Legacy system family tree---what is the benefit?

RolyartNala

Richard: "Name a benefit of the Legacy Family Tree"

Contestant: "Uhh, ummm, uhhh..... Fun!"

Richard: "He says 'fun'. This is it for the Kelborne family. If 'fun' is on the board they're going home with the big bucks! Or else, they go home with nothing........Survey says.......'Fun'! The number one answer!"

Contestant: "yay!"

:tran_grin:

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the feature even if it does "squat". I like to pretend my alts are something more then alts :D This just adds graphical approach of my imagination.

This aside... I think it will mean more in the future. I would love to see legacy missions. Like rival ultimate showdown or cooperation with your sister/brother on mission.

I like the feature even if it does "squat". I like to pretend my alts are something more then alts :D This just adds graphical approach of my imagination.

This aside... I think it will mean more in the future. I would love to see legacy missions. Like rival ultimate showdown or cooperation with your sister/brother on mission.

Then after u spend a few mins looking at your family tree, then the novelty has worn off in 5 mins. And as far letting other people look at your family tree, why would any one care to know how your alts are related to each other? Why would i care to know that? And there not even letting people do that.

I wish they wouldve spent there time doing a real AA system, like rift had, i personally wont spend 1 second on my family tree, it serves no purpose, other than a few seconds of self induced roleplaying in my head.

Then after u spend a few mins looking at your family tree, then the novelty has worn off in 5 mins. And as far letting other people look at your family tree, why would any one care to know how your alts are related to each other? Why would i care to know that? And there not even letting people do that.

I wish they wouldve spent there time doing a real AA system, like rift had, i personally wont spend 1 second on my family tree, it serves no purpose, other than a few seconds of self induced roleplaying in my head.

I'm amazed at how there is a tendency to assume that everything must have value for every player. And that the value must be immediate and persistent. I don't particularly care for PvP. I don't participate except when guildmates force me to. Yet you wouldn't hear me saying: "Jeez, I wish they had spent that time on creating a new Warzone making another dungeon instead. I will spend less than one second on that Warzone, therefore it servers no purpose." Let's all try to remember that not everyone enjoys the game for the same reasons we do.

Also, with the scope of the Legacy system being implemented in this patch, I don't think it's unreasonable to give them time to further develop certain features. Perhaps it is easier to roll in the Family Tree now than it would be to shoe-horn it in later when the subsystems that add (additional, persistent) value are developed. Just a thought.:cool:

4 - Shortly after patch 1.2. multi spec part 1 will be deployed.

I really wonder if all this freaking trolls actually know how to read or if they just ramble about everything because they dnt have nothing better to do.

What a waste of my time to read 90% of this posts, jeez.

If i dnt like a game i just leave it, i dnt go to their official forums and QQ about the weather, so stop bothering us with your useless comments on the game and future patches.

You are another example of a pathetic member of an MMO community that has absolutelly no ideia of what ure talking about because plain and simple U DNT KNOW HOW TO READ or PLAIN AND SIMPLE JUST DNT GIVE A CRAP.

PS: To all the trolls out there complaining about everything. 2 Months ago you all said that the game would end soon, with no subscribers left or very few to actually make any type of threat to other MMO's outthere, well guess what, after 4 months SWTOR is still having 1.6million subscribers and it retains by far the biggest subscription community ever made in this short period of time, so BW must be doing something right, even without all those shinny stuff everyone wants (me included).

The game itself have a HUGE potential and BW has allready shown us that they are on the right track.

So stop complaining and go and play what you want, or shut tha hell up.

Maybe u need to learn how to read, i said i wished they would have worked on other things before the legacy system, things that actually people want, basic things like in my list that most mmo's have. Some one else said why do people want things of value, well because mmo's are about progression, not daydreaming about how your charcters are related, i can role play in my head, i dont need a legacy tree in the game to do it for me.

As far as subs u are delusional, they have lost a lot of subs, i dont think they will ever shut down like some people claim, but just the amount of people i know personaly that have quit is pretty high, and with gw2, terra, the secret world comeing out there gonna take a major hit.

And if nobody ever complained, nothing would ever change, personally there is a lot i like about swotor and bw games in genral, but they are touting the legacy system like it is the greatest thing ever, is just plain wrong, when it is worthless to a large part of there player base.

...Some one else said why do people want things of value, well because mmo's are about progression, not daydreaming about how your charcters are related, i can role play in my head, i dont need a legacy tree in the game to do it for me.

As far as subs u are delusional, they have lost a lot of subs, i dont think they will ever shut down like some people claim, but just the amount of people i know personaly that have quit is pretty high, and with gw2, terra, the secret world comeing out there gonna take a major hit.

And if nobody ever complained, nothing would ever change, personally there is a lot i like about swotor and bw games in genral, but they are touting the legacy system like it is the greatest thing ever, is just plain wrong, when it is worthless to a large part of there player base.

