Feedback request from James Ohlen: PvP

StephenReid

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey why not DELETE the fact that servers are instanced meaning i could be in corellia 1 and the republic players are in corellia say 25 that is what really annoys me about this game i join pvp servers for WORLD pvp one this game has no kind of world pvp such as Keeps or citys or even world zones that work.

also the fact if you want to raid on somones capital city and beat there big boss down you cant in this game and to be honest pvp in this game has sucked i remember you guys said back in a E3 a year or 2 ago saying pvp we cant give details but got big plans.

What happend to these plans? for one valor is a joke fact that people glitched there way to BM 60 and still have BM 60 and can destroy all at 50 pvp who isnt bm 60 really sucks balls. 2nd there no world pvp events or content that works on pvp servers. also world citys are blocked off.

3rd id like to see a bounty system where players can collect bountys made by other players who got ganked by somone else. How i would implement this is ok player 1 kills player 2 player 2 puts a cash reward up if wanted min cost to put up at 50 say 20k quest goes out to terimals or couriers in every city of apposing players fraction quest gives all players who see it and then players activate some kind of tracking droid that finds and tracks there player the player then travels to there planet and gives option ok player in this instance would u like to join if there in party offers party. after player or party is there they find and gank player by using there tracker droid to find them and after the player dies quest disapears and the player gets cash reward unless the party has quest then cash is shared out and an email is sent to the player who set the bounty saying so and so collected the bounty. Also if somone just collects a bounty and say the player they just collected it on has another bounty up on his head they cant collect the same one for 24 hours.

Also if you guys do this and still keep correscunt up you could maybay give then debuff saying cant enter capital or home worlds until 1 or 2 hours.

And if they log off quest goes blank and says player cant be found

then when back on gives them warning saying player is live

Big warzones like ilum, that would have multiple objectives, many ways to gain victory, make people stratigice a little. I would also like to see warzones where the factions fight each other with no respawn.

My favourite moments in the Star Wars movies have always been the big space battles, I know it might be out of reach but its worth mentioning. Ship vs Ship battles! move between ships (guild capital ship battle?) destroy them, steal them or what ever:p

You better have it up on the wall of crazy atleast :D

CC is a bit over the top, I'm all for slowing movement speeds but the frequency and length of time you can be stunned is far too often/long IMO

I agree here i really want to see a system that aoc added after seing this problem where after you are stunned feared or kb you cant be until say a couple seconds later

hmm very good question,

all in all more strategic and less stun, bump, stun, much to much stuning ...

maybe something like build up a base and defend it or

conquer a base with defences and players or troops and players,

I guess that would be some kind of siege style .

Or some types of combat in the city, cantinas, temples or so,

or like attacking or defending a city / neighborhood.

also i always like cicled open world pvp events from place to place or

pvp open area to pvp open area, with or without npcs for example.

or a permanent kind of space station or ship or fleet where pvp is happening somehow

that all servers even could acces, if it wouldnt cause lag madness lol,

with a safe zone, combat zone, duel zone, loads to arenas, bounties etc...

just ideas

Edited by ODTONE

My suggestion:

Rework/overhaul the resolve system. There is too much CC in PvP. Resolve needs to fill up quicker and stay full longer. Half the time I am dead when I have a full white bar and it is all wasted. Snares and roots need to either check/fill resolve or there needs to be diminishing returns introduced on those types of CC.

There are times in Huttball I take one step, rooted, two steps, rooted, knocked back, one step, rooted, snared, two steps, rooted... etc. it's never ending. Melee is especially disadvantaged.

Also, as part of this rework -- the stun-breaker should confer 3-5 second immunity to another CC effect. Too often you burn it and are immediately stunned or rooted again and it is all a waste. Most stuns are on a 1min CD and the breaker is 2min -- so chances are someone has their stun up while most don't have their breaker.

only take out expertise if we can run HM ops in whatever gear we can get from pvp in your utopia please.

Hence, the part where I said "PVP and PVE gear on a level playing field".

You read good.

Edit: For the cheap seats...

By "level playing field" I mean, PVP gear and PVE gear of equal tiers/levels are equally viable in both PVE and PVP.

Further explanation (for the even cheaper seats...)

