Surge of Shadows

HeliosApollo

Has anyone else noticed a huge spike of shadows on your server since the patch 1.2 notes came out? I am thinking that we are going to be the next flavor of the month, since we didn't get hit with a nerf bat. It doen't really bother me but I enjoyed being one of the few shadows on my server.

Mylitta

Rakata Mind Prison

I do see a small increment of shadows on Harbinger but 80% of them are horrible.

I am playing a Scoundrel healer (alt, hit 50 a few weeks ago) atm and wow these peep don't even use Kinetic Ward or rotations. Then they starting to blame the healer a.k.a me when they got trolled badly in HM boss fights.

Seriously, these peep who like 1,2,3 buttons shouldn't have chosen to play a Shadow. It makes everyone suffer.

Edited by matekwong

I might be the only balance shadow on my server

I like balance for pve, for pvp I can't stand it. I think part of the reason is I feel I pay to much attention looking at a tiny *** proc indicator instead of seeing whats going on around me. In pve it's not that bad but in pvp I like the simplified rotation of infiltration and kinetic. It allows me to see what my enemy is doing and I can catch all my interupts. It's just my playstyle and two cents.

I'm on Mind Trick, and the majority of toons I see are still sorcs, sents/maras and BHs both sub 50 and 50. At 50, the sage/shadow balance is about equal. I have a lvl 26 guardian that I'm really liking, and with the slight buff, we might start seeing more of those. I hardly see any smugglers, but there's quite a few more agents. I think we'll see less and less troopers though.

I like balance for pve, for pvp I can't stand it. I think part of the reason is I feel I pay to much attention looking at a tiny *** proc indicator instead of seeing whats going on around me. In pve it's not that bad but in pvp I like the simplified rotation of infiltration and kinetic. It allows me to see what my enemy is doing and I can catch all my interupts. It's just my playstyle and two cents.

...you kidding? When you proc Force Strikes (free Mind Crush), your saber flashes pretty obviously and you start glowing. As far as I know, it's our only proc with a visual effect. It should be incredibly easy to spot without ever staring at your bars.

Also, the other two specs spend just as much time watching for procs. Infiltration has Infiltration Tactics, and Kinetic has Particle Acceleration. I know for sure that IT doesn't have a visible (or if it does, I never noticed it playing Infiltration from lvl 10 to 34), and I'm pretty sure that PA doesn't either.

If proc-watching is something you don't like, then Balance is by far the best spec for you.

Balance is boss for pvp, its true

Agreed, You do sacrifice some burst DPS capability, but your survivability and utility go jump way up there in comparison to a Infiltration spec. Your sustained DPS is also higher, I find myself being able to put more pressure on healers than when I was Infiltration. If they survived my burst as infiltration, I was beating a dead horse.

Balance is also a more complicated play style, which I love. I also like not throwing rocks every 4 seconds. After a while, the animation and damage delay just annoyed me.

It should be incredibly easy to spot without ever staring at your bars.

Not in PvP, it ain't.

My vision is 20/15 (slightly better than 20/20) and if I'm fighting more than 1 person in PvP, there's just WAAAAAAAAAAY too much going on inside my screen for me to notice ANY visual effect coming off of my character unless it's completely over the top...

;)

Not in PvP, it ain't.

My vision is 20/15 (slightly better than 20/20) and if I'm fighting more than 1 person in PvP, there's just WAAAAAAAAAAY too much going on inside my screen for me to notice ANY visual effect coming off of my character unless it's completely over the top...

;)

Okay, I understand that. But still, Balance has no more bar-staring than the other specs. Infiltration has Infiltration Tactics, and Kinetic has Particle Acceleration. We have Force Strikes. Still doesn't make sense (to me) as a reason not to play Balance. I'd understand "squishiness" or "lack of burst", but "I don't like watching for procs" confuses me.

Shadows, guardians and sentinels. Get ready for the 1-49 WZs to be those and not much else. My server is already that way.

Melee rules SWTOR PVP with an iron first. Some figured it out sooner than others.

i beg to differ. well played commandos and snipers will usually beat any of those in damage and overall usefullness in pvp.

i mean, as a sentinel, snipers who see me comming just blow me out of the watter and htere's nothing i can do about it. cant leap to them, leg shot, snipe, ambush knocks me away, knockback with snare, sniping still, and even if i get back to them again, they still have 2 stuns left.

On my server, level 50 balance between classes seems pretty decent.

Only thing I've noticed really is a lack of commando's on republic side. Shadows seem to be rare still and I think I'm the only inf shadow around. Don't think i've ever seen a balance shadow. Quite a few KC shadows but apart from a few high rank ones, most are pretty garbage.

Okay, I understand that. But still, Balance has no more bar-staring than the other specs. Infiltration has Infiltration Tactics, and Kinetic has Particle Acceleration. We have Force Strikes. Still doesn't make sense (to me) as a reason not to play Balance. I'd understand "squishiness" or "lack of burst", but "I don't like watching for procs" confuses me.

I'll elaborate a little further. It's not just watching for my procs it is also watching for my dots to fall off my targets as well. So esentially I'm looking at two bars, not one.

