Most of the new legacy features cost lots and lots of CREDITS?!?

shoobybomp

you are kind of late to the party, forum goers, I made a thread about this like a week before 1.2 went live.

To Bioware's credit, I think the lowered some of the prices, except the rocket boots.

Edited by ChazDoit

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are supposed to be rewarded for making our legacy, not buying mailboxes (which I have no idea how that is involved in a "legacy" system, but meh).

I'd imagine that's why all of the things that impact your legacy are tied to unlocks, whereas the extra ship goodies are tied to credits.

I don't know why there seems to be such a large chasm between people who seem to have swimming pools full of credits and those that are flat broke. What is going on?

I'm fine with not being "handed" things, but I'm not fine with being criticized for not making mountains of cash. And I would really like to understand why some people are so rich and some so poor, even though we all are playing the same game.

People who don't have 50s capable of running dailies fast and effective (healers, low levels) and people who craft, have very little money. It costs a TON to level up crafting, and with the low RE rates often you don't have much to offer for sale. Prior to 1.2 I had very few blue schems and only two purple ones. Made money more by slicing (post-nerf) and selling schems. But on a low pop server the schems don't sell every day either.

Never done a HM flashpoint, never done dailies because I haven't finished class story yet. not many guildies at 50 yet so nobody to run dailies with.

I mostly did crafting and pvp. Now pvp doesn't pay and crafting doesn't pay and my character would take twice as long to do pve due to being a healer, so that doesn't really pay either.

Thinking of deleting the character because commando healing is so ineffective in pvp (if you're doing well your enemies don't have a clue) but then wouldn't have the maxed slicer to get money for what I hope will be more effective characters. Except by the time I get anything else to 50 that'll be nerfed so what's the point?

People have to start realizing that credit sinks in MMOs keep server economies healthy. No credit sinks equals to massive inflation. New players then have a much harder time as everything costs 15-20 million.

The more credit sinks, the better. I think these are perfectly reasonable. You can't get everything right away, but you'll get everything eventually.

"Credit sinks" are cosmetic stuff, like mounts, pets, unique looking gear.

"Unlocks" are features you open up in a game, for playing a long time, accomplishing things, killing a certain type of creature a thousand times, etc. Like Special guns, extra cards, personal mailboxes.

The legacy gear cost a ton...i am legacy 23, i worked hard at that now the cost of LG is huge, the LG upgrades cost a ton as well.....IMO i already worked hard to reach that lvl, i shouldnt have to farm gold to buy more stuff...and on that note...MOST of the LG we get to buy looks like crap. i would have liked it alot more if we could have unlocked a few different costumes and were able to send a piece of what would be high end gear to a lowbe.....but the stats change, so it might have a 100 str at 50 but at 20 it would have 18 str or something....so it would lvl with you......but nope....i busted my *** on my 2 main toons and now i can spend 1 free token on a piece of crap lvl 16 weapon, and have to fork out what looks like millions of credits for absolutly CRAPY looking armor with barely decent stats. i was so amped about this patch and now it was a shiny piece of turd. legacy in general is horrible. was hoping to pick skills..cant do that, 10min timers on legacy powers....HOWEVER you did did make it so i could customize my UI....the BEST thing you did in this update....should rename it to the 1.2 UI patch instead of legacy, cause right now your legacy looks horrible. please make some changes cause i have not seen a patch more anticipated in all my MMO experience turn out to be such a bummer.....and ive been playing since UO and eq1. i have faith Bioware....hope it turns around.

"Unlocks" are features you open up in a game, for playing a long time, accomplishing things, killing a certain type of creature a thousand times, etc. Like Special guns, extra cards, personal mailboxes.

I was wondering that... most modern MMOs (WAR, for instance) keep track of your tidbits of statistics, kills, feats, etc that can give a tiny boost, a new title, or just be interesting. BW says that they are monitoring metrics already, so I don't know why they wouldn't be able to add a system.

Instead of making the stuff cost WAY too much, they should have just increased the legacy levels needed to gain it, and make it more affordable. They went on and on about how they wanted to make a game that was fun first, now it feels like it's more about what I *need* to do in order to be able to afford the *fun* stuff that was added in 1.2.

Especially crappy after one of them said flat out during the guild summit that most of the game's population had < 1m credits. Obviously the tactic is about keeping people busy trying to earn credits than actually having fun.

Lots of caps but I agree, this is the beginning of an in game system and should take a long time to fully unlock. A Few little rewards to look forward to on the road are good aren't they? You don't need them all right now.

I see both your points but see mine, I'm legacy level 43 now I'm not trying to be an *** here, but i put my time in. in other words it shouldn't matter how much credits i have here how it should have played out.

Repair droid 500k credits.... or legacy level 15

Mailbox.... 600k credits or legacy level 20

GTN 5 mil credits or Legacy level 35 or higher

These are just some examples you can either pay the credits or you can grind the legacy levels. if i I'm grinding the legacy levels then i am paying their subscription fees. thus they are making money. if you cant wait then you pay enormous prices.

During the guild summit this is the way it was suppose to be. George zeller even posted that it was either or. then one week ago it was both.

Edited by Snakeyees

You get legacy xp from just about EVERYTHING you do. The unlocks should require a little bit more than that.

A lot of them can be unlocked be means other than money. The ones you do have to spend money on are just convenience things. It's mostly earlier cooldowns or stuff centralized on your ship that are located all over the place.

I die so much in hardmode ops that I cannot for the life of me come over 250k credits, and that's WITH slicing... Really.

If I asked you to pay a one time only fee of 2 million dollars, cash upfront to cure cancer would that be a money sink for the rest of your life? Mechanically it's the same thing.

That's an inane analogy.

The 'on use' money sinks, of repairs (which are significantly cheaper now) are certainly one way, but multi hundred thousand credit sinks are sinks as well. They can after all, always add new multi hundred thousand credit sinks. If you look at re-speccing in wow, the vast majority of players never actually reached the cost of dual spec in terms of how much they spent respeccing. Sort of an odd thing, but people were willing to throw away more, the big investment chunk, on being able to respec whenever they wanted rather than respeccing all the time.

It's not a money sink if people are engaging in repetitive behavior to create the money simply to hand it back to you.

There's two behavior patterns. Player Type A plays sporadically and is unconcerned with accumulating credits. Player B plays voraciously and accumulates wealth at an accelerated pace. Player Type A isn't contributing to economic inflation, but is greatly affected by it. Player B is contributing greatly to inflation, but is essentially unaffected by it.

Along come million-cred legacy items. Some small subset of Type A's, those who lust after those items and have the time and perseverance, become, for a time, Type B's. They start grinding, but it's a closed loop; virtually all of the money coming into the game goes right back out to Legacy purchases. Once these temporary Type B's have gotten what they covet, the return to type A behavior. The net effect on total money in the system is zero, because they wouldn't have otherwise changed their behavior.

Meanwhile, some subset of type Bs don't give a darn about the stuff because it has no tangible impact on their uberness in PvP (or whatever they care about), and so they continue to suck money into the game. The B's who want the legacy items buy them, creating a small, temporary drop in money in the system, but continue type B behavior. They may even intensify their type B behavior to more quickly acquire the legacy items, or to avoid reducing credit balances, or for other psychological reasons. Over the short term, you reduce the amount of money in-game, but because there's nothing restricting the flow of money coming back into the game, the long-term effect is zero. It's conceivably even negative; if you make grinding more efficient (no seeking out repair stations, or having to go back to the Fleet to sell items), you're actually accelerating the rate money comes into the system.

If every type B is capable of injecting 250,000cr into the game every day, then within a week or a month you're back where you started. That's why they are expenses and not sinks; there's no continuous drain on assets. The source of game inflation has absolutely nothing to do with money sinks and everything to do with unlimited easy money.

The pricing mechanism isn't about some futile effort to inject sanity into a broken-by-design economic system, it's about converting as many of those Type As to Type Bs for as long as you can, because they extends subscriptions, which earns Bioware real-world money, of which there isn't an unlimited supply.

The question is, do the number of A's that become B's exceed the number of A's that quit altogether.

If they were smart, they'd give everyone X amount of Legacy currency per month of active subscription, with the option to buy more at an exchange rate of game currency to Legacy currency that fluctuates depending on demand. That would suck more money out of the Bs while encouraging the As to stick around. But still, so long as you've created a system where people can grind and inject insane amounts of credits into the system on a constant basis, you're never going to have it under control.

I am fine with it. It unlocks for every character you have on a server...plus it makes it alittle more 'pick and choose' with what your playstyle is and what you really want in game.

