Legacy system family tree---what is the benefit?

RolyartNala

All characters in your legacy get all of your global legacy unlocks, regardless of the arrangement of characters in your family tree.

The family tree is just a fun visualization of the relationships between your characters - we don't want you to ever have to "respec" your family to get the unlocks you want, or for guilds to require you to have a certain family arrangement in order to pick up the right rewards.

What do you guys don't understand in

1. We don't want all our characters to be linked one to the others
  2. We just want separate last names for all our characters

It's not fun at all to be obliged to have our characters linked one to the other to get the benefits from the legacy features and even less having our characters sharing the same legacy name even if we can hide it.

The visualization is far from fun, I regularly facepalm myself thinking how stubborn you are obliging players to do such things when you perfectly knows : we don't want that.

BTW why do you keep the system poping up the legacy windows in my face each time I zone? I don't want a legacy name at all. I just want a last name, a separate one.

Get a clue!

/rant off.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Playable musical instruments.

Now this is something I'd LOVE to see. If they are going to spend time coding fun social features, I'd much rather they spent some time putting in things like musical instruments rather than a family tree no other player will see (and which doesn't make much sense either). Bioware have finite development time so better to spend it making features everyone can enjoy many times over, rather than some fluff that will be a mild diversion for all of 5 minutes.

Musicial instruments are a great feature in LOTRO where you can actually play custom tunes on them and form a band. Even SWG had them, though I seem to recall they were more limited to playing specific riffs and flourishes, but still fun.

The cantinas in SWTOR are essentially dead. No-one hangs out in them to chat or roleplay. With some live music made by players, and some expanded dance moves, a bit of life might be able to be breathed back into what is a rather static game world.

Edited by Cernow

Someone please help me understand this.

From what I can tell, the family tree does bupkiss.

Zero. Zilch. Nada. It appears to be a fancy UI for linking your characters together, the in-game benefit of which appears to be squat. I mean, correct me if I missed something, but it doesn't appear to be tied to any of the level/credit-based rewards for the Legacy system.

The family tree appears to be so useless that not even role-players benefit from it, since you can't SHOW your family tree to other role-players. What, then, is the difference in benefit to role-playing between the family tree system in 1.2 and simply writing down your characters' family connections on a piece of scratch paper and then just telling people what they are?

I mean, is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the system has no practical value (even to role-players)? If I am missing what the in-game benefit of the family tree is, someone please tell me. Thanks.

Why do I have an option to show or hide my own nameplate?

Other players can't know if I can or cannot see my own nameplate.

What possible value could there be in being able to see my own nameplate?

I KNOW what my name is!

What do you guys don't understand in

1. We don't want all our characters to be linked one to the others
  2. We just want separate last names for all our characters

It's not fun at all to be obliged to have our characters linked one to the other to get the benefits from the legacy features and even less having our characters sharing the same legacy name even if we can hide it.

The visualization is far from fun, I regularly facepalm myself thinking how stubborn you are obliging players to do such things when you perfectly knows : we don't want that.

BTW why do you keep the system poping up the legacy windows in my face each time I zone? I don't want a legacy name at all. I just want a last name, a separate one.

Get a clue!

/rant off.

So tell me, you have no legacy xp then? gimping yourself for your principles is quite impressive in a strange way, I kinda feel sorry for you but impressed at the same time.

What possible value could there be in being able to see my own nameplate?

I KNOW what my name is!

Let me answer that one for you.

Once upon a time in that other MMO that will not be mentioned I rerolled a character after havin played the same one for 2 years, I was finding it hard to adjust to the fact that I now had a new name also, I was so used to thinking of myself as the previous char, SO... I turned on my own nameplate as a constant reminder to myself that I was now a different character, I got so used to it that I still have my own nameplate showing to this day :)

Edited by System_TOR

So tell me, you have no legacy xp then? gimping yourself for your principles is quite impressive in a strange way, I kinda feel sorry for you but impressed at the same time.

• Do not want all characters to be linked.
  • Do not want to have a legacy name.
  • Do not want to be bothered with the enter your legacy name popup anymore.

