The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Legacy Promotion now expanded

GregZeschuk

So I can either spend dozens of hours between now an the 22nd to get my characters up high enough to get a free month, or I can spend less than an hour more at work to get the money necessary to pay for that month. I'll take the latter, and happily give Bioware my money.

+1 for Genius Thinking

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So to summ it up: Some people were sent a thank you Mail that stated that they were the most valued customers for playing a character to level 50.

Is it being too sensitive, after having paid since the beginning, having helped the financial success of the game, to presume to also deserve a thank you? Is it wrong to feel left out because of not even having recieved a simple mail like all the others that have played more? I don't know. The five minutes it would have taken to write that mail and send it out to the rest of us could have easily been paid with the subsccription-fee of ONE player. Never the less, the devs are paid with real money and not level 50 characters...

where is this special email praising the lvl 50. yes there was an email sent out letting them know that they qualified for promotion, but i am assuming that everyone who makes the new dead line will get there's when it falls. yes the promo in the first place was a bad idea but letting people know they quilify via email is nothing special

I have never heard that any company valued some customers over others. At least they would never write it in an official statement.

So yeah, I am sensitive about that. I work for my money as hard as anyone else and being valued less eventhough I paid the most amount possible feels just wrong.

Just my point of view...

Have you ever payed for your own cell phone plane? if you do then you know that depending on your account type and longevity most providers will offer special intensives. do you own one of those "members cards" for the groceries store? they pass on slight savings to you because they value you more than someone who doesn't. companies do play favoritism they usually just are not so blatant about it.

EDIT: I have never complained about any game before on a forum. But this is not about a game, this is about me as a customer, as a person...

arguments stand on there merit not your moral high ground.

Please understand first off that people were angry about rated warzone's not being included in the patch - that's really why the free month is even on the table.

I understand that those people were angry and I understand that that problem needed to be adressed, but the right move had been to fix the problems of the game or not promising them at all. That way everyone would have benefit. If there are 500k people having a level 50 character then that money would have been much better spent on the quality of the game.

But that was not my point here. For me the statement about who are the most valuable customers was a slap in the face of those of us who were just left out. The money I paid for this game I paid gladly. It's just the choice of words and the adressing of other gamers as being more valuable. This could have been easily avoided.

So to summ it up: Some people were sent a thank you Mail that stated that they were the most valued customers for playing a character to level 50.

A mail saying that they were one of the most valued players. Allegedly. I haven't seen the mail.

If you think you're valued, well, maybe you are. But this promotion just wasn't for you. Maybe next time.

Problem with the free month is not other than they being valueing some peoples playstyle over others. I find this non acceptable.

How you choose to play a game should not be an item of evaluation to wich you get a free month or not.

I play mainly as a crafter and as such I havent reached lvl 50 yet. I havent even reached legacy 6 yet.

Even so, I have put my playing hours in crafting gathering and in so presenting in the galactic market items that wouldnt have appear there Without a designated crafter.

Due to this I havent reached lvl 50 not legacy lvl 6 because I have centered my playtime on getting my crafting skills up to level of my many different characters.

I have hold back on the leveling so my crafting level can match my characters level.

For this I am now punished.

If I had disregarded the crafting system alltogeather and just grinded the quests to lvl 50, O would have gotten the 30 days free, But as I actually played the game to my likings, took it cool and concentrated on crafting, I get zip, nada, nothing.

It dont sound fair to me, soes it?

where is this special email praising the lvl 50. yes there was an email sent out letting them know that they qualified for promotion, but i am assuming that everyone who makes the new dead line will get there's when it falls. yes the promo in the first place was a bad idea but letting people know they quilify via email is nothing special

Of course since I did not recieve that Mail I can't say it for certain. I have read the Mail here in the forums. If they didn't contain the words "one of our most valued customer" then I sincerily apologize for my wrong doing. But since I have read it so often in the past few days I believe that the content of the mail has not been altered before being postet here.

Have you ever payed for your own cell phone plane? if you do then you know that depending on your account type and longevity most providers will offer special intensives. do you own one of those "members cards" for the groceries store? they pass on slight savings to you because they value you more than someone who doesn't. companies do play favoritism they usually just are not so blatant about it.

I did not mean the 30 days of free gametime, so this doesnt apply to me.

arguments stand on there merit not your moral high ground.

To clarify this: I just wanted to say that my post has nothing to do with my point of view about the quality of the game, wich I have nothing to complain about.

Is it being too sensitive, after having paid since the beginning, having helped the financial success of the game, to presume to also deserve a thank you? Is it wrong to feel left out because of not even having recieved a simple mail like all the others that have played more? I don't know. The five minutes it would have taken to write that mail and send it out to the rest of us could have easily been paid with the subsccription-fee of ONE player. Never the less, the devs are paid with real money and not level 50 characters...

