The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

No informed choice for Founders?

Evgen

I'm referring of course to the race unlocks from the upcoming legacy system.

Anyone with existing characters who were ignorant of the consequences of which race we chose at character selection are deprived of our informed choice.

New characters can chose to play a race that will give them an unlock they want.

We will get a skill point respec with 1.2, I think for any characters created before a certain data a race respec is in order. Either that or give us a choice of which race to unlock when you reach 50.

I know the idea is that the legacy is your family and that is why they unlock the same way. But that is plot manipulation on Bioware's part. What if my 50s are my allies, and I want my family to be another race? A family of Miraluka that I have been waiting for this unlock to create, for example, non Jedi Miraluka . . . ;)

And yes I know that I can unlock any race for credits, but that is beside the point.

We should get an informed choice. You can pay a lot less to respec your character than this unlock, yet we get a free respec.

I'm guessing this is too late for 1.2, but I still feel it's very wrong to not rectify this situation.

Edited by Evgen

Get over yourself. I was a founder and preordered for another MMO and I was not notified about every little change to the game, let alone any major patches. You got everything you paid for, your loyalty is appreciated and I am sure BW is happy you find the new content appealing. BUt if you think every change will be passed across your desk, or that you will be given a chance to have some super special "get out of jail free" card with every new implementation, you need to wake up. That's not how it works, and you are not that special. Yeesh, some peoples kids!

Anyone with existing characters who were ignorant of the consequences of which race we chose at character selection are deprived of our informed choice.

New characters can chose to play a race that will give them an unlock they want.

We will get a skill point respec with 1.2, I think for any characters created before a certain data a race respec is in order. Either that or give us a choice of which race to unlock when you reach 50.

I know the idea is that the legacy is your family and that is why they unlock the same way. But that is plot manipulation on Bioware's part. What if my 50s are my allies, and I want my family to be another race? A family of Miraluka that I have been waiting for this unlock to create, for example, non Jedi Miraluka . . . ;)

And yes I know that I can unlock any race for credits, but that is beside the point.

We should get an informed choice. You can pay a lot less to respec your character than this unlock, yet we get a free respec.

I'm guessing this is too late for 1.2, but I still feel it's very wrong to not rectify this situation.

No, it invalidates your point.

Get over yourself. I was a founder and preordered for another MMO and I was not notified about every little change to the game, let alone any major patches. You got everything you paid for, your loyalty is appreciated and I am sure BW is happy you find the new content appealing. BUt if you think every change will be passed across your desk, or that you will be given a chance to have some super special "get out of jail free" card with every new implementation, you need to wake up. That's not how it works, and you are not that special. Yeesh, some peoples kids!

Ha ha! Get over myself? Woke up on the wrong side of the bed did we?

This have to do with the title? Not thinking I'm special, just the shorter way than saying long time players. Not sure where all your comments are coming from, I just want a choice I made months ago to affect the unlock I get. I would have made all my high level characters differently.

No, it invalidates your point.

So you don't think we need free respecs either then?

What if the paid unlocks were random? So what, just buy more?

since you have been playing since launch it is likely you have lots of money. just buy the race unlocks with credits

Nope, are you assuming I'm doing dailies or pvp? None of the above. I've been playing alts, listening to conversations, crafting.

I'm a Founder and I just fly blind.

Seriously, I got blitzed last night in the Narshadaa cantina and took home a Twi'lek dancer. Woke up the next morning: She was actually a Twi'lek dancer! Most guys would have woken to a Rodian or a Gungan, but not this guy!

BLIZZ! HIT IT!

*Jawa hits a large rhythm droid*

I'm sexy and I know it!

Girl, look at that body!

Girl, look at that body!

Girl, look at that body!

*Does the Cowgirl*

This have to do with the title? Not thinking I'm special, just the shorter way than saying long time players. Not sure where all your comments are coming from, I just want a choice I made months ago to affect the unlock I get. I would have made all my high level characters differently.

Nope, are you assuming I'm doing dailies or pvp? None of the above. I've been playing alts, listening to conversations, crafting.

I dont think you understand how ridiculous that sounds, "i want a choice i made months ago" to affect something in a patch 4 months away. So say bioware does this for you, then every time they make a change that affects earlier character you made they have to appease people like you and give you exactly what you want every time. Its ridiculous.

Its a patch with NEW content, no one knew about it at launch and we are all in the same boat, you can buy a race from a couple of days of doing dailies or a day of crafting if you can craft something worthwhile. Its silly to say you would have chosen differently you made the character you wanted to make at the time and so you have to stick with it , make your family tree around the character you Wanted to make at launch not the character you want to make now because of the family tree. The family tree is supposed to compliment your choices and give you a variety of choices not dictate them.

Yes, you do need to get over yourself. You are trying to compare apples and oranges when you compare legacy race unlocks to quite major changes in the specializations of characters.

Look at this logically. Are you still gaining something from your characters? Yes, assuming both of your 50's are of a different species and/or class. You are not being punished by this in any way, nor do you need to change the way you play because of it. All you have to do is level up another character of the race of your choice to 50, or suck it up and spend the credits, and you don't really even need to do this in order to play the game well.

