No Auto Attack- good or bad idea

fungihoujo

So the game's been out for a few months now- and long before we were told again and again how great it was that the game wouldn't have auto attack- every time you attack, you're hitting a button.

So has it been good for you? Do you enjoy having that extra button you have to press every few seconds for an auto attack rather than having it built in?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the game's been out for a few months now- and long before we were told again and again how great it was that the game wouldn't have auto attack- every time you attack, you're hitting a button.

So has it been good for you? Do you enjoy having that extra button you have to press every few seconds for an auto attack rather than having it built in?

It's the way SWTOR's mechanics work - every ability you use triggers the global cool-down unless otherwise stated. In that sense, auto-attack doesn't exist in SWTOR.

However, I'd be more than happy if they included a function that, on activation, would automatically cast the default 'auto-attack' repeatedly upon engaging a target without having me to click it.

The only attacks I use are my skills or abilities (whatever you want to call them), I didn't even know that there's a generic "attack" skill to replace the auto-attacks in most other games. Regardless, I haven't missed it, mobs are easy enough to kill as-is. Certainly no harder than in any other MMO I've played.

It's the way SWTOR's mechanics work - every ability you use triggers the global cool-down unless otherwise stated. In that sense, auto-attack doesn't exist in SWTOR.

this is exactly like most games with an auto attack as well.

What is the point of auto-attack? In WoW there is no animation for auto-attack when another skill is displaying an animation. I always just thought of it as bad implementation of a normal attack. SWTOR corrected this in my opinion.

Do you people like invisible attacks? What does it exactly add to the game?

I'm lost.

Edited by EnsignSorrow

Auto attacks don't really mechanically add much. If most classes had them and one didn't it would be problematic, but as 'auto attacks' were only about 20% of your damage in wow removing auto attack and scaling everything down works as well.

If you *have* auto attack on some classes then there is an incentive to stay in melee or the like, whereas other classes don't have that (because they only consume resources).

Really, either system can work fine, it just needs to be one or the other, I think blizzard realized that if everyone else is going to have auto attack then monks need to as well, whereas with swtor if no one has auto attack no one needs it.

All you really get out of auto attacks is padding for facing the right way at the right time, I guess that's ok, but given that everything else relies on that too, it's not all that important.

Auto-attack dilutes the game, imho. A player character should never be out of the player's direct control, randomly swinging away. I'm just not a fan of the auto-attack.

Not really. Lets say they add auto attack to a sentinel that does 10% of my damage for me.

If I fight another sentinel we are both going to do 10% damage to each other and they cancel each other out. The only thing that matters is the buttons we are pushing

What did i change here game play wise??? Basically nothing.

Auto attack is used to reduce spike damage. A percent of you damage is a steady flow on the enemy HP bar. Instead of comming off in huge chucks when you attack with an ability.

And

To make sure you toon always looks like his is doing something. He is not just standing they like a fool in between ability clicks. THIS IS THE BIG ONE. It's the reason Melee is usually the class that gets it. Because casters have casting animations to make them look busy in between abilities.

In the end the game play is the same, though

Edited by Lt_Latency

No auto attack is fine with me, i never used it in games that did have it.

Im actually curious why would someone use auto-attack or why would they want it.

If clicking on some hotbar icons is too much effort for some people, i think they have a serious problem.

to make sure you toon always looks like his is doing something. He is not just standing they like a fool in between ability clicks. THIS IS THE BIG ONE. It's the reason Melee is usually the class that gets it. Because casters have casting animations to make them look busy in between abilities.

i can mostly agree with this point. in both wow and rift i didnt/dont enjoy melee nearly as much. the auto attack vs non auto attack makes all of the difference to me. combat feels better here.

this is exactly like most games with an auto attack as well.

maybe, but I don't believe it was like that in WoW - for the non-casters at least - where say, a warrior, could auto-attack AND use mortal strike at the same time.

Not sure if they fixed it yet, but in SWTOR they even have issues with the jedi knight's riposte not being executed properly.

To make sure you toon always looks like his is doing something. He is not just standing they like a fool in between ability clicks. THIS IS THE BIG ONE. It's the reason Melee is usually the class that gets it. Because casters have casting animations to make them look busy in between abilities.

My guardian seems pretty busy every time in combat. It is a matter of game mechanic. There are plenty of games without auto attack. Plus basic melee abilities in SWTOR, that build and use rage, usually are only on global cooldown (not like the wow's paladin for example - the basic crusader strike is on 4,5 sec cd), so i think SWTOR dsnt need auto atack at all. Plus the animations in SWTOR are long enough, in combat ur char always seems busy, at least for me :rolleyes:

After playing with auto attack for years, i dont miss it.There was an issue with spammers but they get steamrolled rather easy now since they have no idea what to do once their i win button doesnt work...lol!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.