I have never heard that any company valued some customers over others. At least they would never write it in an official statement.

So yeah, I am sensitive about that. I work for my money as hard as anyone else and being valued less eventhough I paid the most amount possible feels just wrong.

Just my point of view...

EDIT: I have never complained about any game before on a forum. But this is not about a game, this is about me as a customer, as a person...

Yet it happens, every day.

Restaurants value you as a customer more if you don't show up during a busy lunch rush, take up a needed table, while you order a soda and chat for 2 hours, ordering no food or anything else. Yes, they may serve you. They may make it the tastiest soda they can possibly make. They may bring you lemon or lime on the side or whatever you ask for.

But in the back of their mind, they know they have customers standing and waiting at the door who might turn around and leave because they can't afford to wait, who would gladly sit down in the booth you're taking up, pay 20x more money, and then leave within 40 minutes, allowing them to turn that table over 3 times in the time you sat there.

You might say, "Well that doesn't account for the fact that I'll come back next week and spend $100 on a high dollar meal." Sure it does. That's why they're serving you, providing you with lemon and lime and straws and napkins and whatever you wish. But that still doesn't mean they aren't going to be computing the opportunity cost of that lost table for 2 hours in the middle of a busy lunch rush.

____

In my own business, I'll often give customers a 10% discount if they pay 50% of the project price up front, and sometimes even 20% if they pay 100% of the price up front. Because if they can do that, it makes it a lot easier on me to set up what I need to set up and get the job done more efficiently.

If you can't pay 50% or 100% up front, and you aren't getting the 10% or 20% discount, it still doesn't mean you aren't a valuable customer of mine. It just means we're going to go through the same triple-split 33%, 33%, 33% process and you're going to pay full price.

If you can't afford the 33% up front, and we have to start out with like a 10% or 20% down payment, you might even end up with a 10-20% surcharge on the back-end (announced up front, of course). It still doesn't mean that you aren't valuable to me as a customer, or else I'd just flat-out tell you I can't help you and send you on your way.

But if you expect me to make accomodations for your needs, you'll probably need to compensate that somehow. Because it will be more difficult for me as a business person to get started on your project and dedicate the large amount of time necessary on a 10% down payment.

____

Because they aren't offering you a free month doesn't mean you aren't valuable. But as others have said, if you aren't actively playing, you aren't helping the game world and the community out as much as someone who is. That doesn't mean they're going to raise your prices though, or limit you from content. In fact, if you were subbed, you're getting a Tauntaun pet as a thank you gift.

And after having watched the same player come in and gank eggs twice this morning, even though other people had been waiting there for 2-3 hours, trust me, that little vanity pet might be worth more than you think...

Restaurants value you as a customer more if you don't show up during a busy lunch rush, take up a needed table, while you order a soda and chat for 2 hours, ordering no food or anything else. Yes, they may serve you. They may make it the tastiest soda they can possibly make. They may bring you lemon or lime on the side or whatever you ask for.

But do you offer them a free meal and tell them that they are your favourite customers simply for finishing up their food?

Then you aren't paying attention. I, for one, had a ton of time to play BEFORE they implemented the legacy system and I play with friends. So I started a new character with a friend when the Legacy system started and can only play like 5 hours a week. Even though I have multiple characters above level 20, I'm still not Legacy level 6 because of all the damn time I put in on characters BEFORE the Legacy system started when I had a lot more time to play.

So, even though I have a bunch of mid level characters, because I couldn't play much since the Legacy started (way later than launch, I might add), I (and people like me) are screwed out of the 30 days of free time even though we have loyally supported the game since launch - much more loyally than someone that just played a short time and got to 50, but because Bioware is too daft to see that, they are rewarding the jobless people living on their parents dimes instead of the people PAYING for a subscription since launch.

Nice try... calling all the other loyal paying subscribers jobless.

Maybe if you spent less time whining and more time educating yourself, you would've noticed that you could get legacy experience ever since pre-launch started. But no, instead of doing that you spend your time mindlessly whining on the forums instead and trashing other paying customers. I'm glad Bioware isn't pandering to idiots like you.

Edited by Beesuit

I understand that those people were angry and I understand that that problem needed to be adressed, but the right move had been to fix the problems of the game or not promising them at all. That way everyone would have benefit. If there are 500k people having a level 50 character then that money would have been much better spent on the quality of the game.

But that was not my point here. For me the statement about who are the most valuable customers was a slap in the face of those of us who were just left out. The money I paid for this game I paid gladly. It's just the choice of words and the adressing of other gamers as being more valuable. This could have been easily avoided.