A PVE'er can use his/her PVE/Ops gear in PVP/WZ's, etc

A PVP'er can use his/her PVP gear in HM's/Ops, etc

Better?

Edited by DarthNethus

The out of combat timer is allegedly 8 seconds. Give us the option to turn on an out of combat countdown timer.

1) Every class has a recuperate-like ability to regain health and resources. Many MMOs have a way to do this, but SWTORs regeneration is especially powerful (from zero to full in 15 seconds). Also, don't allow ticks from a DoT to interrupt its effect!

2) Stealth classes are heavily reliant on out-of-combat mechanics and this timer would help them too.

3) This timer, in combination with a full combat log(!), can help us identify bugs in the out of combat countdown (very often takes longer than 8 seconds).

Edited by xDJFx

Please sir do not look at this thread and think that all pvpers want expertise gone. I am currently on my 3rd toon leveled through pvp and I have no problem whatsoever with expertise. We need a stat to keep people from running nightmare modes and outgearing pvpers in pvp.

That being said I would like to see more Huttball maps. Different fields and such.

The people who want expertise removed are noobs and have no idea why it even exist. Trust me, the Devs will not be removing expertise from gear, it is essential to balance gear. Hence, the reason why Expertise is being BUFFED in patch 1.2...many many noobs posting in this thread lol

Edited by Ushela

Here is James' question for this week:

If you could make one change to PVP in SWTOR, what would you want it to be?

Change the absurd amount of CC in the game, or change resolve (either would help address the issue). Currently CC requires little thought and its just spammed like crazy without much consideration (from most players, the good ones still wait for the right moment).

Personally I vote to change resolve from: fill the bar up to become immune;

To this:

Stuns, Fears, Roots gives XX% resolve. (think 15% to 20% myself)

Slows give the target 5-10% resolve.

Roots give 10% resolve.

CC effects (Whirlwind, Shadow/Assassin sap, etc) give a high amount of resolve (40 or 50%?)

What does that mean though? Resolve would be changed to incourage INTELLIGENT use of CC (which will shine best in ranked warzones), instead of mindless spamming of CC. Under this system resolve would equal a direct % to resist any CC.

So lets say this:

Player 1 uses a slow on Player 2 (P2 now has 10% resolve)

Player 1 uses a root on Player 2 and it lands (Player 2 now has 20% resolve)

Player 1 uses a slow on Player 2 again and IT lands as well! (Player 2 now has 30% resolve)

Player 1 casts a stun (4 sec) on Player 2 to attempt to finish him off, Player 2 now has a 30% chance to resist ANY CC used on him (reguardless if it is from Player 1 or Player 3 or whoever). Player 2 does resist the stun and te fight continues...

Of course you could tweak the numbers as needed but it does add a few things to the PvP:

No more mindless CC spam, it encourages intelligent use of CC

You cannot stack any stat to negate CC

You can adjust the %s as needed to find the right balance

It will truely shine with a coordinated ranked warzone team that knows when, who, and which CC they should use.

My biggest gripe about 1.2 is that Ilum is being taken OUT without any replacement.

Why? Leave it as it was UNTIL it's replaced. All too many times I've seen MMO publishers take something out, promising to bring it back "fixed", and years later, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

I HATE warzones. Warzones are NOT pvp.

I want to fight on a planet. Not on a holodeck.

for some players pvp is the reason they play im sure, However PVE is the point of the game and having pvp ruin someones ability to go through their story line would be rediculas to say the least. If that were ever implemented on my PVE server i would just quit playing and cancel my subscription.

that being said having a few or more dedicated PVP driven servers isnt a half bad idea but doing it across all servers would ruin this great game

That's why I said PVP server.

If you are on a PVP server, you should expect PVP to be a factor in everything.

If you don't, the PVE servers are ---------> over there.

world pvp

objective based, capture hold type gameplay. An example of this would be; capturing the opposing forces base by killing X amount of NPC's within the base, including an epic base commander (and of course any players that happen to be defending). The successful side are rewarded with tokens and a world buff that effects every player of the winning faction (5% buff to endurance) which continues to positively effect players until such time as the losing side regain control of their lost base.

