Huttball.. do people think scoring gives you a reward or something?

Sparcrypt

OP, I completely agree.

There is a remedy to this situation in many cases though. I know you shouldn't *have* to do this, but I have found that at least half of the time, if I calmly type in /ops how to pass, they will do it.

Some people legitimately make it to level 50 and still haven't realized that there is a pass ball button. Many who do find this button think that all you need to do is target someone then hit it - they don't realize they need to throw it on the ground underneat them.

My only suggestion is to try to calmly and concisely explain how to pass if they aren't doing it. Sometime I'll even do it at the beginning of the match (again, not in a condescending way) if I suspect it's a lot of new players (i.e., based on their gear).

Again, I don't think we should have to do this, but, we were all new at one point so I just try and relate with them.

And yes, I do realize that some people do know how to pass and they simply don't. Nothing can be done in these cases.. they pay to play like we do so it's really just not worth getting too upset with them.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not everyone is as awsome as you are. also cannot pass when CC'd or stun locked. with the crappy camera zoom not panning back nearly far enough all we can see is the 7 enemies beating on us and cannot see 'you' standing on a ledge above or behind us. that or maybe they just don't like you spamming "pass, pass, ***... why are you noobz no pass" so they're ignoring you

I'm AWESOME as he is.

1. When I go for score FIRST I check bridge on my side (he have more chance to switch bridge than me going to the other side under fire)

2. If I see someone between him and me that could pass the ball to him, I pass the ball

3. If I'm pushed back or pulled/grapled FIRSt I do is to look at bridges if I can pass to someone OR I move camera around to find someone I can pass - even if this kill me

4. When I see ball carrier I RUN IN FRONT and STOP to receive the ball - we move FASTER than they

5. When I see carrier pulled / pushed I POSITION myself to receive the ball

What WOULD be AWESOME:

1. If you see me carrying the ball, GO TO THE BRIDGE so I can pass

2. If you see carrier and someone on bridges that is too far - position yourself to get the ball and pass it to guy in the bridge

3. If you see me pushed, pulled - DON'T JUMP TO "help me". Stay where you are (on the bridge) and prepare to receive the ball

4. If you see me carrying ball, RUN IN FRONT so you can get the ball. When you get the ball I will move in front, we will move like in natural speed

5. When I'm pulled / pushed, get ready to receive the ball

For everyone who dont have idea how to play huttball..

-- Help your team to Make your score +3

-- Stay in the mid Hold the ball and own some kills/meds/etc..

its not simple yea. but thats my tact and i always win as a Team..

I'm AWESOME as he is.

1. When I go for score FIRST I check bridge on my side (he have more chance to switch bridge than me going to the other side under fire)

2. If I see someone between him and me that could pass the ball to him, I pass the ball

3. If I'm pushed back or pulled/grapled FIRSt I do is to look at bridges if I can pass to someone OR I move camera around to find someone I can pass - even if this kill me

4. When I see ball carrier I RUN IN FRONT and STOP to receive the ball - we move FASTER than they

5. When I see carrier pulled / pushed I POSITION myself to receive the ball

What WOULD be AWESOME:

1. If you see me carrying the ball, GO TO THE BRIDGE so I can pass

2. If you see carrier and someone on bridges that is too far - position yourself to get the ball and pass it to guy in the bridge

3. If you see me pushed, pulled - DON'T JUMP TO "help me". Stay where you are (on the bridge) and prepare to receive the ball

4. If you see me carrying ball, RUN IN FRONT so you can get the ball. When you get the ball I will move in front, we will move like in natural speed

5. When I'm pulled / pushed, get ready to receive the ball

I recently realized, that there is no need for being a voice coordinated premade in huttball - everyone just has to stick to the above rules of thumb (as well as some others like 'take control of mid if ball is about to reset, etc.') and you're good to go.

Huttball is so fastpaced, dynamic and situational that you'll always be behind the action, if you have to call out and coordinate the above moves.