I'm not sure I understand if you fully get the situation.

Giving level 50 players a free month is trying to fix the problem in the only way they can at the moment because they couldn't add rated warzone's to 1.2. These people were pissed, livid, and out for Bioware's blood... now everyone who doesn't have a 50 is our for the same because of unfortunate wording... but they will receive the same benefit now.

People around here assume and feel entitled to a lot of things. If you don't have a 50 you simply can't comprehend the dissatisfaction of one. The stories are awesome and you're overall happy with that while you're leveling them casually. Please don't pretend to know the frustrations that end game has cause for them and be so irate still after you will be getting a free month because content you weren't aware of isn't comming for you.

But do you offer them a free meal and tell them that they are your favourite customers simply for finishing up their food?

If my restaurant is slammed and I have customers out the door, I very well might start offering 10% discounts if you finish your meal within 20 minutes.

To put it another way, many restaurants offer an Early Bird dinner every day which offers discounted meals for customers who show up prior to 5:00pm. The purpose is to fill up the restaurant while they're preparing for the dinner rush.

I also might offer them a free meal if they agree to try a brand new dish that we are just rolling out, with the understanding that it wasn't what they originally came to order, but that I need some people to try that dish out so we can perfect it.

I understand what you are saying, please don't misunderstand me. But I think BioWare is trying to encourage a certain play style, because it suits their game better and makes it a better environment for all concerned, even you.

Because those other players are getting free months, and that it might help change their attitudes a bit, that means there's all the more chance that when you DO get the chance to log in for the short time you are able, there are lots of things on the Galactic Market for you to buy, or the customers needed so you can sell quickly at your desired price point, and players wround to help you team up on missions and heroics, for instance.

Giving level 50 players a free month is trying to fix the problem in the only way they can at the moment because they couldn't add rated warzone's to 1.2. These people were pissed, livid, and out for Bioware's blood... now everyone who doesn't have a 50 is our for the same because of unfortunate wording... but they will receive the same benefit now.

That's the thing. Bioware never said this, still haven't. But if they had in the first place, a lot of the noise would have been avoided.

LOL, I just hinted at that myself :)

Bioware LISTENS. That's obvious now. (THANKYOU! Keep it up Bioware!).

SOE? "OMG your whinging? #lock thread. Your still whinging? /banned."

Lol no kidding. Our previous guild leader actually got in a long term fight with one GM because the GM apparently decided he hated us lol. Eventually our guild leader got banned, but his extractor named "fah-q remdag" (remdag was the gm) remained in the game until it shut down :D

I am glad they did this. My highest level is 46 but I have lots of characters across a few servers. The main server I play on is now legacy 11. I pre-ordered, bought 2 CEs and have a active sub on both since release. Nice that I am valued now.

An offer given to someone else based on their accomplishment, while disregaring someone elses accomplishments is in this case quite vital and is my point.

You're expecting someone to officially acknowledge accomplishments like 'very thorough and patient levelling'? I think you're expecting too much.

That's the thing. Bioware never said this, still haven't. But if they had in the first place, a lot of the noise would have been avoided.

They're putting out fires at this point because they couldn't deliver on something. Everything that's posted around here is being scrutinized by thousands of people.

They wanted to address the population that has been effected most by content they couldn't quite add yet (Please take your time, and give it to us right Bioware).

They did it slightly wrong, and people are way too sensitive and ready to pounce down Biowares throat for every little move they make.

Lets all take our free month, get over it and see what Bioware will provide us with in it.

But in the back of their mind, they know they have customers standing and waiting at the door who might turn around and leave because they can't afford to wait, who would gladly sit down in the booth you're taking up, pay 20x more money, and then leave within 40 minutes, allowing them to turn that table over 3 times in the time you sat there.

You might say, "Well that doesn't account for the fact that I'll come back next week and spend $100 on a high dollar meal." Sure it does. That's why they're serving you, providing you with lemon and lime and straws and napkins and whatever you wish. But that still doesn't mean they aren't going to be computing the opportunity cost of that lost table for 2 hours in the middle of a busy lunch rush.

____

In my own business, I'll often give customers a 10% discount if they pay 50% of the project price up front, and sometimes even 20% if they pay 100% of the price up front. Because if they can do that, it makes it a lot easier on me to set up what I need to set up and get the job done more efficiently.

If you can't pay 50% or 100% up front, and you aren't getting the 10% or 20% discount, it still doesn't mean you aren't a valuable customer of mine. It just means we're going to go through the same triple-split 33%, 33%, 33% process and you're going to pay full price.