On the other hand, if you were a hybrid Sage using the PoM proc to allow you to instant cast TK Wave and get that massive amount of AoE damage, you have suddenly been hit on the back of the head with a hammer and came down with amnesia, making it so you no longer of the presence of mind to do that.

The point refunds are given because people are having their classes changed in a way that will change the entire play style for some. Maybe the only reason the Sage specced for hybrid was for that exact reason. Now, they went and told you that it will now be impossible to play that same way and PoM is next to useless in a hybrid build. The whole point of hybrid was to give yourself an instant cast AoE that deals massive damage to 5 people, or as a simple single-target nuke. It is now incapable of doing that.

You are trying to compare the legacy upgrade which can only benefit you to a nerf which affects many many people and will hurt the player.

I am one of the "founders." I do not feel special because I am not special. None of us are special. None of us deserve some kind of warning about the benefits our characters will bring us in the future because they are benefits, not punishments or nerfs. We have been in this game for ONLY three months.

Long term players? No. Once you have been around for a year on this game, then you can all yourself a long term player. Then, you have earned that title. So far though, you have paid approximately $45 in subscription fees. And no, don't say that you have paid more because your subscription hasn't gone out. You and I both got a month free with our subscription, and those that have subscriptions going beyond this month still have the ability to cancel it and get back that money.

Yes, you need to get over yourself. You are just mad because you aren't going to get the species you wanted unlocked.

By your logic, we should all get a free character re-creation, a free transfer to any server we want, a free new legacy name, a free class respec, and just about every other kind of change. We weren't given warning about getting class skills for leveling them up.

I instead want my 50 to be a Jedi Knight Miraluka so that I can let my Smuggler be a Miraluka Smuggler with the Knight class buff and legacy skill. On top of that, I don't want my Smuggler to be a Scoundrel anymore, I want it to be a Gunslinger. And my legacy name? I want to change that because no one told me it was meant to connect my characters as a family. I also want to transfer to a more highly populated server because I didn't realize that the RP server that did have a queue would have so few people on it compared to some of the others.

In fact, I should get my money back because I didn't get notice of any of this. After all, I am a founder, I should have been given notice back in December of the changes in this game that would occur 4 months later.

Do you see what those last two paragraphs sounded like? Your logic means I am entitled to all of that, because I am a founder, a "long term player" after 3 months of subscription, I deserve it.

Again, I will repeat what has already been said. Get over yourself, you are not special.

You get a free respec because of huge talent changes. When a choice of race starts two shotting your character, they'll let you race change after nerfing them.

2/3 of my 50s are human. You don't see me whining about this. Credits are a plenty in this game, instead of whining and waiting for some change for months, go get the credits in 4 days and buy it.

Edited by Nessirin

Yes, you do need to get over yourself. You are trying to compare apples and oranges when you compare legacy race unlocks to quite major changes in the specializations of characters.

...blah blah blah...

Do you see what those last two paragraphs sounded like? Your logic means I am entitled to all of that, because I am a founder, a "long term player" after 3 months of subscription, I deserve it.

Again, I will repeat what has already been said. Get over yourself, you are not special.

Wow, way to miss the point.

The point being is a respec cost how much?

Yes I want to choice what race I get to unlock.

I play to play different characters. You obviously play to work out the best DPS combos or whatever.

It's not a big thing, if it's no problem to spend time to make money or reroll, then why do we need a respec for free? So to do what I want to do I should make more of an effort due to a change in the game but to get what you want it should be free. How about based on your current spec they choose what they think you should get in the new system. And repecs cost 1.5mill

You would be ok with that right?

That's what I see for the race unlocks.

I will have four 50s and still not have unlocked anything I want to play.

It's so bizarre to think that is wrong?

I'm not asking for the new combos for existing characters, just the choice of my legacy reward.

You are basically saying that because the way the game works has changed, you should have the option to change a choice you made to compensate for that.

I'm saying the exact same thing.

Except to make up for the change in my case I'll to dump a lot more cash.

And once again, the only reason I used the term founder int he tile was to keep it short.

And everything is relative, so in a 4 month old game, the players who have played for 4 months would be considered "long term".

"Get over yourself", really, what a rude why to respond to a legitimate concern.

You get a free respec because of huge talent changes. When a choice of race starts two shotting your character, they'll let you race change after nerfing them.

2/3 of my 50s are human. You don't see me whining about this. Credits are a plenty in this game, instead of whining and waiting for some change for months, go get the credits in 4 days and buy it.

How about when a respec costs so much that you have to play for two days (from what I hear it's more like 4 or 5) to pay for it.

You do understand that I am for the skill point respec right?

I'm drawing a parallel, understand?

You guys are basically saying "Forget what you want! You can just reroll or make the money!" But you are saying that skill respecs are important and that you deserve them. But could I not just say the same thing to you? If you can't understand the flaw in that logic forget about it. You'll never understand.

I can easily go into any thread about something you care about and tell you to get over yourselves, stop whining, just reroll, whatever. I however respect other peoples desires even though they may differ from mine.

