The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Who here is completely satisfied with the Light/Dark Side Allignment system?

JoshRollins

First off, you max out light/dark waaay too quickly. Chances are your Allignment will be maxed out on one side by the time you complete your story but I guess that isn't such a big deal seeing as how there are like no rewards for having a maxed out a allignment late game.

You can buy....... Relics that are outclassed by even centurian relics, boots and gloves but no chest to match and no augment slots (soon to be a big deal), an unempressive vehicle, and uh.... A mini pet?

Just curious to see how many of you actually like the current system.

Edited by JoshRollins

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always room for improvement.

I would love to be able to turn my companions either light or dark and have it actually affect their characteristics.

For example Vette starts off light, through alot of hard work and manipulation I can turn her dark and she will go from disaproving when I senselessly kill someone to enjoying it.

Maybe thats a bit dark :confused:

I'm not happy with the current system at all. I have proposed my solution on another thread (LS/DS alignment Improvements) and tried to get a response from the dev's in the weekly Q/A sessions asking simply, "are there any plans to improve lightside vs darkside alignment rewards?"

I've suggested interchangeable casts/abilities with mirror class based on different ranks. To explain a little further, lets say that at a rank of dark I, a jedi sage would get to swap telekentic throw for sith sorc force lightning (each rank, II, III, IV, & so on might unlock one more optionally swappable abilities up to light/dark 5, strictly between mirror abilities/classes). I would love to see something along those lines to make dark jedi / moral sith have a more authentic lightside vs darkside experience!!! It would really add to depth, immersion, customization, and authenticity of each characters experience.

Edited by AdamGe

I'm not happy with the current system at all. I have proposed my solution on another thread (LS/DS alignment Improvements) and tried to get a response from the dev's in the weekly Q/A sessions asking simply, "are there any plans to improve lightside vs darkside alignment rewards?"

I've suggested interchangeable casts/abilities with mirror class based on different ranks. To explain a little further, lets say that at a rank of dark I, a jedi sage would get to swap telekentic throw for sith sorc force lightning (each rank, II, III, IV, & so on might unlock one more optionally swappable abilities up to light/dark 5, strictly between mirror abilities/classes). I would love to see something along those lines to make dark jedi / moral sith have a more authentic lightside vs darkside experience!!! It would really add to depth, immersion, customization, and authenticity of each characters experience.

uh... you do know that those abilities are not nessesarily (sp) bound to your force alignment, don't you?

Always room for improvement.

I would love to be able to turn my companions either light or dark and have it actually affect their characteristics.

For example Vette starts off light, through alot of hard work and manipulation I can turn her dark and she will go from disaproving when I senselessly kill someone to enjoying it.

Maybe thats a bit dark :confused:

I like this idea! Well, maybe not poor Vette (or Mako!) but this has definite potential. Maybe post over in Suggestions?

uh... you do know that those abilities are not nessesarily (sp) bound to your force alignment, don't you?

Yes, of course.. currently they are bound to your class. What I am suggesting is take them away from specific classes and make them available to either MIRROR class as unlockable abilities based on your alignment. That way, players can choose their abilities based on the alignment of their toon.

People have always had issues with the LS/DS system, even back in the KOTOR days. The problem with the system though is that you're never going to make everyone happy. People who max out LS/DS gear complain that the gear rewards the recieve aren't good enough. Neutrals complain they aren't catered to at all. Some believe a stat bonus should come with neutral/light V/dark V. Some believe that light siders should get a cosmetic change similar to Sith Corruption. Others insist that it should be purely an alignment tracker and that bonus gear shouldn't be dependant on alignment.

In regards to the question posed as the thread title, 'Who here is completely satisfied with the Light/Dark Side Allignment system?', I would say some, but not all. However, we should also ask ourselves if it's possible to make everyone happy with the alignments system, and I don't think we can.

Yes, of course.. currently they are bound to your class. What I am suggesting is take them away from specific classes and make them available to either MIRROR class as unlockable abilities based on your alignment. That way, players can choose their abilities based on the alignment of their toon.

