Realistic Race Ideas

Antares_Navaar

The whole thing about the species was big before the release of the game. Many (me included) weren't happy with the current selections which consists mainly of humans, green humans, blind humans, blue humans, pasty white humans, horned humans, slightly deformed red humans and Twi'leks. On the other side of the fence there were arguments like: "Too outlandish alien species (like Rodians or Wookiees) would make romance look stupid", "The main characters in Star Wars were always humans anyway" and "Too outlandish or weird-looking alien species would be a pain to synchronize with the gear (clipping, remodeling etc.)".

Now that the game is out and I've seen it in actuality, I'd say that the following species have the best chances:

- Togruta. The best chance of all. They look humanoid enough, with normal faces and facial features. Certainly, they are not any more outlandish than the Twi'leks. There is a romancable Togruta companion in the actual game (Ashara), so that wouldn't be a problem, and if they have decided she can be a companion - meaning being geared up through the game - then the equipment graphical troubles shouldn't be a real problem too.

Besides, I'd think that with the Clone Wars cartoon, the Togruta would be a popular choice.

- Cathar. Very good chances. Felines are always popular, and they are an established species for BioWare since as early as KOTOR. Their appearance makes them very easy to gear without graphical troubles, and we already have a Cathar companion (Aric).

- Nautolan. Not as good chances as the Togruta's. While not insanely outlandish, they don't look as humanoid as the current races. Their faces are not hideous or weird, true, but I don't know if BioWare would deem them normal enough. On the other hand, their tentacles shouldn't be harder to pull off with the gear than the lekkus or the Togruta things. And they are quite popular species with the fans, too. I actually would love to roll a Nautolan character (though not a Jedi :p).

- Chagrians. They are extremely similair to the Togruta as far as the appearance goes, which is a good thing. We also have a Chagrian companion (Fideltin Rusk), even though he's not romancable. The bad thing is that they're not popular.

- Shistavanens. Because the furries will rejoice :D Joke aside, lupine species seem to be reasonably popular in RPGs in general (and WoW has the Worgens, so there's that). Their appearance is not that outlandish, though I fear that romance would look rather odd. Gearing them up shouldn't be an insolvable problem. Still, not extremely popular, a bit weird... not the best chances.

- Devaronians. Very human-like, so appearance isn't a problem as far as aesthetics and gear go. We also have a Devaronian companion (Gault). Trouble is, we already have horned humans, so the chances are rather slim.

And I think that's it. People hoping for Jawas, Wookiees or Rodians are up for a disappointment, IMO.

Edited by alricka

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

V See sig, and BEFORE anyone says it. Shistavanens were around long before WoW and their worgans and stupid Twilight werewolves, in ANH. Besides its shown right there, in the wiki link they can wear shirts and pants and bracers. I guess for boots, hands, head you might need to do what they do with Bowdaar and Guss with you can equip it just not see it. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

V See sig, and BEFORE anyone says it. Shistavanens were around long before WoW and their worgans and stupid Twilight werewolves, in ANH. Besides its shown right there, in the wiki link they can wear shirts and pants and bracers. I guess for boots, hands, head you might need to do what they do with Bowdaar and Guss with you can equip it just not see it.

I'm with you, man. I'm all for more diversity in the species selection, and Shistavanens are as cool as anything else. I think they have a better chance to be in the game than most races, but not as good as others.

I'm with you, man. I'm all for more diversity in the species selection, and Shistavanens are as cool as anything else. I think they have a better chance to be in the game than most races, but not as good as others.

Well maybe this will change their minds. :p

0:25-0:35

For Shistavanen ******ery. Voovif Monn is so awesome, he just summoned gunships with his presence.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Togruta, Nautolan and Chagrians

The only things that these 3 would suffer from, is what the Twi'lek's suffer from, and that would be their Head-tail & Montrails (Togruta), Tendrils (Nautolans), Lethorns (Chagrians + the Top Horns of the Male Chagrians).