Example: Lets say they release new species' haircuts and a new companion customization; rather than have them both unlock at legacy level 5 (which people will eventually hit from leveling and doing everyday activities in the game), having to spend a large amount of credits on it makes us have to think 'do I really want that or this other thing?' Once you decide on it, you have a goal in spending/raising the credits for it...it makes it more special once it unlocks (and more unique towards what you want out of the game).

Plus I also see it as a way of being able to expand on the legacy system without having to increase the legacy level cap (too often).

Yes because the longevity of a MMO is to give out new content to players ASAP so they quit after a month. (Rolls eyes) wow you people are so freakin unbelievable its not even funny, you complain cause there is nothing to do, no goals. Bioware gives you goals to achieve and you whine about that. Holy god I hate this new generation of mmorpgers.

Why do so many people use the "you complain" thing when it's almost never the same people who said what you're using against them?

Plenty of people had goals, or still have them...that doesn't mean they're suddenly now whining about this, or if they are, what does that matter? This isn't content, it's convenience and novelty stuff that satisfies a minority, when these unlocks are probably better suited for casuals who might even be willing to pay real money for them to enhance their experience (and they will, from farmers).

I have to admit to being dismayed by this fact. It was my understanding coming away from watching the Guild Summit - and hearing Georg Zoeller's comment on players being able to pay or earn legacy rewards.

When the patch landed, it was clear that it was AND and not OR.

The numbers he presented on the economy, which was characterized as "successful," depicted an economy where 80% of players have under 450,000c. Not sure how this could be considered "successful" on any measure of real economic indicators. There simply is NO middle class. Yes, there are credits changing hands... but what does that mean in the macro sense of the economy on the whole?

If you examine real world economies, you see a much different picture of how per capita wealth develops over time. I draw your attention to the middle to the 2012 numbers. Notice the cluster?

http://www.gapminder.org/world/

Essentially the game has model in which 80% of the players are living in the Democratic Republic of Congo or below in relative wealth. Bioware's answer has been do introduce "credit sinks" to bleed/entice those 20% to become poorer. Why?

I would propose that this situation has been the result of Bioware's deliberate design of mass inflation during late level 45-50 transactions. Suddenly, quest rewards, grey's, and vendor prices become absurdly high - along with the associated sinks, such as skill and crew training and speeders.

This model may have mitigated some issues with credit farming exploits, but it also introduced an absurd economic model for the entire player base.

Legacy was a great opportunity to at least resolve some of the material good gaps, but in the end it too is being viewed as another credit sink. I'm disappointed.

Its unlocked if you play the char´s companions etc. to a certain lvl. I have not yet payed 1 credit and allready got a few things unlocked.

Its not the fault of BW that you want everything unlocked instantly without playing the specific quest´s, chars first.

It would be nice if people would stop spreading misinformation about what Georg Zoeller said at the Guild Summit. It was always a situation where you need the legacy level, whether you pay or unlock it. It just wouldn't be unlock condition and credits. It was never legacy level or credits. You just heard what you wanted to hear. Edited by MillionsKNives

That's an inane analogy.

It's not a money sink if people are engaging in repetitive behavior to create the money simply to hand it back to you.

There's two behavior patterns. Player Type A plays sporadically and is unconcerned with accumulating credits. Player B plays voraciously and accumulates wealth at an accelerated pace. Player Type A isn't contributing to economic inflation, but is greatly affected by it. Player B is contributing greatly to inflation, but is essentially unaffected by it.

Along come million-cred legacy items. Some small subset of Type A's, those who lust after those items and have the time and perseverance, become, for a time, Type B's. They start grinding, but it's a closed loop; virtually all of the money coming into the game goes right back out to Legacy purchases. Once these temporary Type B's have gotten what they covet, the return to type A behavior. The net effect on total money in the system is zero, because they wouldn't have otherwise changed their behavior.

Meanwhile, some subset of type Bs don't give a darn about the stuff because it has no tangible impact on their uberness in PvP (or whatever they care about), and so they continue to suck money into the game. The B's who want the legacy items buy them, creating a small, temporary drop in money in the system, but continue type B behavior. They may even intensify their type B behavior to more quickly acquire the legacy items, or to avoid reducing credit balances, or for other psychological reasons. Over the short term, you reduce the amount of money in-game, but because there's nothing restricting the flow of money coming back into the game, the long-term effect is zero. It's conceivably even negative; if you make grinding more efficient (no seeking out repair stations, or having to go back to the Fleet to sell items), you're actually accelerating the rate money comes into the system.

