Swtor's current stance on server population.11 April

DarthDetonate

Q: Is there any discussion of merging servers or adding incentives to move players to low pop servers?

A: JO: No, we’re not going to. Merging servers is not something we are looking at. We have a very healthy game right now, so that is not something we are looking at in the near future. We're always going to look at ways to make sure a server is healthy. There are a whole bunch of different ways you can do that. We're discussing them. We want to make sure players feel like there are enough players on their server to play with.

Seems about right. If they offer paid server transfers, it solves the issue in a better way for them.

1. people willingly transfer, so they accept the possibility of having to rename characters

2. bioware gets to charge for the service

3. bioware avoids the bad press from merging servers

4. bioware has control of who can transfer and to what server.

It avoids major headaches for them and they get to charge for it.

We have a very healthy game right now

Login to my server any time of the day and tell me it's "healthy". It's dead.

This is just marketing speak, giving comments that will convince anyone not playing the game all is just peachy. Pathetic.

Login to my server any time of the day and tell me it's "healthy". It's dead.

This is just marketing speak, giving comments that will convince anyone not playing the game all is just peachy. Pathetic.

this.

On "The Corsair" during prime time i see at best maybe 10-20 people max in the base social areas (namely the fleets) and at best 2-13 or so planet side... usually less than 10 though..

and ALL servers are labeled "LIGHT" for their populations..

general chat is empty, finding grps is harder than ever given the few players that are in are usually spaced out rather well in level regards..

i'd say a server merge should be coming.. that or an actual F2P release, cause this game has fewer people running around in its "populated" zones than older than sin titles like Everquest..

Seems about right. If they offer paid server transfers, it solves the issue in a better way for them.

1. people willingly transfer, so they accept the possibility of having to rename characters

Pretty much this.

Bioware may say the population is “fine” but I have had two friends quit the game because the place was “empty”. They wanted to play with other players, but they rarely saw anybody. I did go and help them, but my level was so far over theirs, it was no fun. All I could do was follow them around and rescue them if they accidentally got into a fight with more MOB’s then they intended.

I would prefer to be doing RP with other players, but I rarely see anybody.

There is defiantly a problem with players being too scattered across planets and servers.

The planet I was on today had 9 people at most, a few times it dropped down to 7. On that HUGE planet I never did see any of the other 8 people, could not even /wave to anyone. The other day rerolled on another server (the fatman), it had lots of people, so many people that it felt like a mmo and not a single player game. Now I think it has Zero population.:D

Funny thing about taking a sample... you can't just take your own server's population and assume it's the same game wide. Yes there are a lot of servers that are pretty much dead, but there are a whole lot that have a healthy population and a few that are pretty much bursting with people.

I'd suggest rolling an alt on the server you intend to transfer to. That way you can unlock your legacy, allowing you to basically reserve the name, and you get to enjoy the game the way it is meant to be enjoyed.

Funny thing about taking a sample... you can't just take your own server's population and assume it's the same game wide. Yes there are a lot of servers that are pretty much dead, but there are a whole lot that have a healthy population and a few that are pretty much bursting with people.

You're right. There's some servers that are fine. But that's the whole point of merging servers. You smash together two servers with half the normal population and you get one decent sized server.

I'm just worried about how much that service will cost.

3 of the only guilds on Republic Death Wind Corridor all unsubbed today....come 1.2 tommorrow around 8pm we will have about 5-6 people on the fleet and no im not kidding...this is not healthy size server....and what are those 5-6 50's going to do??log out from boredom??what are the imperials going to do???fight eachother all day???Either show us data on these so called "lolhealthy" server numbers or start merges before your game goes free to play in a couple of months because i can guarentee you Star wars come april 30th will have less than 500k subs and a dead game..There are only a whopping 3 American servers that aren't listed as Light at prime time in the U.S. so where the hell is this big healthy server fest?!?! Edited by warkat

The planet I was on today had 9 people at most, a few times it dropped down to 7. On that HUGE planet I never did see any of the other 8 people, could not even /wave to anyone. The other day rerolled on another server (the fatman), it had lots of people, so many people that it felt like a mmo and not a single player game. Now I think it has Zero population.:D

Hate to say it but that has little to do wtih server population. I am a a server that is always high population or more.

The problem is most planets only caters to about 4 to 5 levels, so people move on quickly. Its poor game design not bad servers.