What does the XP has to do with all the above?

• Do not want to be bothered with the enter your legacy name popup anymore.

Enter a damn legacy name and forget about it.

• Do not want to have a legacy name.

Hide it under social options and none's the wiser.

• Do not want all characters to be linked.

Do not link them in the family tree.

There, problem solved and it's still only 8.30am.

The Legacy system is an arbitrary game system, which is by no means perfect but it's in the game for people who like such things. If you don't, it's very easy to ignore it and go about your business. I wouldn't expect the developers to allow players to "turn off" features if so they please because they "do not want".

Zero. Zilch. Nada. It appears to be a fancy UI for linking your characters together, the in-game benefit of which appears to be squat. I mean, correct me if I missed something, but it doesn't appear to be tied to any of the level/credit-based rewards for the Legacy system.

The family tree appears to be so useless that not even role-players benefit from it, since you can't SHOW your family tree to other role-players. What, then, is the difference in benefit to role-playing between the family tree system in 1.2 and simply writing down your characters' family connections on a piece of scratch paper and then just telling people what they are?

I mean, is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the system has no practical value (even to role-players)? If I am missing what the in-game benefit of the family tree is, someone please tell me. Thanks.

Yes please give us PVP ABILITIES AND GOD PLS MAKE THE NOOBS WHO BOUGHT THE GAME HARDER TO KILL! Eventually, give the carebears who rolled 10 lvl 50 alts some 1 shot ability from valor rank 1.

Stop QQ-ing...this is The Game. If you dont like it...UNSUBSCRIBE and go back playing the best game you've played so far...probably WoW.

BW this, BW that, EA this, EA that....stop searching for excuses when the only problem is YOU! No matter what this guys will do, no matter how ez the game will be or no matter how hard the game will be, YOU WILL NEVER BE SATISFIED.

As for me, i have only one request....please, release 1.2 faster then 10th of april.

Thank you :)

Except, you know, you're wrong. "Ally" and "Rival" are available relationships. So presumably you could make a republic "clan" made up of characters who are all allies of each other, and are all rivals with an imperial "clan" made up of imps who are all allies of each other.

(or one big cross faction clan that are all allies of each other).

Possible connections according to duffies movie:

Ally

Child

Adopted Child (seems like they could have just looped this in under Child, unless they actually force racial restrictions for child)

Sibling

Spouse

Rival

(and P.S. Not exactly new info, they've said all along you would be able to link friends and enemies in your legacy tree. Just the exact term used (ally and rival) wasn't really known.)

^Good to know, because they've been so focused on the whole Anakin family line in their promotions of Legacy I haven't gotten around to poke at the details yet. My clan is cross faction since they're neutral, they seek a grater goal than the goals of either republic/empire and will work with them if they want to. Ally/rival seems a bit weak though imo, guess it's something at least.

I'm just sick of BioWare promoting legacy as the whole vader-luke family thing all the time, it's like they're stuck in the original trilogy...

All characters in your legacy get all of your global legacy unlocks, regardless of the arrangement of characters in your family tree.

The family tree is just a fun visualization of the relationships between your characters - we don't want you to ever have to "respec" your family to get the unlocks you want, or for guilds to require you to have a certain family arrangement in order to pick up the right rewards.

Really? Because I think that race unlock counts as global unlock right? But existing characters don't have access to the new race class combinations as far as I know due to the lack of race change option in Legacy/1.2. But yeh, I know this was directed at the family tree portion of the "global unlocks", but really, who decided the current state of race unlocks and limit it to characters created post 1.2?

But good to know that family tree is just another fluff pieceand I won't need to use it in order to get the unlocks.

hi William, i haven't heard from you since that thread from back in the day that was dedicate to you! lol

Anywhoo. i do understand your point, but it really does feel like a missed opportunity to make a much more intricate system. To have a connection to someone in your family tree that is force sensitive seems like a great idea. Also allowing others to see your family tree and seeing what skills you may have developed make for great RP all around. I really hope you guys would reconsider those points. As it is now, its really not a big deal, when it probably should have more importance do to its uniqueness.