I'm speaking of lore, not this game. (granted this game is a bit 'fishy' with lore since you can't actually switch sides, which is a whole other topic)

Having done one Jedi Dark and another Light I gotta say I hated the Dark so much in terms of the brutal decision making, which wasn't clever, it was as I say just brutal, and probably runs against everything I have ever played in a game.... I just started over as Light and feel much better. Added to the fact my Dark got the decimel point bug and now stands at something like 3009.10097867773 Dark. The GM says they know about it but won't be fixing soon and after all it is only 'Cosmetic'. So I thought if thats the case why bother. I will go back to that Dark Jedi which is on 25 and level the other half Light and see if I can get back to zero to square the maths.

Thing that got me the most was having to kill that poor girl who just had her mother die. I mean come on guys what kind of people do you think we are... Rewards for murder. Very good.. er NOT.

Thing that got me the most was having to kill that poor girl who just had her mother die. I mean come on guys what kind of people do you think we are... Rewards for murder. Very good.. er NOT.

*snaps the neck a Republic Trooper*

Hey man, if you don't have the stones for evil....

*bisects a Smuggler with dual lightsabers*

.....that's your deal. But don't sit there and bag on-excuse me.

*grabs a Jedi by the throat and slams him into a wall*

As I was saying, don't bag on our way of doing things. I do my job, I should be rewarded.

First off, you max out light/dark waaay too quickly. Chances are your Allignment will be maxed out on one side by the time you complete your story

I'm very happy with this.

I don't feel forced to take a Light Side or Dark Side choice simply because that's the choice that rewards the points.

If you're going through the game completely neglecting the storylines and just choosing whatever rewards you the most alignment points, you're missing the best part of the game.

/me nods. It needs to be "possible" to max out light or dark quickly... because the most rewarding gameplay doesn't involve someone taking *all* light or *all* dark, all the time. The storyline involves your character *changing* as they go through it. Of course, there are patches where you'll go one way or another- due to current storyline events, I consider my Inquisitor (on Belsavis currently) to be both a sadistic sociopath and, currently, psychotically insane (

Having four angry ghosts inside your head doesn't do much for your rational decision making processes)

- but, none the less, even *she* made a couple of light side choices on Hoth,

partly because if you need an archaeologist's help, telling him that you can't let him have a couple of minutes to take holorecordings before you trash a set of priceless historical relics would be really, really stupid, and additionally because she simply liked Talos, and wanted to indulge him.

, furthermore, she made light side choices *fairly* frequently until

Kallig started to drop hints to her about Zash's impending betrayal in Act I

, which sent her into a bit of a moral tailspin of nihilistic venom, and even now,

she resisted the ghost-fuelled impulse to attack the Nikto slicers, because she's *tired* of having her anger used to manipulate her by others, be they Zash, Thanaton, the ghosts... anyone.

She's a thoroughly nasty piece of work... but that doesn't equate to auto-darkside evlulz all the time.

Playing all of one side all the time is just going to be dull- so the alignment system needs to be flexible enough, as it is, that you can play in shades of grey and still get a meaningful overall alignment- and that's going to mean that if someone plays their character as a two-dimensional moustache twirling engine of frothing puppy-drowning hate, they're going to get to Dark VI faster than they might like.

Edited by RowanThursday

Be nice if your character animations changed with LS/DS.

For example a LS Sith Warrior no longer channelled hate to gain health, but meditated.

And a DS Jedi Knight no longer meditated to regain health, but rather channelled rage.

Little things like that add a lot of depth to a game.

Be nice if your character animations changed with LS/DS.

For example a LS Sith Warrior no longer channelled hate to gain health, but meditated.

And a DS Jedi Knight no longer meditated to regain health, but rather channelled rage.

Little things like that add a lot of depth to a game.

the thing is, though, that your DS jedi knight might not even know how to channel hate, he learned the jedi skills, after all... ;)

Well true, but that doesn't mean we can't spawn a new sub-discussion on how to make it better.

Exactly the LS/DS thing is ok as it is, but it could be much, much better...... why are some people so much against progressive suggestions for SWTOR? :confused:

I have many problems with it.

