chat bubbles are a UI feature, we should all go to the UI Feedback Request thread and post that they should add chat bubbles there, so they won't be foregone in favor of other UI features yet again.

We must make our voices heard, otherwise there is a chance that we won't see chat bubbles for a very long time!

Edited by Glzmo

A new Question thread for next week's Q&A is up!

Make sure to ask for chat bubbles once again, since they didn't answer the questions about them in this week's Q&A Blog!

Official Q&A Thread for May 11th, 2012 Q&A Blog Post

Due to their silence on the topic, I fear they put chat bubbles on the backburner once again and only YOU can make your voice heard and remind them that we, the players want chat bubbles to be added ASAP!

Edited by Glzmo

Still no news and ETA about chat bubbles? What's going on, Bioware? You promised we were getting them once the Interface Editor was in the game!

There's an official reason for that: chat bubbles are killing the frame rate.

........Do the following test: don't move and check your FPS. Then open an close multiple UI frames one after the other FAST, observe... and cry.

For example in some areas I have 100+ FPS and I'm able to drop to 5 FPS doing so.

As long as the UI will eat FPS like that we won't have chat bubbles as each chat bubble is a separate UI frame.

P.S.: We won't either have UI mods too as long as the UI isn't fixed.

There's an official reason for that: chat bubbles are killing the frame rate.

........Do the following test: don't move and check your FPS. Then open an close multiple UI frames one after the other FAST, observe... and cry.

For example in some areas I have 100+ FPS and I'm able to drop to 5 FPS doing so.

As long as the UI will eat FPS like that we won't have chat bubbles as each chat bubble is a separate UI frame.

P.S.: We won't either have UI mods too as long as the UI isn't fixed.

They said at the community summit that the performance issues with chat bubbles have been fixed, so there should be no reason not to include them in one of the next patches.

Besides that, I'm not seeing the FPS drops you're talking about. Sure, 2D overlays always generate a a performance hit (not just in this game, but in all 3D games in general), but on my system the hit isn't bad (granted, it's a powerful system). As long as chat bubbles are an option (means everyone can turn them on/off on their client at their leisure), people can choose to keep high performance without chat bubbles or the comfort of chat bubbles with a performance hit (if they added in a toggle keybind it would be even better, so people could quickly toggle them on/off depending on the situation, too). I sure would accept a performance hit over not having chat bubbles at all, as chat bubbles are integral for my playstyle (social roleplayer) and without them, I simply can't enjoy the game (imagine what PVPers would think if PVP in this game was limited to one-on-one duels only - that's how roleplayers/socializers feel without chat bubbles and other "stanard" RP and social tools!) and I will quit once my subscription runs out in case chat bubbles aren't in the game by then. And I know many, many people that feel the same way.

Edited by Stubacca

They said at the community summit that the performance issues with chat bubbles have been fixed, so there should be no reason not to include them in one of the next patches.

Besides that, I'm not seeing the FPS drops you're talking about. Sure, 2D overlays always generate a a performance hit (not just in this game, but in all 3D games in general), but on my system the hit isn't bad (granted, it's a powerful system)..

Thanks for the highlight, I missed that.

Then for the UI test I can really go from 100+ FPS to 5. Open an close different UI frames really fast and notice the drop. And before anybody says so, while it's not a logic to hit the UI like a mad this doesn't happen in all others MMO I play.

For now it seems TOR UI is indeed hindering the engine performance. Rest assured they are working diligently on that. The only real question being when?

Edited by Deewe