Why the insane downtime?

Srilania

Bioware bragged before release they had a system for not needing 1 hour, let alone 7 to patch, update, or reset the servers.

I'd honestly love to see a quote referencing this. It'd be a pretty interesting read. Simply because, I can't remember them saying this and I'd like my memory jogged :)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, 7 hours is insanely long. Anything more than an hour is insanely long. I come from a MMOVR that literally has 0 downtime, running 24-7. While some zones shut down, the zones come back after 15-45 minutes, but the main grid stays active.

Bioware bragged before release they had a system for not needing 1 hour, let alone 7 to patch, update, or reset the servers. I just expect them to come into the tweens (the decade after the naughties) and stop with the downtimes like this.

Or again, at the very least, leave the blasted player test realms going so we night players and foreign players can do SOMETHING other than twiddle our thumbs during downtime.

Any company that has a system up 24/7 does so not because they can but because they have to. Downtime in those cases translates directly into lost business. Ever notice how you can buy SWTOR on Origin 24/7? :p

not that it matters to me but 7 hours is a long time in MMO hours ... 2 hours max was Eq2's patching once a week.

Played EQ2 for over 6 years. Yes, patches were short. However, Live updates and expansions ( like this update ) were commonly 10 to 12 hours or more. I remember one that was only up about 3 or 4 times totaling about 30 minutes in a 24 hour period. lol.

Bottom line.....Large updates like this are not uncommon. We had them in EQ, EQ2, SWG, Vanguard, and even Rift. Why are people complaining about the time in this one?

Just relax folks. Watch a couple movies or take a nap. The game will be up shortly.

lol, and it amazes me that your comment itself is an indirect complaint. Freedom of speech, if people did not voice differing opinions (in a somewhat intelligent way and in a semblance of a respectful tone) and go back and forth how would things change? I love a good debate and I love to see differing ideas thrown out, challenges the mind and perception.

I don't see the downtime being an issue personally, means they are simply putting more time into whatever they are doing and not being half arsed about it. I do see other issues though that in my opinion are getting crazy and need to be addressed soon, but I see a bunch of topics on it already so not going to voice into that here. Happy gaming.

It amazes me that you don't know what Freedom of Speech is.... just for your edification, it's the freedom to speak out against your government. It has nothing to do with the private sector, where you are not free to spew vitriol and bile every time you mouth has diarrhea. For instance, on this forum if you just spew at somebody you'll have your post removed and get a warning to go read the ELUA. See, not totally free here. However, if you stand on a street-corner and preach about how bad the IRS is, then guess what... if you are not disturbing the peace (your rights end where someone's rights begin), then you are exercising your Freedom of Speech.

I did read where you said 'in a respectful tone, and I do believe that, in most cases, the moderators will allow the discussion. However this has nothing to do with the constitutionally protected right to Freedom of Speech. That is just bandied about too much without the knowledge of just how precious a right it is...

Glad we had this discussion.

Edited by Mindsplitter

Oh please. For EQ2-F2P servers were down almost 24 hours. AOD added another 10 hour outage, there are also recent 24 hour outages on Antonia Bayle, Freeport and Southpaw servers as they were moved to new datacentres.

That these are also 7 hours suggests there is some pretty hefty maintenance happening, maybe a datacentre move as well to deal with Lag/Latency? We can hope :)

As for the merges, that was like almost a year ago now! Moving the data centre would be quite a big job making sure it all works on the other end tbh

I played eq2 since launch till this went live, the servers were usually up by the time they said bar a few occasions when hardware went fubar or they screwed up some major update! :p

Can't believe you're complaing about 7 hours for a game update (mini expac) and yes, I'm a Euro ;)

Last week, you were able to do live patching, and do all your maintenence without taking down servers. It worked well. But this week? It's more of what's been so annoying, insanely long maintenence.

Please, go back to the no downtime maintenece, or at the very least, leave the blasted Player Test Servers up so those of us who are nocturnal players can still do SOMETHING at least.

Dude, they did it overnight. Is it really going to kill you to wait 8 hours? I would have liked to play, sure, I'd like to play now, but I understand the downtime is necessary, and so I do other things.

Insanely long? Come on.

Last week, you were able to do live patching, and do all your maintenence without taking down servers. It worked well. But this week? It's more of what's been so annoying, insanely long maintenence.

Last week was web-only maintenance.

Why the insane downtime?

Insanely big patch.

Dude, they did it overnight. Is it really going to kill you to wait 8 hours? I would have liked to play, sure, I'd like to play now, but I understand the downtime is necessary, and so I do other things.

Insanely long? Come on.

Please do not forget that for you it might be overnight, but for others it might be during the morning/afternoon or evening.

Not that I care about the downtime since I got 200+ dvd's over here to watch if I wanted to... That is a whole lot of freaking downtime. :p

For me personally this patching is happening during most of my prime time. Home alone, wife is still at work so just peace and quiet... ;)

I could have had a 15'ish hour game day... Now it is only 8... But I think that I will survive.

Anyway according to their own estimates it is only 45'ish minutes left before servers should be back online.

Please, go back to the no downtime maintenece, or at the very least, leave the blasted Player Test Servers up so those of us who are nocturnal players can still do SOMETHING at least.

Um, because it involved major changes to the code, and 1 GB of new data....

Seriously?

The patch was able to be done with no downtime because it was small, and was only to prepare a few aspects of the game's code to enhance stability for the larger patch.

Insanely long? Come on.

I dunno about you but I like to play at night.

You come from work/school. Spend time with the loved ones and live your life. Everyone goes to bed. This is when you come to play SWTOR. But it's down. "only for 8 hours."

Are you kidding? This is the time I set for it. It's not always the case of "just play at another time."

In addition to that, the game is designed to be addictive (in some cases, addictive rather than fun.) You can't take the supply away from addicts and not expect some disgruntlement.

I'm rotfling again and again for the GENIUS who suggested that should be better to divide the 8 hours mainteinance in 1 hours / day

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

all server admins here :D:D:D:D

Why would you "rotfling" at that? I would support it and I'm sure many others would prefer it too. I'm going to go ahead and guess you're the type that tells people to stop "complaining" about server queues too. An hour wouldn't be a problem for you then, but it would be for this, right?

Look, if the server is down for 3-8 hours that means no chance to play that day for a lot of people. But a 1 hour wait is almost always acceptable because an MMO is typically played with a time commitment (at least when you do play.)

Edit: Just to be clear we aren't talking about 1.2 here. I can understand occasional major updates like this one.

Edited by DragomirSA

The long downtime is because they hate every one of you and want to make you post things like this on their forums, cause it's all about funzies.

Coming up next week, we ask horses why the long faces.

The long downtime is because they hate every one of you and want to make you post things like this on their forums, cause it's all about funzies.

Coming up next week, we ask horses why the long faces.

Personal hatred has nothing to do with it. It has to do with customers reporting their experiences. The devs may not hate us but we don't hate the devs either. Nobody is out to personally hate on SWTOR -- we are just reporting our experiences. Believe it or not, people like to be able to play when they want.

Is it really shocking? You can say it's required all you like, but that doesn't mean people have to like it. You can either provide a product people are happy with or not. No hatred is necessary. For some the wait times won't be a problem. Good on them. For others it will be a problem and you don't have the right to look down on them for it.