why is my launcher allready downloading patch?

jersyiii

They need to not remove the special vendors and give us another day/week to buy our Champion/Cneturion gear. I am so pissed off at this. Not just the screw up but their jerky cavallier attitude about it like it's no big deal. Many of us can't get the preparations done for 1.2 that we need to complete due to NO fault of our own.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone, we do apologize for the inconvenience if you have been affected by this issue.

I wanted to update to emphasize that, if you want to cancel a re-download of of the client, you must do so in the first downloading phase (the 11GB phase). If the patcher reaches an "installing" phase, you will need to complete the redownload and patch tomorrow. If you stop the download during this downloading phase, you will be able to play 1.2 tomorrow when it is deployed.

To clarify: if we finish the download and get to the install phase, we will need to do it again tomorrow, plus the patch?

If that is the case, you may want to reiterate to everyone having this issue that if they complete the re-download in order to play today that THEY WILL HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN TOMORROW TOO.

Please feel free to correct me if my assumption is wrong. While I have a pretty good grasp of what happened, the given "solutions" aren't as clear as they should be.

I´m guessing some server technician made a mistake with mixing up AM and PM since it happened at that time and that is not strange since the patch notes are a bit confusing (0701 CEST April 11):

"We will be bringing down servers for eight hours on April 12th, 2012 from 12:01AM CDT (April 11th, 10:01PM PDT/1:01AM EDT/6:01AM BST/7:01AM CEST/3:01PM AEST)"

But it was just a small minority of the player base right? Surely their patchers should be able to keep up with such a small amount.

It's just a small amount. Hardly noticeable. I'm sure it will be fine!

Download speeds surely won't drop steadily down and then crash with this minor, small mount of negligible people affected.

Hey everyone, sorry for the brief confusion. Here’s what happened and how it affects you.

Some patch-related changes were mistakenly deployed early. Luckily, these changes only affected players for a very brief (less than 15-minute) window. We corrected this unintentional change very quickly.

Here’s how it affects you:

If you started or completed the patch download, you have two options:

• If you want to continue playing today, you will need to restart your client and re-download the client
  • If you want to wait until tomorrow and play when 1.2 is deployed to the servers, you can close your client and restart it tomorrow after the patch is deployed (approximately 8AM CDT).

We apologize for the confusion, but only a very small number of players were affected by this unintentional change. Thank you for your understanding.

I've been enjoying the game for what it is (though saddened by how short it fell from the "original vision" that this company presented it to be), and I will continue to enjoy it for a time alongside my family.

That being said, I find it absolutely disappointing that it seems Bioware has just fallen apart. Releasing patch notes that aren't applicable, retracting options from the graphics options window, proclaiming that well documented performance issues are a matter of people with outdated hardware/drivers, developers saying things that are in absolute contradiction to each other, and now a patch released too early that "only affected a few", as if that somehow makes it excusable.

Honestly, who is minding the shop there? This whole ordeal smacks of complete disorganization. Bugs in coding, broken features, graphic errors. That is to be expected. But this other Comedy of Errors stuff is what might be excused from a start up, not a developer with such a long and rich history.

I hope you guys start getting it together soon. I want this game to succeed, I want to be able to enjoy other Bioware titles as the years roll by. I don't want you to become another Sony.

• Dev Post
To clarify: if we finish the download and get to the install phase, we will need to do it again tomorrow, plus the patch?

If you get to an install phase while re-downloading the full client, you'll just need to let your re-download complete. Tomorrow, you'll only need to download the 1.2 patch (around 1 GB).

Edited by AllisonBerryman

Im not that stupid, but tbh since the other download people keep going on about doesnt seem to be moving for me im a bit unsure exactly *** i need to do

You could also try to Torrent the DL from a somewhat SAFE source or scan it after DL as well. That would be much faster and not associated with biowares servers. (Obviously bioware will not tell you to do this as it contains a risk of getting a virus and such due to torrents. Just be smart about it please...)

i have the same problems with the patch, so i decided to deinstall and reinstall my disk version

but now my computer doesnt run the exe when i want to start it. i tryed with several other games i have and the go through the install just fine so if anyone has an fix for me not being able to install swtor agian plz tell me

Probably the Indian or Chinese dev guys oversees that got the times mixed up....I dont blame them...working long shift, with little sleep and low pay ;).

Try employing people who can tell the difference between AM and PM when setting the time at which the patch files for 1.2 become downloadable.

I'm pretty sure the reason people patched to 1.2 is because the launcher contacted the servers and was told that 1.2 was live (because the patch was set for 12:01PM when it should've been set for 12:01AM), so it went ahead and merged 1.2 content into the asset files.

10 minutes later suddenly we're back in 1.1.5 and we can't unmerge 1.2 out of the asset files and have to redownload the entire game client.