Hate to say it but that has little to do wtih server population. I am a a server that is always high population or more.

The problem is most planets only caters to about 4 to 5 levels, so people move on quickly. Its poor game design not bad servers.

bro story bro...in the first starter planets tonight there was 12-15 people on each on death wind corridor east republic side...I log into the Fatman and there is 250 on the first 4-5 and why is that??? because all the people on the Light servers which really should be lableled as DEAD if the thing was honest dont want to play on a dead server with 10 people on their fleet so they rerolled to the fatman or ajunta pal..

I'd suggest rolling an alt on the server you intend to transfer to. That way you can unlock your legacy, allowing you to basically reserve the name, and you get to enjoy the game the way it is meant to be enjoyed.

i dont agree with u at all. reroll on a different server after u spend a month leveling a character to 50 now u just got to start over because they have to many servers that have died??? this isnt a free monthly game. you pay to play every month they should have free character transfer for the dead servers to a certain server to solve this problem not just not deal with the obvious problem and make people either reroll on a defferent server so they make that extra 15 dollars it would take u to lvl to 50 or just quit playing. not very many people are going to just reroll on a different server they will just stop playing.

everyone is on the fatman..I belive this is what they are genrating ..healthy pop....on.

This is my 3rd server reroll from 2 dying out servers.

They have no desire to give let alone bring server transfers as it would mess up their legacy system.

My advice. Cut your loss on the dying server and merg to a "healthy" one or come to the fatman if your into pvp. Ive seena few pve server that are "healthy".

Long story short..i dont care about legacy because of the games lack of willing to work with the player instead of claiming theres "healthy" servers.

In my honest opinion as a player and consumer, this game is going down hill fast. The track record with this DEV is allready spoty and getting worse each time they claim to do somthing.

Meh its 2012 almost summer time and theres plenty of new games coming.

Bioware you better start listening to players or this game is done and any future i dare say kotor games.

Let me just make it perfectly clear to everyone reading this thread that having paid transfers with the same price range that World of Warcraft does is simply unacceptable.

Character transfers in WoW take ~15 seconds, meaning it's entirely automated. This proves that this technology is available and charging $15 US for that is money grubbing. I don't know what type of system SWTOR's character transfers will use but I can tell you if they end up charging more than $10 US for it then they're doing something wrong.

What server someone plays on an MMO directly effects their enjoyment of the game. A player should not be exploited and made to pay through the nose to transfer their character over to a server that their friends play on.

If EA/Bioware are worried about players transferring too often, they can add a cooldown system to transfers and charge them a reasonable amount ($5-8 US) to reset it.

I just hope Bioware/EA don't screw this feature up when they decide to add it.

is there any page, that I can see how many players/toons are on server ?

I am playing on Whitebeam run and I think, this server is really low on population. Usualy I am playing afternoon, in rare ocassion late, but I never saw more than 20 players online. Except Dromund Kaas

What is really sad is that a friend and I from the US made characters on an Aussie server because they actually have more people on during their non-peak than we do during peak. It is pathetic. The problem Bio-ware has with the idea of server merge or closing servers is that it is seen as a weakness, or a failure of the game. Only games that are declining in membership close down servers. This is a catch-22 though because if they don't do something about server population numbers, the game will stall.

A great example of this was the US guild I was in. We were regularly doing hard mode EV 8 and working on a 16 man core group when fewer and fewer people seemed to be logging in. Without endgame that requires more than a single night to finish, it left people with very little to do for the rest of the week. Those of us who PVP'd would queue up, but those queues grew too long without cross-server warzones and running hard mode flashpoints was also very difficult. I had great difficulty just finding a group to do my daily hard mode and I was a tank and I did it with my friend and he was healing.

My point is consolidating the servers is not the only thing that will fix these issues, endgame needs some work, like a raid with more than 5 bosses that can be done in 1 3 hour session. cross server pvp would help too, and some people might flay me for this cross server LFG for instances would help a ton as well.

I have two characters on the Begeren Colony and I have noticed a slight population dip yet there are still a lot of people. I logged in yesterday and went to Taris where there were 30 people. There were 30ish on Nar Shadda and there was over 50 on Tatooine. Furthermore, the Republic Fleet is usually pretty healthy and is usually around 120-150 people. Sure the population has decreased some, but for a majority of the game it is still fine. My sever status as of right now says light, but that will change by tonight. The population is over 3 million across the board and I am fine with that.