Why are people still queueing warzones solo? I know exactly what you mean, but to stop that **** I will only ever join with friends who I know damn well can read and write english and KNOWS HOW TO PASS.

Oh and yes I know there are still 4 other players that can get the ball, but trust me IF THEY DON'T PASS, and just ball hog they will be force pulled into a fire pit.

Edited by Dlema

I recently realized, that there is no need for being a voice coordinated premade in huttball - everyone just has to stick to the above rules of thumb (as well as some others like 'take control of mid if ball is about to reset, etc.') and you're good to go.

Huttball is so fastpaced, dynamic and situational that you'll always be behind the action, if you have to call out and coordinate the above moves.

Well most EPIC hutball player (I won't mention his name because it's a shame that people like that play in PVP) I ever encounter was pushed back under the bridges near enemy base. I was like 10m from him INSIDE THEIR BASE.

All he need is to pass me the ball. All I need is to move like 5m and score. So I stand there like idiot and he fight some dude. Then 3 other jump him and killed him. He have LOOOOOT OF TIME to pass the ball (he was not under CC most of the time) and yet he didn't. They killed him, some players jump on me and killed me to (well obvious - i was standing in their base for almost 2m).

I asked him on chat WHY THE HELL YOU DIDN'T PASS ME THAT BALL ??

He answered:

I WAS FIGHTING YOU NOOB !

Did I mention - this guy had lvl 50 ?? This kind of noobs we have in WZ.

Yeah, there are lots of those kind (and it's the worst - I can tolerate newbishness, but combine it with rudeness and you're a 5 star idiot....), I know. Fortunately, I meet a lot of decent players along the way as well.

But, what I meant was the observation that it doesn't really matter if you're a premade of decent players in vent or just teamed with random, decent players. If everyone thinks ahead and pulls his weight, there is no need for further coordination.

This might change a little with 8v8 ofc.

Edited by wtfnonamefree

Yeah, there are lots of those kind (and it's the worst - I can tolerate newbishness, but combine it with rudeness and you're a 5 star idiot....), I know. Fortunately, I meet a lot of decent players along the way as well.

But, what I meant was the observation that it doesn't really matter if you're a premade of decent players in vent or just teamed with random, decent players. If everyone thinks ahead and pulls his weight, there is no need for further coordination.

This might change a little with 8v8 ofc.

Biggest proof for that is when I joined in WZ with my 3 friends that know what they are doing before medal patch it was like this:

~ 5:0 for us in around 2m (best scenerio, my friend go to upper bridge and I carry ball below, people jump on my and I pass ball to him - they have all jumps etc on cooldown and he is alone with easy road to victory)

~ we were farming medals and stats for the rest of the match

~ most UGLY tactic we were doing is to kill few enemies (me as operative and they were focusing fire on my target [ sorc + powertech ] + warrior jugg ), get the ball... pass the ball to enemy and kill him :-D Lot of objective points for that one :-D

Most ppl are very slow, surprise me how many have even been able to install the game.

Don't know how many times the ball carrier have been surrounded by enemys and i have been in perfect position for pass but instead he choose to slowly walk over firepit with no resolve.

Same with ppl that do not have enough dps to take down the ball carrier, why do you fill up the resolve just before the fire?

Sometimes i wish there was no other ppl in mmos :p

I think voip would help this problem so much, why that is not ingame i do not understand. That is the main reason premades are so much better since they use voip.

hey go to left ramp i will pull you or im on ramp above you, pass me. i will score head back to middle.

What baffles me is the amout of people that think huttball is more like rugby than american fotball, I am allowed to pass forward you know...

If I have the ball don't crowd up around me and try to kill the ones attacking me because they're gonna be hitting me anyway... Run ahead so I can pass someone before I die.

I hear ya ,re passing, i usually do , but sometimes fumble .

My biggest frustration is those 2 elevating devices each side of centre, is it possible to determine direction? I have approached backwards ,spun in mid air , but seem to end up every place i dont want too,

I hear ya ,re passing, i usually do , but sometimes fumble .

