Star Wars games are cursed

Zanatic

.... as are Star Trek games. It seems no matter what, scifi games have an almost impossible time getting it right. With only a handful that really made it (Xwing vs Tie Fighter, etc.), it's a wonder that SWTOR has come this far along.

It seems no matter what, scifi games have an almost impossible time getting it right.

Mass Effect

Doom

Dune

Starcraft

Tron

Kotor

EVE Online

Halo

Portal

To name a few.. These are sci-fi and they're fine.

Edited by Mechavomit

You think Star Trek and Starwars games are cursed!?! Try looking at Stargate ones, none of them really had gotten off the ground before crashing... Alliance (Dead before it came out), SGW (dead before it came out), SGR (Made it out at launched, lasted few months and died)....

.... as are Star Trek games. It seems no matter what, scifi games have an almost impossible time getting it right. With only a handful that really made it (Xwing vs Tie Fighter, etc.), it's a wonder that SWTOR has come this far along.

Knights of the Old Republic, as well. It's all a point of view, but Star Wars is doing better than most video games derived from a movie or TV show. Star Wars was a hit before there even was a Star Wars game (Star Wars mod for Doom, anyone?) :)

I think it was bridge commander, but there was a Star Trek game where you commanded the USS Sovereign and it was a really cool game

Most good Star Trek and Star Wars video games were made a long time ago when quality was important in order to get money, and that you wouldn't just get a huge paycheck for a crappy product with a recognizable brand name.

*looks back at The Force Unleashed and the Lego series*

Uhhhh you sure they are doing "well"?

Woah woah woah woah woah... bro.... just woah.... the Lego series was beast.... don't diss the Legos bro....

The IP's are not cursed, they just have lousy developers coupled with even worse distributors doing all the "VISIONS" of the games in question.

The first failure is not knowing what the masses want, and then creating an MMO around them, the future subscribers. Insted devs think their own circle of friends have all the answers and they do not, hell, most of these devs havent been out of state let alone have any experience in travel or wisdom, basic things needed for creativity.

So we have what we have, a huge failed IP in the form of SWTOR grasping at all the people that unsubbed and hoping they can get some back, they wont of course.

Hell, i tried 1.2 and it is garbage, i will remain unsubbed. It is a grind, and a grindfest for alts simply put. This game disappointed me so badly i went back to FF XIV until my GW2 download and betas start, FF XIV, heh, takes alot to drive a person back to that failure, curiously though FF XIV is better than SWTOR right now.

Edited by Chal

Both IP's excel at SINGLE player driven RPG's or other styled games. Take the KOTOR series; great single player story and progression, good example of a single player RPG. You can also take the X-Wing vs Tie Fighter games and the Starfleet Academy games ... great space combat (for the time).

Try to implement either of these IP's into an MMO ... doesn't work. Why? Too much canon and extended canon. MMO's that do particularly well, usually have their own stories created by the developers and are maintained by them. Blizzard established the Warcraft lore long ago with the original Warcraft series and (pretty much) controlled it since. Rift ... their own story and lore (you could argue it's a copy of WoW). Ultima Online ... their own lore (IP). On and on and on ...

When you try to reign in all the different versions of Star Wars and Star Trek, taking into consideration all the books and content written by various authors, it becomes an almost impossible task to appease everyone. MMO's based on these IP"s just don't work.