The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Win a Life-Sized Figure of Darth Malgus

AlysonBridge

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But for a $6000.00 statue that, if I win, will probably give me a heart-attack during the night when I get up to go use the bathroom? Priceless .....

This is pretty much what i was thinking too lol.

You think that statue has been staring at them in an awkward place in the Bioware office?

I'm thinking the conference room... reminding them of the wrath of the masses from the SWTOR community.

The contest is being held by the company who made it, and from everything detailed in the product description lead me to believe its not even fully manufactured yet with a release date of late July. Why is everyone assuming its at EA and the contest is being run by EA when you're registering at their site, and its being shipped from them?

You may not want to hear this but in these situations it is typically the fault of federal laws in the countries of people residing outside of the US. In order to not break international laws they are almost exclusively forced to make such contests US only. So don't blame Bioware for the archaic laws of the country you live in. This isn't Bioware treating you as a 2nd class citizen, this is Bioware making sure that they are not brought into international courts and forced to pay out restitution because they wanted to do something nice (albeit a bit creepy, being a life sized Darth Malgus statue) for their subscribers.

While you may be right about the legalese, I very much doubt that this whole thing has anything to do with Bioware really. Probably some PR/marketing decision made a long time ago by corporate people that has no grasp of SWTOR whatsoever! It's certainly not good timing to throw this at the community the way they did!

I think It's just unfortunate that they punch it out at this time for the whole community to see with all the crap that's going on with the patch crash right now!

And, I am in the EU as well and also could'nt care less about this statue for sure! :eek:

Edited by z-ray

American Citizens only? Wow i bet your massive European player-base and Asian player-base sure appreciate that. Thanks!

I'll build my own Malgus.

Again I will say with utmost certainty that this has everything to do with international laws and absolutely nothing to do with trying to screw with non US residents.

Customs? Its a US based company that is shipping only inside the US. Are you actually thinking they are going to ship this OUTSIDE the US, then back to you in the US where they are only shipping? Do you know what customs even does? This gets better with every post, please keep going.

Due to custom requirements, the prize will be assigned a value of at least US$1.

Learn to read fine print.

Sales tax? You aren't buying anything.

Doesn't matter. Just because its a "prize" you have won, you are still responsible to the Federal Gov for taxes as income. That's right, its considered income and you are responsible for declaring it on your taxes and paying the appropriate Federal and State taxes. Sales tax is likely a bit low. You should figure between 20-30% most likely.

The guys at Sideshow Collectibles sure seem to have a hard on for Malgus. First the CE statue and now this. Malgus is ugly. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the CE statues are still sitting in their boxes.

Should have put out a Satele statue or Shae Vizla.

The guys at Sideshow Collectibles sure seem to have a hard on for Malgus. First the CE statue and now this. Malgus is ugly. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the CE statues are still sitting in their boxes.

Should have put out a Satele statue or Shae Vizla.

I know mine is, but I collect statues and display them only rarely, it keeps them from getting damaged accidentally or fading ... I do have a nice display of boxes though ...

Is this the same statue as the Collectors Edition? If so, stop giving away free stuff to win that others payed for.

"a life-sized figure of Darth Malgus, valued at nearly $6,000."

Did you get that with CE? damn, now I regret only going with DDE. :mad:

Who in their right mind would want something like that? It's almost insulting.

Hey, BioWare, instead of spending money producing seven foot doll, how about you spend money hiring some more developers to get this game off life support? Are these seriously the things you guys are coming up with?

Wha?

You think devs stopped what they are doing and designed and casted a doll? You are dilutional in every way. Just looking for a reason to spread hate.

While you may be right about the legalese, I very much doubt that this whole thing has anything to do with Bioware really. Probably some PR/marketing decision made a long time ago by corporate people that has no grasp of SWTOR whatsoever! It's certainly not good timing to throw this at the community the way they did!

I think It's just unfortunate that they punch it out at this time for the whole community to see with all the crap that's going on with the patch crash right now!

And, I am in the EU as well and also could'nt care less about this statue for sure! :eek:

You may be right that it is an outside PR firm and not Bioware, the legalese still remains the same though. And yeah I'll agree the timing was piss poor (I bet the will fear any Friday the 13th in the future) but I'm willing to bet that it really was a matter of coincidence, as I'm sure no one at Bioware sat back and said "maybe we shouldn't do the statue thing the day after outlet first big update just in case something goes wrong". This is more like a grand opening of a store to find out the supplier of their signature item to be sold dropped the ball and lost the shipment the day before the event. Not the stores fault exactly, the grand opening was planned months in advance, but Murphy stepped in and screwed everything up at the last minute.

Plenty of companies who still manage to operate contests under EU law. EA has a poor work ethic and could care less about it's non-US customers, that is all. So excuse me, but I'll have none of your rationalizations.

Apparently I'm not allowed to call anyone lazy, or imperialist is a big no no word. Either way, post got removed by some overzealous mod. When you remove it this time, do give a reason, will you?

lolz at eu being responsible for VAT and charges.

If you get stopped at customs and have to pay anything that's 20% VAT so you would pay $1200 just to get it into the country on top of postage (which you may as well buy a plane seat for). And you would no doubt get stung by the £8 admin charge from ParcelForce!

Would love it but applying would be suicide!

Wha?

You think devs stopped what they are doing and designed and casted a doll? You are dilutional in every way. Just looking for a reason to spread hate.

Seeing as you don't realize that "casted" is not a word and don't know how to spell "delusional," I'm not even going to try explaining to you how a budget works.

Edited by Anomorn