My biggest frustration is those 2 elevating devices each side of centre, is it possible to determine direction? I have approached backwards ,spun in mid air , but seem to end up every place i dont want too,

They have a patern, you just don't see it, besides only noobs use the vent when there are ramps or someone to pass to.

Well patience is the best approach, encouraging good passing, raging is no good to anyone. Soon as I see anyone "ffs" in chat I know they're an idiot.

Huttball is a cc stun fest which is why great passing can win the pionts, its pretty hard to find the time to type and when you come across good players that read the game and can do passing it's great.

However I have been stun locked and cc'd for about 30 seconds whilst being healed, trying to pass. A combination of bad mechanics, animations, stuns and lag can only be the cause of this, quite frustrating that.

I agree to many but not all posts so far. But what makes me partly sick in many of these posts is the attitude of others being noobish, idiots etc . PvP is like any other part of a game - you have to learn the ropes, the tricks , the tactic.

My constant experience in WZs is simply lack of communications by those who think they know what they are doing. They ASSUME too many things are known by everyone, then they wait until things go bad or wrong and only critize instead of taking a lead from scratch, giving some simple ops commands or hints and help the team.

I have a lot of trouble with the whole passing thing myself - for various reasons stated already - getting immediatley ganked by a whole group which wether leaves me stunned or the pass ability will simply not work - getting a cursor and pointing it to another player is partly impossible as the only thing i see are the enemies around me.

As for the OP - why in earth dont you announce something like: I am going to play position for passes at xx xy positions - that would be much more helpful than complaining afterwards in a out-of-game forum.

I wonder if most people even know how to pass, cause as stupid as it is to me looking back at it now, I did not know how to pass for my 1st 15 or so levels of playing Huttball. Seriously. I did not know that the pass mechanic was an AoE. I'd have the ball, I'd click on someone else's raid frames picture who I wanted to pass the ball to & then I'd be confused that the ball would just.not.leave.me.w.t.h? So I'd end up running around with the ball like an idiot until I died. I did not know that I was supposed to click on the actual player or the ground they're standing on & I don't know why I did not know that. As a matter of fact, I originally thought I was supposed to tab-target my team mates if I wanted to pass them the ball. Like I said it's stupid I know & I hope that the people I was playing with way back then have since forgiven me since I have become a much better Huttball player since then or at least a Huttball player who knows how to pass the bloody ball now. :p Edited by Tricky-Ha

Yeah, I hate when people do that.

When I am playing my Juggernaut, I will of course hold the ball instead of passing in most situations unless I have no cooldowns or healer around... meaning, if I am going to die, I will pass. Sometimes passing isn't the best thing to do, because I know as a Juggernaut I am also always looking around just waiting for their ball carrier to make a pass, so I can force charge to the person I know he is going to throw it to, and intercept it. So sometimes it's better not to pass, but in most situations (i.e. dying) you better try to pass.

I agree, it is usually the excuse of "being stunned" when you call people out in /ops. I have eyes, I know a stun, and I know you can't move while stunned, yet in nearly all cases people use that as an excuse, and calling them out usually results in them calling you bad and other ludicrous claims. And while I don't give a damn what that person says or thinks, I've noticed most of the time I look like the bad guy and don't get as many MVP votes as I normally do.

Also, what further pisses me off, instead of just people who don't pass, are the ones who pass too much. Funny that one can pass too much, but when I am healing on my sorcerer, I cannot stand when people pass me the ball when we're on their ramp. I don't care that you have to cross the fire; you're at 100% and I am healing you and there's no one close by to stun you on the fire. Oh, too bad. Here, have a pass. If force speed isn't up, I'm stuck in a situation where I cannot heal myself and move forward, the other person often times tries to stay mid, and my team moronically killed a few of the enemies and I have to march through a few defenders.

