Considering respecing to Kinetic Combat

Kotlx

I'm a standard burst infiltration build;

0/33/8

and I'm considering respecing to this build focused on high survivability coupled with nasty regen and project spam

31/1/9

My gearset is pretty standard for a fresh 50. Just got my first 2 epic mods (50 enhancement and 51 hilt on my saber). I have no problem regearing for the role, especially when 1.2 comes out (buy blue set). My question to you is, in pvp, what is your opinion on the tank build and what are my stat priorities as a kinetic combat pvp?

I'm a standard burst infiltration build;

0/33/8

and I'm considering respecing to this build focused on high survivability coupled with nasty regen and project spam

31/1/9

My gearset is pretty standard for a fresh 50. Just got my first 2 epic mods (50 enhancement and 51 hilt on my saber). I have no problem regearing for the role, especially when 1.2 comes out (buy blue set). My question to you is, in pvp, what is your opinion on the tank build and what are my stat priorities as a kinetic combat pvp?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rcrozrskrsZZf0cM.1

Why not the 25% regen rate for 6 seconds exiting stealth?

It might be personally preference, but i feel in the long run you want the greater reduction in force cost for DBL strike, and project, especially if you get a long string of unlocky DBL's trying to proc PA.

If you enter a fight, especially the longer it is, the permanent force cost reduction of DBL strike will benefit you more than that regen of six seconds out of stealth.

This might be just a personal play preference, but I believe the static reduction in this case is better and gets better than longer you are in the fray.

Give it a try to balance instead, you will be amazed of how it performs. Infiltration simply put blows.

I'd disagree with that. The queued up burst after cooldowns is just stupid if everything crits.

Getting tired of the lack of major utility/survivability, though.

It might be personally preference, but i feel in the long run you want the greater reduction in force cost for DBL strike, and project, especially if you get a long string of unlocky DBL's trying to proc PA.

If you enter a fight, especially the longer it is, the permanent force cost reduction of DBL strike will benefit you more than that regen of six seconds out of stealth.

This might be just a personal play preference, but I believe the static reduction in this case is better and gets better than longer you are in the fray.

Good point. Thanks for the tip.

I'd disagree with that. The queued up burst after cooldowns is just stupid if everything crits.

It blows because if someone notices you, you are pretty screwed, light armor etc, you are pretty squishy.

The burst is nice yes, but literally if you can stay in the shadows.

I do good damage as a kinetic in dps gear and am obviously a lot more tanky.

IF. IF everything crits. However, if not... then what? :> So pretty much if you crit 2xCS in row, then have Force Potency ready for project and force breach as well as adrenal and relic, you will probably kill someone unguarded, you not being taunted, CCed in some form (like pulled away or knocked back into a snare and root w/e).

That's the problem. I like the thematic of infiltration, but in practice it doesn't work. So you blow all your CDs to nuke 1 dude. Then you're like waddle waddle to next target if still alive? I mean really, the design of current Warzones is focused on prolonged engagements between both teams, how are you helping your team if you pop only every 2 minutes when you have all cds, and even then pray you hit a non guarded target, you don't get CCed while setting up, you don't get taunted, and must be a light armor or else your burst is not so stupid anymore?

If you really love it, play it by any means, but I already feel sorry every time we meet shadow or sin inf / deception in WZs, as they are so predictable and easy to control to prevent any harm done, is not even funny anymore. I take 2s root on 9s cd from sever force any time over low slash 15s cd 4s incapacitate which breaks on damage and gives a really nice boost to resolve.

Honestly it is all how you set ya character and keys up and how you play them! It does not matter who says what, until you learn the class you are not going to be as good or better then the next person who can do better!

I for one was a Defense stacker till just a few days ago i decided to go all damage (Critical, Surge, Power) and i am still set the way i was when i was Defense stacker the only thing that changed was the stuff in my armor! And below is the same template i have been using all along and i get around 7-9 Medals a match in PvP and do around 175K-200K damage per match! And yes i use Guard, but only for the healers, because unless they are guarded, they go down to easy!

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rIRokrokrsZZfbc.1

What stats do I want to PvP in tank spec? Am I supposed to put on a shield and use tanking gear and tank stats? OR do I use dps gear instead?

If you want to use the Shadow Tank PvP spec to it's fullest then you stat like you're a DPS spec.

Willpower Power Crit and Surge. You can use a shield or focus in your off hand. I use a shield some use a focus.

The DPS you can put out as a Shadow tank is quite remarkable and believe it or not it can be a bit busty if you open up on someone who is unguarded or under geared.

Until they make some changes to the Infl Shadow Kinetic or Balance for PvP IMO.

the 5% damage loss is melee bonus damage. almost all of your dps comes from force powers, project, slow time, telekenetic throw. double strike is affected but it is really filler for activating procs. the only thing that is affected that youd notice is spinning strike (or whatever the 30% hp finnisher is called) but that still hits for over 4k on soft targets and when timed with a project is basically going to finnish of someone for sure.

i personally do very good damage in combat, 300-400k in spamstar, 250-300 in alderan or huttball if im not ballrunning.

I am a low level, so I haven't pvped yet, but in leveling I don't hardly take any damage in combat technique, even with pulling aggro off of Qyzen, I heal a lot with the proc, almost every 2nd attack, so I always end up with about 95% health left, I like it.

the 5% damage loss is melee bonus damage. almost all of your dps comes from force powers, project, slow time, telekenetic throw. double strike is affected but it is really filler for activating procs. the only thing that is affected that youd notice is spinning strike (or whatever the 30% hp finnisher is called) but that still hits for over 4k on soft targets and when timed with a project is basically going to finnish of someone for sure.

i personally do very good damage in combat, 300-400k in spamstar, 250-300 in alderan or huttball if im not ballrunning.

Yup spot on

Kinetic Shadow isn't about putting up awe inspiring DPS numbers. It's about utility. I have 4 ways to interrupt someone I can pull people into fire and acid. I can pull people who are about to cap a node or pull someone trying to run away with low health. My slow time reduces damage out put my taunts do the same thing.

Spinning strike is really awesome if you time it with a knock down kick. If there at 30% Hit em with Project knock em down then double strike em.

you need to be in combat basically for the guaranteed crit on project, this is where alot of your damage comes in.

also one thing to keep in mind is that almost all of kinetics damage is well, kinetic and even though its mostly all force it still mitigated by armor. force breach is internal but doesnt hit that hard so focus on medium to light armor classes and youll do alot more damage. were not the best class for bursting down a tank. smugglers/ops or pyro BH/assault vanguards does alot better

Edited by Fuggles

You know, my gut instinct is to try to convince you to go Balance. It's what I've been doing ever since I gave it a try and loved it. But I think I'm done with that. I'm rather enjoying playing the spec that 4/5 Shadows think is "decent" or "Low DPS" or "only good for PvE", and doing really well at it.

So by all means, go Kinetic. Balance is horrible. I mean it. :cool:

link?

Same as this 23/0/18 spec http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rcrokdskZZf0cRrMz.1

Except I took the point out of Force Strike and put it into shadow respite for 25% regen. I feel just as tanky as 31/0/10, with almost equal utility, having the instant force lift is amazing imo...I also do about 50k-100k more dmg a match with 23/1/17 then I do with 31/0/10.

I roll KC only in pvp. Being able to slap guard, taunt, slow time, and force breach around means I can potentially reduce damage a focus target takes by 90%.

In a 2v2 fight this is greatly superior to anything you can do as balance or infiltration.