Bases should be upgradable and certain sub-bases should be able to be claimed by guilds. Capturing a main base should be no easy task and need a sizable force and tactics..

Warzones

larger in scale and 32 player (16 per side)

crowd control

The current system of diminishing returns isn't working as intended.

website leader boards

the main swtor website should have leaderboards for each class and each server. this should reflects monthly and weekly targets such as kills, deaths and medals won among other stats with achievements given to X percentage of the top players within their class.

Edited by Gethsemane

create a balmorra arms factory warzone with moving conveyor belts, catwalks, buttons to push to make conveyors move or make weapon systems turn on.

or during same faction pvp change the color of the aoe

Remove same faction PvP. This takes on ludicrous heights when the same guild members are pitted against one another.

I agree with this.

I see cheating all the time in warzones when this happens because I'll see the same guild on both sides. Sucks to be grouped with the bunch tasked with "throwing" the warzone.

I've been in Huttball like this when the "throw it" side will pick up the ball then run into the acid. I HATE losing on purpose.

My biggest gripe about 1.2 is that Ilum is being taken OUT without any replacement.

Why? Leave it as it was UNTIL it's replaced. All too many times I've seen MMO publishers take something out, promising to bring it back "fixed", and years later, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

I HATE warzones. Warzones are NOT pvp.

I want to fight on a planet. Not on a holodeck.

Agreed

please incentivise outlaws den(how hard would it be to throw in an arena where you can 2v2, 3v3, or 4v4) in the middle that's only reward is pride(and the amount of money you bet on your fight before you start)

Or at least give valor, or more chests? Something(I would talk about ilum, but i have a feeling you guys are throwing it out permanently)

right now, outlaws den is nice, we hang out with the other faction, and a couple duels happen(its like what a shared faction cantina should be like)

world pvp

objective based, capture hold type gameplay. An example of this would be; capturing the opposing forces base by killing X amount of NPC's within the base, including an epic base commander (and of course any players that happen to be defending). The successful side are rewarded with tokens and a world buff that effects every player of the winning faction (5% buff to endurance) which continues to positively effect players until such time as the losing side regain control of their lost base.

Bases should be upgradable and certain sub-bases should be able to be claimed by guilds. Capturing a main base should be no easy task and need a sizable force and tactics..

Warzones

larger in scale and 32 player (16 per side)

crowd control

The current system of diminishing returns isn't working as intended.

website leader boards

the main swtor website should have leaderboards for each class and each server. this should reflects monthly and weekly targets such as kills, deaths and medals won among other stats with achievements given to X percentage of the top players within their class.

I like this...

-I Like the the way the DR system is supposed to function It allows smart organised teams to lock down people when needed.... it's just a shame it's so buggy.

-Personally Illum is to small for a proper would pvp area.

-The objectives don't have any real value to anything outside extra Val in a WZ which in turn kills the world PVP.

Linking a major quest to it was just silly. Having sub quests worth minor valor perhaps some sort of usable pvp stim/pot etc would of worked better. Having said that I've never been a fan of a PVP stat it's just proves that PVP was never really a mainstay of the game.

-You can have PVE gear work quite fine in PVP and have similar gear available via PVP if the number people do it correctly. It seems the main problem lies in the vaules of everything in the game being to large/Skewed

-Also never been a fan of Heal reduction skills/BG penalties again just seems to scream PVP was not a mainstay of the game.

- I don't get the OP nerf since the agents seems to be intended as a bursty char controlled by severe resource starvation if you mash everything at once. Why not put a internal CD linked to all 3-4 main atk abilites so even if all are off the main CD you can't go 123 dead to some classes.

Never really had a problem with them myself you win some you lose some depending on what you had up that's just how games go.

-a better healer friendlily interface would also be welcomed

-more animation related perhaps but fix buggy maul's and other spells on sins ...not having reliable access to my big hitter is bleh.

^^^^ that last point being fixed would keep me in the game.

If you could make one change to PVP in SWTOR, what would you want it to be?

Add random elements to pvp.

* Different map layouts

* Roaming Elite (a chance for one to cause major chaos and great fun for the whole family)

* If you lose the Expertise, maybe have a random generated Team buff (a Defense, Offense, Regen, etc.)

Stuff like that, mate.

:ph_cheers: