The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Win a Life-Sized Figure of Darth Malgus

AlysonBridge

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting today and continuing until May 11th, 2012, individuals who have registered accounts with http://www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com will be able to enter for a chance to win a life-sized figure of Darth Malgus, valued at nearly $6,000. To enter, make your way to the Sideshow Collectible’s contest page, and fill out their general contest form with your name, address, phone number and email. Remember to use the same email address that you used to register your Star Wars: The Old Republic account! If you do not yet have an account on http://www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com, you can create one by clicking the “Sign Up” button at the upper-right corner of the browser window and following the simple steps that follow.

Read More

What's the tax I'd owe if I won that?

Bioware is based in the US... they are making it US only because contest rules are incredibly fickle when you try to go international with it. Every country has different laws so it makes it incredibly difficult. It has nothing to do with them favoring the US or something. They are based there, so they can hold contests there very easily.

Of course, there is a law in whole Europe and Asia that says..: All Darth Malgus' figures, monuments, statues, or any image of him, are forbidden under capital punishment. :)

Thank you for once again treating anyone outside the US as second-class customers. Thank you for the generally higher subscription fees we pay and the nothings we get from you.

You do realize that it is probably restricted to USA due to laws about exporting and or licensing from Lucas Arts, copyrights, etc ... And not because Sideshow, EQ, BW have some master conspiracy to make non-US people mad and/or screw them over right?

I am also sure there are contests done in EU, Asia, etc .. that we in the US would not be eligible for as well ...

You should write a letter to someone in your government and ask them what the laws are for entering and winning a contest in US =)

Edited by Balrizangor

About $100.00

plus tax on that $100 (ok, only $7 where I live)

plus sales tax on the value of the statue ($6,000.00 x 7% sales tax= $420)

So for me, roughly $530. Not as bad as my estimated $800. Not as good as free.

Sales tax? You aren't buying anything.

But for a $6000.00 statue that, if I win, will probably give me a heart-attack during the night when I get up to go use the bathroom? Priceless .....

Edited by Balrizangor

It is with great reluctance that I have to announce the life-sized Darth Malgus statue is no longer available. We had a fantastic run of toting this thing around to all of our pre-launch events, and I can’t begin to thank the community enough for their tireless believing anything we told them.

After careful consideration, it is clear that to make our contest valid, we must send you the life-sized statue of Jar Jar Binks, with lifelike hair, and has over 20,000 lines of dialogue. Delivery of the coat rack, umm, statue is going to take a bit more time. I apologize for any disappointment this may cause and ask for your patience as we work to make sure the Life-sized Jar Jar Binks statue is polished and fun.

In the future we'll be rolling funny cigarettes in phases, listening carefully to player feedback and forgetting what they said. The first phase will be full steam ahead, eight-player brewing only and from there we'll look at next steps as Preseason progresses. In the meantime we have provided an alternate War Hero so you can start scratching your set while figuring out whether or not to unsub....

again US only, make it international or just don't even bother doing this at all.
Sorry, but too many of you foreigners live in places that heap on legal issues for contests, so most American companies just aren't going to be willing to do a bunch of research to find out what international countries they can legally run the contests in.

Canada is pretty bad about that, particularly Quebec (even many Canadian contests are illegal in Quebec).

Just wreaks of even more desperation in retaining subs.

yes, because somones going to resubscribe just to win a live size staue to scare the **** of there family.......never mind because they dont have to resub to get it

Edited by Nazzeus

yes, because somones going to resubscribe just to win a live size staue to scare the **** of there family.......never mind

Where did it even say you needed an active sub? It said you need to be a member of SWTOR website... meaning just make an account. People will find absolutely anything to whine about...this is terrible.

Thank you for once again treating anyone outside the US as second-class customers. Thank you for the generally higher subscription fees we pay and the nothings we get from you.

You may not want to hear this but in these situations it is typically the fault of federal laws in the countries of people residing outside of the US. In order to not break international laws they are almost exclusively forced to make such contests US only. So don't blame Bioware for the archaic laws of the country you live in. This isn't Bioware treating you as a 2nd class citizen, this is Bioware making sure that they are not brought into international courts and forced to pay out restitution because they wanted to do something nice (albeit a bit creepy, being a life sized Darth Malgus statue) for their subscribers.

BW This is what you should have said

Sideshow collectibles guy (SCG from now on): hey Mr Bioware, how about we team up? we want to do SWTOR figures for your friki customers

Mr Bioware (BW from now on): I'm listening

SCG: we could even do a life-size figure of one of your most prominent characters, but one we dont have to pay a bunch of bucks to Lucas

BW: Darth Malgus is pretty bad *** and mostly unknown outside our game, but our customers will like it

SCG: nice, it just costs us a few bucks to make one, but we can say it worths thousands and give it as a reward in a marketing contest

BW: Im liking the idea, but sure you can send such a big thing to Europe, Asia, Oceania ....??

SCG: are you joking? we are not expending so much money on this, also our customers are US based, this will be a US only contest

BW: Sorry, even thou i like the idea, we are a global company and SWTOR is a global product, we can not insult half our player base this way, mainly when we have to almost insult our non-US players in a weekly basis.

SCG: Ok i understand it, at least can we get the rights to sell figures of SWTOR?

BW: Sure why not.

Really wish it was open to Canadians :p... EA and Bioware both have offices in Canada.

Edit: even if the statue's maker is American, Bioware is still the paying for it.

It is im from Saskatchewan and i just entered to win, just write ur Provence in the Other box where it says state/Provence and select Canada in the Country box

Sales tax? You aren't buying anything.

Actually you are... or did you not notice the fine print that says they are assigning a value to it of at LEAST $1 to avoid customs.

Regardless... 100 - 200 for a statue that is extremely likely to get wrecked in transit = worthless nevermind the obvious issue that the statue is only of interest to TOR specific fans.

Anyone who dosent know anything about the games or the expanded EU will have no interest in a statue that has no significance. At least Satele could earn some cash on the sex appeal factor but a burnt faced Darth Vader wannabe ?

Good luck with that.

Actually you are... or did you not notice the fine print that says they are assigning a value to it of at LEAST $1 to avoid customs.

Regardless... 100 - 200 for a statue that is extremely likely to get wrecked in transit = worthless nevermind the obvious issue that the statue is only of interest to TOR specific fans.

Anyone who dosent know anything about the games or the expanded EU will have no interest in a statue that has no significance. At least Satele could earn some cash on the sex appeal factor but a burnt faced Darth Vader wannabe ?

Good luck with that.

Customs? Its a US based company that is shipping only inside the US. Are you actually thinking they are going to ship this OUTSIDE the US, then back to you in the US where they are only shipping? Do you know what customs even does? This gets better with every post, please keep going.