I dont think you understand how ridiculous that sounds, "i want a choice i made months ago" to affect something in a patch 4 months away. So say bioware does this for you, then every time they make a change that affects earlier character you made they have to appease people like you and give you exactly what you want every time. Its ridiculous.

I'm not saying that at all.

They have decided to give you a reward based on a choice you made without knowledge of this connection.

So due to this there will be 3 kinds of people.

1) Those who don't care, about race unlocks, or which race is unlocked.

2) Those who want to make a family the bioware way and unlocked the race they want.

3) Those who don't want to play the same race gain

1 is unaffected, 2 is happy, and 3 is not.

Why make a system that only pleases some of the people, when this is a time when you could please all of them?

I guess there is a fourth group who don't get an unlock, but want one for nothing.

I'm not asking for that. If I want to unlock more races I'll play one to 50 or pay.

It's so cute you think you're a special snowflake. :>

Man am I going to pay for my choice of title :p

Anyway . . . .

So, respecs are free . . .

So they are free once a week, and you guys are saying you deserve another one . . . free.

But to get a race unlock, which, by getting to 50 . . . I earned . . . I should have to put in about 2-4 days of play time to get the the cosmetic, non game affecting unlock I want, instead of the one I get because of some arbitrary choice by bioware to link it to something I choose months ago.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Well... seems you hit a crossroads...

KEEP PLAYING something your not happy with and affects you this much

OR

LEAVE and go find another MMO that gives you exactly what you want on demand cos the Founder title or curly wings etc apparently entitle you to it.

REMEMBER FOLKS... games are often tricksy little things...... one day its game on, next its all change.... HOW DARE THEY try to make games in any way progressive without out consulting with us chosen few who dared to buy it on launch.... HOW RUDE!!!! :rolleyes:

Everyone in this thread seems overly pedantic and abusive towards the OP, but I shouldn't really be surprised since this is the internet after all.

My first character that I got to 50 is a human Trooper and I'm reasonably happy with that choice. However, if given the chance to change his species then I would probably choose a Rattataki. Of course I could just make another Trooper and make them a Rattataki, but then I would be giving up many hours of gameplay for a cosmetic change, something that I'm not going to do.

Certain other games (which I won't mention because the amount of venom people have towards one in particular is unreal) allow race/species changes. I don't think it would be that hard to implement. I'm sure many people would be happy to pay large amounts of credits to be able to change the species of their current characters. There are even in-game lore reasons that you could possibly do this (The Face Merchants quest on Coruscant being an example).

For anyone that says the choices you make should matter, if that's the case then why can you hit escape to get out of conversations, etc?

Edited by juanni

WHERE ? HOW !? I didn't know you could do that. Where's it posted??

its been made cleared that you unlock them with EITHER legacy lvl OR credits.

not sure the OP gets it tbh, the reason we get a talents refunded is cause they changed some of them and because of this we are allowed to test the water for free.

but in regards to the race thing, they didnt change the races, they ADDED new stuffz, get it? they didnt change it, they added something.

remember, they allow you to play, not the other way around, its their game and they can and will do as they please. personally i am honoured to pay them to be able to play it.

I don't even...

I can't...

Dude: Information, you have it.

Everyone in this thread seems overly pedantic and abusive towards the OP, but I shouldn't really be surprised since this in the internet after all.

My first character that I got to 50 is a human Trooper and I'm reasonably happy with that choice. However, if given the chance to change his species then I would probably choose a Rattataki. Of course I could just make another Trooper and make them a Rattataki, but then I would be giving up many hours of gameplay for a cosmetic change, something that I'm not going to do.

Certain other games (which I won't mention because the amount of venom people have towards one in particular is unreal) allow race/species changes. I don't think it would be that hard to implement. I'm sure many people would be happy to pay large amounts of credits to be able to change the species of their current characters. There are even in-game lore reasons that you could possibly do this (The Face Merchants quest on Coruscant being an example).

For anyone that says the choices you make should matter, if that's the case then why can you hit escape to get out of conversations, etc?

I realize it's just lack of empathy and the inability to see beyond their own desires.

All the replies I could change wording and support my point.

For example.

Original:

not sure the OP gets it tbh, the reason we get a talents refunded is cause they changed some of them and because of this we are allowed to test the water for free.

remember, they allow you to play, not the other way around, its their game and they can and will do as they please. personally i am honoured to pay them to be able to play it.

Changed:

not sure the replier gets it tbh, the reason we should get a race respec is cause they changed the benefits to playing certain races and because of this we should be allowed to choice a different race based on these benefits for free.

but in regards to the talent race, they didnt change the races, they ADDED new stuffz, get it? they didnt change it, they added something.

Excuse me?

Old benefit to being any race: Social power

New benefit to playing a human: Reaching 50 you get +5% presence

New benefit to playing a Muraluka: Unlock 6 race/class combos.

So we both are saying they changed something that affects the way we want to play in the game, and should be able to change our character to compensate for that.

But you guys won't get that.

So just go back to missing the point elsewhere.

I understand where you're coming from, but id rather thinks stayed as they are. A few unexpected consequences aren't the worst thing in the world an I'd rather not wake up to find every character I'm used to seeing on my server has changed.