Those things could cause those 3 to possibly not become Playable sadly.

As for the Shistavanen, their Wolf Like Appearance could cause them to not be made Playable.

acording to wookipedia wookies can learn other languages quite easily .:w_mad:

Yeah, learn to understand. But they couldn't SPEAK any other Language except for the one Wookiee who could be understood due to a (rare) Speech Impediment.

Edited by Altyrell

The only things that these 3 would suffer from, is what the Twi'lek's suffer from, and that would be their Head-tail & Montrails (Togruta), Tendrils (Nautolans), Lethorns (Chagrians + the Top Horns of the Male Chagrians).

Those things could cause those 3 to possibly not become Playable sadly.

As for the Shistavanen, their Wolf Like Appearance could cause them to not be made Playable.

My idea is that if they can make it work with the Twi'leks, then there is no logistical reason why they can't do it with Togruta, Nautolans and Chagrians. It's the same principle, really. Wether they'll do it is another topic altogether, but I just can't see a reason not to.

With the Shistavanen, the wolf-like appearance is both a blessing and a curse.

On one hand, it's badas* and lupine species are among the favorite tropes for fantasy and RPGs in general; besides, the Big Competitor has a lupine species in their character selection, so if I was a major developer, I'd look into it.

On the other hand, however, the wolfish appearance would make for some odd moments, especially in romance; and the fact that the Big Competitor has lupines can just as easily become a discouragement lest they be accused of plagiarism.

As a whole, I don't really think that we'd see playable Shistavanens in SWTOR, but it's still a better chance than most species.

Edited by alricka

Kel Dor !!! how are most of you naming several species and forgetting Kel Dor! The race is already present in game, they speak basic and they are a humanoid species.

The Kel Dor are a popular species, but sadly I don't see them making it as playable species considering the self-imposed restrictions about how the playable character should look. The Kel Dor are just too morbid - during the Jedi quests on Tython a Kel Dor quest giver even commented on that. BioWare won't go for it.

Edited by alricka

Theres already races in the game. You can make yourself asian or black or white or whatever. Those are some of the RACES that you can make your human character be :)

All semantics.

We are all part of the human race. German Asian Hispanic Anglosaxon are all Ethnic backgrounds of the same Human race.

Look at the planet of the apes

Chimpanzee

Gorilla

Orangutan

There are different Species but all APES.

You say Toemaytoe I say toemahtoe.

Paper bag or sack?

All semantics lol..

The Kel Dor are a popular species, but sadly I don't see them making it as playable species considering the self-imposed restrictions about how the playable character should look. The Kel Dor are just too morbid - during the Jedi quests on Tython a Kel Dor quest giver even commented on that. BioWare won't go for it.

Yeah how about we'll let Bioware decide that :) im not accepting that kind of stuff from anyone except Bioware.

Too morbid? thats not a valid reason for not adding Kel Dor, besides not everyone shares that opinion.

Should Bioware say that Kel Dor won't be added as a playable species then so be it tough luck for me, until that time i'll keep hoping :)

Edited by Must

When they say humanoid I suspect they only meant body type / size, not necessarily facial features.

For example http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Herglic is not humanoid. Kel Dor are though.

Yeah how about we'll let Bioware decide that :) im not accepting that kind of stuff from anyone except Bioware.

Too morbid? thats not a valid reason for not adding Kel Dor, besides not everyone shares that opinion.

Should Bioware say that Kel Dor won't be added as a playable species then so be it tough luck for me, until that time i'll keep hoping :)

For starters, my own opinion is that the bigger the diversity the better (and the diversity in the current selction of multi-colored humans is lacking to say the least). I'd love to have the option to choose a Kel Dor, not because I personally want to play as one - I don't - but because it would help freshen things up.