Okay, but then why hype it? Heck, why even include it if isn't a thing that does something, but is the thing that will facilitate some future system that isn't in 1.2?

you are like the person who not happy with the legacy system dont play with it then just leave it alone :D.. it is useful you can get powers from your alts and you can unlock a bunch of things to help you craft and more they adding more stuff just relax ... If you dont like the legacy system then i dont know what to say :mad:

Regarding letting others see your family tree, I don't want that since I may not want to reveal who my alts are.

That doesn't mean it can't exist though. A simple toggle option one can choose regarding whether you wish to allow others to view your family tree or not would be appropriate though.

so wait you came here to post and complain about something because you dont like it and assume i dont like it O_O. really have you seen the star wars movies with luke sky walker and all that thats what the legacy tree is for.. if you think it has no value for you then this game is not for you just wasted your time :p

Also, I would like to point out that the Legacy system is really just an RP thing. Nobody NEEDS to play a Smuggler with an insanely long cooldown on Force Choke, just as nobody needs a Chiss Jedi.

That said, I have also heard it rumored that there might be Legacy-related quests that deal with your family. So it might be a good idea for RP reasons to plan out which character you like to think of as your father. And it might actually have an impact on that questline.

you are like the person who not happy with the legacy system dont play with it then just leave it alone :D.. it is useful you can get powers from your alts and you can unlock a bunch of things to help you craft and more they adding more stuff just relax ... If you dont like the legacy system then i dont know what to say :mad:
You are confusing the legacy system with the family tree, which is just a part of the legacy system. I am talking about the family tree, which has been confirmed as useless fluff by BioWare in this very thread.

Edited by RolyartNala

so wait you came here to post and complain about something because you dont like it and assume i dont like it O_O. really have you seen the star wars movies with luke sky walker and all that thats what the legacy tree is for.. if you think it has no value for you then this game is not for you just wasted your time :p
For the third time in this very thread (I take it you didn't read the whole thread---I forgive you), I am not complaining. I am questioning. These are different things, except on the internet where the trolls live. Edited by RolyartNala

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Nothing to complain about, or get worked up about anyways...
Agreed. I started the thread seeking clarification, and that has been delivered in spades (thanks William Wallace). If people want to complain about it, they can start their own threads.

Thanks for the response! But that design decision does not stack with the fact that it would make no sense for a guild to mandate any of this as none of the rewards benefit you in a group setting such as raiding or PVP.

You have made it so most of these benefits are solo specific and the only one which is useful for endgame are the buffs. Which you could have chosen to not be linked to the family tree.

I would not be surprised if this response changes in the next few updates once you get a bit more time to do what i think it is you want to do.

Actually, the word "aesthetic" means that there is a huge benefit to moddable orange gear in that (1) your character now looks awesome and (2) other people can see and appreciate the awesome. That is the definition of aesthetics. The family tree, on the other hand, has no aesthetic value.

There's an Inigo Montoya quote that applies fairly well to the way you're using the word "aesthetic".

If the family tree display exists for no purpose other than to be pretty, that is precisely what it means to have an aesthetic value. Now, you can of course argue that TO YOU it isn't pretty, but that's subjective. Then, too, "aesthetic" can be used to refer to things that are more felt than thought; more emotional than rational. And so, having a place to show how our characters relate to each other has no mechanical value in game... agreed, and it should not... but it can evoke feelings in players, as well as possibly being appealing in itself.

In other words, the family tree is purely aesthetic. I'm frankly surprised you'd suggest otherwise.

You seem to be confusing "aesthetic value" with "aesthetic value from the point of view of another person who can't see my computer screen". :)

Thanks for the response! But that design decision does not stack with the fact that it would make no sense for a guild to mandate any of this as none of the rewards benefit you in a group setting such as raiding or PVP.

Rewards from leveling up companions can be meaningful, even in group situations. If those were restricted by relationships between characters (e.g. only available to spouses of your "primary" legacy character), instead of going out freely to all legacy characters, that would promote exactly the kind of guild restrictions on family trees we're talking about here.