If every type B is capable of injecting 250,000cr into the game every day, then within a week or a month you're back where you started. That's why they are expenses and not sinks; there's no continuous drain on assets. The source of game inflation has absolutely nothing to do with money sinks and everything to do with unlimited easy money.

The pricing mechanism isn't about some futile effort to inject sanity into a broken-by-design economic system, it's about converting as many of those Type As to Type Bs for as long as you can, because they extends subscriptions, which earns Bioware real-world money, of which there isn't an unlimited supply.

The question is, do the number of A's that become B's exceed the number of A's that quit altogether.

If they were smart, they'd give everyone X amount of Legacy currency per month of active subscription, with the option to buy more at an exchange rate of game currency to Legacy currency that fluctuates depending on demand. That would suck more money out of the Bs while encouraging the As to stick around. But still, so long as you've created a system where people can grind and inject insane amounts of credits into the system on a constant basis, you're never going to have it under control.

THIS is exactly correct. Kudos, sir. You have eloquently explained why the pricing system is unbalanced.

I've been reading the forum comments in many threads, just to get a feel for the overall community's reaction to the 1.2 update. My observations lead me to believe that the community is VERY split on this.

1) A large number of people are very PISSED OFF about the pricing of Legacy items, as well as other restrictions that they were not expecting.

2) A large number of people like the changes, and see it as a sink, when as the poster above mentioned, it really does not achieve this goal.

The truth is, the current changes in the game as a whole (Legacy, PVP, Ops, etc) is a shift toward "Hardcore" gaming behavior. Long hours of repetitive behavior, or what most gamers define as "Grind". There are some people who enjoy this behavior. Others hate doing it. The current changes in the game have widened the gap between these two camps.

Ultimately, a game must find a balance between the two, and make both sides happy. The changes in 1.2 have FAILED to find this balance. If they had succeeded, these forums would not be exploding with so many vehemently opposing viewpoints.

I for one love to have a goal for my gameplay. I believe that whatever activity I choose to do, I should be rewarded for it. If I engage in some hardcore activity, I should get more rewards for the effort I put in. However, there comes a point where if it becomes TOO far out of reach to attain my goals, I will just drop playing altogether, and move on. Without balance, this will happen in any game.

The Legacy Level system (with earned 'XP' among all characters, even after Level 50) strikes a very good balance. You earn this for doing ALL things in the game. In short, playing it in whatever way YOU want to play. Ops, Warzones, Dailies, Questing, Exploring, etc. All these activities earn you Legacy XP. It rewards a player for being that... a player.

THIS is balanced.

However, earning money in SWTOR is not a balanced earnings system. Some activities (Daily quests) earn far more money than other activities (Exploring, for an extreme and hypothetical example). This means that people who enjoy the activity that is profitable have a better value for their Subscription $$$ than those who do not enjoy that activity. This rewards only a certain type of player.

This is NOT balanced.

Economically, casual gamers are more profitable for the company than hardcore gamers. They use less server time. More subscribers can be populated on the same amount of hardware, reducing overhead and operating expenses, yet they provide the same steady income as a higher-maintenance, resource-intensive player.

MMO's need Casual players to maintain the profitable cash flow to produce new content.

However, Casual players are flippant. They will drop their subscription far more easily than a 'Hardcore' player. Hardcore players are demanding, and drive the developers to push out new content, keep game balance issues in check, and overall, increase the quality of the game continuously, and keep the community vibrant and thriving.

MMO's need Hardcore players to keep the game a thriving and enjoyable product.

So what is my point?

Bioware needs both for SWTOR to become (and continue to be) a gaming and commercial success.

The point here is that our two camps, who either Love or Hate the new changes, are very vocal and have a large rift between them. This is not good for making the game more profitable, overall. It costs Bioware subscriptions, and proves the game is not balanced.

I don't claim to have all the answers, but Bioware cannot afford NOT to listen to both sides. If they are smart, and they really are listening to the community... changes that satisfy both camps will be quickly forthcoming. That doesn't mean everything should be free. It shouldn't. That doesn't mean it should be overwhelming to casual, non-daily-grinding players either.

The key point is BALANCE. Go back to the metrics. Study what the players are doing or not doing...and adjust. Maybe next week or the week after? Seems like a prudent thing to do. What really will prove Bioware's quality as a company, will be how they react to the feedback they are getting now.

