Kira Carson Single Saber

Klyx

It doesn't gate any of her abilities or anything. She works exactly the same with a single or double lightsaber. Double sabers generally have a higher damage value at the same levels, I think, but I could be wrong about that. I just keep her with a single saber with up to date mods and she does fine, though.

I'm curious about this too.

I would like to have her use a green single saber for RP purposes because it fits the iconic dyad better IMO, but I've always figured her DPS would be significantly hindered if it did.

Edited by Alphasgimaone

Just compare the weapon damage of single saber and double-bladed with same level. There is a HUGE difference.

Similar thing with blaster/sniper rifles. Everyone who can use sniper rifles can also use blaster rifles, but why should they? Sniper rifles are MUCH better.

Tip: always use the highest dps weapon that you can. I'm serious.

Similar thing with blaster/sniper rifles. Everyone who can use sniper rifles can also use blaster rifles, but why should they? Sniper rifles are MUCH better.

Tip: always use the highest dps weapon that you can. I'm serious.

I don't doubt your seriousness. But you really don't have to min/max in this game. Not for PvE anyway. If someone is just as successful with single saber versus double, then it really doesn't matter.

You don't have to run BiS at your level, but don't underestimate how much gimping yourself by running something less than ideal can affect things. If this wasn't the case why does 1 level difference sometimes make such a difference on some encounters?

You don't have to run BiS at your level, but don't underestimate how much gimping yourself by running something less than ideal can affect things. If this wasn't the case why does 1 level difference sometimes make such a difference on some encounters?

Apples and oranges. An entire level affects everything about your character. And some encounters are simply highly tuned, perhaps even over-tuned. On such encounters, I'd be willing to bet if you can't beat it with single saber Kira, you won't succeed with double-bladed Kira either.

Apples and oranges. An entire level affects everything about your character. And some encounters are simply highly tuned, perhaps even over-tuned. On such encounters, I'd be willing to bet if you can't beat it with single saber Kira, you won't succeed with double-bladed Kira either.

Au contraire, everyone knows the current MMOs are setup as gear dependent. Hence gear checks in multiple instances.

One level affects your hit%, a little more life, maybe a little more focus and those are nothing difference than having optimal or sub-optimal gear equipped. ;)

Au contraire, everyone knows the current MMOs are setup as gear dependent. Hence gear checks in multiple instances.

One level affects your hit%, a little more life, maybe a little more focus and those are nothing difference than having optimal or sub-optimal gear equipped. ;)

Yes, optimal or sub-optimal gear in total will be equivalent of a level. Having one piece sub-optimal really isn't going make or break your game play in PvE.

And where are there 'gear checks' in any instances? There is no hard gear gating. LOTRO had hard-coded gear gating, and people cried to high heaven until it was removed. I've seen nothing like that here.

Yes, optimal or sub-optimal gear in total will be equivalent of a level. Having one piece sub-optimal really isn't going make or break your game play in PvE.

And where are there 'gear checks' in any instances? There is no hard gear gating. LOTRO had hard-coded gear gating, and people cried to high heaven until it was removed. I've seen nothing like that here.

Hate to quote myself

current MMOs are setup as gear dependent. Hence gear checks in multiple instances.

Note it's a general comment. Basically any boss with an enrage timer can be a gear check. I haven't participated in any 'end-game' content in SWTOR yet but it wouldn't surprise me the transition from normal to HM or NM doesn't have some aspect involved. Didn't play LotRO just beta'd. WoW has both gates and gear checks. One of the most famous is Patchwork.

Edited by Veluthurk

Hate to quote myself

Note it's a general comment. Basically any boss with an enrage timer can be a gear check. I haven't participated in any 'end-game' content in SWTOR yet but it wouldn't surprise me the transition from normal to HM or NM doesn't have some aspect involved. Didn't play LotRO just beta'd. WoW has both gates and gear checks. One of the most famous is Patchwork.

Quoting yourself doesn't address the point that there aren't any hard-coded gear gates in SWTOR that I'm aware of. I don't care what other MMOs do. I only mentioned LOTRO as an example I'm familiar with in which hard-coded gear gating was implemented. Of course one needs to keep gear up to date in general...that is a given for many MMOs going back to EQ1.

I've read on these boards many times where people have kept an old piece of headgear or other bit of armor because they liked the looks of it. In this thread alone a poster has claimed no noticeable ill effects in using a single saber for Kira.

Now is it possible that on Nightmare Mode you might need the best of the best gear? Possibly. But still a players skill is going to overshadow or enhance a lot of imperfections.

EDIT: actually, there is one, now that I think about it: Expertise. Expertise is a gating mechanic for PvP.

Edited by Cerion

Quoting yourself doesn't address the point that there aren't any hard-coded gear gates in SWTOR that I'm aware of. I don't care what other MMOs do. I only mentioned LOTRO as an example I'm familiar with in which hard-coded gear gating was implemented. Of course one needs to keep gear up to date in general...that is a given for many MMOs going back to EQ1.

I've read on these boards many times where people have kept an old piece of headgear or other bit of armor because they liked the looks of it. In this thread alone a poster has claimed no noticeable ill effects in using a single saber for Kira.

Now is it possible that on Nightmare Mode you might need the best of the best gear? Possibly. But still a players skill is going to overshadow or enhance a lot of imperfections.

EDIT: actually, there is one, now that I think about it: Expertise. Expertise is a gating mechanic for PvP.

"Hard coded" is your word. As I said practically any enrage timer is going to be a gear check. If you can't down the Boss in time and he wipes your group what do you call it? Your mentioning of LotRO, which I didn't really play, allowed me to ref Patchwork which I did have the pleasure of encountering a few times. ;) He was one of several throughout that game.

As far as one piece of gear it's all relative. Are all of the other pieces optimal or whilst leveling is it a smattering of greens/blues? And the single vs double LS is just one more loss of stats? This game being nothing but a mass of zeros and ones there are points, and they can be clearly sensed where small changes spell success or failure.

Just for argument sake I checked my single vs Kira's dual LS. Both have blue Lvl 17 Hilts, mine Guardian and her's Force Wielder. My tool tip dps is 164-246 to her 197-296. When I give her my LS the tool tip dps remains the same. Unfortunately I can't equip her dual blade to see if it remains the same for me. Anywho that is a loss of 33-50 dps. You be the judge if you think it is significant because I know what I consider it.

On the other hand for RP purposes...:)

Edited by Veluthurk

who gives a rats azz if kira is min maxed? you arent taking her into an ops with you.if you like the single sabre while questing use it.none of her abilities needs a double. if your a person that only uses the best doc will make kira irrelevent.

If you're a min/maxer the question is irrelevant. Just upgrade her default weapon with the best mods you can.

If you want the single saber for RP/Style reasons then go for it. Sure she'll do a smidge less damage but not in any way that will meaningfully matter. It would be different if companions could be brought into operations, but they can't. Just make sure you keep the mods as up to date as possible and you should be fine.

I have something of a personal rule of thumb, where I allow my companions to wear exactly one piece of sub-optimal gear for RP/Style reasons. For example, I let Gault wear a light hooded tunic because of a graphic glitch that lets the horns poke through the hood if you put a full helmet on him. (The look amuses me) I make sure the tunic is slotted correctly for his stats, and he shouldn't be tanking anyways, so the fact its a light piece has almost no impact on him.

But just a little thing I do to make my companions a little different from everyone else's.

Edited by CutlassJack