Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Anyone Else NOT Care About Legacy?

zwhimsicalz

Legacy is just another example of inexperience designing a gaming system.

Bingo

This was a magnificent post and the sentence I quoted was the most amazing part of it

Bioware has no idea what they're doing, this has been evident since the beta for those of you who were in it. Legacy is yet another example of some silly gimmick that is ultimately pointless and adds nothing to the experience.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bingo

This was a magnificent post and the sentence I quoted was the most amazing part of it

Bioware has no idea what they're doing, this has been evident since the beta for those of you who were in it. Legacy is yet another example of some silly gimmick that is ultimately pointless and adds nothing to the experience.

And what would you suggest?

I think the Legacy system is awful beyond words can express.

No new races. Instead we just get the same terrible different coloured human races for ANY class. Which will be great seeing everyone a Darkside Sith pureblood with red sabers walking around the Republic fleet. As if the Empire population wasn't over populated enough, now they bring out the master plan of completely eliminating the Republic in this game?

Unlock new skills to another character... everyone will be a force user. Don't the Jedi and Sith feel special now. Also a Jedi can use a flame thrower from his invisible wrist strap. Fantastic.

The family tree is simply a drag and drop RP purpose over hyped mechanic.

Can't be bothered QQing anymore.

If you can't be bothered QQing could you spend the time on reading comprehension please.

As long as it doesnt effect anything in PVE or PVP. If it does, BW can **** themsleves and I will not give them another dime.

you might as well quit now. because it will effect both, if only in a small way.

Think smuggler with force choke and you get the idea.

Buy a new Ford Fusion From Me Smilin BOB !

Pay full price now, and a payment for a few months and in 6 months we will send you the transmission !

C'mon....

Keep complaining about stuff that wasn't in at launch that you think should be. It will most definitely turn back time and right this wrong perpetrated against you.

Basically, it's pointless complaining for the sake of complaining.

Funny. All the effort Bioware went to to make the legacy system a fun addition to the game that is not unbalancing, and gives advantages to people that want to enjoy the story, while not affecting PVE/PVP balance and they get posts like this.

As has been said before, Bioware could give everyone in the game a RL cash gift, and have people complain about receiving it.

What can we say. Idiocy runs rampant here.

you might as well quit now. because it will effect both, if only in a small way.

So, what you are saying is, you don't know anything about this new legacy stuff and are just blowing **** out your ***.

Gotcha. Just wanted to be clear.

And what would you suggest?

More than 1 new warzone and operation. More than 1 new set of gear for PVP and PVE. Not telling everyone with the currently best gear in pvp (battlemaster re-modded) that their gear is now obsolete and they must re-earn it to be competitive. Having more appearance customization options. Better or more space battles available. Maybe some open world PVP changes, instead of pretending ilum never existed and deleting it.

Thats off the top of my head. :rolleyes:

So, what you are saying is, you don't know anything about this new legacy stuff and are just blowing **** out your ***.

Gotcha. Just wanted to be clear.

Your mind is too muddled with BS to be clear on anything.

A force choke on a 20 minute timer that can only be used with the companion out (meaning it won't be used in warzones, flashpoints, or operations).

So yeah, it will have no effect on anything other than leveling or RP.

Honestly, no. Family tree is literally pointless. Heroic abilities *shrug*. In fact, the only real impact it has it apparently forcing you to level alts to 50 just to get their static legacy bonus (eg surge rating boost)... which is a catastrophy for min-maxers not interested in doing so.

More than 1 new warzone and operation. More than 1 new set of gear for PVP and PVE. Not telling everyone with the currently best gear in pvp (battlemaster re-modded) that their gear is now obsolete and they must re-earn it to be competitive. Having more appearance customization options. Better or more space battles available. Maybe some open world PVP changes, instead of pretending ilum never existed and deleting it.

So you want an xpac?

Gotcha

And to Ilum, they are taking suggestion from the community for PvP. Maybe you should chime in there.

Clearly! I mean, there can't possibly be a reason for not including every feature that every player wants. They should replace their entire design team with game subscribers. It is evident that the majority of us have decades of game design experience and know exactly what this game needs to please 1.7 million people. I have already done a cost-benefit analysis of every feature I feel this game should have; and can present a solution for all limitations both technical and resource oriented.

/sarcasm

I don't know what's worse:

-A game that has apparently been created by a company that has no idea what they are doing.

-A player that subscribes to a product that they don't enjoy; or spends his time posting on a forum for a game he or she doesn't even subscribe to.

Edited by Altaira

The yellow alone would make the update fantastic. But...other than the UI changes and new Op, there's noting to get anxious about in 1.2 for me. It destroys the faux open world PvP of Ilum without ANYTHING to replace it. Sure, Ilum sucks, but it was better than nothing. I'm not a fan of warzones only, all rankings will be wiped, so no long term novelty. Just...meh...

To me the legacy system is mostly fluff and things that should have been available at launch. I mean....this game has so many other issues, missing features, and most importantly population problems that I'd like to see resources devoted elsewhere.

My entire guild had 3 operation groups two months ago, now nobody logs in anymore to do anything...

Pretty much neutral since i didnt bother to read what this feature is all about. Most of the threads open are about rant nothing informative there nor a proper debate about +/- of this in game feature.

About operation though, I hate going back to WoW but look at it, there is no new end game content since Christmas and people dont whine that much about it on them forums. Why we can just try to behave more civilized, i wonder?

For more casual players like myself this Legacy thingy will bring new things and hope enjoyable ones.

About operation though, I hate going back to WoW but look at it, there is no new end game content since Christmas and people dont whine that much about it on them forums. Why we can just try to behave more civilized, i wonder?

The difference being that WoW's Cataclysm expansion came out over a year ago. The latest patch featured a raid that killed the main villain. People have known for a long time that the patch would be the last new content before the next expansion. SWTOR is a brand new game that came out 3 months ago. The lack of content is therefore a much bigger disappointment.

Edited by amantheil

The difference being that WoW's Cataclysm expansion came out over a year ago. People have known for a long time there wouldn't be much in the way of new content until the next expansion. SWTOR is a brand new game that came out 3 months ago. The lack of content is therefore a much bigger disappointment.

What lack of content?

Have you people seriously convinced yourself that the game has 0 to do at endgame?

What lack of content?

Have you people seriously convinced yourself that the game has 0 to do at endgame?

Not me personally. I was just responding to a person wondering why WoW people weren't complaining about lack of content, and explaining that it's in a completely different stage of it's lifecycle than SWTOR is.

I don't get how people are saying both this is unnecessary and a poor use of resources YET the resources should have been used to get it in at launch.

Make up your minds.

Not really, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

For starters, this is one of Biowares main selling points for SWTOR - "The Legacy System" along with the VO's are supposed to make this MMO stand out. Meaning, if its one of your main points, it should have been in at launch.

That said, The Legacy System is kind of unnecessary and yes, a poor use of resources.

200 million for VO's and a fancy chart system with credit sinks. I'd rather they spent it on gameplay.

The only thing I find somewhat useful are the buffs of my other characters all in 1, the rest I don't really care about. The things that require both legacy level and credits are ridiculously overpriced for what they give you so I am not even going to bother with those.

1.2 will still be good with the new Ops, WZ and PVP changes though, so I am a happy player regardless of the unimpressive legacy system. :) And of course the legacy system may have features in the future that I will really want to get.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.