Nice option try to re download the game at a 300 kb/s or getting error downloading. You do now how to please your costumers. 1.2 gave me hope for this game, but now it's just an other screw up and the costumer support in this is also horrified. Again get your act together and please what can you guys do to compensate those who are affected.

I find it hard to believe BW doesn't have some patch remover available used by their developers during the making of this patch. The decent thing to do would be to provide the unlucky "handful" with some means to rollback. I have been working for 9 hours today, and have about 4 hours free time to play..downloading the entire client at 1000 kb/s would take me about 3 hours..I'm sure BW could come up with a solution within that time frame.

I´m guessing some server technician made a mistake with mixing up AM and PM since it happened at that time and that is not strange since the patch notes are a bit confusing (0701 CEST April 11):

"We will be bringing down servers for eight hours on April 12th, 2012 from 12:01AM CDT (April 11th, 10:01PM PDT/1:01AM EDT/6:01AM BST/7:01AM CEST/3:01PM AEST)"

Then they are really not paying attention since the date is totally different regardless of the time.

Lol I think I smell troll.. People have every darn right to do whatever they want regardless of your own agenda, situation, thoughts, or feelings on the matter. The OP you were referring to wasn't even in regard to HAVING the login problem.. Although, it was referring to people that MAY have that problem. I think you need to try to be abit more open minded.

Choices/actions have consequences. IF they have terrible internet AND they buy digital version only THEN they get to waste alot of their time every time they have to reinstall.

They can learn from the lesson and get a box, or get better internet, or just flail about and call people on internet trolls, they have a "darn right to do whatever they want." However some responses would be more productive than others.

Finally BioWare put up a login warning on the launcher, only problem is their update server is overwhelmed with people that were affected, hate to say from the looks of it their "short period of effect" on users was MOST of the users!

Well, my game is broke, and I can't seem to get it to work anymore. Keep getting errors when it tries to download. I guess I'll just have to wait for next week until I get another chance for a marathon game session. What a waste of time this has been. Thanks.

i have the same problems with the patch, so i decided to deinstall and reinstall my disk version

but now my computer doesnt run the exe when i want to start it. i tryed with several other games i have and the go through the install just fine so if anyone has an fix for me not being able to install swtor agian plz tell me

I'd suggest a full PC reboot as well as making sure you go directly to the directory and run Launcher.exe and see if it will work. If it doesn't I would suggest Uninstalling again, rebooting, and trying again perhaps.

Hi Allison. Well, I am one of the affected here, and I am not happy about the error. Now, why when I try to re-download the client (the famous 11GB) I can only do so at crawling speeds. I have a 40mb connection and can only download the client at an average of 150-350kb? I donwloaded the mistaken patch at 3.9MB, so I dont see the difference. You made a mistake. I get that, I am not happy about it, but I get that. If one of the resolutions ot the problem is to re-dowload tge whole client, then why are you throttling the download?

Thank you for your time.

I'm in the same situation.

But BW thinks it's ok because there are only few of us, and we can install from a physical copy which I don't have because I purchased a digital copy (silly me)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman

More information based on questions we're seeing frequently:

1. If you are currently re-downloading the client, and are in the "downloading" phase (not the "installing" phase), you can exit the launcher to interrupt this download and play 1.2 tomorrow without having to complete it.

2. It is fine to log in and play normally right now - the window in which players could be affected was brief.

3. If you started or completed the download and want to play today, you can re-install from your physical discs (but you will need to patch up to 1.1.5, the most recent live version).

4. If you re-download the client today, you will not have to re-download the full client tomorrow.

Finally BioWare put up a login warning on the launcher, only problem is their update server is overwhelmed with people that were affected, hate to say from the looks of it their "short period of effect" on users was MOST of the users!

A more logical explanation would be that their update server is optimized to deploy 1.2 patch, and they had no way of anticipating any significant amount of users having to re-download the entire game.

Then they are really not paying attention since the date is totally different regardless of the time.

Well as you can see there are 2 dates in that info, so following that information it should actually have been patched 0701 CEST this morning

I find it hard to believe BW doesn't have some patch remover available used by their developers during the making of this patch. The decent thing to do would be to provide the unlucky "handful" with some means to rollback. I have been working for 9 hours today, and have about 4 hours free time to play..downloading the entire client at 1000 kb/s would take me about 3 hours..I'm sure BW could come up with a solution within that time frame.

If them can't make a patch remover then just put out a new patch (1.2a) and restore the game to the files to its old state.... I can't believe BW have not done this solution...

(Not 100% sure if this is for only Digital DL's or not.) You can try going to My Account on top of your screen and see if it lets you DL the Client, or like I said earlier if you purchased through Origin and such use their launcher to DL it.