It is my opinion, and I'm not trying to take anything away from balance, it is the least viable pvp spec for pvp. The reason I believe this is because although it may shine in zergs it is the weakest in small skirmishes. I tend to pick small skirmish battles in wz's and Ilum. Again this is my playstyle and I feel this is the role of the shadow unless kinetic specced. As a Kinetic I can easily push 350k dmg 75k shielding and self healing which to me is more useful that 350-450k damage as balance.

The only thing that balance offers that is better than the other trees is the self healing. The sustained damage of the dots is easily healed through if you have good healers, not to mention dispellable and removable. The snare is nice but it just replaces a more effective CC's like low slash and the out of stealth kick and pulls. The snare is just that a snare players are still able to use abilities. Sure you get a instant 1 minute cd cc in force lift but to me it's not worth it.

I love balance for PVE and I think that it shines for PVE and if you enjoy balance in PVP by all means dot away. I am glad you are having fun and that is what it's all about.

I'll elaborate a little further. It's not just watching for my procs it is also watching for my dots to fall off my targets as well. So esentially I'm looking at two bars, not one.

It is my opinion, and I'm not trying to take anything away from balance, it is the least viable pvp spec for pvp. The reason I believe this is because although it may shine in zergs it is the weakest in small skirmishes. I tend to pick small skirmish battles in wz's and Ilum. Again this is my playstyle and I feel this is the role of the shadow unless kinetic specced. As a Kinetic I can easily push 350k dmg 75k shielding and self healing which to me is more useful that 350-450k damage as balance.

The only thing that balance offers that is better than the other trees is the self healing. The sustained damage of the dots is easily healed through if you have good healers, not to mention dispellable and removable. The snare is nice but it just replaces a more effective CC's like low slash and the out of stealth kick and pulls. The snare is just that a snare players are still able to use abilities. Sure you get a instant 1 minute cd cc in force lift but to me it's not worth it.

I love balance for PVE and I think that it shines for PVE and if you enjoy balance in PVP by all means dot away. I am glad you are having fun and that is what it's all about.

Well, I have to say that I prefer Balance for small skirmishes. I do my best when fighting three players. This gives me three people for FiB (and Force Suppression charges), and it's pretty easy to keep DoTs up on three people. More than three and I lose track easily. With Balance's melee/range flexibility, it's easy to stay out of range and LoS while still doing damage.

Also, my specialty is either killing or locking down healers. As Infiltration, your only chance is your burst. If that doesn't take them down (and if they have a pocket tank, it won't), then they can self-heal through your sustained pretty easily. By stacking my DoTs on a healer, and then using interrupts and knockback to keep them from healing, I can actually kill them really effectively.

Even if I can't kill them (I'm a relatively fresh lvl 50, so my gear still sucks), I can definitely lock them down. When I'm on a healer, they self-heal with everything they have or they die. Either way, they're definitely not healing their team. The best part is that I can lock down a healer while I still have DoTs going on other people, so I'm both damaging the enemy team and preventing them from getting heals. If I'm having a really good day, I can lock two healers down at once.

But hey, like you said, whatever you enjoy is what's best for you. You probably can't PvP with Balance as well as I can, and I can't play Kinetic/Infiltration as well as you. I don't believe in one class/spec being "best". Each player has a best spec, because it fits their play style, but that spec will be different for each. I love Balance, enjoy Infiltration, and can't stand Kinetic. Some people probably have the exact opposite.

Shadows, guardians and sentinels. Get ready for the 1-49 WZs to be those and not much else. My server is already that way.

Melee rules SWTOR PVP with an iron first. Some figured it out sooner than others.

Grass is always greener....

My most basic assessment of PvP is this.

If a match consists of mostly melee characters, there is less CC, roots, knock backs etc to go around. Therefore, you may CC, knock back into a pit or root 1 or 2 players, but another 1-3 are going to be in your face. Therefore, melee are always around to tear a ranged player apart.

If the match has mostly ranged players, you will see all the melee players constantly respawning with full resolve bars and doing crud damage overall while they stand in place getting humiliated by a few players 20-30 yards away.

In a balanced match (which do occur often enough), players that have better skill/gear (which often go hand-in-hand, but not always) often float to the top and rule matches. Teams with great healers/protectors start to shine and really make a huge difference.

Since the 1.2 notes make a lot of those ranged hybrids seem underwhelming now and melee seems better, a lot of FotM players are rerolling melee. So in the next few weeks/months melee are going to start ruling PvP instead of ranged. The next patch will probably shift that around again... rinse, repeat etc... welcome to the theme park called current AAA MMOs; you can never get off the carrousel of balance, so enjoy the ride.

I did a /who with level range of 10-39 on my server a couple days ago and while shadows were up there, the largest number were sentinels, even more than sages. I think they are the official Flavor of the Week

I did a /who with level range of 10-39 on my server a couple days ago and while shadows were up there, the largest number were sentinels, even more than sages. I think they are the official Flavor of the Week

Based on one look at the 'who' list at an arbitrary time on one random server in a random level range.

Seems legit.

New FotM are Sentinels/Marauders. I have personally already rolled a brand new FOTM Maruader on another server.