If you can't afford the 33% up front, and we have to start out with like a 10% or 20% down payment, you might even end up with a 10-20% surcharge on the back-end (announced up front, of course). It still doesn't mean that you aren't valuable to me as a customer, or else I'd just flat-out tell you I can't help you and send you on your way.

But if you expect me to make accomodations for your needs, you'll probably need to compensate that somehow. Because it will be more difficult for me as a business person to get started on your project and dedicate the large amount of time necessary on a 10% down payment.

____

Because they aren't offering you a free month doesn't mean you aren't valuable. But as others have said, if you aren't actively playing, you aren't helping the game world and the community out as much as someone who is. That doesn't mean they're going to raise your prices though, or limit you from content. In fact, if you were subbed, you're getting a Tauntaun pet as a thank you gift.

And after having watched the same player come in and gank eggs twice this morning, even though other people had been waiting there for 2-3 hours, trust me, that little vanity pet might be worth more than you think...

An asinine example, in a P2P MMO everyone pays the same only difference some pay for 3 mos, 6 months or a year upfront but you, me and the other guy still all pay $15/mo. This isn't I do more business with Gamestop than the next guy so I get more perks for it. Loyalty and value are gauged by how long one subscribes for consecutively not playstyle and should never be by playstyle. BW saying some guy who got 50 in December then quit until April is somehow most active and most valued is idiocy.

People around here assume and feel entitled to a lot of things. If you don't have a 50 you simply can't comprehend the dissatisfaction of one. The stories are awesome and you're overall happy with that while you're leveling them casually. Please don't pretend to know the frustrations that end game has cause for them and be so irate still after you will be getting a free month because content you weren't aware of isn't comming for you.

If you deserve that free month more than me because you have played the game further than I have while we both paid the same amount of money I cannot say, because I have not yet thought of it. Is your loss of money more or less importent than mine? I don't really care. This is not about the 30 days of free gametime for me. I could also argument that my money has been used to advance the content I don't even play. But I won't.. My point is only about what many people have said before - are we lowlevel characters that still paid from day one less valueable than the rest? Can you mesure the importence of two customers that have both invested the same amount of money in your product simply because one has used it more. I stated before that I believe if it is a reward and I am not in it then it should be for those that really helped, bug reporters, those that gave good suggestions on the forums and those that have helped other players out in the game by giving up their own paid gametime for that. But for having simply played further than others - that is beyond my comprehension.

Again: I don't mean it evil and I am happy for you, but I am unhappy for myself as a customer, not as a gamer.

An asinine example, in a P2P MMO everyone pays the same only difference some pay for 3 mos, 6 months or a year upfront but you, me and the other guy still all pay $15/mo. This isn't I do more business with Gamestop than the next guy so I get more perks for it. Loyalty and value are gauged by how long one subscribes for consecutively not playstyle and should never be by playstyle. BW saying some guy who got 50 in December then quit until April is somehow most active and most valued is idiocy.

You taking the statement which literally meant "To our loyal customers who also happen to have level 50s - you are getting these perks" as BW stating that only people with 50s are valued, is what is truly idiotic. I'm sorry to say.

Basically all of you people are chomping at the bit over a misinterpreted statement, simply because your level of reading comprehension is so horribly atrocious that you can't even step back for a second and think that your terrible interpretation could be off.

It's over. You're getting a free month, you're just as valuable as everyone else now, and when you lay your head down tonight, you can sleep soundly knowing that BW finally got tired of all of the crying and caved in simply so that outrageous people wont have their feelings hurt.

Edited by Celebrus

You taking the statement which literally meant "To our loyal customers who also happen to have level 50s - you are getting these perks" as BW stating that only people with 50s are valued, is what is truly idiotic. I'm sorry to say.

Basically all of you people are chomping at the bit over a misinterpreted statement, simply because your level of reading comprehension is so horribly atrocious that you can't even step back for a second and think that your terrible interpretation could be off.

It's over. You're getting a free month, you're just as valuable as everyone else now, and when you lay your head down tonight, you can sleep soundly knowing that BW finally got tired of all of the crying and caved in simply so that outrageous people wont have their feelings hurt.

I've been with the game from the start, unbroken subscription, and I still don't get a free month.

I don't care about the statement. The fact of the matter is that the reward schema is still tied to level progression, rather than to the time you have been a paying customer. Look to Anarchy Online, they did this right.

The fact of the matter is that BioWare is asking loyal casual players to subsidies the subscription for the hard core part of the player base, in order to appease them while they try and make the game more attractive for that part of the customer base. Unless you think all costs associated with making the game available to you somehow went away, those that do not get the reward will be paying for the rest.

Edited by Gnubi