Being forced to stay in Fleet...ALL the time - bad idea

Megaloz

They should stop all this nonsense of limits in game. Open up General chat for EVERY SINGLE PERSON in the server to read and chat. That alone will not force us to stay in the fleet our entire lives at end-game.

Next allow travel to hit all our raids and FPs that we need....BESIDES the fleet!

Let me ask you this, how many of you, before you played this game, said to yourself....man i cant wait to get in game and chill at my favorite location (tatooine, hoth, coruscant...)....how many had a fleet base....a fleet base as your must go to spot and enjoy....ill take a guess....none!

So many nice looking planets, bioware, why do you force us of all the places....the fleet!?

I would love to imagine a time when tatooine would be thriving, people hanging out at the bar....living out their star wars fantasies.....or in a thriving world city of coruscant....which of course is anything but that.

I mean even if you wanted to go to these other places...you CANT. You become alienated from the general chat thats in fleet. Since there is no LFG system, you simply have to stay in fleet.... ALL...THE...TIME.

How about making incentives to WANT to pvp someone, on any planet there might be the opposing faction? I for one, didnt imagine, star wars, sith vs republic....the open world possibilities....being watered down to just 3 warzones. Wheres the incentive of real open world pvp...not illum, thats forcing you to one spot. Im talking a full incentive system where you'll WANT to fight anyone of opposing faction, on any planet! Right now there is 0.

So basically few simple things to really add some value -

1. Allow general chat to be server wide

2. Allow other methods of travel to reach desired end-game areas, besides fleet.

3. Implement good LFG system that dont demand you sit in one place to form a group. (being worked on)

4. Merge servers to get them more lively....alot more (think they have said something, but about character transfers, not servers)

5. Add more incentives to go outside fleet to do stuff and to chill (probably long term years plus project).

6. Add incentives to PvP people in the open world - as in on any planet you will run into a sith (arenas get boring, and Illum doesnt count, its still a FORCED place you have to go.)

Anyways thats my thoughts

All the reasons why I don't log in but for maybe 45 mins a week. All in one place. Nice post OP. Sadly it will never happen. BioWare EA and Lucus do not want there customers being killed and disrupting there story.

These things are beyond mechanics and hit straight at the design philosophy.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression there already were custom channels

And that said custom channels were already server wide.

So I fail to see the problem.

If you want a serverwide LFG channel. THEN MAKE ONE. Advertise it.

Making General serverwise basically eliminates it as a useful channel for "General".

Just imagine how much rapidly scrolling lines of chat there would be in your chat window when 1000 players are all saying things at the same time.

Massive overload of the chat window.

You would never be able to read any of it.

1000 people? psh.

And most of those things that will be scrolling by will be pure garbage. The text will fly so fast that you will have to stop and actively scroll back to see if anything was directed to you.

This may likely force many people to turn of general chat all together.

:rolleyes:

Sounds like a good plan to me.. people referred to Barrens chat with horror for a reason.

The people here who defend this game and attack ideas are worse than the one in that othere game.

Man you must be really thin skinned...er, sensitive. Everyone disagreeing with the OP has been civil. Nor have I seen anyone "defending" the game, just strongly disagreeing with serverwide channels, and its more like we've been there and done that and know how it will turn out. That is called "the voice of experience" my friend.

Most people agree a LFG tool is needed so you don't have to sit in Fleet and spam chat.

Sounds like a good plan to me.. people referred to Barrens chat with horror for a reason.

The SWTOR folks won't understand until they see stuff like Anal [Force Breach] and Anal [Demolition Round] fly through their chat screen for hours on end.

Man I wish I had some Brain Bleach for those times...

The SWTOR folks won't understand until they see stuff like Anal [Force Breach] and Anal [Demolition Round] fly through their chat screen for hours on end.

Man I wish I had some Brain Bleach for those times...

Indeed. I never understood why anyone could find that funny. Was just so...sophomoric.

I was under the impression there already were custom channels

And that said custom channels were already server wide.

So I fail to see the problem.

If you want a serverwide LFG channel. THEN MAKE ONE. Advertise it.

Making General serverwise basically eliminates it as a useful channel for "General".