Only time will tell.

(Edited to correct spelling mistake)

Edited by Broon_Khavar

That's an inane analogy.

Your premise is fundamentally flawed because you are assuming they aren't going add in things relevant to all player types, and that they cannot in future. Neither of these is a correct premise, so there's not much else to say.

Whether you take 10k per failure as repairs everyday or 500k for a mailbox on your ship every 50 you're still taking the same amount of cash out of the server. That money needs to be generated from somewhere, some people will do dailies, some will play the GTN etc. It gets money flowing, which is ultimately good for everyone, because even people who play casually want access to goods that will be produced as part of this flow of wealth, and will be able to sell items into the flow thereby enriching themselves.

All currencies work the same way... this is a well established problem that goes well beyond virtual currency.

THIS is exactly correct. Kudos, sir. You have eloquently explained why the pricing system is unbalanced.

I've been reading the forum comments in many threads, just to get a feel for the overall community's reaction to the 1.2 update. My observations lead me to believe that the community is VERY split on this.

1) A large number of people are very PISSED OFF about the pricing of Legacy items, as well as other restrictions that they were not expecting.

2) A large number of people like the changes, and see it as a sink, when as the poster above mentioned, it really does not achieve this goal.

The truth is, the current changes in the game as a whole (Legacy, PVP, Ops, etc) is a shift toward "Hardcore" gaming behavior. Long hours of repetitive behavior, or what most gamers define as "Grind". There are some people who enjoy this behavior. Others hate doing it. The current changes in the game have widened the gap between these two camps.

Ultimately, a game must find a balance between the two, and make both sides happy. The changes in 1.2 have FAILED to find this balance. If they had succeeded, these forums would not be exploding with so many vehemently opposing viewpoints.

I for one love to have a goal for my gameplay. I believe that whatever activity I choose to do, I should be rewarded for it. If I engage in some hardcore activity, I should get more rewards for the effort I put in. However, there comes a point where if it becomes TOO far out of reach to attain my goals, I will just drop playing altogether, and move on. Without balance, this will happen in any game.

The Legacy Level system (with earned 'XP' among all characters, even after Level 50) strikes a very good balance. You earn this for doing ALL things in the game. In short, playing it in whatever way YOU want to play. Ops, Warzones, Dailies, Questing, Exploring, etc. All these activities earn you Legacy XP. It rewards a player for being that... a player.

THIS is balanced.

However, earning money in SWTOR is not a balanced earnings system. Some activities (Daily quests) earn far more money than other activities (Exploring, for an extreme and hypothetical example). This means that people who enjoy the activity that is profitable have a better value for their Subscription $$$ than those who do not enjoy that activity. This rewards only a certain type of player.

This is NOT balanced.

Economically, casual gamers are more profitable for the company than hardcore gamers. They use less server time. More subscribers can be populated on the same amount of hardware, reducing overhead and operating expenses, yet they provide the same steady income as a higher-maintenance, resource-intensive player.

MMO's need Casual players to maintain the profitable cash flow to produce new content.

However, Casual players are flippant. They will drop their subscription far more easily than a 'Hardcore' player. Hardcore players are demanding, and drive the developers to push out new content, keep game balance issues in check, and overall, increase the quality of the game continuously, and keep the community vibrant and thriving.

MMO's need Hardcore players to keep the game a thriving and enjoyable product.

So what is my point?

Bioware needs both for SWTOR to become (and continue to be) a gaming and commercial success.

The point here is that our two camps, who either Love or Hate the new changes, are very vocal and have a large rift between them. This is not good for making the game more profitable, overall. It costs Bioware subscriptions, and proves the game is not balanced.

I don't claim to have all the answers, but Bioware cannot afford NOT to listen to both sides. If they are smart, and they really are listening to the community... changes that satisfy both camps will be quickly forthcoming. That doesn't mean everything should be free. It shouldn't. That doesn't mean it should be overwhelming to casual, non-daily-grinding players either.

The key point is BALANCE. Go back to the metrics. Study what the players are doing or not doing...and adjust. Maybe next week or the week after? Seems like a prudent thing to do. What really will prove Bioware's quality as a company, will be how they react to the feedback they are getting now.

Only time will tell.

(Edited to correct spelling mistake)

Best 2 posts ive ever read in these forums, you gents are the kinda posters i love :)

GJ to both of you !