Rastellon

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to be under the impression that:

a) SWG Was good

b) That this was ever intended to be SWG 2.0

You know what outsurvived all other MMO's? WoW.

You know what you do in WoW?

Click X, Kill X.

Yeah.

You know what wasn't a successful MMO?

SWG.

yawn. Guess they had the same clever argumentation during early planning meetings of TOR.

being online for 8.5 years without going free to play, with a solid subscriber base, having a glorious death to sacrifice for the next "big SW MMO" which was supposed to be TOR is not exactly unsuccessful.

SWG is legend.

SWG is gaming history.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

yawn. Guess they had the same clever argumentation during early planning meetings of TOR.

being online for 8.5 years without going free to play, with a solid subscriber base, having a glorious death to sacrifice for the next "big SW MMO" which was supposed to be TOR is not exactly unsuccessful.

SWG is legend.

SWG is gaming history.

Woot, he changed his laughing to yawning when told SWG was bad!

70% cancellation with in first 30 days played

80% cancellation after 3 month mark!

*dang we have a different opinion on solid subscriber base, hows that kopol aide tasting?*

THATS SWG legend and history!

Sadly looks like TOR following same patern for vastly different reasons

Edited by Kalfear

It "could last 10 years".

My confidence in the current development team in making it last 10 years however is pretty damn close to zero right now.

I think it has 1 year (8 months left of it) maybe 2 tops to begin growing the playerbase, if it hasn't at the least managed to replace lost subs in that 1 year I think BioWare & EA will start pulling the team apart for other projects & the game will go into maintained decline, with token bug squashing & content updates will dry up rapidly.

Only time will tell where this game goes. Personally I have no big complaints. Having played MMO's nearly 13 years now; I understand the hurdles involved. All I can say is I log in to play with friends and we have a good time. As long as good times are being had I will keep playing, or until pandas suddenly appear...

Ultima Online....still has subscribers base, i dont think swtor is going anywhere.

Yeah MMORPGs are pretty cheap once developed and don't need many players to keep going and turn a profit in maintenance mode.

The big difference with SWTOR over UO though is that it has a SW licence.

SWG wasn't ended because it wasn't still making money, it was ended because it lost it's licence.

You know what wasn't a successful MMO?

SWG.

People keep saying that, but it was the 2nd biggest western MMORPG for all time (sub-wise) for a couple of years.

I think that's pretty successful.

It's peak sub number aren't that impressive now (although they still aren't that terrible either), but the MMORPG world has changed an awful lot since 2003.

Woot, he changed his laughing to yawning when told SWG was bad!

70% cancellation with in first 30 days played

80% cancellation after 3 month mark!

*dang we have a different opinion on solid subscriber base, hows that kopol aide tasting?*

THATS SWG legend and history!

Sadly looks like TOR following same patern for vastly different reasons

Huh, SWG held its initial sub number (300,000 ish) for about 1.5 years (with a dip), then started a fairly steep decline that got it to 50% of its peak subs by summer 2006 (this was of course now well into WoW pomp years) and then slowly declined between then and dec 2011.

I've no idea what you're talking about with those figures. :confused:

We have Diablo 3 and GW2 - free to play .... 10 years SWTOR .... no way.

This game is still alive because have [star Wars] in name.

Diablo is not going to hold my attention like an MMO would...I will certainly give it a try but it's not an "ongoing" type game for me. GW2? Not sure what I will make of it and won't be one of those buying it at release. Bit busy with SWTOR now and if I do go with something else, it'll be ME.

Ive learnt something great from this TOR experiance. That is that deep story should be kept to your singleplayer games.

I loved the idea of story on such scale in an mmo at first but after seeing it in practice it doesnt work.

Alot of people said it wouldnt work and they were right.

I do love the quest structure but it came at a cost of the rest of the game and now bioware actualy has got to build the mmo of TOR and not just a pretty story. Also i feel the quality of the story in the mmo is not that good anyway. Theres no epic moments that i remember.

EA will most likely if not already delegated TOR to a skeleton crew or has plans to do so in the near future cause its quite clear to me already that TOR wont be the success EA and bioware had imagined.

Of course EA will not care they probably got a good deal out of it and got all their money back. But i feel for the bioware devs as they have a rep to maintain and probably didnt recieve the majority of the sales.

Ive learnt something great from this TOR experiance. That is that deep story should be kept to your singleplayer games.

I loved the idea of story on such scale in an mmo at first but after seeing it in practice it doesnt work.

Alot of people said it wouldnt work and they were right.

I do love the quest structure but it came at a cost of the rest of the game and now bioware actualy has got to build the mmo of TOR and not just a pretty story. Also i feel the quality of the story in the mmo is not that good anyway. Theres no epic moments that i remember.

EA will most likely if not already delegated TOR to a skeleton crew or has plans to do so in the near future cause its quite clear to me already that TOR wont be the success EA and bioware had imagined.

Of course EA will not care they probably got a good deal out of it and got all their money back. But i feel for the bioware devs as they have a rep to maintain and probably didnt recieve the majority of the sales.

the funny thing about opinions is...well you should know the rest.

personally i thought the story line worked well. i found it engaging and rather enjoyed it. I played sith warrior to 50 and working on many others.

and truth be told as regarding rep..both bioware and EA have had hit and misses in the gaming industry. to say that they will **** can this game due to losing rep is kinda absurd..

I mean alot of people hate dragon age II yet they are still making expansions for it.

EA has had a few misses as well. .and they are still in business..

needless to say their reps play very little in the decision to keep or can this game, except ego..and there is no room for ego when it comes to game design and production.

either way this too is MY opinion...and yes..like everyone elses..it stinks too...

the funny thing about opinions is...well you should know the rest.

personally i thought the story line worked well. i found it engaging and rather enjoyed it. I played sith warrior to 50 and working on many others.

and truth be told as regarding rep..both bioware and EA have had hit and misses in the gaming industry. to say that they will **** can this game due to losing rep is kinda absurd..

I mean alot of people hate dragon age II yet they are still making expansions for it.

EA has had a few misses as well. .and they are still in business..

needless to say their reps play very little in the decision to keep or can this game, except ego..and there is no room for ego when it comes to game design and production.

either way this too is MY opinion...and yes..like everyone elses..it stinks too...

I think the story bit works out splendidly. Really enjoying it. Disguises, a bit, the "go kill x wossnames" or "find me a whatchamacallit". Plus I get a kick out of confounding my companions with responses.

It's a fun game.

Unless the game engine gets some serious repairs in the future (more than 30 FPS in warzones with a decent setup, no freezing when opening UI windows, camera doesn't **** around when you have right click pressed down, COMBAT ANIMATIONS, etc...) I don't think so. 5 years easily, but not 10. Edited by cs_Kimmo

Unless the game engine gets some serious repairs in the future (more than 30 FPS in warzones with a decent setup, no freezing when opening UI windows, camera doesn't **** around when you have right click pressed down, COMBAT ANIMATIONS, etc...) I don't think so. 5 years easily, but not 10.

considering they are adding ui changes now its clear they know the engine has isues and are addressing them. regardless if they should have before. they are now..so ya i think 10 years will happen

As far as the 10 years quote goes... the only thing I see evidence of is regressing MMOs by 10 years. As far as lasting 10 years as was said before the game's release... when I was young I wanted to be an astronaut... of course you will BW... of course you will