However, the whole discussion is about realistic ideas and possibilities. Hence why I think that the Kel Dor (and other popular species like Wookiees, Rodians or Jawas) will never make it - BioWare themselves have explained their choices of the species with a desire to make the playable character easy for the players to identify with. In other words - no outlandish aliens. This is not something I conjured up. It's the reason why our choice of species consists of humans, blind humans, horned humans, red humans, green humans, blue humans, pasty white humans and Twi'leks.

And that alone rules out species that don't fit the pattern. Hence the best chances of realistic possiblities when it comes to possible future species are of those that fit the pattern - like Togruta or Cathar. The Kel Dor just don't fit.

Of course, you are free to disagree and I actually would be glad to be proven wrong by getting the Kel Dor as a playable race, but I don't believe it's ever gonna happen. Not because I say so, but because it's a part of the restrictions BioWare has imposed on the game themselves.

For starters, my own opinion is that the bigger the diversity the better (and the diversity in the current selction of multi-colored humans is lacking to say the least). I'd love to have the option to choose a Kel Dor, not because I personally want to play as one - I don't - but because it would help freshen things up.

However, the whole discussion is about realistic ideas and possibilities. Hence why I think that the Kel Dor (and other popular species like Wookiees, Rodians or Jawas) will never make it - BioWare themselves have explained their choices of the species with a desire to make the playable character easy for the players to identify with. In other words - no outlandish aliens. This is not something I conjured up. It's the reason why our choice of species consists of humans, blind humans, horned humans, red humans, green humans, blue humans, pasty white humans and Twi'leks.

And that alone rules out species that don't fit the pattern. Hence the best chances of realistic possiblities when it comes to possible future species are of those that fit the pattern - like Togruta or Cathar. The Kel Dor just don't fit.

Of course, you are free to disagree and I actually would be glad to be proven wrong by getting the Kel Dor as a playable race, but I don't believe it's ever gonna happen. Not because I say so, but because it's a part of the restrictions BioWare has imposed on the game themselves.

I have to agree with Deyjarl, i think they mean bodytype and not facial features. But we will just have to wait and see, i for one hope Bioware realizes that the restrictions they have imposed are very foolish to put it mildly.

This is STAR WARS not Human Wars. Look at SWG for example, they had rodians, Mon Cal and Ithorians to name a few and that worked perfectly fine.

"BioWare themselves have explained their choices of the species with a desire to make the playable character easy for the players to identify with."

Really Bioware? Really!? i think it's just another lame excuse for doing things their way. One of the most important aspects of Star Wars is the enormous diversity in species, Bioware just ignored that and gave us humans with different colours.

I don't care how good the story aspect of SWTOR is, it won't ever be enough to just skip on different species.

For now i'll wait for maybe 6 months and see how the game changes, if they keep being stubborn and leave out such important aspects of the Star Wars world then i'll just stop subbing.

I might just be one person but im sure there are other people who agree that the aspect of different species is just too important to ignore.

Sorry for the small rant :p

Edited by Must

Most likely new species to be added are the ones that already exist in the game, can wear all the existing armor, and possibly aren't only able to speak an alien language (meaning able to speak basic).

If they don't care about putting in some alien voice acting there are more choices.

My guess of the more likely candidates for new playable species, in no particular order, are:

Weequay, Cathar, Sarkhai, Voss, and Nikto. These would be the easiest to add in.

Maybe Kaleesh, Devaronian, Chagrian, Togruta if they treat the non-standard head-parts like they do the Twi'lek Lekku, and just don't display them with helmets.

Possibly Bothan, Rodian, Sullustan, Bith, and Trandoshan if they don't mind the speech thing.

I hope to see Gran.

Ultimately while any new Species has to have 2 arms 2 legs and roughly human proportions so that armour and animation work Bioware really missed a trick having so many humans and near humans.

It seems crazy to me to have human and near human as the only options. For people that are not interested in alien species humans are what they want to play. Even near humans aren't very appealing and hold no real interest. For people that want to play strange and wonderful creatures then near humans lack any real appeal of such a play style. So by having green humans and blind humans and grey bald humans you aren't offering as much as having some of the other species in the star wars universe.