Update on Ranked Warzones in Game Update 1.2

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i'm not a PVP fan but still...by doing so I'm pretty much sure they've lost a considerable number of subscribers . Unfortunetly they are like politicians , they promise a lot but do little but I guess Bioware is already half-way through hell since the moment they've signed with EA .

Actually warhammer online is not free to play. it's still going strong albeit anemic. Ironically it was bioware that killed WAR. They literally took all but 4 or 5 employees working on WAR and put them on swtor. I will never forgive them for that now giving how *********** abysmal swtor pvp is. At least warhammer had a chance at being a good game.

Actualy thats not correct, mythic kept most of there staff on war, EA saw what GOA were doing to warhammer by not keeping there contractual obligations for the servers so EA took as much out of war as they could whilst they did there best to get rid of GOA as they had not actualy broken anything on the contract by making sure the servers stayed up and by all the other stuff GOA did but they did the minimum required.

EA then placed all of mythic under the bioware house as they were then no longer part of the contract between EA and GOA which before when they were mythic they were part of the contract.

When EA finaly got rid of GOA they put nearly every mythic dev back onto warhammer apart from a select few like Gabe who were now an integral part of the team for SWTOR.

As for sever mergers within the 6 months ect, thats an incorret statement for a game going bad, WoW has been doing it for years and it not showing up by servers never getting shut. WoW gets away with looking like they have more per server by using multi server battlegroups, multi server lfg and i think even now multi server Raid finder.

Edited by Shingara

Q = quit ?

Or a cat (which I personally think is more likely).

But in all seriousness. I can only hope BW really realizes how this was kind of a...... poor choice of changes and is planning on hotpatching it next week. This really seems like a complete case of the right hand having no idea what the left hand is trying to do until its too late.

So.... fingers crossed that they actually know what they are doing enough to realize their mistakes.

Edited by Blaise

Your game developers have absolutely sucked at PVP development so far but the changes made in 1.2 have made painfully bad to absolutely horrific. I don't know where to start: Continually entering WZ's half-manned; On a heavily populated Imp server as Republic getting commendations and valor was hard enough before. We at least could deal with the pain to earn some commendations by the daily of 30 WZ's - That's now gone! Having 3 wins in 30 WZ's WAS typically what it took to get the second daily. NOW after hours of play and can't get 3 wins = SUCK CITY. The most frustrating though is constantly being pulled into WZ's and where Republic is losing and getting no valor and commendations after the time spent even with a couple awards. Time after time = no valor or commendations. Like I said you made PPVP (PAINFUL Player vs Player) unbearable. At lvl 78 I'm done! Fire your mexican developers and call Blizzard for some help!

You must have never been anywhere near software development in your life if you really believe that these things can't happen right down to the last minute. Not that that is overly terrible but as a developer myself, this type of thing can happen at any time. It isn't uncommon in the world of software development.

You are overreacting in a pretty big way just based on your flawed reasoning.

Whatever, you are snuffleufagus, Erickson is my brother (from another mother) and I'm still mad at him looooolo. You must have been near, and interacted with, the rayray home your whole life. Go back to your cubicle and do some more programming while I play my brother's (from another mother) game, angry.

Edited by stafaureus

Your game developers have absolutely sucked at PVP development so far but the changes made in 1.2 have made painfully bad to absolutely horrific. I don't know where to start: Continually entering WZ's half-manned; On a heavily populated Imp server as Republic getting commendations and valor was hard enough before. We at least could deal with the pain to earn some commendations by the daily of 30 WZ's - That's now gone! Having 3 wins in 30 WZ's WAS typically what it took to get the second daily. NOW after hours of play and can't get 3 wins = SUCK CITY. The most frustrating though is constantly being pulled into WZ's and where Republic is losing and getting no valor and commendations after the time spent even with a couple awards. Time after time = no valor or commendations. Like I said you made PPVP (PAINFUL Player vs Player) unbearable. At lvl 78 I'm done! Fire your mexican developers and call Blizzard for some help!

Oh man, I haven't thought about republic side. That must really stink and be no fun. At least with rateds, if you had a skilled team, you will still win despite being outgeared in the beginning. Sorry buddy. I would either roll imperial or roll out WoW again and do arenas.

i want to see 1000 pages cause maybe then they will listen

Nice thought but doubtful. I believe they are listening they just have created a very nice addition to the KOTOR family and placed it in an MMO Body. This really is not an MMO yet but they seem to be working on it.

It still lacks PVP content (and that is an understatement) as well as reasons for guilds to stick it out. Watching the numbers dwindle prior to hitting 6 months, and have game review webistes suggest server mergers, well......