I asked why people feel that everything must have an immediate and persistent value. You are choosing to ignore the notion that this might be infrastructure that is of critical importance for current and future changes, even though the present implementation appears limited in scope and function. Secondly, telling someone who is quoting the latest official subscription numbers that they are "delusional" is out of line. Anecdotal information regarding how many people you know who have quit is completely irrelavent to that subject of overall subscriber retention. Finally, how do you know that the Legacy system is "worthless to a large part of there(sic) player base"? The Legacy system allows me to unlock faster movement speeds, increased power for my companions during solo content, aesthetic features, and functional upgrades to my starship that allow me to quickly perform certain tasks without running back to the fleet on a regular basis. If the price I pay for the addition of these features is a little time "wasted" on an interface that allows me to define the relationships between my characters, I'd say "well worth it." You're entitled to have an opinion, but please refrain from pronouncing yourself the mouthpiece for the majority and insulting the rest of us for holding a different opinion.

Player to player legacy would be much cooler so that you could tie together a roleplaying community and even use the legacy name of another player.

This. As my Shadow is married to another player (trooper) this makes more sense to me than having the legacy the way it is right now.

All my characters are female and I don't want to make a male character because I am not male lol so what now I have 2 moms?:confused:

I thought I read that sometime down the road they were going to be looking into allowing marriages/alliances between characters of different accounts. So maybe your tribe of amazons won't be old maids afterall.

The main issue for RPers being most of us don't want all our characters to be related one to the other and certainly not share the same last name/surname.

Would have much more appreciated them giving us separate last names.

I don't know if you were in the betas, but we were adamant about being able to have different last names if we so choose, and they ignored us in favor of their precious legacy.

I don't understand why having different last names would change for the legacy? You can still have your toons be allies and NOT have the same last names.....

I don't know if you were in the betas, but we were adamant about being able to have different last names if we so choose, and they ignored us in favor of their precious legacy.

I don't understand why having different last names would change for the legacy? You can still have your toons be allies and NOT have the same last names.....

This. And let me see something they keep bringing up "familes in the Star Wars universe."

How many of them had the same name? Even Luke and Leia had different names even though they were brother and sister. Yes she was adopted so what if you wanted to have a character that had a differnt name, bioware response is sorry nope they all have to have the same day on the same legacy. Oh but you can go to another server and create one there. I not sure about you but creating a new toon on another server really isn't something I would like to do just to create a new last name (title).

And now how many were the same person? They can talk all the want about your legacy being family but there is a flaw in that decision. How many can you actually play at one time? One.

A family consists of more than one person (i.e. Account/player).

It would be hilarious IMO if they just removed the ability to use the legacy name as a surname altogether and watched you guys go apoplectic. Then maybe you would understand that legacy name is NOT the same thing as a surname. Just because you have an OPTION to use it as such does not make it so.

Edited by iceperson

I think there are really three worthwhile points that I've seen so far in this thread:

1. If this "feature" does nothing, then Bioware just spent the development time THAT WE ARE PAYING THEM FOR on something that no one needs or wants, and is absolutely worthless.

2. What would even a roleplayer want this thing for? You are going to set up your connections on the day 1.2 hits and then I guarantee that you will never look at that tab ever again. Why would you?

3. If they do end up expanding on this and it becomes part of some actually useful system in the future, some people are going to be mad if the blind family connection choices they make today have an impact on that unspecified system later.

A lot of people are already experiencing the effects of this sort of thing today. Myself for example. I have characters in all 8 slots and have leveled all of them significantly. All of them have three professions at 400. This was done before any of the news about what 1.2 was going to be started to leak out. Now all of this new fun leveling content is gonna hit and I missed all of it because I don't have any more character slots to level a toon in. Had I had any idea that Bioware was going to have leveling be the end game I might have left maybe 4 spots open for 1.2.

That's just one example. If the family tree stuff becomes part of something real later I will probably get to relive the joy I feel today.

It would be hilarious IMO if they just removed the ability to use the legacy name as a surname altogether and watched you guys go apoplectic. Then maybe you would understand that legacy name is NOT the same thing as a surname. Just because you have an OPTION to use it as such does not make it so.

Sure it can be hidden, but if you do want a surname then it must be your legacy name.

Bioware go on about the Skywalker legacy in their presentations on this, but even that family had mutiple surnames for the various branches. Yeah Leia was adopted and her original surname was Skywalker (though she was unaware until adulthood), her adopted name was Organa and she married Han Solo. Their kids used Solo as a surname.

Fine have a single legacy name to give a shared identity to your linked characters, but that should not mean that if they use a surname that it should be the same for all.

I would like to start by saying that I am looking foward to the legacy system. The different little perks that it will allow are all good in my mind and they reward playing the game be it on one toon or multiple.

This being said I, like other here, have my reservations about the Lagacy tree and its pendant the Legacy name.