While I don't want a server-side general channel, I wish people would stop saying "create your own channel" as a solution to anything. People mention it a lot when talking about the difficulty in forming groups.

If you think about it for more than two seconds you'll realize that this won't work.

You say "advertise it". How exactly? On the server-specific forums? Oh wait, there aren't any. And even if there were, about 2% of the people who play the game actually visit the forums on a regular basis. Should I spam the chat channel in Fleet? The one place that needs it the least? Or should I run around to every single planet for hours on end announcing the channel and hoping the word gets out?

Really, custom channels are a great way for a small group of people to talk, but it's not a reasonable solution for any sort of 'all server' conversations.

The best solution is having a level based general chat. It would be very useful for those leveling up that are looking for group missions such as heroics and FP's.

Also a lvl50 channel for all lvl50s to join would be a great idea. u cant just rely on the fleet general to reach all lvl50s when 50% of the lvl50s are in pvp at any given time. but if u were looking for a extra player for OPS run or a FP or even a WZ group, that would be a great way to reach every1 who that applies to, aka all lvl50s.

If people dont like the idea, they can turn it off. not a big deal to add that minor change and make the community feel a lil closer

I agree with some of the OPs concepts, but not the whole post or ideas.

Instead of server wide general chat there just needs to be some sort of interactive LFG system.

Also, I wish they would have put the raids on different planets instead of accessing them from the fleet.

Would be nice to see guilds gathering in the cantinas before heading out.

When they put all the end game dungeons into SWG it was cool to see the guilds gathering in Mos Eisley Cantina to get buffed up before heading into the Tusken Raiders raid.

IMO there does need to be a LFG tab. That is server wide. Just my opinion.

100% agree and support this. This allows you to turn it off when not needed without mission what's going on around you.

/cjoin LFG

Yes, we been enabled.

I always wonder why I need to be forced to have a server wide chat and suffer to make someone else's play experience enjoyable when they have the capability to make their game enjoyable without making me suffer.

On the other hand I actually have a good idea of the character traits that drive someone to think that way.

You know if some hate the general chat idea so much, they could just keep general chat the way it is, and add a new channel called "Galactic" or something that could implement the EQ2 style bracketing server wide. And if you dont like it, close the tab....and rely on your General tab. Win - Win. Edited by Megaloz

And most of those things that will be scrolling by will be pure garbage. The text will fly so fast that you will have to stop and actively scroll back to see if anything was directed to you.

This may likely force many people to turn of general chat all together.

:rolleyes:

If they haven't already. Like most server wide channels, it would be overrun with trolls and attention whores who are bored. Basically Trade Chat 2.0 (if any of you have ever played WoW).

You know if some hate the general chat idea so much, they could just keep general chat the way it is, and add a new channel called "Galactic" or something that could implement the EQ2 style bracketing server wide. And if you dont like it, close the tab....and rely on your General tab. Win - Win.

I can get behind this idea. I will turn it off but, I can get behind this idea. Good compromise.

It may even take all the trolls out of general chat and move them to this "galactic chat" and make general more useful ( e.g. asking a question in game to the area (planet) )

Edited by Urael

I've been playing Lord of the Rings Online for the last several years, and global, player-made chats have worked great there for forming PUGs. Yeah, you get some inane chatter sometimes, but for the really annoying ones, that's what /ignore is for. Heck, I'll take anything right now if it'll get me off of Fleet and let me explore while in queue for PVP or looking for a flashpoint HM group!

As always, there should be a good middle ground we can all agree on here.

Link the general chat in the fleet and on each faction's capital world. That way the questers can have silence, and the social butterflies can have their inglorious "trade chat". Though sometimes annoying, I made quite a lot of gold in trade chat. Good times. Also, the general chat would not extend to the questing areas of the capital world, just the senate tower/plaza and imperial equivalent.

Though this might be a bit much, this "trade chat" or linked general chat could also be linked to the major hub areas of each planet. (Anchorhead, House Organa, etc.) Banking, AH, profession trainers and such would remain at the fleet or on the capital world so these "intended hub" locations would remain the most important and visited.

I believe this solution would partially solve the OP's problem of not being able to LFG while hanging out in fun locations. I didn't read the entire thread, so I hope no one posted this exact same idea.