Basically, Huttball is good in that it requires focus and understanding. This just doesn't happen in pugs that well, so it's better to take Huttball for what it is: a fun game that you can't take seriously.

Some people are just bad...

Was in a huttball earlier where a jugg was surrounded by 4+ people getting pummeled I was on the top ramp wide open for a pass with my force speed up and to my surprise HE SAW ME! but did he pass with his sliver of life? no he interceded to me with no health and proceeded to stand there, marauder leaped and killed him in one shot and threw it away. I wanted to punch him in the face as if he would have passed instead of do what he did do we would have had a guaranteed score as I had every single cooldown up.

Stuff like that is what makes me hate swtor pvp more than anything else... even as a premade right now you can still be stuck with 4 other guys who are just horrible.

I agree i would not consider 4 guys and 4 randoms a premade.

Three reasons for this phenomenon...

1) They're dense (aka, clueless)

2) They're just plain bad

3) They don't care and are trying to be the hero.

All three are equally frustrating to deal with.

The solution of course is to quit plaing with PUGs, plain and simple.

You're missing one reason, which is why I'm most likely not to pass.

4. They don't care enough to have passing keybound.

I wonder if most people even know how to pass, cause as stupid as it is to me looking back at it now, I did not know how to pass for my 1st 15 or so levels of playing Huttball. Seriously. I did not know that the pass mechanic was an AoE. I'd have the ball, I'd click on someone else's raid frames picture who I wanted to pass the ball to & then I'd be confused that the ball would just.not.leave.me.w.t.h? So I'd end up running around with the ball like an idiot until I died. I did not know that I was supposed to click on the actual player or the ground they're standing on & I don't know why I did not know that. As a matter of fact, I originally thought I was supposed to tab-target my team mates if I wanted to pass them the ball. Like I said it's stupid I know & I hope that the people I was playing with way back then have since forgiven me since I have become a much better Huttball player since then or at least a Huttball player who knows how to pass the bloody ball now. :p

Exactly this!!!!! I think that is the same trouble most of us have had - description is lousy and if your quickbar is already filled up you dont even see there is an ability to pass the ball being added when you enter Hutball first time. As being european neither American Football or Rougby are my kind of sports btw - so the whole concept needs a better description if we want better players from start.

You're missing one reason, which is why I'm most likely not to pass.

4. They don't care enough to have passing keybound.

Did you realize this was the PVP forum and this is a PVP thread?

Oh, you probably don't care about that, either, huh?

personally since currently this game forces me to play with random idiots I only pass to players I know

there are many reason for this mostly I can only trust the player I know better to throw ball and reset to the middle than give it to some of these clowns

Against bads, sure.

I cant tell you how much "voice" helps when you're up against a good team. We just recently had a 5-5 scoring game which came down to last possession as time ran out and im going to say that our VOIP secured us the win.

At aprox 30 seconds left, we had possession and were under lots of pressure. I broke off from the crowd and went to mid. I then said in TS that he could ground the ball if he needed to because I was here waiting. Mind you, this is 30 seconds left...

10 seconds later he says... "Ok, im dumping it." and I start getting ready to spam click the totem in the center. As soon as the announcer said "What a terrible pass!" I see all the red names coming around the corner and sprinting towards the center. Apparently I didnt see the assassin or w/e behind me and someone in TS yells "WATCH OUT". As soon as I heard that my finger started hovering over F2 (my keybond for Resolute). Not even 1 second later the ball spawns and it gives me the error that I cant pick up the ball while stunned as im already clicking it. I hit F2 and use Resolve, grab the ball, blow all my defensive CD's and started running towards our spawn as the last few seconds tick down.

I'm going to say that the call in TS is what saved it. I guess I really wont know for sure.

Being in Vent/TS or w/e really helps because its easier to PTT than to type everything. When you have good players in Vent its almost like having eyes everywhere. There have even been instances where people were calling out players to leap to, stealthers in the end zone, and above/below threats or possible targets.