A. Force powers are not alignment neutral magic spells.

Force lightning is using the force to directly cause pain, torment, and death to another person. This is clearly darkside. One should not be able use force lightning, force choke, and similar powers and still be light side. Its clearly shown in the movies and the EU that even acting aggressively or selfishly can bring a force sensitive to the darkside. So how could someone possibly be considered a light sider while still using force lightning to torture and kill people or using force choke to strangle someone to death? Ridiculous.

B. Non- force sensitives should not be affected by force alignment at all.

This is what I posted in another thread about the subject of dark side corruption.

"Its really stupid.

Its not even common among dark side users in canon. Ancient Sith? None that I can think of except for Naga Sadow maybe and he was just kind of pale. Darth Bane? No. Darth Tyrannus? No. Darth Maul? No. Darth Ruin? No. Darth Krayt? Just some paleness and eye discoloration. Darth Talon? No. Galen Marek? No.

Outside of Bioware characters and Darth Sidious the only darkside users who displayed extensive corruption (other than eye discoloration) that I can think of off the top of my head were King Ommin (who was a powerful sorcerer) and Darth Plagueis (also a powerful sorcerer). And even Sidious's corruption was a special case because it was exacerbated by getting hit in the face by his own lightning via Mace Windu. Darth Andeddu, Darth Sion, and Darth Nihilus were also special cases.

Only the most extreme dark side sorcerers should display Sith corruption. Not every single person who commits a few violent acts, even those who aren't even force sensitive. Its just really really stupid imo."

Regular joes murder people and lie and cheat and steal all the time in the star wars. It doesn't make them dark siders. Non force classes should have a renegade/paragon alignment system and should be unaffected by force alighnment.

Edited by PurpleMagick

I have many problems with it.

A. Force powers are not alignment neutral magic spells.

Force lightning is using the force to directly cause pain, torment, and death to another person. This is clearly darkside. One should not be able use force lightning, force choke, and similar powers and still be light side. Its clearly shown in the movies and the EU that even acting aggressively or selfishly can bring a force sensitive to the darkside. So how could someone possibly be considered a light sider while still using force lightning to torture and kill people or using force choke to strangle someone to death? Ridiculous.

B. Non- force sensitives should not be affected by force alignment at all.

This is what I posted in another thread about the subject of dark side corruption.

"Its really stupid.

Its not even common among dark side users in canon. Ancient Sith? None that I can think of except for Naga Sadow maybe and he was just kind of pale. Darth Bane? No. Darth Tyrannus? No. Darth Maul? No. Darth Ruin? No. Darth Krayt? Just some paleness and eye discoloration. Darth Talon? No. Galen Marek? No.

Outside of Bioware characters and Darth Sidious the only darkside users who displayed extensive corruption (other than eye discoloration) that I can think of off the top of my head were King Ommin (who was a powerful sorcerer) and Darth Plagueis (also a powerful sorcerer). And even Sidious's corruption was a special case because it was exacerbated by getting hit in the face by his own lightning via Mace Windu. Darth Andeddu, Darth Sion, and Darth Nihilus were also special cases.

Only the most extreme dark side sorcerers should display Sith corruption. Not every single person who commits a few violent acts, even those who aren't even force sensitive. Its just really really stupid imo."

Regular joes murder people and lie and cheat and steal all the time in the star wars. It doesn't make them dark siders. Non force classes should have a renegade/paragon alignment system and should be unaffected by force alignment.

I agree with this post 100%. I'd like to see the force powers tied to your alignment, not specific to your class (as they currently are). I've suggested making mirror classes switch abilities based on ls/ds criteria. Take the example of the Consular and Sorcerer classes, telekinetic throw and force lightning would be interchangeable abilities based on your alignment. Here's the link to the thread if interested:LS/DS alignment

As for the darkside/sith corruption... it should def be optional. I know you can elect to show or not show, but it's all or nothing. IMO, these features should be available thru a character 'barber shop' type thing... some sort of in game editor for your character's appearance.