SWG had a lot of faults, bugs and glitches but it had real MMO content. It was part SIM and had a sense of community prior to the NGE. This game really lacks ANY feel of community. Even when we are in war zones, it just feels like random imps we are fighting, not something we can set up open world PVP and fight against. Why don't they learn from what the other MMO's have done RIGHT and try to expand off of that?

The concept of war zones for end game gear is still BAD. Crafting is still gimped and again, there is no sense of community. And space, well.... X-wing vs. Tie fighter had better space combat feeling, lol.....

We shouldn't be surprised there's no real community in this game. It was developed from the ground up to primarily cater to the solo player. They spent a fortune making the game enjoyable for a casual solo player (cutscenes, voiceovers for class and side quests) but didn't put enough time/resources into developing anything large-scale.

Both Outlaw's Den and Ilum were complete failures and BW decided to shelve RvR and focus on instanced pvp. While the future of RvR is in doubt, maybe some time in the future it might come back.

Most planets were designed to completely segregate empire/republic as much as possible. This makes it easy for the solo player to do quests without having to worry about getting ganked but it also makes worlds feel lonely which further contributes to the lack of community.

In the first few weeks after release, there seemed to be a sense of community only because there were enough level congestion on planets to afford players the ability to group for heroics. It was easy to get heroic groups going then but once players started spreading out (especially after hitting 50 and rolling alts), that ability quickly died. Getting groups together became problematic to the point that it became nearly impossible (except for large guilds that had several members coordinating groups).

In the old days of MMOs, community was necessary for survival. UO was a classic example. Rarely, if ever, did you see solo players running around hitting dungeons because 1) the mobs were too hard to solo most of the time and 2) PKers were almost everywhere especially focusing on attacking small/weak groups or solo players. Everquest, while not a PvP game, also forced players to group up to advance. While there were some situations where a player could solo camp, those were rare with most situations requiring a full group just to solo mobs and large raids to kill bosses. You almost had to be a member of a large guild to do endgame content.

A lot of that changed with WoW offering more and more content to casual solo players. Warhammer was a two-fold issue where PvE was plentiful for solo players, but open PvP was geared to large groups which was pretty much the endgame. Rift also jumped on the casual solo player wagon with offering a lot of content that could be done solo or in small groups. While Rift had fairly decent raiding endgame, it further reinforced the notion that community wasn't necessary.

SWTOR has taken that to a much higher level with the bulk of the game, 1-49, completely doable solo. Not to mention all the cutscenes/voiceovers made it difficult to have a lot of cohesion with guilds using ventrilo as the voiceovers constantly interfered with vent chat. In older games, players congregated in vent but in SWTOR all too often players grabbed their own vent channel (if vent was required) so they didn't have to listen to vent chat and npc voice dialog at the same time.

To get community back, 1) the game needs to make that a primary goal, 2) quit making everything soloable, 3) less cutscene/voiceovers (or at least give players the ability to skip them entirely and not spacebar through them), 4) bring RvR back and 5) create specific subforums for servers and not group them like they are now.

I wasted over 1 hour of my life today on warzones... i dinged 50 today and started to pvp instant. The problem now is that most of the people i meet in warzones have played on their characters for a very long time so they have good gear. And since this ****** medal system is crap i wasted prolly 1 hour of my life cause i had bad gear and died all the time so i couldnt get up to 3 medals so i leave a warzone after 15min with absolute nothing but anger, disgust and despite...

I wasted over 1 hour of my life today on warzones... i dinged 50 today and started to pvp instant. The problem now is that most of the people i meet in warzones have played on their characters for a very long time so they have good gear. And since this ****** medal system is crap i wasted prolly 1 hour of my life cause i had bad gear and died all the time so i couldnt get up to 3 medals so i leave a warzone after 15min with absolute nothing but anger, disgust and despite...

^^

And also no rewards for joining games late. Max medals eligible for rewards is only 8, so if you have a better than average pvp proficiency. Really doesn't give any incentive for game play besides MBP votes.

We shouldn't be surprised there's no real community in this game. It was developed from the ground up to primarily cater to the solo player. They spent a fortune making the game enjoyable for a casual solo player (cutscenes, voiceovers for class and side quests) but didn't put enough time/resources into developing anything large-scale.

Both Outlaw's Den and Ilum were complete failures and BW decided to shelve RvR and focus on instanced pvp. While the future of RvR is in doubt, maybe some time in the future it might come back.

Most planets were designed to completely segregate empire/republic as much as possible. This makes it easy for the solo player to do quests without having to worry about getting ganked but it also makes worlds feel lonely which further contributes to the lack of community.

In the first few weeks after release, there seemed to be a sense of community only because there were enough level congestion on planets to afford players the ability to group for heroics. It was easy to get heroic groups going then but once players started spreading out (especially after hitting 50 and rolling alts), that ability quickly died. Getting groups together became problematic to the point that it became nearly impossible (except for large guilds that had several members coordinating groups).

