Please stop using "GG"

Coldin

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the OP is mad butthurt about losing so much that he can't even stand to be a good sport about it.

I guess next time we can just yell out to suck it down becsuse it's more appropriate.

Let them use it, doesn't matter. They probably seen it being used in starcraft2 or Dota or whatever and want to make the impression that they did well so they just gg.

They don't even know that the loser GGs first, nor that it doesn't mean "hmm we won".

What basis do you have that the losers "always" GG first? I've won many times and have GG'ed before the other team. But hey, let's turn something that is decent into something that is garbage. Seems about on par for today's standards.

Sounds like the OP is mad butthurt about losing so much that he can't even stand to be a good sport about it.

I guess next time we can just yell out to suck it down becsuse it's more appropriate.

It's posts like this that make me feel like the GG is not made "in good spirits." Saying this like "butt-hurt" certainly don't improve one's outlook.

It's posts like this that make me feel like the GG is not made "in good spirits." Saying this like "butt-hurt" certainly don't improve one's outlook.

You made a negative thread about people saying "Good game" at the end of a match. Honestly, what do you expect people to think?

Really. Unless it was really a "Good Game", just stop using saying it. a 6 to 1 Huttball is not a "GG". A Voidstar at 6-2 is not a "GG". A Civil War that ends at 300 - 0 is not a "GG". These are not close matches. Typically, they aren't even fair competition because it is a premade vs PUGs.

So please, even if GG is meant in good spirits, it's just not worth saying. Save it for those matches that actually are a "Good Game."

Get a Grip.

Really. Unless it was really a "Good Game", just stop using saying it. a 6 to 1 Huttball is not a "GG". A Voidstar at 6-2 is not a "GG". A Civil War that ends at 300 - 0 is not a "GG". These are not close matches. Typically, they aren't even fair competition because it is a premade vs PUGs.

So please, even if GG is meant in good spirits, it's just not worth saying. Save it for those matches that actually are a "Good Game."

Hehe, well i must agree with OP that people using it when a game clearly wasnt a good game for the other team (like 6-1 wins, 400-0 civil wars) it maybe a bit annoying, not because of the GG but because the ppl using it dont know when to use it.

A great game is not where YOU have facerolled an entire team and won overwhelmening, a good game is when the match was close to end as a win to either of the two teams participating :)

But you know, kids, they usually just adapt the term and use it whenever :)

In other words m8, just let it go :) You cant change the way of other ppl andmost people actually mean it in a polite way :)

Edited by Steele_dk

Hehe, well i must agree with OP that people using it when a game clearly wasnt a good game for the other team (like 6-1 wins, 400-0 civil wars) it maybe a bit annoying, not because of the GG but because the ppl using it dont know when to use it.

A great game is not where YOU have facerolled an entire team and won overwhelmening, a good game is when the match was close to end as a win to either of the two teams participating :)

But you know, kids, they usually just adapt the term and use it whenever :)

In other words m8, just let it go :) You cant change the way of other ppl andmost people actually mean it in a polite way :)

Well, at least someone else here understands where I'm coming from. :)

The term GG(good game) is usually meant as a sign of respect for your opponent. It's actually what most ppl see as polite to do. It really doesn't have anything to do with how the game turned out at all and it is far better then "you guys suck"

this is really my first pvp game, besides desktop games played against my friends, so this whole 'gg' thing was new to me. . .and reminded me a lot about little league baseball, having to shake the hands of the opposing team and tell them good game after every one.

I actually quit saying gg in ops channel a few weeks back because it just wasn't making sense to say it to my team(in general) and started saying it in the /say channel.

me doing that made me to not say it nearly as much, never saying it in a 300+ to 0 civil war or in a 6-0 huttball. and only saying it when it actually was a good and/or close game.

I still like to give my team a 'pat on the back' though when we do win 6-0 or 300+ to 0, but it's more along the lines of 'well done' or 'great job'

Edited by FourTwent

No but serious...

GG

Edited by Caeliux

this is really my first pvp game, besides desktop games played against my friends, so this whole 'gg' thing was new to me. . .and reminded me a lot about little league baseball, having to shake the hands of the opposing team and tell them good game after every one.

I actually quit saying gg in ops channel a few weeks back because it just wasn't making sense to say it to my team(in general) and started saying it in the /say channel.

me doing that made me to not say it nearly as much, never saying it in a 300+ to 0 civil war or in a 6-0 huttball. and only saying it when it actually was a good and/or close game.

I still like to give my team a 'pat on the back' though when we do win 6-0 or 300+ to 0, but it's more along the lines of 'well done' or 'great job'

You're doing it right. I'm glad you're on my server. : )

The term GG(good game) is usually meant as a sign of respect for your opponent. It's actually what most ppl see as polite to do. It really doesn't have anything to do with how the game turned out at all and it is far better then "you guys suck"

I only see it when we lose 600 to nothing or we lose 6 to 0. It is nothing but a smear in the pixel world.

That's all well and game. Sportsmanship is important. But, then I see it used when a match starts with uneven sides, how is "Good game" even applicable? Honestly, just comes across as condescending. Plus, it falls too close to the other internet term "QQ".

If you really want to say it's a good game, then at least type it out. GG is just way too quick and impersonal.

Also, I have participated in many organized sports. I do not see why that has to be called into question, but then this is the internet, and to make any posts, one must specify credentials.

I don't understand your standpoint on this. You're concerned about people sounding condecending... yet your post, although most likely unintentional, is basically telling people to stop being polite to each other.

You may not find it polite and I do understand why you may think that, but people who say "GG" at the end of the match aren't doing so to be jerks. Suggesting that they're saying it with the intention of sounding condescending just makes you sound like the jerk.

Now if you were to have suggested that people don't use "GG" at the end of a game where the team played poorly... then your post would have some validity to it. As it is written now, this is not the case.

It is like with all compliments.

It depends who is using them.

The cute guy you have a huge crush on giving you a compliment is worth ten times more then your creepy uncle saying you are cute.

Some people always end a game with GG. Let them. Do not fix something that does not need to be fixed.

If that hardcore pvp god with his army of guards, heals and support gets stomped by your ragtag band of randoms uses GG at the end, he most probably means it.

Feeling like GG is used to bring you down is like complaining that someone opens the door for you.

Never assume anything:

What basis do you have that the losers "always" GG first? I've won many times and have GG'ed before the other team. But hey, let's turn something that is decent into something that is garbage. Seems about on par for today's standards.

Don't mean to take anything out of context, but at least in Starcraft, its considered good manners for the person losing to say "gg" first.

Don't mean to take anything out of context, but at least in Starcraft, its considered good manners for the person losing to say "gg" first.
Yup. And, they leave as soon as they feel/know they are inevitably going to lose.