To start with the latter: Having set it up from the start that all the toons from one account have to share their last name or have none at all is annoying. While it is possible that some of the characters I have created share a last name it by no mean is possible for them all to share it. I know I can turn it off but then that charater has no last name. As I said annoying ( not maddening , not game quitting frustrating just.... anniying)

As for the Legacy tree I cannot help but feel that there is more to it than just a nice grafic representation of relationships. And therefore I am scared . Scared to make decisions on it that will later have some unforseen concequences. I have no idea what those concequences could be . But that is why I say they are unforseen.

well that was my 2 creds

I will shut up now

I would like to start by saying that I am looking foward to the legacy system. The different little perks that it will allow are all good in my mind and they reward playing the game be it on one toon or multiple.

This being said I, like other here, have my reservations about the Lagacy tree and its pendant the Legacy name.

To start with the latter: Having set it up from the start that all the toons from one account have to share their last name or have none at all is annoying. While it is possible that some of the characters I have created share a last name it by no mean is possible for them all to share it. I know I can turn it off but then that charater has no last name. As I said annoying ( not maddening , not game quitting frustrating just.... anniying)

As for the Legacy tree I cannot help but feel that there is more to it than just a nice grafic representation of relationships. And therefore I am scared . Scared to make decisions on it that will later have some unforseen concequences. I have no idea what those concequences could be . But that is why I say they are unforseen.

well that was my 2 creds

I will shut up now

Good points. I agree with the points Tankdeisel pointed out right above as well. Except for the angry ranting about them wasting time. We don't know that, so would people stop assuming that it's the case?! Now, being worried that the choices we will make in a vacuum will impact future gameplay options: totally reasonable, and a great point. Far more constructive than accusing Bioware of "stealing your money and wasting their time."

Sure it can be hidden, but if you do want a surname then it must be your legacy name.

Bioware go on about the Skywalker legacy in their presentations on this, but even that family had mutiple surnames for the various branches. Yeah Leia was adopted and her original surname was Skywalker (though she was unaware until adulthood), her adopted name was Organa and she married Han Solo. Their kids used Solo as a surname.

Fine have a single legacy name to give a shared identity to your linked characters, but that should not mean that if they use a surname that it should be the same for all.

Like I said, they should remove the ability to use it as a surname altogether since clearly some people can't have one thing without wanting everything. Children think like this. If the ice cream doesn't have sprinkles they throw a tantrum. it doesn't matter that you did something nice that, something you didn't have to and gave them ice cream in the first place. They scream and stomp and get indignant because they want sprinkles by gosh!

I think there are really three worthwhile points that I've seen so far in this thread:

1. If this "feature" does nothing, then Bioware just spent the development time THAT WE ARE PAYING THEM FOR on something that no one needs or wants, and is absolutely worthless.

2. What would even a roleplayer want this thing for? You are going to set up your connections on the day 1.2 hits and then I guarantee that you will never look at that tab ever again. Why would you?

3. If they do end up expanding on this and it becomes part of some actually useful system in the future, some people are going to be mad if the blind family connection choices they make today have an impact on that unspecified system later.

Originally, the idea was that Legacy abilities (ie Force Choke, etc) would be passed down from the ancestor on the tree to descendants. However, they opted (smartly, IMO) to remove that requirement for Legacy abilities, because they didn't want people to be required to "respec" the family tree to obtain certain abilities. I'm confident they'll find another use for the family tree, though. You needn't fear about making the "wrong" choice, because you can easily change relationships.

Originally, the idea was that Legacy abilities (ie Force Choke, etc) would be passed down from the ancestor on the tree to descendants. However, they opted (smartly, IMO) to remove that requirement for Legacy abilities, because they didn't want people to be required to "respec" the family tree to obtain certain abilities. I'm confident they'll find another use for the family tree, though. You needn't fear about making the "wrong" choice, because you can easily change relationships.

I am going with this. I think originally it would be "cool" that a descendant can gain ability from your ancestors BUt some players may not like that...

Father - Crom BH

Mother - Alia - Sorc

Son - Tom - Sin (will only get ability from sorc and BH) but tom might have a kid later and may get 3-5 abilities (depending on the tree) and so forth.. so a 4th generation may get access to all 8 abilities via trees

BW realize that it would seriously hinder some players since you can only have EIGHT characters per server so they decide to open up "legacy skills" to all character as you unlock them. Thus all this time development, they just "throw in the fluff" cause why remove it when you originally develop for it. I'm sure BW will figure out something in the future.

• 1 month later...
What little Legacy abilities you get for free are OK, I suppose, but no way am I throwing money at unlocking any. They just aren't worth paying for. The "Family Tree" idea is pointless, as it stands. I haven't even bothered to set one up.

Okay, but then why hype it? Heck, why even include it if isn't a thing that does something, but is the thing that will facilitate some future system that isn't in 1.2?

Did they actually hype the linking of characters in the family tree?

Are you sure you aren't just confusing this with legacy (1.2) hype in general?

I mean I could be wrong, and if you have footage I'd love to see it - I just don't ever remember hearing them hype the family tree portion itself.

If they did in fact hype it up, I can only imagine that it's setting up for more future use.