In the old days of MMOs, community was necessary for survival. UO was a classic example. Rarely, if ever, did you see solo players running around hitting dungeons because 1) the mobs were too hard to solo most of the time and 2) PKers were almost everywhere especially focusing on attacking small/weak groups or solo players. Everquest, while not a PvP game, also forced players to group up to advance. While there were some situations where a player could solo camp, those were rare with most situations requiring a full group just to solo mobs and large raids to kill bosses. You almost had to be a member of a large guild to do endgame content.

A lot of that changed with WoW offering more and more content to casual solo players. Warhammer was a two-fold issue where PvE was plentiful for solo players, but open PvP was geared to large groups which was pretty much the endgame. Rift also jumped on the casual solo player wagon with offering a lot of content that could be done solo or in small groups. While Rift had fairly decent raiding endgame, it further reinforced the notion that community wasn't necessary.

SWTOR has taken that to a much higher level with the bulk of the game, 1-49, completely doable solo. Not to mention all the cutscenes/voiceovers made it difficult to have a lot of cohesion with guilds using ventrilo as the voiceovers constantly interfered with vent chat. In older games, players congregated in vent but in SWTOR all too often players grabbed their own vent channel (if vent was required) so they didn't have to listen to vent chat and npc voice dialog at the same time.

To get community back, 1) the game needs to make that a primary goal, 2) quit making everything soloable, 3) less cutscene/voiceovers (or at least give players the ability to skip them entirely and not spacebar through them), 4) bring RvR back and 5) create specific subforums for servers and not group them like they are now.

I disagree with all of this. The game is fine in its current state and will continue to knock off MMO's like WoW and GW2. No improvement needed. BioWare, trust me on this one.

^^

And also no rewards for joining games late. Max medals eligible for rewards is only 8, so if you have a better than average pvp proficiency. Really doesn't give any incentive for game play besides MBP votes.

MVP, not man bear pig LOL

OK let's take for granted that by now the overall consensus is that your development group has no fricking clue as to what they are doing when it comes to pvp. So here's some suggestions: Hot Fix WZ's to what they were before you REALLY screwed them up w/1.2 patch. They really sucked but they REALLY REALLY REALLY SUCK NOW! the 3 medal system kills players on overpopulated unbalanced servers as does WZ's that start half manned and then get cancelled. Players should never be pulled into a WZ and get NO coms, no valor, no XP, and no credits. Restore ability to get some coms and valor credit for Number of WZ's played - win or lose (i.e. daily). Then hire some peeps that know what the hell they're doing and have played PVP to get the WZ issues fixed. Edited by Ancientsone

1 Medal recieved when the other side were using hacks and cheats against us. Absolutley no point playing now OR PAYING after the free 30 days and as for the free 30 days, Lost Interest and don't care. Roll on TSW and GW2

i saved up 2000 ranked warzone tokens, but the vendor wont sell me the war hero boots. I have the bm boots and thee 2k ranked tokens, but vendor says 'cannot afford the item'.

Whats the point of doing wz if theres no reward after bm available?

i saved up 2000 ranked warzone tokens, but the vendor wont sell me the war hero boots. I have the bm boots and thee 2k ranked tokens, but vendor says 'cannot afford the item'.

Whats the point of doing wz if theres no reward after bm available?

Take the BM ones off first :)

Jakoby, the great swammy is now going to predict what WILL happen in ranked warzones as the game mechanic is working (or not) now.

1) Quality players will ONLY group with pre-made groups.

2) Solo groups will be bad, so bad in fact that people will drop as fast as they can to avoid a loss or a face roll to tarnish their record.

3) Groups will be completely unbalanced as the game mechanic has NOT been fixed alowing uneven teams at the outstart of the match.

4) The game match-up system simply won't work because their is such a faction imbalance that the Republic will constantly be paired with pre-mades and stomped into the dirt.

5) There are far too many players using Cheat Engines to hack the game. There is no way I'm going to do a ranked war zone until this problem is corrected.

Look I hate to say it but Expertise is the problem, it gives far too much advantage. I loved PvP until 50. After that it simply sucks bad.

The other part of the problem is the Empire has got the cool factor going for them. The mechanics of the Operative is better than the scoundrel, much better. Same of the Marauder and Mercenary. If you play Republic, you have to reayy want to becasue the Empire is far superior.

Edited by Jakoby

This is VERY MUCH NEEDED for all those light servers that can barely ever get a PvP match so I suggest you add it because my server, Krayiss Obelisk, is practically dying because we can't get a good pvp match that will actually last as long as it should, so please consider adding cross server pvp or interserver pvp to the ranked pvp matches:(Thank You for hopefully considering it:) Edited by jedi_code_foeva